OtakuBoards

Tales of Symphonia

Dragonballzman

Anyone else heard of this? [SIZE=1]Well, of course you have, but I couldn't think of anything better to start with...>_>;;[/SIZE]

Its getting great sales in Japan, and I'm not surprised. The graphics look amazing, and I've heard the battle system is real time, relying on combos and stuff, unlike Final Fantasy-style RPGs. Also, you only really control one person, all the others are A.I. and you order them about, instead of actually playing as them. [SIZE=1]I hope that made sense...>_>;;[/SIZE]

Gamecube doesn't have many good RPGs, so I'm really looking forwards to this.

IGN has a few pictures, and Gamespot has some movies, if you're interested. I recommend you download the intro FMV. It's 25mb, so it'll take a few hours for dial up users (such as myself -_-;; ), but it's worth it. Hopefully the actual game is just as good.

Anyway, what are all your thoughts on this, and can anyone give me an estimate of when it's going to come out in America, so I can add a few months/years to find when it'll come out in England? XD Gotta organize mah munneh, yanno. XD

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to it. It got great reviews, it's part of a great series... The Tales series actually sells VERY well on average in Japan. It's up there with FF, Dragon Quest, etc as a large RPG franchise. If you don't own the various PSX versions, I suggest you check them out.

Anyway, I believe Namco has confirmed that they will be bringing it out in the US (Baten Kaitos is still in the air, but it is on their US site, so here's hoping). I wouldn't expect it until Spring 2004 here in the US at the earliest (its tentative date is April).

Yay! People who know about this, other than me!
The Tales series actually started a while ago, and a game called Tales of Phantasia was realeased for the super famicom (aka japanese super nintendo). Seeing as I do not know any japanese to play it, I had to find .. well, you all know what I had to find, to play it patched in English. All I can say is that it has some of the best graphics for the snes, and some of the best sound too. (And of course, the story line is awesome.) They ported that game to the gameboy, then to the psx, and now they are porting it to the gba, here in the US. Very good game. I don't even own a Game Cube, and i'm looking forward to this.

• 6 months later...
Yes, yes I do want to play this game. I like RPGs, but I usually find many ones for Gamecube cliche and rather a bore (minusing FF: CC). This game is actually different. It's battle system intrigues me, the storyline is fresh, the graphics are amazing, and, what the nizzle!, there are even anime cutscenes in this beast with full-fledge sound and voices from cool voice actors!

[size=1]Just some quick screens:[/size]
[IMG]http://www.gamecubicle.com/images/games/symphonia-4.jpg[/IMG]

[img]http://www.gamecubicle.com/images/games/symphonia-5.jpg[/img]

Sorry that they're low quality, but the web doesn't seem to supply any screens that aren't crap-tastic, so to speak XD

It comes out this month, peoples! Prepare!

Well, there really aren't many RPGs on the GC as it is. I can think of three (I don't include action adventure games like Zelda). Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. It'll be my first game purchase since... I think since Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life.

As for the story, it seems rather standard stuff like most Tales games. Save the world. At least the game seems to throw interesting spins on this via some twists and turns to the formula, so that's a good thing. The characters seem interesting and likable enough, so no complaints there. Seems more of a throwback to older RPGs than modern stuff like FFX-2 or whatever.

I agree about the battle system. IT's the best part of Tales games. I especially like the fact that you can play four players in these battles. My brothers watch me play these games sometimes, so it'd be nice to give them a chance to play sometimes.

There's plenty of shots at IGN and Gamespot, by the way.

[url]http://media.cube.ign.com/media/481/481670/imgs_1.html[/url]

I'm surprised that Nacmo stuck to their original release date so closely. The second week of July isn't too far from June 30th.

[color=teal]This is one game that I'm actually going to buy so I can play over and over like I did with some FF games, as opposed to usually renting.

I'm looking forward to the battle system most of all; mainly because I've never seen anything like it and it bids to make it a whole lot more chaotic, especially that you only get to control your own character. With that, obviously there'll be a much wider sense of tactical gaming and stuff like that because the rest of your squad's down to the AI, though ultimately you're the one who chooses their demeanours and abilities. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a god-sim, it definitely isn't one in terms of gameplay, but it endorses that only the fruit of your training will let you prevail.

