Wolf's Rain

Dagger

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LunaTsukino
They are finally showing it on English TV. I've been wanting to watch Wolf's rain in ages...

It's on tonight and i'm getting in a hyper mood. I've only seen a few epsiodes but it's great.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Grave Yard']I saw this anime in Best Buy for $100. It contains the whole series plus 4 OVA episodses and the soundtrack. Might just pick it up.[/quote]Whatever you have to pay for it, Wolf's Rain is well worth it. I'm a big Wolf's Rain fan: I tell people non-stop how it's my second favorite anime series to date (next to Last Exile). Although it has plenty of action, the series is geared more toward those interested in a good story rather than a fast paced show.

Sporting a really interesting storyline, fantastic art, fun loving characters, great music, a perfect atmosphere for the type of post-apocalyptic story it is, this series truly has it all. It should be that the music (beside from the opening and closing) mainly serves to set the atmosphere, likewise there is far less music during the actual series.

The only major problem I see is the Recollections episode (disc 4 rings a bell but a might be wrong). Chobits did the same with disc 7 - a recap CD filled with absolutely no new content and just a damn waste of money. The intention is clear, recaps are meant to fill in the gaps when a series airs on television (Wolf's Rain is a classic example in which a large gap in time might have confused fans in thinking the end of the series was sooner than it actually was). Nevertheless in the end it is simply to generate excess profit on material that hasn't been well formulated: many fans complain about it, few ever buy these "fill in" or "catch up" type DVDs. And no, the silly "extra" on the Chobits disc isn't worth the price of the DVD.

That being said these type of "fill in" episodes are not essential to catch if you're in love with the series and despite what some fans say, they have little value in that they let you see your favorite characters again (after all, if you really wanted to see them that bad, you could buy a poster... with these episodes you will literally be watching older episodes condensed for your viewing pleasure).

That was the only problem I saw with Wolf's Rain, and if you rent the DVDs before buying them or buy them individually you'll be just as upset as I was with it. In the end the best option is to buy the box set of Wolf's Rain, you'll be getting all the episodes for a good price, even if it does include the recollections volume (at least you aren't buying it alone).

The ending of the series is incredibly thought provoking and is in many cases the only viable ending for a series like Wolf?s Rain. Without giving away any spoilers, many fans have said that they dislike the ending merely because it was emotionally intense. Watch the series, regardless of whether or not you like the ending, one thing you can be sure of: the ending is just like the rest of the series, pure quality work on screen.

A great series and well worth buying!

Guest Stafal-chan
Heyy i know they stopped airing it a while back but umm was that the end??? like Kiba and Cheza in the end... i got confused. me and one of my friends were thinking that was the ending but it was a little confusing. TT.TT i was sooo sad when [spoiler]Toboe died[/spoiler] he was my favorite ^_^ he had Tsukasa's voice over person too! ^_^ i liked Kiba and Toboe and Sume<-(i might have spelled that wrong) the best. Hegei <-(i can't even spell normal words let alone some names ^_^*sweatdrop*) was okay... wolf's rain was a good one ^_^

[quote name='Grave Yard']I just saw the first 3 episodes and so far the series is great. The animation is beautiful, the story is intresting, and the chacters are great. Im really glad I picked this one up.[/quote] :animeswea I'm so glad you like it! It really is neat... apparently I didn't stear you wrong with my brief review of it.

(WARNING: BIG END SPOILERS: doing this for email subscribers where the spoiler tag doesn't work)

[quote name='Stafal-chan']Heyy i know they stopped airing it a while back but umm was that the end???[/quote]Was [i]what[/i] the end? The end of the series? Yes. If you mean what "happened," [spoiler]the whole idea of reincarnation/eternal reoccurrence was a key theme in the film. As was the idea of destiny, happiness and sadness. Likewise I thought that while the ending was full of sadness, the idea of things starting again really was heart warming...[/spoiler] at first it might come across as [spoiler]sad[/spoiler] in and of itself, but I really think the ending of the series was the only possible ending they could have used (keeping the emotional impact of the series seemingly not for nothing).

