OtakuBoards

on sleepless roads the sleepless go

Lady Macaiodh

here's the scenario:

i've been in & out of the hospital for the past 3 years. i had to drop out of college b/c of this & haven't been able to hold down a steady job. i had to move back in w/ my parents b/c i couldn't afford to live on my own. now my parents want me to go to a rehabilitation center/institution for 4-6 months. i really don't want to go. i don't want to put my life on hold anymore & i don't think it can really help me. but my parents say they'll kick me out if i don't go & i have no money to get my own place. plus, i think that if i go, it might help things between me & my parents. the idea of being in that place for that long just abhors me, though. i won't be able to talk to anyone, or talk on the phone, or have visitors. it's also in another state from where i live now. it basically cuts you off from the outside world. i've heard of this place before & i'm afraid they're going to brainwash me. i just think this whole thing is really unfair. i did not ask to be sick. it was thrust upon me by some unknown force. & no matter how hard i try, i can't think of a way out. i just had to talk to somebody. it's 4 a.m. & i can't even sleep b/c i'm thinking about it.

man, thats rough, sorry to hear your in such a tough spot, but what you really should do is sit down with your parents and tell them how you really feel, feeling sorry about the whole thing and keeping it to yourself is only going to make it worse, tell them that they know better than anyone how rough those last 3 years have been for you and that what they are trying to do is unjustified and frankly, unfair....

For something that could forever change your life for the better, I think 4-6 months is a small price to pay. There are always consequences and catches in life; nothing is ever easy, nothing's going to be handed to you on a silver platter. But it's ultimately your decision. I hope you make the right choice.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lady Macaiodh [/i]
[B]here's the scenario:

i've been in & out of the hospital for the past 3 years. i had to drop out of college b/c of this & haven't been able to hold down a steady job. i had to move back in w/ my parents b/c i couldn't afford to live on my own. now my parents want me to go to a rehabilitation center/institution for 4-6 months. i really don't want to go. i don't want to put my life on hold anymore & i don't think it can really help me. but my parents say they'll kick me out if i don't go & i have no money to get my own place. plus, i think that if i go, it might help things between me & my parents. the idea of being in that place for that long just abhors me, though. i won't be able to talk to anyone, or talk on the phone, or have visitors. it's also in another state from where i live now. it basically cuts you off from the outside world. i've heard of this place before & i'm afraid they're going to brainwash me. i just think this whole thing is really unfair. i did not ask to be sick. it was thrust upon me by some unknown force. & no matter how hard i try, i can't think of a way out. i just had to talk to somebody. it's 4 a.m. & i can't even sleep b/c i'm thinking about it. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]Ahh...this makes some more sense.

This isn't a good situation...but I have to say, sometimes you need to take some time out and do what's right for your body and mind...so that you can get yourself back on track.

I don't know specifically what sickness you're talking about (I assume a mental condition, because you mentioned brainwashing...but I could be wrong there), but I think that the condition itself is irrelevant.

I think, at the very least...you could try this. I mean, yes...perhaps you get cut off from the outside world, but that time you spend "cut off" may give you some much needed time to heal and become well again.

Then, once you're better, you can go out there and really start your life over again. I'm sure your parents want what's best for you..[/color][/size]

[color=blue] This is tough,
LM, talk to your parent, try to compromise with them.
You're not in a good shape right now, you're in/out of hospital for the past three years. Just try to pull yourself together to show your parent that you don't need to go to rehabilitation center [/color]

[B]the main thing that concerns me is that i know people who were completely brainwashed when they got out of there. & if they hook me up to EST, i will just die. my parents, though, their minds are made up. i'm thinking of just leaving. [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]RUN! Run to New Jersey. Or kill yourself... (run if I were you) Ok, but what your parents are making you do is horrible...[/SIZE]

[B]EST... i won't be able to abide it, not one more time. i swore the last time they would never do it to me again, & i'll kill myself before i let it happen. i really will. [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't do anything to appease your parents, especially putting god knows how many volts through your brain!!!! If you've been given an ultimatum maybe you should stay with friends for a while until you can sort your head out - it's unfair of your parents putting pressure on you like this. Perhaps they are trying to make you sort yourself out by threatening you with stuff like this - my parents tried the same tactic on me. Get some space if you can for the moment and have a think, but if you want to chat pm or mail me I've been in a similar situation and I know how you feel.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do I hope it works out ok.

[SIZE=1]Whoa... in the short time I've barely known you (LM) at this board, you were one of the people I enjoyed reading the posts of, among other people like Transtic and the other Adminy people. Yup, you're one of my favorite people here. And now reading this it's just a shock to my brain, opening up my mind a bit more. I'm going to agree with the rest that what your parents are trying to make you do is just plain wrong. Rehab never sounds fun to me either (my mom has threatened me with it cause she always thinks I'm high on something. I guess she doesnt know the meaning of sXe). If I were you, I'd run to somewhere else-a friend's house/apartment or whatever- and get yourself settled a bit, make some money if you can, do what you need to do to get yourself situated, you know? Be able to afford your own place, know what you wanna do for the time begin to keep yourself that way and what not.. but don't stay home, I'd go to a different city, or state if need be. Start anew, on your own terms but still with a sense of direction. Make the money you need to keep yourself going somehow (try to avoid certain ways of making $, I'm sure you wouldn't resort to that though..). Make new friends to help you out until you get your feet wet. Just start over. But whatver you do, please don't kill yourself like you mentioned as an option earlier. I know situations can suck really bad at times, but just forget all opposition to you and move on. Honestly, I would move on right now if I could, but I'm still restricted by age, and unforutnaly that's something I can't avoid as much as I'd like to. I hate my life here where I live. I don't like my family, my dad's even turning on me now, and my dad was always the more layed back parent. My friends are the only thing worth staying here for. Just remember, whatever you do, there's gonna be someone else, somewhere else, doing just about the same thing you are. We all go down together, but always alone.[/SIZE]

