OtakuBoards

what do you think of death

Guest spike123

Guest ScirosDarkblade
[QUOTE=Juuthena][color=deeppink][size=1]This might be a bit bizarre, but I'm really into string theory and such, where you may have billions of copies of 'you' in another dimension, and when we dream, we're actually seeing through the eyes of another one of 'us' in another dimension. (Or something like that). And when we get deja vu, one of 'us' has been there before. Also like, how 'ghosts' to us may see us as 'ghosts' and since the mind ignores things we don't believe, some people don't see them and ...(goes on and on). >.>

*ahem* So when we die, I just believe that we 'wake up' only, in a new dimension as a new born.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

String theory is not that at all. It's that every single phenomenon in the universe can be described in terms of the wavelength of an 11-dimensional string of Planck length. Multiple universes aren't the same thing, and as for that deja vu stuff, well that's just fantasy.

The thing is what if theres no such thing as hell or heven and you dont fly around places like a ghost. What if you dont go anywhere when you die what would you feel like if after that your soul doesnt exist. As in you left forever what would it feel like? It counldn't feel like just standing there cause your not even there? So how does it feel it's scary to think about it :( :( :sleep:

[quote name='ScirosDarkblade']String theory is not that at all. It's that every single phenomenon in the universe can be described in terms of the wavelength of an 11-dimensional string of Planck length. Multiple universes aren't the same thing, and as for that deja vu stuff, well that's just fantasy.[/quote]

[color=deeppink][size=1]I didn't [strike]say[/strike] mean that's what string theory was. It's just something that's always brought up when we discuss quantum physics in class. The deja vu idea's just something that popped into my head after our teacher told us about both topics, and since there is evidence of other universes, there may be similar things happening with the particles there.

[Edit:] Whoops. Sorry, bad wording, lol. - .-; [/color][/size]

I think death is just a phase just like life. you die you die thats all there is too it other people believe in eternal life when you die but i believe that when you die you vanish from existence. your soul dissapears into nothingness thats what i believe. you body might remain in this so called "world" but your soul vanishes into thin air. your emotions might stay but your soul dissapears. well thats what i think death revolves around(my opinion of course).

death..probably in the transforming in nothingness..or it can be another life..i've talked to anyone who came back from death so i can be probably a dreamer..of dreaming a death that bring you to the people who left you and you're with there forever (not like the christian one but probably more like the greek one with the champs elisee)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Inukenomaru
[QUOTE=spike123]what do you think of death is a new life or a countinued life or is it the end of life?

i think its a new life[/QUOTE]
Pleese just kill me now. That whould be nice. Ihave nothing to live for! :sleep:

"Some day they're gonna throw you in a hole, toss dirt on your face, then go back to the church and eat potato salad."- Tony Campolo

When you die, you can't take any of your stuff with you. You can't take your reputation, or your friends.

When you die, two things will matter. One is the destiny of your soul. As a Christian, I believe that if you believe in Christ's sacrifice on the cross for your sins, you will go to heaven.

The second thing that matters is what you left behind, what you did with your life. Will your legacy be a bunch of meaningless material possessions, or will you have genuinely touched peoples lives?

Live in such a way that when you die, the people who mourn you will mourn you for your love and compassion, not your material accomplishments.

That's what I believe about death, life and life after death in a nutshell.

[COLOR=#004a6f]I personally don't believe that death is the end, because I'm muslim. We all know that life isn't always fair. People commit horrible crimes and get away with them, while bad things happen to good people. Where is the justice? Well there must be an afterlife because justice must be served (in the end at least). Why should a person's sins and wrong doings be buried with them?

It seems most people here have posted from the atheist point of view, that God doesn't exist and there's no afterlife. Death is the end. I find that idea very scary. Yes, it does seem comforting to think that you will be reincarnated, and maybe that's the reason people turn to religion, but not for me. Techinically, you could believe that God exists but there is no life after death.

