OtakuBoards

Cover Songs

The Drizzle

[COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Verdana]Yay this is my first thread! (and post) :D

Well anyways, I was going through my tiny obsession of the week and that is cover songs. I know that cover songs arent usually as good as the original, but I have found some that make the song their own and it sounds really cool. I was looking for some really good ones to download. You can also name your faves too, if you want. To name them, put the song name first and then put who it was by, then the origanal artist. Like this= song:cover artist/original artist

So far my favorite ones have been:
-Knockin on heavens door: Roger Waters/Bob Dylan
-Another brick in the wall (pts. 1,2,3): KoRn/Pink Floyd
-What a wonderful world: Joey Ramone/???
-All along the watchtower: Jimi Hendrix/Bob Dylan
-Personal Jesus: Marylin Manson/Depeche Mode
-Take your mama: The zutons/sisscor sisters (not well known, but w/e its awesome!)
-Kick out the jams: Rage against the machine/MC5
-Fire: Red hot chili peppers/jimi hendrix
-Viva Las vegas: Dead Kennedys/Elvis
-Crazy Little thing called love:Queen/???
-Hurt: johnny cash/Nine inch nails
and others by korn, marylin manson, clash, and the ramones

Alright thanx![/FONT]
[/COLOR]

Louis Armstrong did What a Wonderful World. I doubt any would be as good as the original.

As for ones I like:

Darling Nikki - Apocalypse Hoboken/Prince (only one that even remotely catches the sexuality present in the original)

Rock n' Roll ****** - Marilyn Manson/Patti Smith - Really great song that's more about being outcasted for superficial reasons than anything else

I Put a Spell On You - Marilyn Manson/Screamin' Jay Hawkins - Great song either way, but Manson's version is pretty perfect as far as covers go.

Cactus - David Bowie/Pixies - Great cover of a great, morbid song. Having Bowie cover a song of yours is a huge honor, I bet.

Send Me an Angel - Zeromancer/Real Life

Creep - Scarling/Radiohead - I think Jessicka singing this gives it a whole new take.

I can't think of anything else offhand, but there are tons.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']Creep - Scarling/Radiohead - I think Jessicka singing this gives it a whole new take.[/quote]

Definitely. I don't care for the original all that much, but I like the Scarling version quite a bit.

A couple of covers that I like:

"Touch Me I'm Sick" - Sonic Youth/Mudhoney: I like Sonic Youth's version a lot more. Kim Gordon's voice gives the song an edge that wasn't really present in the original.

"Superstar" - Sonic Youth/The Carpenters: I've yet to hear the original version, but damn, does Sonic Youth's version ever rule. Tony will back me up on this. It's godly.

"Head On" - Pixies/The Jesus and Mary Chain: Nice change of pace in the Pixies version, which is a lot faster than the original. They're both quite fun.

I need to hear the Bowie cover of "Cactus" - I imagine that it rules.

[COLOR=DarkOrange]There actually aren't a lot of covers I like...anyone who cover a Beatles song almost automatically has me despising the song (with a few exceptions). The covers I [i]do[/i] like, however, I love.

Come Together - The Beatles/Aerosmith
I despise Aerosmith. But I absolutly love their version of Come Together. I can't quite say why.

Day Tripper - The Beatles/Jimi Hendrix
Hendrix made the guitars in this song about twice as good as normal. And that's hard, for me.

Changes - David Bowie/Butterfly Boucher
I love the original - I love the remake. I find it interesting that he sang on the remake, too...it kinda goes with NPC's statement...if you think having Bowie [i]cover[/i] your song, imagine what singing with him would be like!

I'm a believer - Neil Diamond/The Monkees/Smashmouth: I don't like Neil Diamond, but I love the monkees version...and then you have [i]Smashmouth[/i] doing it...that's just 100 times better than the Monkees

Daydream Believer - The Monkees/Shonen Knife
No real explanation...i just do.