The ending of Wolf's Rain sucked, I mean [spoiler]everyone ends bad. I felt so bad for Cheza and Kiba, poor Toboe, Blue was so sad all the time in that bloddy city. Everything that starts bad ends bad.[/spoiler] The episodes in between however were kind of nice.

[quote name='IceRose']The ending of Wolf's Rain sucked, I mean...[/quote]
One of the things I really don't like is how a lot of people say the ending is bad solely because it is sad (a common trend among anime fans). I'm sorry but something about that doesn't sit well with me. Playing on Adult Swim, it was fully realized early on that the concepts found within Wolf's Rain should be taken from a mature point of view.

Is it a mature point of view to find an ending to a series sad? Sure. Is it a mature point of view to dislike an ending? Certainly... it certainly isn't one to base disliking it solely on the fact that it made one sad.

You may very well disagree with me in [b]both[/b] those cases - thinking the ending is both sad as well as poorly done, I respect that, as I would any opinion. And yet saying the ending "sucked" simply because you find it sad is something that perplexes me, the logical connection eludes me based on what little you said in your post.

Are you saying that it "sucked" in a positive way, that you liked the ending as far as anime series endings are concerned but find it extremely sad? Would make more sense! Unless of course you have more reasons why you feel the ending "sucked," in which case indulge me if you will, as I feel it contributes more to the conversation at hand than an unsupported opinion.

Of course I should also very much like to know what you mean by "starts bad" too. But I?ll wait for a reply? and don't feel like I'm "attacking" your opinion, I'm not, we could be discussing dish detergent for all I care... still would like something a little more than unsupported opinion for conversational purposes.
[quote name='Darkartic']i think the series was pretty cool. Kiba would have to be my favorite character. How would it feel to be that close to a wolf's entity?...[/quote]Dunno what you mean by "wolf's entity" but I'll tell you, Kiba and Lord Darcia are my favorites in the series. :)

I just finished episode 10 and this is so far one of my favorite series. I love all the chacters they all have alot of personality. The action is also very well done theres just not alot of it. The animation is outstanding everything is highly detailed its fluid and crisp. I seriously recomend this series to anyone. I cant wait to see more. :animesmil

[quote name='Grave Yard']I just finished episode 10 and this is so far one of my favorite series.[/quote]
I'm glad you're enjoying it! This was mentioned earlier, but I wanted to reiterate that you can safely skip episodes 15 through 18--in other words, the entire fourth DVD. Those episodes contain no new material, and you'll probably be a lot more pleased with the show if you jump from episode 14 to episode 19.

~Dagger~

I just finished 11-14 I really havent had time to watch. One of my favorite moments would have to be when [spoiler]all the wolves faced off against Lord Darcia for the first time[/spoiler]. It sent chills down my spine.

Update 1/11/06

Finally finished 15-26 and didnt find the recap episodes that bad probly because I hadnt watched in a while and it helped catch me up. The end of 26 was confusing but its not really the end I still have the OVAs to watch.Just wanted to thank people for the recomendation I love this series :D .

Update

Just finished 26-30 and that would have to be the greatest ending in an anime Ive ever seen. It was so powerful and had such a strong impact I loved the chacters it was so tragic.I almost cried when [spoiler] Toboe is dying and apolgizing that he couldnt protect Blues master[/spoiler]. Im gonna watch the sub next.

• 3 weeks later...
I noticed that you wanted this thread to be resurrected, so... here I am! :animesmil

I also loved the ending, so much so that it inspired me to get off my lazy behind and write an article about it. Even though I don't usually say stuff like, "If you didn't appreciate the ending, then you didn't understand the show," I do think that kind of applies to Wolf's Rain. One doesn't have to relish the ending--in fact, it's reasonable for watching those final episodes to be a little excruciating--but it suits the show. I hate [spoiler]reset[/spoiler] endings as a matter of principle, but Wolf's Rain carried it off perfectly.