[color=crimson][size=1]I don't think a lot of people really understand what Lady M is saying here. I mean, it's all very well to say "run for the hills" and all that...but the question is, what if Lady M is missing out on medical treatment that she might need?

I mean, sure...staying in any kind of institution can be nasty (my cousin stayed in a mental hospital for a few months once)...but it's all what you can make of it. If you remain positive, you have the ability to just make sure you get your treatment so that you can leave.

The fact is: only weak minded people can be brainwashed. The same is true of hypnosis -- you can't be hypnotized against your will, this is a commonly known fact among psychiatrists.

So basically, if you want treatment...it might be best to give this thing a try. You're a free adult, therefore if it is going badly, you can always leave and do something else, or try another place.

The best thing to do is to check yourself in though -- so you have the ability to check yourself out whenever you want.

Just a thought, as opposed to "run for the hills and live with the wolves". lol[/color][/size]

[B]james, you don't get it. if they hook me up to EST, i will not have a choice. from then on, they will be able to do whatever they want, & it doesn't matter how much resolve i have. or how strong i am. i know, it's happened before! [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]What do you mean? Why would they hook you up to EST?

What exactly is your medial condition? If it's okay to say...[/color][/size]

basically, i have a lot of bad memories & they think if they hook me up to EST the memories will be erased. that's how it's supposed to work. the elct. fries the part of your brain that remembers, so you forget.

but it doesn't work. at least not in my case. but maybe i just need some more goddamn electricity.

p.s. (edit): i supposedly have manic-depression/ dissociative disorder. if you don't know what dissociative disorder is just pm me, i'd rather not post it.

[B]basically, i have a lot of bad memories & they think if they hook me up to EST the memories will be erased. that's how it's supposed to work. the elct. fries the part of your brain that remembers, so you forget.

but it doesn't work. at least not in my case. but maybe i just need some more goddamn electricity.

p.s. (edit): i supposedly have manic-depression/ dissociative disorder. if you don't know what dissociative disorder is just pm me, i'd rather not post it. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]Well, personally, I think that zapping the part of your brain which contains memory sounds like "witch doctor" science to me.

It sounds like the place your parents have proposed isn't really a true medical facility...I've never heard of doctors doing anything like that for depression and/or dissociative disorder.

I would have imagined that therapy would have been the best remedy, and perhaps some medication...but not something as drastic as that.

What if you tried another place? Rather than the one your parents are suggesting, why not try a different clinic? Surely there must be another one you can go to for another opinion or something.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[color=crimson][size=1]Well, personally, I think that zapping the part of your brain which contains memory sounds like "witch doctor" science to me.

It sounds like the place your parents have proposed isn't really a true medical facility...I've never heard of doctors doing anything like that for depression and/or dissociative disorder.

I would have imagined that therapy would have been the best remedy, and perhaps some medication...but not something as drastic as that.

What if you tried another place? Rather than the one your parents are suggesting, why not try a different clinic? Surely there must be another one you can go to for another opinion or something.[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]What he said sounds cool.
But, if EST does not work... won't you go crazy? Well, I wouldn't go... I would cut my legs off or something, lol...
But seriously, would you kill yourself...?[/SIZE]

Guest Capt. Stephanos
That's a mighty sad situation. Unfirtunatly, I'd fold like a bedsheet. I've been through a lot of head operations in my life, thankfully not as bad as your situation, but my mom had depression. I don't reaLLy know if this helps in anyway, cause I don't remember her going under the knife. But she's still on medication for it years after. And now I'm rambling. BAck to your situation . . . I think you should really try to get better, whatever the cost. Your parents care about you, and it would suck if you weren't here anymore.

Personally ESP sounds majorly un-needed. And if your parents are just letting the doctors do this too you, then I wouldn't trust their choice in hospitals either..Some of those hospitals truly do help, but my cousin went to one, and he came out worse..I hate those places...I Don't trust em...BUt if you find the right one they will help!

Personally I would probably run away. Although what James says makes sense. Just sometimes I think those hospitals are un-needed. I mean they are scary...

Heh..Just a question have the tried erasing the bad memories with good memories...just thought that might be a more pleasent solution...;)

It sounds like you have lost all confidence in your parent, their ability to help you, and thats the last thing you need.I think you are the one who can sort yor head out, take control, and it is not easy.

Really, I dont know what to say, just remember who you are, whay you want, and try as hard as you can, and you can get there.

^(feel free to ignore it)