OtakuBoards

Mecha games!

Dragonboym2

[COLOR=Blue]Hey there again! It's your old freind Dragonboym2.
What games featuring mecha do you like the best? Which ones are the worst? Why do you like and/or dislike them?
For me, the mecha games I like are:

Front Mission 3 and 4-Decent plots, characters, and twists and turns. I like the mecha involved, with a more realistic approach, and the turn based combat.

R.A.D.-A tribute to old school mecha anime, with some Evengelion thrown in there. The mecha are huge, and take alot of imspriation from Mazinger Z, Macross, Southan Cross, Giant Robo, etc.

Gundam: Federation Vs. Zeon-Addictive gameplay, many modes, voices, characters, and music from the seires, and you can play both sides, with all available mobile suits for it. You can even take part in battles from the series.

Xenosaga-Wonderfully made, a great story, complex characters, and the mecha look really good too.

Zone Of The Enders 1 and 2-Part Gundam, part Evengelion. The mecha have great looks, and the graphics and voice are some of the best I've ever seen. The story is very involved, and has surprise after surprise.

Robotech: Battlecry-For fans of the series, a must have. It goes along with the Macross saga with lots of new characters, and addicitve gameplay. The cel shading makes it look just like the anime.

Xenogears-A RPG that is one for mecha/anime fans. Great design, mecha, story, and cut anime scenes make it a must have.

What do you guys like?

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]Gundam Side Story year 0079: Rise from the Ashes
Dang cool dreamcast game. 1st-person inside a Mobile-Suit. Nothin' sucks more than losing your head, and having to run on the chest-cams, w/o your tracking machine-guns...[/FONT][/COLOR]

I guess you dont have an Xbox if you didn't even mention the Mechwarrior and Mechassault series. Mechassault is the ultimate mech game! There are a ton of mechs, each has multiple weapons, and you can destroy EVERYTHING. Not to mention you can play on Xbox live. You can buy the first Mechassault for 10 to 15 dollars at Gamestop.

I really wanted to like Mech Assault and really looked forward to finally playing it. By the time I did, I just wasn't that impressed. It didn't do anything I hadn't seen before and it wasn't that amazing. I was kind of disappointed. Maybe I just needed to spend more time with it.

I used to play Mechwarrior 2 way back on the PC. I had a lot of fun with that game, even though it was ugly as sin and a pain in the *** at times. Incredibly slow paced most of the time, but it did what it did well.

[color=darkred]There aren't many mecha games that I've played for me to make a judgement on which one is my favourite, but I think ZOE deserves a mention here.

The controls were a little jagged at first, but I soon got used to them after replaying many areas seeing as I was lost for the most part of the game, heh. What particularly makes ZOE stand out though, is the camera angles. They were never jerky, and neither did they ever just completely screw me over, by which I mean weren't set out of proportion when it came to head-on battles.

I dunno what else I can say, because it was years ago since I last played the game. Some of the Gundam games are pretty decent, though I prefer them as fighters for some strange reason.[/color]

I actually did go all out and pay $200 (not $300) for Steel Battalion. Probably the best and most immersive Mech game i have ever played. It was incredibly fun to play although it was kinda short lived and at times very frustrating. I wouldn't say it was worth the $200 but you can probably find it pretty cheap on ebay nowadays, so i would recommend it.

[COLOR=Blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS][quote name='QuincyArcher']I wouldn't say it was worth the $200 but you can probably find it pretty cheap on ebay nowadays, so i would recommend it.[/quote]

CHEAP on E-bay? that 300$ I posted was because of a bid i saw, lol!
Anyway, I heard you hafta do a systems check/startup before the level, and engage a dozen or so switches for pre-dispatch, etc. Certainly sounds immersive to me.
Though, my fave mech. game, personally would have to be [FONT=Century Gothic]"Faselei!"[/FONT] for the Neo-Geo Pocket Color. good stuff, and mucho replay value (new ships, and about a dozen secrets).[/FONT][/COLOR]

My favorites were Armored Core , AC: Project Phantasma and AC: Master of Arena though the game never really evolved staying with a working formula is not always a bad thing. The controls were a bit strange at first but once you have them down your completely set up for the next games and the ability to build your own machine was nice. I built more then one big dud that could barely move though the defense was quite good usually as was attack power but not being able to get away from the start point after 5 minutes was a drawback, Lol.