It provides all the closure it needs to, it sheds a new light on the OP animation, and it makes sense. It's a very elegant ending.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=DarkRed]Wolf's Rain is one amazing show, there isn't a catagory that it can rightfully fit into. I was flipping through the channels and my sister points at the screen and says "WOLVES!!!" so I checked it so it would flip to that at that time. At first (before seeing it) I thought it'd be really dumb, I mean what can you possibly do with a story about wolves? Well somehow they managed to make one awesome show. Wolves have been "extinct" and can put an illusion so they look human. The nobles, the psycho people. It's great all around! So I ended up watching the whole series. The end was sad, I cried because [spoiler]everyone died[/spoiler] but then it restarted (Dagger you're right...they managed to pull it off ok) and when the box set came out I bought it and depleted my $ :animeswea but it was worth it. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Dagger']It provides all the closure it needs to, it sheds a new light on the OP animation, and it makes sense. It's a very elegant ending. [/quote]

I completely agree with you. It wraped up the series well. It really didnt leave any unanswered questions.It also didnt have alot of wtf? just happened parts unlike Evangelion.

Id say the best part of this series would be the chacters. They were all great even if chacters like Toboe or Hige annoyed you by the end they grow on you. You really begin to love them all. They all have distinct personalties and feel very real.

I loved the dub to this anime they did an excellent job with the voice acting and picked the correct voice for each chacter.

I cant get this show out of my mind to me it truly is perfection despite the filler episodes.

I love wolf Rain I never missed an episode. But i didnt get in the end. What happened? Everyone died and came back! Whats up with that? Can someone try to answer my question!! My fav characters were: Kiba, Toboe, and Blue. I didnt like Tsume that much. Wolf Rain was a good anime,confusing but great!

[quote name='Grave Yard']I loved the music also. I own the soundtrack my favorite track would have to be strangers.[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkRed]
I own the soundtrack also and I love Strangers!!! I also love Could you bite the Hand and Valse de la Luna. The latter is very calming. Well most of it is. Nice and relaxing.[/COLOR]

I loved this series, even with one of of the most depressing endings I've ever seen! I had a thought though. I wonder how the ending would have gone if Cher [spoiler]was still alive[/spoiler]. Darcia seemed to have a soft spot for her. There was nothing romantic, but he was always willing to have her around. Too bad they [spoiler] had to kill her off [/spoiler] in episode 27.

Guest Night Prowler
LOL, im guessing that we can't put any spoilers here No Probs with that ^-^.

I've seen upto EP 24 and have just found some new respect for Toboe (Even though he is still at the bottom of my Fav Characters list).

Guest Stafal-chan
Yeah i loved Wolf's Rain the soundtrack for the show i liked but i have to say i was a little disappointd with the soundtrack i bought it just didn't sem as good :animeswea but i dunno. the ending left me somewhat baffled though. i tooktill the next episode aired to realize holy ***** it's over :animestun but i really did enjoy it. I liked Kiba the best Tsume was just cool awww kawaii i loved Toboe [spoiler]i was sooo sad when he died[/spoiler] <-umm i hope that got hidden rite i dun wanna ruin it for ppl but i'm still a newbie sry if it didn't work :animeswea

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Nice try. Stafal-chan.
I already explained this for you. [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?p=708084#post708084]Link[/url]
I fixed it for you here, but for next time...
To hide spoilers use the [spoiler@] tags. (without the @ sign) Just put [spoiler@] and [/spoiler] around your text (without the @ sign) and whatever you wrote will be covered. It will look like this ---> [spoiler]You can't see me![/spoiler]
If you still don't understand, click the "Edit Post" button to edit this post and see how I did it.

A few things to remember for the future though.
1) Don't double post. There's an "Edit Post" button you can use.
2) If you need help, PM me or any of the other moderators and we'll help you out. There is no need to create "help" posts (especially if they are make a thread become off topic.)

Thanks. ^^

-Arvi[/COLOR][/SIZE]