OtakuBoards

Spike TV Video Game Awards Show 04

Sol-Blade

[SIZE=-3]Ahem, where to begin. Well, as I'm sure you all...didn't know, the very craptacular [b]Spike TV Video Game Awards Show 04[/b] are airing tonight. Personally, I think that the whole gala is a sham, and a very big one at that. To me, it looks like they hardly take their selections seriously. I mean, half of the games that are nominated this year, shouldn't really be there. Of course, they talk about the big hits like Halo II and GTA: San Andreas, which were both excellent games mind you. But the fact is, it seems mostly for publicity. As hard as they try to seem legit, it doesn't really come off that way. For one thing, it looks like some games bought their way into the show, and on the other it seems Spike was hoping to nab some dough from all the studios dumb enough to participate in this event.

Also, what's with all the celeberties? Sure, celeberties may play games, but by far I doubt they are in anyway, [i]avid[/i] gamers. Let me explain that. Anyone, hell EVERYONE can be classifed as a gamer. But, an avid gamer is one who, in my honest opinion, knows his material. If anyone caught last year's show, they had Pamela Anderson announce that [B]True Crime :Streets of LA[/B] had won best action game of the year. She then began to "talk" about the game's amazing gameplay and it's breathtaking graphics. We must have picked up two different games. =/

I can't wait to see what kind of hijinks go on tonight. Well, that my two cents, anyone care to comment on the show?[/SIZE]

I remember last year that a lot of people involved with game creation were rather put off by the show (even those invited to appear on it) because of how much of it really made fun of gamers more than tried to embrace them. That and various other reasons you mentioned.

I have no plans on ever seeing this, mostly because I think TV award shows are always a sham.

[center][img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21782&stc=1[/img][/center]
[center] [/center]
[center] [/center]
[center] [/center]

[center][img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21783&stc=1[/img][/center]

[left]I think those two just about sum it up. ^_^[/left]

I hated the VGA's last year and I hated this one as well. I was hoping for this year to be better but sadly, it wasn't. Gphoria is way better, they even reanact a scene from Kingdom Hearts, which I thought was cool. Gphoria, for those of you who doesn't know what channel its from, its from G4techtv. I had that channel before but damn cable network took it off, I have to order it know...

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]I really dislike the VGA's because they aren't real. How does that show get any credit, why do they have a say in what games are good/bad/awesome. It is just a publisity thing to try and draw in a new audiance. That is how I feel about the VGA's:flaming: [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]Now, Gphoria on the other hand, it had celebrity guests, not games that won because a celebrity chose it. The winners were chosen by... what's the word I'm looking for... GAMERS!!!! I mean gamers as in the everyday person, who happens to really like video games, but sure a celebrity might have voted, but their vote wasn't the deciding one like in the VGA's. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]Gphoria = good; :D [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]VGA's = BAD!!!:mad: [/color][/size][/font]

[SIZE=-3]The G-Phoria showing last year was great, but I practically laughed my a** off when I saw that guy come out dressed as Sephiroth and say, [I]"Estuans interius ira vehementi"[/I], a line from One-Winged-Angel. Heh, they go all out...which is a good thing. Thumbs up to G-Phoria! :D

Anyways, hey I didn't catch the VGA's! Such a shame, I wonder how I could have ever missed it! Besides I just read over their list of winners. Does anyone else sense money transactions? Hmm...[/SIZE]

Well, I've never watched any video-game awards shows (I don't think I get the channels), but from what you've all said, it sounds to me like you all disagree with the VGA's picks and are pretty pissed off that the show didn't choose the games you were hpoeing for. Sure, games like Halo 2, GTA: San Andreas, and Metroid Prime 2 are good, and they're certainly quite popular, but some people (such as myself) actually think that awards should go to the games that [i]deserve [/i]them, even if those games are ones I'd never play. For example, in Nintendo Power Magazine's 2004 Power Awards, Zelda: Wind Waker won every catagory it was nominated in, including Best Graphics (Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time looks a [i]lot[/i] better) and Best Game (My favorite was Viewtiful Joe, but my pick for Best Game was Prince of Persia). Also, I don't accuse people of accepting bribes when the games that win aren't the ones I wanted to win. Seriously, I think you people are just pissed because your favorite games didn't win.

[quote name='Takuya']Seriously, I think you people are just pissed because your favorite games didn't win.[/quote]

I can't speak for anyone else (though I'm sure that there are plenty of others who feel this way), but I don't like it, because it's yet another god awful television awards show. I watched it last year, and the quality of the show was rather terrible. I couldn't possibly care less about who won what, because the show didn't make me care - all I could think about was how lame it was.

I didn't watch it this year, but from what I've heard, Spike TV has not done much different at all. Makes me glad that I chose to skip it.