In a way, I'm kind of glad that Namco have rephrased from letting multiplayer mode have anything to do with the GBA connectivity deal. For them to pull a stunt like that could very well crush the aesthetic interest that fans have, namely so, they won't enjoy it as much as they did with previous Tales games, I know I wouldn't if it was any bad. Some games are made for it, and some aren't, and when those games that aren't made for it actually have that feature, then it's widely just a ploy that has no concern for the adaptability the game may or may not have.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1][color=purple][i][b]AH-hahahahahaaaa! ! ![/b][/i]

Yes, this game is something I have been deprived of since Skies of Arcadia. (I've yet to play FF: CC, though.) I've ordered it online yesterday, and I should expect it by the end of the week.

Oh, I so want this game so badly. I'm foaming at the mouth. I twitch on random occasions.

Well, I've played Tales of Phantasia, and lemme tell you, that game had everything almost every RPG then lacked. I've fallen in love with hand-drawn graphics and I can't get up. But bad thing is, I haven't played the PSX Tales games. I guess I deserve a spankin' for it, too.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to the storyline and characters more than anything. And I like Tara Strong as a voice actress, mainly since she voiced my favorite characters from PPG and FFX/X-2, and also just for the simple fact that she's pretty good in general.

And finally, I'm tired of battles that eventually lose their purpose after about a dozen or so, or after the third or fourth key battle/boss. ("Oh, wow, I get EXP and Gold, nice." *yawns*) And most I've played just require an "attack, hurl magic, then attack some more, and heal when necessary" formula. I dunno---there's just something that piques my interest about ToS's battle system.

Even if I do end up rerpeating this formula as I've done in the past, at least I can do it in style.[/color][/size]

Namco is making a cute little anime inspired rpg known as Tales of Symphonia. This games graphics look awesome but game pro says the battle system is kind of odd for hardcore rpg gamers. Personally I think that this game is going to put Namco RPG's on the map. What do you all think of the game if you have heard of it. There are some screen shots below.

[img]http://www.gamepro.com/screen_viewer.cfm?product_id=13815&genustext=GameCube&family=&posnum=5[/img]

[img]http://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/gamecube/games/reviews/images/36710-19-2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/gamecube/games/reviews/images/36710-21-2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/gamecube/games/previews/images/36054-18-2.jpg[/img]

I merged the threads. Next time, check to make sure that there isn't already a thread on a game you would like to make a thread about before you go ahead and make the thread.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to Tales of Symphonia and I'm seriously considering buying it. I'll definitely have enough money to do so come next week, anyway.

I've heard some complaints about the cliche story, but eh...even after that, the reviewers usually admit that the gameplay and battle system far and away make up for that slight shortcoming. And I've also heard that the characters are good, as well, so that makes up for the story even more, I suppose.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple] [/color][/size] [quote name='Strayed Soul']. . . .but game pro says the battle system is kind of odd for hardcore rpg gamers.[/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]Yeah, well, screw them to the moon. It would only be odd if the "hardcore" RPG gamers were n00bs that are too used to the generic battle systems common since Dragon Warrior, and haven't broadened their battle-system-oriented horizons, yet or at all. :p (Not that there's anything seriously wrong with those common concepts. :rolleyes: )

What I mean is, any hardcore RPG gamer that has played Tales of Phantasia (and since I haven't played the other Tales games yet, I'm unsure if whether or not the battle system's the same, so I'm including those, too), then it should be somewhat familiar and/or expected, but not quite odd.

But then again with the people used to common battle systems. :p

Anywho, I see the battle-system kinda like Star Ocean: 2nd Story. I like it when the fights get all hellish and hectic. ^_^ But then again, I only like it when I know what's going on. (O___O)

[b]Ahahaha! This by far is my favorite screenshot! :whoops: Take a look at this beauty![/b][/color][/size]
[img]http://rpgfan.com/pics/tales-gc/intro-002.jpg[/img]

[b]Aww, cute. Here's Colette, uh, poking Lloyd's hand. >_O Anyways, this one is nice, too.# ^__^#[/b]
[img]http://rpgfan.com/pics/tales-gc/intro-018.jpg[/img]

[QUOTE=dark_serena][SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple] Anywho, I see the battle-system kinda like Star Ocean: 2nd Story. I like it when the fights get all hellish and hectic. ^_^ But then again, I only like it when I know what's going on. (O___O)
[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

I suppose that's one of the better comparisons, although I'd say this is even more hectic because of the movement system. I have really loved the game thus far; story, characters and design. The battle system really takes the cake though.

The main difference between the two systems is basically that Star Ocean's utilizes full 3D movement while ToS forces you to stay in straight lines light a tournament fighter. Because of this, you often have three of four characters next to an enemy, all attacking at once (and at a full 60 FPS, mind you). If you're all throwing out combos and special moves and such at once, it's really just a blur of attacks.