Another good mecha game was on the pc and will always have a place in my dreams it was called SHOGO Mobile Armor Division by Monolith. It had a great anime theme and was also a mean fps out of your armor I had a good deal of fun playing this game running through cities and peering around buildings to sneak up on opponets. It was too bad a sequel for this game was never made but I will always have my memories of it's pure mecha goodness.

Guest Redblade
Yeah AC has to be the best. i love the story, it just keeps on getting better. and the CG are always the best. also the exstentsive parts and combos you can use are amazing. its almost impossible to find some one with exactly the same setup. now thats deep.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Occasionally, I'll get the chance to rent an X-box. When I do, I always rent a nice little mech game called Phantom Crash. It's a blast, and I reccomend it to everyone.

It doesn't really offer anything new. It has a lot of customization, but not as much as AC. There's also an Optic Camoflage dealy, but a bunch of other games have probably done that. But even then, it's still an awesome game. The gameplay is really fun and easy to get a hang of, and the camera angles have never screwed me over. You can switch between a default third-person view, a first-person view, side views, and something akin to the cinematic camera of GTA. The music is cool, ranging from techno to J-pop to God knows what, and since it's for the X-box, you can probably upload your own music, although I never tried. There are only three battling arenas, but they never really get old. There are lots of weapons to get, and you can nudge you mech's specs however you like, making it a plodding tank or a zipping terror.

All in all, a very fun, entertaining game that doesn't get old. And plus, one of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had came from swooping down on an unsuspecting mech and eviscerating it with what was essentially a giant shiv attached to my mech's arm.[/FONT]

[I]Which is better

gundam:encounters in space

or

Gundam:battle assault 3[/I]

[COLOR=Blue]I'd say "Gundam: Encounters in space." I was a bit dissipointed by Battle Assult. It was slow, and not as involving as I hoped. But there were alot of cool fantasy Gundam matches I'd like to see. Like Char Vs. Zechs, or Hero Vs Kira. I just hope that "Gundam: Gundam Vs. Zeta Gundam" is good. Do you think so?

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

Guest Alchemist
Have you all heard of the new mech game about to come out called Gundam vs Zeta Gundam. XPLAY just did there preview of it on thurday. I plan to get it when I am in japan.

[COLOR=Indigo]I'd also go with the Armored Core series.

To anyone interested in buying the game, get "Silent Line, Armored Core".

The controls take some gettind used to, but when you do, you'll fight just to see the replays, trust me.

There is no need to waste money on "Armored Core: Nexus". The amount of extras they give is minute compared to the others.[/COLOR]

Guest Alchemist
[QUOTE=Havokio][COLOR=Indigo]I'd also go with the Armored Core series.

To anyone interested in buying the game, get "Silent Line, Armored Core".

The controls take some gettind used to, but when you do, you'll fight just to see the replays, trust me.

There is no need to waste money on "Armored Core: Nexus". The amount of extras they give is minute compared to the others.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Is that the one coming out for the PSP?

[I]Have you all heard of the new mech game about to come out called Gundam vs Zeta Gundam. XPLAY just did there preview of it on thurday. I plan to get it when I am in japan.[/I]

[COLOR=Blue]They did? Already? I'm looking forward to that game, but I can allready hear Adam Sessler's voice saying: "We give Gundam: Gundam Vs. Zeta Gundam", a Three, out of five." They give almost EVERY game a three out of five. Besides, I like Morgan better. :D
They sure have alot of attractive and interesting girls on G4. Morgan (I heard that she turned down an offer from Playboy.), Diana, the new host of cheat, Tina, and Laura (Laura is INSANE. In a good way. She has alot of energy. I like that.) .

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]