Helter Skelter - The Beatles/u2/Pat Benatar/Motley Crue: While I think no one in existance sings this better than Paul, Pat Benatar sang this with the perfect semi-scary edge in her voice. u2, however, did a horrible job, in my opinion. I don't know if it's because Bono didn't put enough edge in his voice, or what, but it sounds weak. I did appreciate the "stealing this song back from Charles Manson" bit. I do not care for The Crue's verision, but even they did it better than u2.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Presidents of the united statse of america (pusa) also did a cover of "Kick out the jams"

White Zombie did a bad *** (as in GREAT for the slow ones out there...) cover of "boggie man"

Rob Zombie did an awful cover of "Blitzkreig Bop", and an ok version of "Brick House"

Joey Ramone did "What a wonderful world"

Rage Against the Machine (RATM or Rage) also did some other cover from a rap band. i forget the band, but the song was "How i could just kill a man" i don't care for rap, but this was a good song...

Many people did "I Faught the Law", Clash, Green Day, Dead Kennedeys (DK)...

Some band (i forget the name) did a full CD cover of Pink Floyd's Animals

Slipknot did a cover of Korn's "Blind" though it's very hard to find

That's all i can think of right now...

Oh yeah... DK also did "Viva Las Vegas"[/COLOR]

Summer Of '69 - Brain Adams/Bowling For Soup, A punk cover, faster then the original, alot faster..

Die, Die My Darling - The Misfits/Metallica, Usually, I prefer the Misfits over Metallica, but in this case, the cover is better then the original.

Wannabe - Spice Girls/Zebrahead - Punk cover, plain fun ^^

Those are the ones I can think of right now.

Good ones

Word Up- Cameo/Korn (I never expected Korn to remake this Hip Hop classic)

Time after time- Cindi Lauper/INOJ

Love Song- The Cure/311 (I know a lot of people don't like 311's version, but I think its pretty cool)

I can see clearly now-Johnny Nash. I don't know how many people have remade it, but it's a great song every time

Boys of Summer-The Eagles/Bryan Adams/The Ataris (I like Bryan Adams the most)

Smooth Criminal-Michael Jackson/Alien Ant Farm (though Jackson's is always better)

Fly Like an Eagle-???/Seal

American Woman-???/Lennie Kravitz

Lately-Divine/Samantha Mamba

Some that should have left well alone

Britney Spears remake of "Can't get no satisfaction"

Master P's remake of "Time after Time"

Bone Thugs N Harmony's remake of "War" on the "Toy Soldiers" soundtrack

Will Smith sampling "Rock the Casbah" to make "Willenium"

Britney Spear's "My Perogative"

Lil Kim, Missy Elliot, Da Brat, Angie Martinez "Ladies Night"

[quote name='Omar Harris']Love Song- The Cure/311 (I know a lot of people don't like 311's version, but I think its pretty cool)[/quote]

This reminds me, Jack Off Jill did an excellent cover of The Love Song as well.

Metallica did a handful of Misfits covers on that one CD of theirs. In fact, that's really the reason the Misfits exploded as much as they did, as they didn't seem to be in the public's mind quite as much beforehand.

Marilyn Manson also did an excellent cover of The Doors' Five to One, which is one of my favorite Doors songs to begin with (although much better live than studio).

[QUOTE=Omar Harris]

Fly Like an Eagle-???/Seal

American Woman-???/Lennie Kravitz

[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Fly like an Eagle - ??? = Steve Miller Band

American Woman - ??? = The Guess Who

While I've never heard Seal's version of Fly Like an Eagle, I will disagree with you on the Lenny Kravitz one...I don't like his version of American Woman at all, compared to the original.[/COLOR]

The Man Who Sold The World - Nirvana/David Bowie

The cover was about a billion times better than the original...outstanding.

Smells Like Teen Spirit- Tori Amos/ Nirvana

Tori put a whole new slow, sadness into this song that I can't quite explain...very good, piano driven. She made it her own.

Lake Of Fire- Nirvana/Meat Puppets

Nirvana did a VERY well-done cover of this song and a handful of other meat puppets songs, too.

