OtakuBoards

Labels

Guest Athens

What does everyone think of Labels, like the ones in school like if you are a Prep or Jock etc. Ive seen alot of this goings on when I was in high school there is a bit of rivalry between the labels like this group hates this group and stuff, personally I think they are dumb people are different deal with it, what does everyones else think, are you labeled, and what is the situation in your school ?

Every school has labels,its a part of life.

If you've ever see the movie "Mean Girls" one of the first things they give Cady(the new girl)is a detailed map of the caf.This map shows where the "jocks","cool asians","girls who eat their feelings",ect sit.

Being labeled I guess could be bad,if your label was a bad one.But what if you get a really nice one?

[size=1]My school is rather unique. We have all the stereotypes, but there are no rivalries. The jocks are friends with the goths. The ghetto people are cool with the preps. The nerds are some of the more popular ones. And then there's people like me that really don't fit into any specific catagory, we're friends with everyone.
I go to an arts school.

I'm not really a fan of stereotyping. I think it's a waste of time and in most cases does result in problems. People should just learn to get along, even though it will never happen.[/size]

Don't get into labels, It's hard enough to deal with it in school without talking about it. I am punk, no one labeled me, I labeled myself. I feel that you are who you are, I do call people jocks but I, deep down, know no one deserves a label. If I were to be labeled specifically I'd be an Otaku Punk Hick. So although the social groups will always stand you can be friends with anyone nowaday. Atleast thats how it is in my school.

[QUOTE=Corey][size=1]My school is rather unique. We have all the stereotypes, but there are no rivalries. The jocks are friends with the goths. The ghetto people are cool with the preps. The nerds are some of the more popular ones. And then there's people like me that really don't fit into any specific catagory, we're friends with everyone.
I go to an arts school.

I'm not really a fan of stereotyping. I think it's a waste of time and in most cases does result in problems. People should just learn to get along, even though it will never happen.[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]My old school was pretty much the same, even though the divisions were there, there wasn't any animosity between sides, often the "jocks" would go to the "nerds" for help with their homework. I agree with Corey on the issue of stereotypes, there's no need for that kind of stupidity to single out people or groups because they're different, it's childish and at the end of the day people who do it end up looking like fools in later life.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]Half of my school immigrated to Canada less than two years ago, so you're either a fob (I know this term is offensive, but, at my school, people just refer to themselves as such, so it's not really taken as an insult. I wouldn't use it when talking about or with some one who would find it offensive. I use it here because that's the expression we use.), Canadian, or a poser.

Everybody hates the posers (you know, the guys who dress like homies and wear ungodly amounts of Axe?), and the rest of the kids just kind of mingle.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Godelsensei][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]Everybody hates the posers (you know, the guys who dress like homies and wear ungodly amounts of Axe?), and the rest of the kids just kind of mingle.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

Yes well, Axe is the most annoying substance known to the human species. I am proud not to use it. Anyways, Yes there are posers, there are also wiggers and wannabes and every other kind of person, but the thing is you have to cope and understand. They think theyre the coolest guy in the world, don't slap em in the face, make fun of them mentally so they lose their cool and run home to their mommy!

[QUOTE=Corey][size=1]My school is rather unique. We have all the stereotypes, but there are no rivalries. The jocks are friends with the goths. The ghetto people are cool with the preps. The nerds are some of the more popular ones. And then there's people like me that really don't fit into any specific catagory, we're friends with everyone.
I go to an arts school.

I'm not really a fan of stereotyping. I think it's a waste of time and in most cases does result in problems. People should just learn to get along, even though it will never happen.[/size][/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=SeaGreen]Yea thats kind of like my school, but they arent all friends.

There are mainly like 5 "labels" at my school: Rednecks, skaters(thats me), Preps/Jocks, the "Ghetto" people, and I guess you could call them nerds. There really isnt anything that any one of the groups has against another unless its personal, but otherwise, the groups mainly stick to themselves. Ill hang out with some preps/jocks people sometimes but I mainly hang out with my "kind" lol.

But the people at my school really back each other up when someone is in a tight spot. Our varsity football team just had their first night game too long ago. I was there. We were playing our rivals Wild Lake-- they are more like the "ghetto" type people -- and the students from the school tried to jump a whole bunch of our students... I have never seen more cooperation between students in a school ever.

I also was caught in a "battle" and a kid was about to punch me in the head when one of my senior friends came up and blasted the kid that was going to hit me. I am small for my age so Im guessing I would have been pretty hurt judging by the size of the guy if I had been hit.

