OtakuBoards

What GBA game would you recommend for someone who plays RPGs?

ChibiHorsewoman

Hmm, well about the dynamics of it I disagree. I don't particularily think that FFTA was a ground breaking title as it had all been done before. I mean, take Tactics Ogre for example. That one was a Strategic RPG, and I hear it was done very well. However, I only found myself enjoying FFTA at random intervals.

Admittedly I was incredibly excited about it. So excited that I spent some of my holiday dollars on the game in a mall when I was in America. Yet after playing Final Fantasy Tactics for PSX, I was expecting another epic story. Epics can be loved and hated. However, I did not recieve one.

Anyway, enough of my rant on that game and onto my decision.

If I were you, I'd purchase him Breath of Fire II. I've said it before, but I stand by it. I've recently clocked about 6 hours into it and I've found it's a very nice RPG. It draws together the simplicity for a newcomer and new details for a keen RPG player. You should be able to get it for a cheap price aswell.

Fine, if you want a bloody GBA game then i would say either of the Golden Sun games, FFTA and Fire Emblem.
Both FFTA and Fire Emblem are not actual RPGs, but are in fact strategy games.

Note: If you want games for a particular system make it clear in the topic heading. I may have said PS2 games but if you noticed i said any of the Final Fantasy series which does in fact include FFTA.

[QUOTE=Meggido]Fine, if you want a bloody GBA game then i would say either of the Golden Sun games, FFTA and Fire Emblem.
Both FFTA and Fire Emblem are not actual RPGs, but are in fact strategy games.

Note: If you want games for a particular system make it clear in the topic heading. I may have said PS2 games but if you noticed i said any of the Final Fantasy series which does in fact include FFTA.[/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Well, if the thread title is all that you read before replying, you shouldn't be replying at all. You should, at the very least, read the entire opening post, and it's usually also a good idea to look over the rest of the posts in the thread before replying. Doing that helps to keep posts relevant, on topic, and informative.

Also, simply recommending anything in the Final Fantasy series doesn't cut it anyway. Just posting a list of recommendations doesn't do the author of the thread any good, because while it does tell them that you liked those games, a list of titles doesn't provide any information about the games to help them decide whether or not they would like those games. (Or, in this case, whether that person's husband would like those games).[/color]

[quote name='Charles']Don't get Dragon Warrior III. It's targeted to a very specific audience. It's hardcore dungeon crawling and combat.[/quote]

I don't mean to offend you but "WHAT ARE YOU CARZY" Before i became a hardcore gamer one of the first RPG's that i played was Dragon warriar 3 and it was what made me the gamer that i am toady the only Really in your words "Hardcore" Dragon warrior games are the original jappenise ones. so unless you think that chibi horsewoman is going to buy the original japenese version than her husband should not have to much trouble.

Shippou

i agree with fire phoenix. golden sun is a great buy for any rpg gamers, i also suggest zone of the enders: the fist of mars. it is a tactics type game and it is sort of long so it should keep your husband occupied. any final fantasy game is great. my suggestion as a game analyst is an rpg game that is long, challenging, and has quirks that no other rpg game has. for instance zone of the enders has a targeting system for attacks and evasion, and golden sun has magic that is useable in the actual towns, ( no more waiting to see what a technique does outside of town! huzzah!). if your husband is looking for a long game to play, buy final fantasy tactics advance. it has 300 different missions to take on, so it will take up time. (i personally havent finished it yet) well, i hope my advice helped. but the bottom line is only you know what your husband likes. try askin him what game he wants and buy it for him. i use that technique with my friends, and they never know what their gettin.

cw
sesshomaru out

[color=teal]It's debatable whether or not Metroid Fusion, or any other Metroid game for that matter, is a RPG styled game. It fits under the genre adventure/platformer officially, but I think it shares many qualities that you'd find in any reputable RPG. Here's my analysis:

The health packs [I]are[/I] HP, and you will only gain an increase as you progress further on. The style may differ from traditional RPGs since experience points and constant battles are required to grow stronger in them, but it's not like you're expected to reach level 50 at the beginning of the game, is it? Missile expansions bare a resemblance to MP. Like the health packs, they'll increase as you go further, increasing your capabilities with missiles as well as the quantity you can store.

Now the different abilities you gain and new, more powerful lasers and such can be seen as 'spells'. Some RPGs require an amount of AP before you ascend to a stronger version of the previous mediocre spell, and that makes Metroid no different; the basics are available at the beginning and as you progress and you'll find that as the monsters become harder you'll advance to the heavy stuff. That's the basis that most RPGs meet at, right?

The story may lack and won't live up to those of RPGs, but that's not what counts. Gameplay is a solid factor these days, and Metroid Fusion makes use of that. Metroid: Zero Mission is also one to look out for. I haven't played it so I wouldn't know what it's like, but being a Metroid game I'd expected it to live up to its standards? it's safe to get someone else's opinion though. ^_^[/color]

Any of the castlevania series available for the GBA would be a good choice.

They contain lots of strategic battles and are quite easy to play, all of them are proper RPGs but don't actually give you that many choices.Lots of battling, item gauinign and stat improving gameplay in them.Even the opputunity to chnage your type of weapon and it's magical abilties by using a number of differenmt systmes.I've got circle of the moon in which you use a quite complcated DSS system a Dual somethign, something which changes magical effects eg. mixing the mars card with the black dog card gives you a gun.

I don't have any rpgs gameboy games but my friend does....I'd go with shippou's idea with dragon warriors 3.....and i think there are some lord of the ring games. you can play as legolas aragorn or gimli.....but I'd probably recomend dragon warriors 3

If you're looking for a less hardcore game, then Recommend Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. It's not the most difficult or involved game out there, but it's fun, and that's what counts in my oppinion. Mario & Luigi has a great battle system that's as close to a perfect blend of action/platformer/whatever-you-call-it and RPG elements as you can get. The difficulty steadily increases (even though it never gets too high if you know what you're doing), something I've experienced in no other games that I can remember playing. Oh, and it's a very funny game, too, especially for Mario series fans. From a barrel-dodgeing sequence remeniscent of the original Donkey Kong to a crazy underling named Fawful (Fink-Rat!) to a sequence where the game shamelesly makes fun of the Mario series (which happens a lot) by requiring you to fix the plumbing, there's enough laughs for anyone.

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]I'm getting my husband one of those little hand held game boys, but I have no idea what game to send along with it since the only video games I ever play are Sims and DDR . So that said I'm looking for suggestions.

Anything would help since I'm pretty much clueless in this kind of situation. At least I admit it.

Thanks in advance,
CHW

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Chibi Horsewoman[/FONT][/color][/QUOTE]

I prefer Advance wars. The second one is the best, and easiest. It's rpg AND stratgy. PERFECT!

• 1 month later...
[QUOTE=Wingnut Ninja][color=teal]So, what did you get your husband in the end?
[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]An RCA MP3 player. Yeah, I know not exactly a Game boy advance, but he spends more time listening to music than he does playing video games. It was what he said he'd rather have. But thanks for your help and insight.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
What I really recomend is Fire Emblem for the GBA. It's a tactician RPG. If that's not your style, then I greatly recommend one of the Golden Suns. Also, something that that you will get addicted to. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, is a really good RPG. I don't know anything else to recomend. Probabley Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I don't know how good it is, I don't have it.