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]Just because I feel I need to clarify, and also because my post did sound as if I was pissed that my game didn't win, but I didn't even watch the whole VGA's this year, and I was ranting because the VGA's have no credit or authority on who should win or lose. Yet Gphoria's winner's were picked by gamers. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]I am ranting and raving like this because I feel that Gphoria has a better grasp, and the credit (which is that the gamer's pic), and is an all in all better show. That's what I meant by my post.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][font=Century Gothic][color=gray]Sorry if this rant is out of place/not needed.:smirk:[/color][/font] [/size][/font]

[FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Let's face facts people: gamers were just not meant for the telly. Why do you think we are a bunch of people sitting behind computer terminals and closed doors? We are just not social creatures, and the terrible acting and speech-giving skills displayed in these award shows are all the proof any (somehow) doubtful person needs.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='AzureWolf][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Let's face facts people: gamers were just not meant for the telly. Why do you think we are a bunch of people sitting behind computer terminals and closed doors? We are just not social creatures, and the terrible acting and speech-giving skills displayed in these award shows are all the proof any (somehow) doubtful person needs.[/COLOR][/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]Well, I would say speak for yourself, but I can tell you are coming from a good place. I have a life outside of gaming, and I know quite a bit of people who game, and carry on normal lives. I used to play all the time, before I had a job. . now, I job, play games, and still carry on a normal life! Anyways, I know what you meant, I think~

Personally, I will never watch a gaming show produced for Spike TV. . I mean, I watched their little 'Halo 2' special, and almost threw my Nintendo Wavebird at the Television (to both cleanse the tv, and to make the pain stop), but then I realized that it would only hurt me in too many ways to even count.

Anyways, I love the way that paid spokesman try to 'endorse' the video games. . I think it's about as painful as crashing your car into a tree sideways (not going there). I don't see the point. I'm happy enough just picking up a gaming magazine and seeing what they have to say about certain games. I suppose I could go on, but I won't even bother. . [/SIZE][/COLOR]

My favorite games are usually not even nominated, let alone voted for. I expect this as I know I tend to go for more off-key games that a lot of people don't seem into for whatever reason. Because of this, I'm not like "I'm mad my favorite game didn't win!!!". I don't have weird fanboy expectations where I get upset if Nintendo doesn't win best game or Shin Megami Tensei is not even talked about.

Yet, I'm still like "My god this show is unknowingly cheesy, poorly produced and full of things that are only there so the show will appeal to a broader spectrum of people... which it still didn't even manage to do". Still, I don't know how anyone wouldn't be bothered to see Streets of LA win a major award, regardless of how dumb the show is.

I've not seen GPhoria, but I'm glad that it sounds as if it's a better show.

Guest Faye022
wow! I don't really play video games that much but...wow! You guys really hate award shows as much as I do! I was thinking about seeing it to see what games are popular this year, but after reading all the hate I am glad I missed it!! Got ta go! :)

[SIZE=-3]Well, personally I'm not MAD that my favorite games didn't win, because they did. I like GTA: SA, Half-Life 2 and Halo II, they were all pretty good. That's not the point, the point is the credibilty of such a program. Not questioning whether it is serious or not, that's pretty obvious. What I am trying to point out, is that the show is so horribly produced, it hurts my eyes! lol

G-Phoria, while just another stupid awards show, can actually be taken seriously. I believe they know their stuff, because most of the games that deserve to be in the catagories...are actually there. G4-TechTV is, for lack of a better term, like the VH1 (Hey, its a good channel for music!) for games, while SpikeTV is the MTV version for games.

Of course though, G-Phoria and G4-TechTV in general doesn't get nearly as much exposure as it deserves, probably because you need satellite or digital cable to get it. But I'd recommend you do, they are a great channel. :D[/SIZE]

Here in Richmond G4 is on regular cable...

anyway, its not really that the games I liked weren't on there. I didn't really play many games this year. In fact, all I did was buy a whole bunch of PS2 launch titles! I pretty much didn't play anything new this year except Mario Power Tennis and some GBA games. All the games that were nominated were 1) the obviouse most popular games that didn't really deserve some of the ratings they got. For example, while the media hyped the h$ll out of Halo 2, most Halo fans that I know were really dissapointed. 2) There was not a single d@/\/\ /\/ Nintendo title that wasn't a handheld.

When yOU WATCH G4, you get REAL gamers up there, talking about the great games they reviewed and played on their shows. Real gamers vote for the games on the website. And most of all, they wait till the year is OVER to do the awards. Wouldn't it be funny if one of the December titles rocks the world?

I didn't watch the SpikeTV VGAs this year, but I remember quite a few things about last year's show.

For one thing, I don't remember them naming nominees. A presenter would come out, make their typical "award show presenter" jokes, and then name a winner. They didn't count off the nominees, show their clips, or anything. They just told you who won. It's almost as if there weren't any real nominees for them to name-- just a video game endorsement.

Also, SpikeTV's VGAs pick very [i]very[/i] recent titles. I remember seeing games win that had only come out [i]weeks[/i] before the show aired. I've yet to see any other award show (movies, music, ect.) that would give an award to a property that's been available to the public for less than a month. The VGAs did that.

And don't even get me started on the musical guests.

G-Phoria, on the other hand, was hosted and arranged by a network of [strike]geeks[/strike] [strike]techies[/strike] gamers. Nothing on that show felt like a buy-off. I watched G-Phoria thinking "my favorite game lost, but the other game was good, too" rather than "why the hell did that game win?"

Also, with G-Phoria, you know the celebrity guests actually played videogames. G4TechTV has the advantage of airing a TV series called [i]Players[/i], where we watch celebrities play and talk about their favorite videogames.