But thats basically our school: We dont have rivalries in the school, only between schools.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=GREEN]It's kind of wierd with me and the schools I went to. When I was younger (high school freshman), the only groups that fit their streotypical profile were the jocks and cheerleaders. The guys on the football team always acted like they ruled the school (even though the team sucked and never won a game), and the cheerleaders always acted really snobby and mean to everyone else. All of the other social groups got along fine with each other.

Now at the school I graduated from about five months ago, no one really fell into a stereotypical group. Well, there were social classes to an extent, but I guess by the time I got settled at that school, I sort of reached the point where it didn't matter anymore, because I was good friends with a whole lot of different people. I guess the only thing that really served as a divider for people was inteligence level. What I mean by this is that I had mostly honors level classes so I mostly hung out with other people who were in honors classes. I usually didn't see too many people in basic or speical ed level classes.[/COLOR]

Of course we all put people into these groups. At my school theres the black wearing anime people, the popular people, the stoners, ghetto people, nerds that dont like anime, sporty girls, over achievers, and normal people. Actually im not in any of these. But they all get along. Everyone is cool with everyone. No one is mean. Well maybe a few person, but not that much. Actually those groups that they said in Mean Girls are true, for real.

I find that in a lot of these labels, you'll be able to find people who are only in the specific group because they want to fit in and will actually change themselves to "fit". This is the very definition of prep that I have personally found, so not only do you have that group, but you have people in, say.. the goth group or something simply because "it's not cool to be a prep", and not necessarily because they're gothic or something: wanna-be type people. In that sense, I don't look at someone the way society has labeled them, but rather how they [i]fit[/i] in their own stereotypes. But yes, I do tend to label people in different ways, but not by the clothes they wear or the people they hang out with, necessarily. For the most part, you're either a prep, or you're not.

If they're jerks and try to pick on and bully people, or do other things for attention in order to impress people, I refer to them as preps. Perhaps they do this by drinking or doing drugs or something because they have become a victom of peer pressure and want to fit in. I just find it rediculous that they are living out someone else's expectations rather than doing something because they want to, more concerned about whether or not it would be "cool". Often jocks and cheerleaders make up a large part of this group, but there are always exceptions.

Everyone else is not a prep for the most part. There are many shades of grey (such as people who are nice for the most part but sometimes do things to impress others, not including girls that they like ~_^), but generally if you tend to make your own decisions and don't allow what others think to affect that, you're okay in my book. Nonconformity is where it's at. :p Of course, if you hate something for the sheer fact that it's popular, you're no better than those that make of the majority.

If someone dresses in dark clothes a lot with dark make-up, or if they like to skate or get stoned, that's their own business, as long as they're expressing how they really are. And on the other end of the spectrum, hating preps just because they're preps isn't good either, if you don't have a reason to hate them besides their title. XD

I usually don't have other people label me, but I'd be the first to say that my label is "-sshole." I just really am an -sshole. I hurt people with what I say, and I sometimes mean to hurt, but sometimes don't mean to. I guess hurting people comes naturally to me, huh. Yep...I'm definitely an -sshole.

At my old school in Wisconsin there were labels yes, but like at Corey's school, everyone was usually friends with each other. I myself was in the "nerdy" group, but I would hang out with the "popular" kids. The groups at that school were popular, nerd/geek, druggies(many of which were popular too), and just the normal ones who didn't care about anything. Everyone was friends yes, but you would see them choose someone from their "group" to hang out with first. Like I said, I would hang out with everyone, mostly people from the druggie group...*cough* :eek:

Anyways, my new school in Georgia...wowzas. The popular people only hang with the popular people, geeks with the geeks...I think you get the picture. It really annoys me, heh.

But hey, nothing we can really do about it. It is part of schools everywhere really.

Guest Clarion
*1st post-it*

Well, I think we've only got preps, jocks, punks, and nerds. I'd say I definitely belong to the punks, but that doesn't mean I only hang with my friends. I guess it depends on who you like/what you have in common with other people. I mean hey, preps hang out with punks. Jocks hang out with nerds...

When you enter highschool, some of us like to grow into a certain clique. Some of us don't want to belong to any. Some just explore to find their inner self, possibly, or to help define us in some way, until they find the right "place." Some don't find any "place" (and like it).

But, when you look at everyone (including yourself), are we all posers in the end? Maybe, maybe not. I guess it depends on how you look at it. (Funny, to answer my own question. Sounds like I'm talking to myself.) ^_^;

[COLOR=TEAL][SIZE=1]When I was in the lower years of my school this sort of social split was around but after going into 6th Form [I dunno what grade that is but it's 17-18] it seems to have fallen away because I've made friends with a lot of people I didn't even know and had already made judgements about them ^_^;;. Only a few people in my year [Upper 6th] still cling to it and from the looks of things so do some people in lower 6th do as well.

