OtakuBoards

what do you think of death

Guest spike123

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]When you die, your body decomposes and you rot into nothingness. Unless you're held in some kind of giant freezer or are thrown in a swamp etc...

If you drown, your body swells up and is either devoured by fish or washes up on a beach and is eaten by crabs.

I can't imagine what it would be like to die, but the firing of nerve-endings in your brain might give you the illusion of an "infinate" amount of time. I am not exactly an expert on neurology, however.

I read a book about death a while ago: "Passage" by Connie Willis.

Give it a flip-through--'twill get you thinking.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='ChibiMuneMune']It's hard to describe death because nobody has same back to tell us what it is like to experience death. Most people say they experience death but no one can be sure. I would imagine death as if you're floating from this world to another world, if there is one out there.[/quote]

How do you know nobody's come back to describe death to us? You've probably just never seen it, it doesn't mean there isn't one. I am thinking of a book in particular, but i've never read it myself. I've only heard of it. Mainly it's about a man being possesed by a spirit, or he simply could comunicate with the spirit. I'm not saying i believe in it, i'm simply saying that there is a book.

Really to answer your question you'd have to go into religion and one's own beliefs. I think you'll go on to live in heaven or hell forever, you know that whole stuff. Although i do honestly have a lot of doubts on the matter. If not that then i'd imagine we'd just sit in the dirt and rot away, and that'd be the end of it all.....i'll go with the first choice. Cross your fingers and hope you're good enough for heaven....that was a joke by the way.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Death is, simply put, death. You will no longer be living, heh. You'll be too dead to bother with comprehending your own inexistence or whatever. No passing to another world, no "beginning," no nothing.

Perhaps the most difficult thing for the human mind to comperehend, let alone [i]accept[/i] is finality. FINALITY... it's gotta be the scariest word in the English language, heh. The possiblity of an afterlife or reincarnation are a lot less unnerving to consider, which is part of the reason they are so embraced by humanity.

[quote name='Godelsensei][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]When you die, your body decomposes and you rot into nothingness. [/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

Not true.. every atom in your body will survive you (i mean in the material sense, not biological sense).

Death? Meh, I see my existence as the combination between the physical, and spiritual. Death are those two realms separating, the biological accomondation are inconsiquential. Being religious, death means a release from the existence that evil shares... to an existence of perfection.

edit: According to my drama teacher, a recent poll revealed more people afraid of speaking in front of a crowd more than death!

I have faith that if i die i ain't going to no place where i DON't exist. man if i heard al the times this topic has come up i could pretend to be a preacher.. point is if you beleive when you die you go NOWHERE your a secular if you believe that when you die and you have asked Jesus or God himself nto your heart it might just happen your gonna go to heaven with a prefect form in spirit. IF not you get a nice view from hell. if your a hindu or buddist (i pray you in ain't) you get stuck in a animal body to live out your next life ( that is if your evil) if your good enough your a human again oh joy. there are many ways of looking at it if you wish READ and RESERECH. I personally believe in Jesus Chirst and i am dam proud of it.. if you don't thats your problem

any question or comments please pm

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]
[i]"First, I wondered why, after Lazarus was raised from the dead, people did not ask him about heaven and hell and being dead. Were they not curious? Indeed, this may have been our only chance to find out without dying."[/i]

[RIGHT]-Catherine, [i]Catherine, Called Birdy[/i] by Karen Cushman[/RIGHT]

Perhaps our consciousness will just fade into nothingness and remain there for eternity. We wouldn't be able to sense the passing of time; methinks the concept time doesn't exist for the dead. It's just like a dreamless sleep or passing out. When you wake up, you'll find that it doesn't matter how long you've remained unconscious; to you it would seem that you've just closed your eyes for a moment.

I'd rather go to Hell than not exist.

Love and Peace!
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=eternity][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]
[i]
I'd rather go to Hell than not exist.
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Amen, I think exactly like you do. Sorry that this is short, but I just want you to know that that is EXACTLY what I think and how I feel, to the letter.