Seasons In The Sun- Nirvana/Terry Jacks

Wow. Just...oh my god...wow. Makes me cry.

[size=1]I'm not a big fan of covers. I find that more often than not they sound all too similar to the original. I think if a band is going to try and sing a song that isn't theirs they should really try to make it their own. I think the best cover is the cover that sounds nothing like the original, so you ask yourself have I've heard this before solely because of the lyrics. I think A Perfect Circle did a good job of Imagine originally by John Lennon. In fact, A Perfect Circle also did a good job of People are People originally by Depeche Mode. I have a bad habit of remembering what I dislike more often that what I like so that's all I have to contribute lol. [/size]

[quote name='CaptainAnarchy']The cover was about a billion times better than the original...outstanding..[/quote]

Bzz. This is wrong. :D Bowie actually does a different version of this as well, which is far slower paced and has this weird electronic ambient background music. Quite good.

It is a good cover, though. I'll never argue that much. It always upset me that the radio version cut out the part where Cobain goes "That was a David Bowie song".

[size=1][color=SlateGray]Some of my favorite cover songs include....

[b]Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics/Marilyn Manson

[/b]No -brainer for me, I quite liked the original version, and Manson's cover kicked ***. A heavy rock version of this song really works well.

[b]Word Up - Cameo/Korn
[/b]
Korn did such an excellent job coverign this song. i can't even bear lsitening to the original as the vocals make my brain explode, which is funny since I lonyl like cover songs when I liked hte original.

[b]Every breath you take - The Police/Millencolin

[/b]I like Millencolin's fast punk version of this song.

[b]Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams/Bowling for Soup
[/b]
Bryan adams version of this song is really good, and it's one of my all time favorites from the 80's.

Bowling for Soup's version is a way cool, heavier version. Findign that song on WinMX got me into the band, and I have since bought the album.
[b]
Auld Lang Syne - Folk song/Me First and the Gimme Gimmes (MFATGG)

[/b]Excellent cover of the patron new years song. The version I plan to shock my older rellies with at the stroke of midnight, new years 2006, lol.

[b]Tainted Love - Soft Cell/MFATGG/Marilyn Manson

[/b]I liked Manson's version of this classic the best. The video clip is downright hilarious too.
[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Omar Harris]
Will Smith sampling "Rock the Casbah" to make "Willenium"[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed]How could Will Smith disgrace Rock the Casbah like that? I LOVE that song, one of the best Clash...

I respect Smith as an actor, but not at all as an artist.[/COLOR]

[size=1]Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Muse/...someone.

Feeling Good - Muse/Nina Simone.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - Radiohead/U2.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Faye Wong/Queen. Though I prefer the original.[/size]

[QUOTE=Zenju][size=1][color=SlateGray] [b]Tainted Love - Soft Cell/MFATGG/Marilyn Manson

[/b]I liked Manson's version of this classic the best. The video clip is downright hilarious too.
[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Tainted Love is actually originally recorded by Gloria Jones. No one seems to know this and quite frankly, I don't blame them. Soft Cell is the only reason anyone even knows it as it is lol.

I forgot Sonic Youth's cover of Superstar as Shin said. Totally perfect in every way!

[QUOTE=Omar Harris]Some that should have left well alone

Britney Spears remake of "Can't get no satisfaction"

Master P's remake of "Time after Time"

Bone Thugs N Harmony's remake of "War" on the "Toy Soldiers" soundtrack

Will Smith sampling "Rock the Casbah" to make "Willenium"

Britney Spear's "My Perogative"

Lil Kim, Missy Elliot, Da Brat, Angie Martinez "Ladies Night"[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Verdana]Ya there is A LOT of crap covers out there
Some other (dis)honorable ones are...

Behind Blue Eyes: Limp Biscuit/The Who
Its really amazing how a band can take a really kick@$$ song like this and turn it into crap

Feel Like Making Love: Kid Rock/(Aerosmith?)
Kid Rock has no right to do even his own songs, let alone other bands songs.