The reason I believe in reincarnation is that it is stated in Islam's holy book. I have complete faith in my religion so that means I should believe in reincarnation right? But the reason I have so much faith in my religion is because of our holy book. Just from reading it I can tell that the words are not from this world. They are divine. The Quran even states scientific facts that were not discovered until 1400 years later. That is proof enough for me that my religion is correct.

Anyway, here is a very interesting article about the Islamic prespective of death.

[url]http://www.harunyahya.com/50the_death_wis15.php[/url]

[I]"From the moment you breathe for the last time, you will become nothing but a 'heap of flesh'. "

"...the corpse under the soil will go through a rapid process of decay. Soon after you are placed in the grave, the bacteria and insects proliferating in the corpse due to the absence of oxygen will start to function. The gasses released from these organisms will inflate the body, starting from the abdomen, altering its shape and appearance. Bloody froth will pop out the mouth and nose due to the pressure of gasses on the diaphragm. As corruption proceeds, body hair, nails, soles, and palms will fall off. Accompanying this outer alteration in the body, internal organs such as lungs, heart and liver will also decay. In the meantime, the most horrible scene takes place in the abdomen, where the skin can no longer bear the pressure of gasses and suddenly bursts, spreading an unendurably disgusting smell. Starting from the skull, muscles will detach from their particular places. Skin and soft tissues will completely disintegrate. The brain will decay and start looking like clay. This process will go on until the whole body is reduced to a skeleton.

"In short, the 'heap of flesh and bones' to which we assign an identity faces a quite nasty end. On the other hand, you - or rather, your soul - will leave this body as soon as you breathe your last. The remainder of you - your body - will become part of the soil."[/I][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f]

That is proof enough for me that my religion is correct.

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]Your religion is correct eh? I don't think such statements should come into a play in a thread called 'what do you think of death'. You could say that if the topic was 'what religion is correct?!' Tauting religious superiority is a bit shallow. Saying that your religion is correct is like saying everyone who isn't muslim is wrong.

Anyway, I don't really think of death. It could be the end, it might not be. My body will decompose for sure, unless I'm frozen or buried in peat. It would be cool to just 'wake up' and be in some fantasy world. But hey, let people think what they want...[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I am not looking forward to death anytime soon, but I will accept it when the time comes. Death is going to be an adventure, I wonder what's on the other side? I think it is a new life of resurrection in the spirit realm. It will indeed be interesting.

[COLOR=#004a6f][quote name='DarkSesshoumaru][COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]Your religion is correct eh? I don't think such statements should come into a play in a thread called 'what do you think of death'. You could say that if the topic was 'what religion is correct?!' Tauting religious superiority is a bit shallow. Saying that your religion is correct is like saying everyone who isn't muslim is wrong. [/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]All I was saying that Is what makes me think my religion is correct, which in turn shapes my beliefs about death. I'm sure a Christian believes their way of life is the only way for salvation. Otherwise they wouldn't believe Jesus as their saviour. I wasn't trying to preach Islam. I was just saying the reason I believe in Islam and it's views of death.

I'm pretty sure religion plays a big part in how a lot of people think of death.[/COLOR]

Well, my view on death are very mixed up and backwards, but I'll try to explain them as best I can.

First, I believe in heaven and hell, therefore if you were sinfull and wicked, you go to hell, and if you tried to live a good life, you go to heaven. I also believe that all the religions are the same religion, only with cultural differences.

For example:

Christianity and Islam are different because they were developed in different parts of the world, where people had different social standards and moral ideas. These religions reflect the general views of the people.
Maybe you didn't understand that, but oh well...

Next, I'm afraid of death, mainly because it will mean that I will stop living. I think if someone were to put a gun to my head, would scream and cry like a little girl, not close my eyes and accept my fate. It holds too many unknowns. Is my religion right? Did I live a good life? Is there even heaven or hell?

Personally, I can't imagine an end. I can't imagine an eternal existance in heaven before I was born. If there is no place to go, what will it be like? Will I still have my spirit?