The straight paths the game forces you on really enhance the system more than detract from it. It allows you to press different directions on the control stick to pull off various moves with the B button. So up and B can have a move assigned to it, down and B, left/right and B, B standing still and up and down on the C-stick. Basically six different moves. Plus you have A just for attacks (and what you press on the stick also affects this). X guards.

Beyond just chopping things to pieces, you have to worry about enemy weaknesses, linking combos, blocking attacks, breaking enemy block moves, etc. At times so much is going on that it seems almost impossible to keep up, but you will get good enough that you'll be chaining together huge combos and not getting hit. My max combo thus far was 37 hits, I believe. Combos only count if they're direct hits. Hitting a blocked character will not raise the number and often kills the combo.

A few hours into the game you learn about Unison Attacks. Basically, you're given a meter. The more attacks you manage to land successfully, the more is filled up. When it's completely filled you can press Z. You're then given a few seconds to input a combo with the A, B, Y and X buttons. Each button corresponds to a characters move that you set in the U. Attack menu. Pressing different directions can change the setting as well.

What this does is have all your characters use a special move at once on a single character. Usually it does a decent amount of damage, but nothing insane. However, if you link specific moves in specific orders, you can form even more special combos. These inflict great amounts of damage on average.

It's important to note that special moves use up TP. TP is kind of like MP or SP in other games. The stronger the move, the more it uses. The good thing about this game is that you regain 1 TP for every successful, non-blocked blow you land on an enemy. So you can regain it slowly and are obviously rewarded for fighting well and chaining combos.

You learn more special moves as you go along. Moves you're in the process of learning appear in your Tech menu in blue. If you keep doing the move above them, you eventually will unlock the new skill and be able to use it normally. Like doing a bunch of Sword Rains will let you unlock Sword Rain Strike eventually.

The cool thing about all of this is that the game rates you after each battle. You're told how long it took, your max combo and are given bonus XP depending on how well you did. You're also given a GRADE, which is usually a small positive or negative number. GRADE points can be turned in for rare stuff throughout the game.

Hopefully that all made sense. While it is comparable to Star Ocean, I would say it's pretty much a league in its own otherwise. It's a wonderful change of pace from traditional battle systems.

I wrote more about it on Group Sounds (the link is in my signature), but I won't bother posting it all here since it'd be redundant lol.

[size=1][color=purple]You've got it already?! :moron:

Gah! I was supposed to get it late this week! Well, I'm expecting next week, though, guaranteed. I hate "estimated deliveries."

Anywho, despite the awful name-choice of the two main characters (Llyod and Colette? Gimme a f***in' break--sounds like a sitcom from the 70's :p ), I think the graphics are a lot like Dark Cloud 2's, and I think that's great. I like the real simplicity of everything.

The addition of cooking stuff adds an odd, yet realistic touch to it as well, and I'm happy to know that this RPG also has a World Map to get myself lost on. :whoops:[/color][/size] :p

Guest Shoryuken
I got my copy of tales about for days ago and i can say its easily the best rpg
for gamecube, the game play is awesome the graphics look really sweet exept for the this one part of the game that has a cheesey explosion but otherwise sweet, the story though is not on the emotional leval of some of the better final fantasys, the anime like charecters will keep you drawn in especially in whats reminesent to the active time events in final fantasy 9, it helps flesh out the story as well helps you where to go and they are quite hormorous..

Over all this is a great game so i reccomend any rpgs lovers to definetly but this game..

I aree with your post, but I just wanted to single this one out...

[quote name='Shoryuken']...the graphics look really sweet exept for the this one part of the game that has a cheesey explosion...[/quote]

Seriously.

What is with this? It's not really a big deal in the scheme of things because the [spoiler]demolition of human ranches[/spoiler] really doesn't happen all that often... but it seriously looks like a pseudo 3D render I'd see in Donkey Kong Country on the SNES. Dithered and everything. Totally out of place. Could look so much better.

[color=blue]I just got my copy of the game! I must say so far I'm in love.But you know something,the main charter in red that you will play. His voice sounds like Robin off of Teen Titans,maybe its just me:) .Well I won't say to much for those who haven't played yet. But the graphics and the anime is all soooo good. Yeah I beat my TOS game 7-27-04!![/color]

[quote name='Inuyasha311][color=blue'].But you know something,the main charter in red that you will play. His voice sounds like Robin off of Teen Titans,maybe its just me:) .[/color][/quote]

Well, you'd be correct. The voice actor is Scott Menville who plays, as you mentioned, Robin from Teen Titans and Max from Dark Cloud 2.