American Woman: Lenny Kravitz/The Guess Who
Any song Lenny Kravtiz does sucks

Chop Suey: Avril Lavigne/System Of A Down
I kid you not this song actually happened. OMG man...just why...
download it for a good laugh though(she also did knockin on heavens door)

The whole preformance of the MTV icon show on Metallica. (Avril Lavigne is in another place she shouldnt be) What really kills me is that Metallica looked like they were actually enjoying it! WHY!? HOW!?

Another thing is all of the teeny bopper people doing stupid covers i.e.Hillary Duff singing "my generation" by the Who. I bet she cant even name a member of the Who!!! They just take crappy songs(not including "my generation") and make them crappier

One last thing before I go is whats going on in some of the rap songs. I was flipping through the radio the other day and heard the riff in Back In Black and I was intruiged, but then after I heard what the song really sounded like I was disgusted. It was like musical diarehha. :sick: They cant do that...its just not fair...

Oh yeah and some new cover songs:
-Comfortably Numb: Sisscor Sisters/Pink Floyd
I dont know if many pink floyd fans like this song, but i do. They just make the song there own and it sounds awesome

-No Quarter: Tool/Led Zeppelin
It doesnt sound THAT much different from the origonal, but its heavier and it still sounds cool

-Thrice: Elanor Rigby/Beatles
I know, no one can touch the beatles. well i was never that big of a beatles fan anyway. the song isnt great or anything, but if you like the beatles but want a heavier version, then this is where to go[/FONT].[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=The Drizzle][COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Verdana]-Thrice: Elanor Rigby/Beatles
I know, no one can touch the beatles. well i was never that big of a beatles fan anyway. the song isnt great or anything, but if you like the beatles but want a heavier version, then this is where to go[/FONT].[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

godhead also does a really good version of this song. Eleanor Rigby seems pretty good from any decent band. It has that quality about it, I guess.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']godhead also does a really good version of this song. Eleanor Rigby seems pretty good from any decent band. It has that quality about it, I guess.[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Ray Charles did an interesting version of this song, too, and Booker T. did an excellent instrumental as well.

I heard an interesting cover the other day - Orchestra London and Glenn Bennet doing Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb"...It's sevearly missing the intensity of the original, but the orchestra adds something...

On the topic of remakes that need to die, Jim Carrey's remake of"I am the Walrus"...well...I think he said it best himself: "There! I have defiled a timeless work of art!'[/COLOR]

I almost forgot to mention another great cover "Knockin on Heaven's Door"- Bob Dylan/Guns n Roses. I didn't even know this was a cover until I heard it on "Be Cool" yesterday.

Also "Baby I love your ways"-remade several times, most recently by UB40, and UB40's cover of "I can't help falling in love with you" by Elvis Presley is a decent song.

Can't Take My Eyes off you-Lauren Hill (that's for you Juuthena)

Sweet Dreams-Eurythmics/Marilyn Manson (Manson's version is so deliciously creepy. I just want to make a horror movie and play that in the background all day)

P Diddy using "I'm Coming Out", "I got five on it" and "Every Breathe you Take" for "Mo Money Mo Problems", "Satisfy you" and "I'll be missing you", respectively. Probably the only good remakes Diddy made in his "let's sample everything" days

Will Smith using "Forget me nots" to make "Men in Black"

The Fugees take on "Killing me Softly"

Tupac using "Sadie" to make "Dear Mama". Two great songs made from the same beat

Tainted Love-Marilyn Manson again.

I think I heard Nas remake "Everybody wants to rule the world" and Phil Collins "In the Air tonight". Anyone else know? If so, are they any good?

[color=indigo]I know that I will be missing a ton of favorable covers, but here are a few that I can recall off of the top of my head.

Pearl Jam covering The Door?s [b]Break On Through[/b]--There is a version out there featuring Ray Manzarek on the keyboard. It is phenomenal, and I really think that Eddie Vedder does a great job miming Morrison?s rebellious yet broken vocal inflection. It is definitely more of a tribute than an original take on a song.