[quote name='Adahn']Amen, I think exactly like you do. Sorry that this is short, but I just want you to know that that is EXACTLY what I think and how I feel, to the letter.[/quote]

Double amen eternity. If nonexistence were the fate of all humanity, then there's no point in adhereing to ANYTHING society demands of us! There's no point in listening to a concience or obeying athourity! No reason to attain virtue!!

Think about it, if we live in a society that have no ends to justify our means, then what dictates the means? If we all have nothing more we can lose, if we are all dissolving into nonexistence, why not rob a bank? Why not kill anyone who pisses you off? Why not rape that fine looking girl in the next apartment complex? After 60 or 70 more years at the most, its all meaningless anyway, right?

I think the existence of morality and virtue alone are defiant of the entire possiblity of non-existence.

[quote name='Drix D'Zanth']If nonexistence were the fate of all humanity, then there's no point in adhereing to ANYTHING society demands of us! [/quote]

We...we could spam up the OB!

Spam spam spam spammity spam!

Ahem.

My opinion on death? Everyone's going to die, at some point. You can extend your life, and I'd advise you do that whenever possible, because living kicks arse. But don't loose sight of the fact that you'll eventually die.

And don't worry about it. Not like there's anything you can do once you're there, neh?

I'm going to have a little bit of fun with this. What makes you think that you're going to die? Can you prove that you're not immortal? I wouldn't live my life assuming I could jump off bridges or dance across highways without getting hurt, because faith isn't about testing, it's about believing. I challenge any one of you to prove your mortality to me, in whatever way you see fit. (no, I'm not asking you to kill yourself, though this would be a fun way to go about it)

Guest spike123
[quote name='Adahn']I'm going to have a little bit of fun with this. What makes you think that you're going to die? Can you prove that you're not immortal? I wouldn't live my life assuming I could jump off bridges or dance across highways without getting hurt, because faith isn't about testing, it's about believing. I challenge any one of you to prove your mortality to me, in whatever way you see fit. (no, I'm not asking you to kill yourself, though this would be a fun way to go about it)[/quote]

if im imortal i can never die

but any way i think you go to a new relm becuse i dont think that you can just not exsit

[quote name='Adahn']I'm going to have a little bit of fun with this. What makes you think that you're going to die? Can you prove that you're not immortal? I wouldn't live my life assuming I could jump off bridges or dance across highways without getting hurt, because faith isn't about testing, it's about believing. I challenge any one of you to prove your mortality to me, in whatever way you see fit. (no, I'm not asking you to kill yourself, though this would be a fun way to go about it)[/quote]

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]It's generally accepted that people who jump off bridges and dance across highways tend to end up in a non-living state.

Seeing as everybody's body is built in the same way (barring gender-related features), we can only assume.

Unless you were some kind of insane super-human or something... That would be so awesome. I mean, you could, like, fling yourself off of stuff and see the people around you freak out for kicks. : 3 (I'm sure it could be put to some good, too...maybe. If I was in the mood.)

Even if I somehow happened to be immortal, I don't think I'd want to test the theory out.[/FONT][/COLOR]

To me death is the end its all over man these afterlife things were made for us not to be so sad about death and some people get brainwashed with it so bad they think tat if they die as a martyr they will be saved.

Ex. The Terrorists thinking after they did by crashing the plains they would be in heaven with 9 virgins each or was it more virgins than that.

Well I know death is the end what its like I don't know and no one is most likely coming back to tell us so we don't know if their is another side or not.

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]
[quote name='Adahn']I'm going to have a little bit of fun with this. What makes you think that you're going to die? Can you prove that you're not immortal?[/quote]
Meow... Perhaps I am.
But I can prove to you that our bodies are mortal. They decompose, don't they? And I don't believe that 21-gram crap either. If a soul weighs 21 grams then Hell should be a blackhole that consumes infinite mass.

EDIT: 21-gram crap: They say that we lose 21 grams when we die and concluded that a soul must weigh 21 grams. (Another lame theory whipped up by a scriptwriter.)

[quote name='Godelsensei][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]It's generally accepted that people who jump off bridges and dance across highways tend to end up in a non-living state.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
I might just stick this in my signature...
Love and Peace!
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
[quote name='eternity][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]And I don't believe that 21-gram crap either. If a soul weighs 21 grams then Hell should be a blackhole that consumes infinite mass.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]WTF?? What [i]is[/i] this 21-gram crap, indeed? There's a standard "soul mass"? And I was never told about this? Man, the stuff the government hides from the public....