Anyway, I preordered this game awhile back and got it yesterday (along with a free poster ~_^). To say the least, it was money well-spent. I like how the player gets graded on how well they perform in battle. The battles are a lot fun because it's so fast-paced. Though I wish you had more movement, it's still fun nonetheless. I love trying to perform as many combos as I can (Sword Rain being my favorite attack right now with Tempest right after it). The most combos I've gotten is 18, though.

Right now I'm at (better put up spoiler tags just in case) [spoiler]that port town after the Ossa Trail. To those past it, is level 11 good enough to go send that letter for that girl Lyla?[/spoiler]

[quote name='digitalshadow]Right now I'm at (better put up spoiler tags just in case) [spoiler']that port town after the Ossa Trail. To those past it, is level 11 good enough to go send that letter for that girl Lyla?[/spoiler][/quote]

I don't really know what level I was at at that point, but I think you'll be okay. Really, as long as you fight in pretty much every battle you wind up in you'll be fine. I never bothered to escape anything and I've had little beating the crap out of any monster in my way.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Wingnut Ninja][color=teal']I've been meaning to ask, how smoothly does the game run overall? I've heard great things about the gameplay and I'd hate for it to be ruined by buggy misconceptions and careless glitches.[/color][/quote]

Do you mean in terms of framerate and such?

I've never seen it slow down in battles. It's a pretty constant 60 FPS, from what I understand. The only dips seem to be out on the field when you're running around between towns, and they only happen in certain instances.

I've not heard of any other bugs. Some guy was complaining that he messed up some Sheena (a character in the game) thing thanks to the game's set-up... but apparently he was just dumb and didn't play far enough to see the outcome.

[color=teal]I'm sure that won't be a problem.

More over, I was talking about glitches. Like for example, if you cast a spell or whatever it is that you do in the game, will it occasionally miss or go through enemies even though you had it blatantly on target? Stuff like that.

This was a problem I had with FFCC, and while it wasn't consistent enough to be a problem, it did mess with how I felt about the game as a whole because afterall, it's very unforgiving when it comes to damage, and I'm guessing that ToS would be too.[/color]

Just thought Id share this with everyone. [spoiler]I beath Mithos at level 55, then his second form, and I still had all characters alive, and didn't use a single life bottle
Oh, then when I uploaded another game file, I went and did Devil's Arm's sidquest, and when I beat Abyssion, I was only level 63 all, and I got out alive with all Life bottles in tact.[/spoiler] I don't think anyone can top that...

[QUOTE=Yunsung]Just thought Id share this with everyone. [spoiler]I beath Mithos at level 55, then his second form, and I still had all characters alive, and didn't use a single life bottle
Oh, then when I uploaded another game file, I went and did Devil's Arm's sidquest, and when I beat Abyssion, I was only level 63 all, and I got out alive with all Life bottles in tact.[/spoiler] I don't think anyone can top that...[/QUOTE]

I'll admit [spoiler]you did beat me on Abyssion. I was level 68. ^^;; But really, I don't know why some players say that you must be level 75 to stand a chance against him. It's not really hard as it is long. But to be honest I found the battle kinda funny, because Raine learned Revitalize during the battle. But here's the thing, you have to use Healing Circle 50 times to get that spell right? Well I remember the counter for Healing Circle was about 5. I found it funny that Raine used Healing Circle about 45 times during that battle. I wasn't exactly paying attention to how many times she used it, lol. I was using Lloyd and I died about 3 times. My fault really because I'm not really good at using the guard command nor am I good at running out of the way on time. Besides Raine, I had Presea and Regal.

And with Mithos, well, I held off fighting him until I completed as much as I could on the game, so I was about level 80 when I fought him. Did you finish Niefelheim (that hidden dungeon) and the Coliseum? I beat both and I'd love to hear how others beaten them.[/spoiler]

I don't know if this is a spoiler or not.
In ToS how you treated the members of your party determined how things went in the game like what Items you get and such. These characters were your best freinds (although Sheena and Collete were obvious girlfriends and Zelos would have been shonen ai if it weren't a Nintendo game). Nearly everyone I know out there in real world has gotten Collette as the closest one relationship wise. Me included. My question is for those of you who finished it, who were your top characters in the relationship bracket?
Mine were: Collette, Genis and Sheena.
I don't know how Sheena ended up in there I thought I had too mean to her.