OtakuBoards

One, Two, Three, Four. FOUR HURRICANES.

Guest Heezay

I'd just like to know what everyone thinks of the fact that Hurricanes, Frances, Charley, and Ivan have all hit Florida within the same season and the fact that Hurricane Jeanne is making its merry way there RIGHT NOW. (after going through Haiti first)

Does anyone live in Florida here? Has anyone been through any of these hurricanes?
If you do/have, tell us about the mayhem.

Its not just Florida thats been hit by these. Georgia was largely impacted by Ivan. I was on holiday in Floriday when Ivan hit. Not much to tell, a bit windy seeing as i was staying quite a bit away from the pan-handle.

We all got kept in our hotel, and couldn't go outside when Charlie and Frances were hitting. You werent aloud to cross from your hotel room into the main complex. And if you were lucky enough to be in there at the first place, they decided to put a huge truck at the front entrance.

Haha, all my friends were worried about me back home, because it wasn't till after the hurricaines hit that i phoned them, and they reallly thought the best of me, didn't they.

You should have seen the lakes drained and the trees down. There was so much damage, a sign was bent to the side, it was terrible.

One reason to stay in Britain, it may be a 'bit' colder. But we don't get Earthquakes, Volcanoes or Hurricaines.

[color=darkblue][font=trebuchet ms]Well, I flew to Venezuela when Frances came, and I'll be doing that again at 5 PM tomorrow. I live in Boca Raton, so I'm right in the East Coast. Boca has been lucky over the past several years when it came to hurricanes. They either went to Orlando or to Miami.

There was one time we had a hurricane threatening Boca, so my family and I took the road to Orlando. On the way there, we heard through the radio that the hurricane had shifted and was coming to Orlando. Luckily, my dad at the time managed to get us a room at an expensive Marriott for one night, with hurricane-proof windows. In fact, the most I remember about that night was playing MK3 in the hotel's arcade room, a game that was hot at the time.[/font][/color]

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]Damn that Global Warming, doing all it can to make our lives miserable. Breaking houses and making our nice toques all job-less for longer than they should be.

It's been thirty degrees for a few weeks now, after a particularly ***-freezing-off summer at the boat.

Another warm Christmas and I think my head may a splode; it didn't reach -15 until after the New Year.

We got a couple of heavy rain-falls, but you don't get much in the way of hurricanes when you live in Canada. Heh.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]I live in Floridia as well, and this is the first time something like this has happened in the seven years I've lived here. Usually, we get one or two big storms a season, and the others are usually tropical storms or depressions; in addition, there's usually blenty of breathing room between them.

This, this is just blowing my mind, pun not intended. I've been very fortunate so far, in that my father had the foresight to cut down potentially troublesome trees, so we're mostly unscathed. However, it's becoming apparent that this season is still going very strong.

And it's not because of global warming, people. Global warming is BS.[/color][/size][/font]

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Lucky me, I live on the west coast. And no, I'm not rubbing that in the face of those of you that DO live on the east coast (and Florida).

.. Anyway, I have to agree. Being hit with three hurricanes and expecting a fourth must suck-*ss over in Florida. But then again, ask yourself. Why do people live there?

They must know (by now) that it's a hurricane zone. Why do people that can only afford ONE home live there when they can live in other parts of the country where no more hurricanes can destroy their house. Sure, if someone rich moved there, they could have a home there and if a hurricane hit a blew it to pieces, they could have another one to fall back on.

But, then again, that's just MY opinion... Well, mine and my dad's. (We agree on lots of topics). Please, [i]please[/i] do not get [i]too[/i] mad at me for thinking that the people living in Florida should move for their benefits and the countries benefits. (Or you could just help global warming.. but I'm not sure how you do that...)

-Kitty

P.S. Oops. Skipped over your post there, Captain Iuno. A fifth one, huh? ... America's gonna be payin' even MORE taxes THIS year... Ugh.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=2][FONT=System]I live on the panhandle of FL and the side of our house next to the roof has been ripped off and all the insulating from the house is all over the yard(Still cleaning it up!).And half of my deck in the backyard has been blown over.And raking isn't fun at all! And the internet just came back to day. Its been offline for days. :flaming[/FONT]: [/SIZE][/COLOR]

I'm in Central Florida, in the middle of all this non-sense. I'm in the north east corner of Orlando.

We weren't adversly affected by Ivan, just when it came back around as a bunch little storms... but Charley was a direct hit and Frances went south of us by about 30 miles, which still gave us TONS of rain and lots of wind. However, Carley knocked down all our trees so nothing was really left to know over. Jeanne or whatever this one is called i hope does that turn thingy a little sooner tan expected, or just doesn't turn at all so i'm not affected that much... however, if it turns late, well then its making its way right up to us.... so... yeah... i hate hurricanes...