Adahn, lol, I challenge you to prove to us that you can go without posting on these boards for a whole year.

[quote name='Godelsensei][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]It's generally accepted that people who jump off bridges and dance across highways tend to end up in a non-living state.FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1] Not if your batman. :D seriously though...I dont believe in giving up your life, hoping that you'll be saved in the afterlife that is just plain crazy. Omg Religious people get me all fired up about that :flaming: .I don't think we will ever know what is out there, I know theres SOMETHING but no one knows what. But then again the though of just rotting inside a smelly old coffin kinda makes you want to believe in spirits and all that. Any Volunteers?[/FONT][/SIZE]

though it sound marcabre, I am looking foward to dieing. I used to be scared. I really see it as the finnal thrill, one not to be rushed. I think part of my fasination is that Everyone has a differnt idea what will happen. I want to know who is right, will I cease to exsist at all, or while I stop being me and be something else? I am wiccan, so I don't believe in heven or hell, will I be damned? If I were to go to hell, it'd be ok, because all my friends would be damned too. In the end, it probibly doesn't matter, but the questions it raises allow me to think of it without being afraid. the act of dieing though is not appeling. I hope to go in my sleep at an old age.

[color=deeppink][size=1]This might be a bit bizarre, but I'm really into string theory and such, where you may have billions of copies of 'you' in another dimension, and when we dream, we're actually seeing through the eyes of another one of 'us' in another dimension. (Or something like that). And when we get deja vu, one of 'us' has been there before. Also like, how 'ghosts' to us may see us as 'ghosts' and since the mind ignores things we don't believe, some people don't see them and ...(goes on and on). >.>

*ahem* So when we die, I just believe that we 'wake up' only, in a new dimension as a new born.[/color][/size]

Guest spike123
[quote name='Kitsune foxfire']though it sound marcabre, I am looking foward to dieing. I used to be scared. I really see it as the finnal thrill, one not to be rushed. I think part of my fasination is that Everyone has a differnt idea what will happen. I want to know who is right, will I cease to exsist at all, or while I stop being me and be something else? I am wiccan, so I don't believe in heven or hell, will I be damned? If I were to go to hell, it'd be ok, because all my friends would be damned too. In the end, it probibly doesn't matter, but the questions it raises allow me to think of it without being afraid. the act of dieing though is not appeling. I hope to go in my sleep at an old age.[/quote]

and if you did go to hell just act happy and tick of a few keepers

Guest spike123
[QUOTE=Juuthena][color=deeppink][size=1]This might be a bit bizarre, but I'm really into string theory and such, where you may have billions of copies of 'you' in another dimension, and when we dream, we're actually seeing through the eyes of another one of 'us' in another dimension. (Or something like that). And when we get deja vu, one of 'us' has been there before. Also like, how 'ghosts' to us may see us as 'ghosts' and since the mind ignores things we don't believe, some people don't see them and ...(goes on and on). >.>

*ahem* So when we die, I just believe that we 'wake up' only, in a new dimension as a new born.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

thats a really cool thing, i never thougt about it that way

I'll say this much about death. It is inevitable, unpredictable and inconceivably scary.
For an indication on the complexities of death I'm going to quote the entire poem by John Forbes known as "Death, An Ode".

"[COLOR=Blue]Death, you're more successful than America,
even if we don't choose to join you, we do.
I've just become aware of this conscription
where no one's marble doesn't come up;
no use carving your name on a tree, exchanging vows
or not treading on the cracks for luck
where there's no statistical anomalies at all
& you know not the day nor the hour, or even if you do
timor mortis conturbat me. No doubt we'd
Think this in a plunging jet & the black box recorder
would note each individual, unavailing scream
but what gets me is how compulsory it is-
'he never was a joiner' they wrote on his tomb.
At least bingeing becomes heroic & I can see
why the Victorians
so loved drawn-out death-bed scenes:
huddled before our beautiful century, they knew
what first night nerves were all about.[/COLOR]"

For a better understanding of the poem the latin means "fear of death confounds me".