Too scary for me to think about. It's a jump into a black, endless void. I envy you who are ready to die, but I don't understand why people think death is such as wonderful adventure , or just a phase of existance. Strange to me and my relgious beliefs. Heh.

I think death will be neat, so long as my head is still attached. I like to think of at least one part of Heaven as a free-for-all cloudball fight. How immature of me. Either that or a chance to read all the manga you didn't get around to while you were living.

About the whole "life flashes before your eyes" thing? It's happening right now. It's called living.

[QUOTE=Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f]All I was saying that Is what makes me think my religion is correct, which in turn shapes my beliefs about death. I'm sure a Christian believes their way of life is the only way for salvation. Otherwise they wouldn't believe Jesus as their saviour. I wasn't trying to preach Islam. I was just saying the reason I believe in Islam and it's views of death.

I'm pretty sure religion plays a big part in how a lot of people think of death.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think it's hard to start a discussion about death and not bring religion into it. You did a good job presenting your views, Chabichou.

[color=crimson]My view on death is that no one living can be sure of what occurs, so having a stern, stubborn opinion is curious at best. My own inclination is that some form of reincarnation exists- as I'm not dead, I cannot expand further on that. I'm not going to be stereotypically calm/placid about my own death- I would much rather prefer existing than not- but I think I could handle knowing I was dying fairly well. Might lose my head a bit, but- yeah. I'm sure that when the time comes, the way I'm handling my mortality will be the last of my concerns.

Heh. To me, spirituality isn't about who is "right" or "wrong" or who is "correct" or not, it's about what you hold faith in with your heart. I'm fairly certain you cannot prove your religion's validity to a secular person, just as they can't disprove it's validity. Just continue doing what your gut tells you to.[/color]

[size=1]Someone earlier in the thread that the idea of something ending scares people. I dunno about you guys, but I'm scared of the idea of everything not ending. Eternity is a long time, lol.

As for what I believe, I'm a Muslim. So I believe in Heaven and Hell. How Heaven and Hell would be exactly, I can't imagine, but I still believe in them waiting for us all.

[b]Rar.[/b][/size]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Death to me represents the end of our physical forms and the ascension into the afterlife in another form. As a Catholic I believe fully in the idea of an afterlife, be that going to Heaven for those who've led a good life, or Hell for those who've not. I suppose the concept of a ending scares people, the idea that the sum total of your life means nothing or rather very little to those outside your family and friends after you die, which is what I think Chabichou was getting at. I can't prove the existence of an afterlife, no more than I could prove it doesn't exist, all I know is that according to my beliefs it's there at the end of my life.[/SIZE]

death is a very intersting topic to talk about, personal i don't care iff i live or die because after your dead your not really going to care are you, i'm not sure what'll happen to me but it'll probaly be cool,
if there is a heaven and hell; i want to go to hell remember the cradle of filth slogan "it's better to reign in hell, than to serve in heaven"

this is a rather odd topic. since i just talked about this in health class at my school. but none the less, i really dont think about death that much. well i do, but im never really worrying about it. its just some thing that comes and you cant escape from it. people come and people go and you just need to deal with it. i for one am looking forward to death and cant wait for it to come. its just a subject waiting to be warped if youd ask me.

[quote name='morbid angel666']"it's better to reign in hell, than to serve in heaven"[/quote]
I'm going to have to disagree with that. You don't reign in hell, your just being tortured, and you hate yourself, your existence, and everything else around you. That's what I think at least. ::shrug::

Besides, even if your serving in heaven, it's not going to be a bad kind of servitude, it'll be something like you want to serve, and you enjoy the heck out of every moment.

I suppose your quote is assuming that hell and heaven don't transcend language, and it's possible to describe them. Or maybe it's just your opinion. Oh well.

And why do people think it will be cool to die? According to some, it is when you just cease to exist. To others, it seems like this party, this adventure. Personally, I think that nobody here is actually ready to die, wants to die to see what its like, or thinks truly that death is cool.