I think this kind of split is bad for youngsters because it gives them bad ideas about people because of what they listen to or what they wear so I say 'REVOLUTION!' :p[/SIZE][/COLOR]

At my high school, nobody gave a ****. You had Mexicans and non-Mexicans, who were split mostly because of the language barrier. But within these groups I didn't feel like there was a huge distinction. A few people tried really hard to fit into a label (because you are what you wear, after all), but nobody cared in the end because we know it's all ******** that doesn't matter. People go on and on about how they're labelled and what not (shown by the fact we get a topic like this at least once a month) and yet maybe if you weren't trying so hard to fit into that label you wouldn't be, duh.

[size=1][color=darkblue][font=franklingothicmedium]Well, how about this. My school doesn't have these "labels", we all can just label ourselves as b****'s and b*****d's. How's that for an answer.

No, really, I think we have few people that can actually fit those catagories. Such as the "popular people" are separated into the Preps and Jocks, depending on gender... but normally Jocks are Preppy anyway... therefore there is no difference beside the fact that Jocks play sports.
Everyone else in my school basically have their own group. You can't quite label them. I guess there is a more punky group, and the wanna-be's. Otherwise, there are just... people. People have "labeled" me things like Goth, Skater Chick, or just some crazy name or another. But, me, I don't catagorize myself as anything. Other people can think whatever they want.

My grade population is halg labeled, half not. >.< That is messed up.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='wrist cutter']A few people tried really hard to fit into a label (because you are what you wear, after all)[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Unless your school has a uniform policy in which case almost everyone looks exactly the same, save for my schools in which the girls had a different uniform to the lads, the girls wore skirts and blue, we wore pants and wine. My new school is pretty much the same except it's all boys but seniors have the cooler black jumper as opposed the juniors red. So to that extent it's not so much "[I]You are what you wear.[/I]"

Actually in my old school a lot of the nerds were big guys, I stand somewhere around 6'1" so it was kind of hard for people to take the piss out of you when you're a good 3/4 inches taller than them. Mostly people just hung around with their respective groups and we all got on well, some people even floated from group to group because at the end of the day you've enough shite in your life to deal with in school without labels too.[/SIZE]

We have a uniform at our school, but we still have the labels. The run on more on what you look like, and what you act like, other than what you wear.

Basically, there's the three main groups, from top to bottom. There's about 20,000 labels in these groups though, ha. I've done pretty well for myself in the label part at this school, can't wait for the yet another school I'm at next year.. :drunk:

[size=1]I was outta breath after reading that first post ~_^

Anyway, I'm...me. There are definitely groups of people around. Some of them could be classified, but mainly, we're all just people of similar interests. I'm smart, but not a geek, and hang with the 'cool' people sometimes. Mostly I just hang with my friends though. There isn't really any enmity between groups, if only because they're not set groups, just mainly friends. It isn't like they're set in stone, it's just habit.

Anyway, labels can be useful, but stereotyping is bad.[/size]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1] I hate people who stick to labels just to fit in and dont do what they believe in and be who they are. I learned that in freshman year, you could say i tried about every group i could find, and found out it was just easier to be me. When I first started out, my school was very labeled and seperated, so much so that my school started a holiday based solely on sitting with other people you didnt know. Everyone hated hicks, but if u go over and talk to them, are they any different besides the clothes they wear and the way they talk? is that really so different? You have to make changes yourself. I stopped caring what other people thought about me, and learned that it makes life so much easier. The people around you also start to change, so if your school is like that, you can make a big difference by showing them not to believe in stupid labels. plus once you become a senior, your pretty much mature by then not to use such stupid things, you should hate someone because of who they are and there personality, not because of a stereotype. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=wrist cutter][SIZE=8][color=brightred]SARCASM.[/color][/size]

[size=1]that is all.[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Uhuh... and the point of that was ? Besides you were the very one who went on about different labels in your school and then went on to point out about you are what you wear. As such I made the assumption that the different cliques wore different clothing to one another.[/SIZE]

My school is highly labeled. Everyone seems OK with what they're labeled, but I personally don't label people. I was labeled a punk (by myself), then according to the labelers there is:

Wangstas, jocks, punks,tomboys,preps,goths...and the "nerds". We usually label ourselves, then everyone just sticks with what you labeled yourself. Unless you're a "wangsta" thats labeling themselves "goth" or something.lol