I've lived here 14 years, never had one big hurricane hit florida.... this year, i've had 2 big ones, Ivan missed thank god, and Jeanne is another one that could be potentially dangerous... we're bording up our windows as I type.

I just moved to Georgia over the summer, a little north of Atlanta. Frances and Ivan caused really, really bad rains, heh. That was about it. Caused lots of flooding. Driving to school in rain like that was not fun, heh. But personally...having never been in a hurricane I found it kind of fun. Though it wasn't a hurricane at the time anymore. I like rain and storms. ^_^;; I just kept saying to my brother and friends "poor Florida", and before this is over, Florida is going to be destroyed, heh. I know it isn't true, but it just seems like it could be. My business law teacher has a joke about Florida, lol. Florida is there to weaken the hurricanes before they reach us. I love Florida though. :-)

[size=1]I'm also from Orlando, although I go to school in Tallahassee. I was home for Charley, which was a category 2 by the time it got to us. It may not seem like much, but I'm telling you, a category two storm is plenty bad enough. I can't imagine staying in my house through anything worse than that - I'd just go insane. You hear the wind howling outside, the rain is pounding against the roof and walls and there's a constant threat of tornadoes or flooding or something equally bad.

For Charley, amazingly enough, we didn't lose power. But we had no telephone lines, and we did lose a couple trees. We got lucky. (See pictures [url=http://www.myotaku.com/users/arcadia/life/3]here[/url].) My friend, on the other hand, had about five big pines fall on her house and on her mom and dad's cars. Their pool enclosure was completely destroyed - there was a tree in the pool, heh - and the roof in their spare room was starting to cave in. They were obviously not so lucky, and that's just what Charley did alone. After four hurricanes in six weeks, you can't even imagine what all of Florida looks like now.

Frances took another one of our trees, I think, but by the time she came through I was already up at FSU. That didn't mean I was out of line of fire, though. I missed two or three days of class because of Frances and Ivan, both of which were originally supposed to hit Tallahassee dead on and then eventually curved elsewhere. Because of that, though, I was either stuck in my dorm for hours on end, going insane with boredom, or I was outside playing football with friends on the green.

Hurricane Jeanne wasn't much of anything by the time it got to me all the way up here. The majority of it hit Sunday evening and during the night, and by today, it was just about gone. I definitely had class today, so I was walking through the last few bands of Jeanne, heh. It was a bit windy and rainy, but after living in Florida for about 18 years of my life, I'm a little used to the rain.

If anybody is super interested in seeing aftermath photos and stuff like that, I'm sure you can find them all over the web, as well as any additional information about the storms and all the damage they've caused. Let's just hope that was the end of it, eh?[/size]

I live in Orlando and all I have to say is,

I'm sick and tired of picking up shingles on the ground that are covered in fire ants. My hands are so pumped up full of toxins, I'm sure they're going to rot off pretty soon.

My room mate is useless and never offers to help out... you can't peel him from his computer; he loves to pimp his Sims [i]that[/i] much.

It's safe to say that Charlie caused the most damage; it pushed my two favorite trees into the side of my house and they had to be cut down. =[

Frances was a joke, to be honest. My power didn't go out for more than 5 minutes at a time, and since my roomate fled to Georgia and went to DragonCon, I took advantage of uber bandwidth the entire time. =]

Ivan didn't touch Orlando.

Jeanne tore my roof up some more and broke my gate... stupid hurricane.

The only reason I'm kind of/sort of scared of hurricanes is because of all the tornados they create. They're what really damages stuff. If a roof gets ripped off of a house, it's probably because a tornado formed. I just think it would suck if all my stuff got.. sucked out of my house. Yeah.

BUT !! We here in Florida can look forward to an uncommonly cold winter... it's been historically linked to hyper-active hurricane seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=GREEN]Hum... I wonder why I didn't notice this thread earlier.

Well, anyway, I'm from Louisiana, so I've kind of had some experience with hurricanes. Florida isn't the only state that is at risk for hurricanes; any state along the Atlantic or Gulf coasts are at risk. Well, this was already stated in earlier posts. :sweat:

During the week that Ivan was in the Gulf of Mexico, I was worried sick about all of my family and friends in the southern part of the state. According to what they told me, everything was closing and they were telling everyone to leave. For everyone who stayed, the city (New Orleans) put up a 2pm curfew to reduce the possibility of looting. All the worrying I did, didn't make my first week of college classes any easier.[/COLOR]