Stone Temple Pilots covering Def Leppard?s [b]Pour Some Sugar on Me[/b]?This was just a fun acoustic cover of Def Leppard?s ?classic? (obviously speculative, lol) power song. I believe it was first performed on STP?s Unplugged, an odd song to choose considering how popular depressing grunge ballads were at the time.

Jimi Hendrix covering Bob Dylan?s [b]All Along the Watch Tower[/b]?Dylan once said that he should never have performed the song, instead he should have just given the lyric to Jimi. Is that a compliment or what?

Nirvana covering David Bowie?s [b]The Man Who Sold the World[/b]?This was just such a fitting cover for Nirvana considering Cobain?s musical and social outlook. Plus, every good artist should cover a Bowie song once just to pay homage to the man.

Puff Daddy sampling Led Zeppelin?s [b]Kashmir[/b]?Yeah, I am being sarcastic. Jimmy Page, are really that hard up for cash?

I?ll add some more soon.[/color]

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud][color=indigo]Jimi Hendrix covering Bob Dylan?s [b]All Along the Watch Tower[/b']?Dylan once said that he should never have performed the song, instead he should have just given the lyric to Jimi. Is that a compliment or what?[/color][/quote]

I've also read that Dylan liked the manner in which the group covered his song so much that many times he basically does a version of their cover live instead of his original verison.

Anyone that covered Goonies R Good Enough by Cyndi Lauper is automatically cool too.

Raindrops keep falling on my head - manic street preachers/Burt Bacharach (I think)

That is my fav. But All the songs on the Manics cover album are amazing.
And I don't think I like amny other covers, or I don't know who did them orginally/who covered them. :animeswea

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Here are a few covers that I've liked (and that's it, others not worth listing/already listed):

[b]Word Up[/b]: [I][B]Korn[/B][/I]/[I][B]Cameo[/B][/I] - This has already been said, but I did enjoy this one so I decided to include it. I rather dislike Cameo's original.

[b]Another Brick in the Wall (Parts 1, 2 & 3 {along w/Goodbye Cruel World})[/b]: [I][B]Korn[/B][/I]/[I][B]Pink Floyd[/B][/I] - This is one of my favorite covers. I think Korn did a great job with this song(s) and I've listened to it non-stop during periods of Korn listening time.

[b]One[/b]: [I][B]Korn[/B][/I]/[I][B]Metallica[/B][/I] - (seems to be a pattern...) This is a good cover of Metallica's "One".

[b]People Are Strange[/b]: [I][B]Twiztid[/B][/I]/[I][B]The Doors[/B][/I] - I love this cover of The Doors' "People Are Strange". Other than the changing of a couple words, it's the same.

[b]Joker[/b]: [I][B]Twiztid[/B][/I]/[I][B]Steve Miller Band[/B][/I] - :D , "Joker" is a awsome song.

[b]Wild Boys[/b]: [I][B]Mnemic[/B][/I]/[I][B]Duran Duran[/B][/I] - Mnemic does a awsome metal-type version of this song.

then there's the worst cover I've ever heard, Avril Lavigne doing Metallica's "Fuel".... bleh...[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I really have no cover songs to contribute (Tony took most any I'd mention), but I'd like to mention that a lot of covers are piss-poor, because they sound like the same song all over again: a great example of this is Limp Bizkit's cover of The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes" - the song sounds almost exactly like The Who's version, and is a major rip-off in this sense. I've had people tell me they prefer Limp Bizkit's version to it, and I found the whole general acceptance of this song to be sickening. People who say they prefer the song over The Who's [i]original[/i] version just heard Limp Bizkit's version first and therefore prefer it it is more than likely.

A good cover takes an existing song and makes it different than it is in a way which works and a way which makes the song sound as good as, if not better, than the cover. Limp Bizkit's cover did none of this - it's basically the same song all over again, and therefore the cover seems indulgent and done just because The Who's song had a tried-and-true formula.