OtakuBoards

What Video Games had the worst/disappointing Sequels?

kairi007

Phantasy Star Online Episode 3 wasn't what I expected, although I already knew it was a card battle game. While still a great game, I thought that Ratchet and Clank 3 was less great than its predecessors. Tekken 4 was a bit of a letdown. Zelda the Wind Waker wasn't NEARLY as good as Ocarina of Time. Though, all of these aren't really big "dissapointments".

[quote name='ThatOneOddDude']Zelda the Wind Waker wasn't NEARLY as good as Ocarina of Time. Though, all of these aren't really big "dissapointments".[/quote]

That's like saying Ocarina of Time isn't nearly as good as A Link to the Past - it might be true, but who cares?

Also, I'll have to ask people to include more reasoning in their posts. If everyone is just going to post lists of disappointing sequels, then the thread isn't really going to get anywhere. If you talk about [i]why[/i] you think that certain sequels were disappointing, then we'll have a nice discussion on our hands. :)

This is kind of a tough question, because there are a lot of disappointing games in certain series that people may or may not consider 'sequels' to earlier games in the series. For example, how many people would consider Star Fox Adventures a sequel to StarFox 64? I don't know that I would, especially since they're [i]very[/i] different games.

Right now I'm looking at my collection of GameCube games, and one game is sticking out - Wave Race: Blue Storm. Wave Race 64 was a fun racing game, and I really enjoyed it the few times that I rented it. I was pretty excited when my dad bought Wave Race: Blue Storm, but my excitement quickly turned to disappointment.

The once fluid control controls of the original Wave Race were now really difficult to control, making it extremely frustrating to win races. Also, it seemed to me that the courses didn't evolve as much as they should have - it was a bit like going through the same old courses again. Just about the only aspect I really liked about the game was the graphics, which were definitely beautiful at the time. Other than that, though, the game was a pretty big step down from Wave Race 64.

There are probably tons more disappointing sequels, but that leapt to mind first lol.

Blue Storm is an absolutely excellent game that I think a lot of people didn't give enough of a chance. The control in Wave Race 64 was good, but largely because it was very "turn on a dime" in design. Blue Storm seems to be far more picky about things and I like that. If you customize your rider's abilities, some of them don't control much different than in the original game.

Mario Party 2- Me and my cousins played the first at sleepovers all the time. We love it. I rented this one and couldn't believe it. Where were my goals? Where had all the minigames gone? I was so angry with Nintendo(I had no idea that Hudson Soft. made it at the time). Then I bought numbers 3 and 4, which shows how detered I can become (nil).

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]I feel that [b]Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories[/b] was a big let down. The first [b]KH[/b] game was wonderful, and you must give the creators a little slack; going from a large console game to a handheld one isn't easy. But still, they didn't do the best they could have.

The gameplay is repetitive, annoying, and both unique and more strange than it had to be. The cards got me all confused, too. The bosses are ridiculously tough towards the end of the game. I know bosses are [i]suppossed[/i] to be difficult, but the bosses in this game are either radically easy, or obnoxiously difficult.

All in all, [b]KH: CoM[/b] was a big letdown. Fortunately, the console sequel to the first [b]KH[/b] game is coming out soon, and I can still look forward to that one.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']Blue Storm is an absolutely excellent game that I think a lot of people didn't give enough of a chance. The control in Wave Race 64 was good, but largely because it was very "turn on a dime" in design. Blue Storm seems to be far more picky about things and I like that. If you customize your rider's abilities, some of them don't control much different than in the original game.[/quote]

[color=#B0251E]Yeah, Blue Storm seems a bit Gran Turismo-esque, where the original was more arcade-like. Once you get used to Blue Storm's controls, it's actually a pretty intuitive and solidly-designed racer. I really enjoyed it, moreso than the original. Very tough in some places and very addictive.

In terms of sequels that I didn't like...hm. I don't know if I can think of any that I actually didn't like.

Wind Waker was gorgeous but it was also somewhat disappointing - the Triforce fetch-quest was particularly lazy. It felt very un-Nintendo. So that disappointed me.

Super Mario Sunshine was also a great standalone game, but as a sequel to Super Mario 64? I'm not sure. It was [i]great[/i] - especially on first play-through - but it ultimately wasn't as much of a leap forward as I'd hoped it would be. And I didn't at all like the story elements that they included. That didn't feel very Mario-esque to me.[/color]

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']Blue Storm is an absolutely excellent game that I think a lot of people didn't give enough of a chance. The control in Wave Race 64 was good, but largely because it was very "turn on a dime" in design. Blue Storm seems to be far more picky about things and I like that. If you customize your rider's abilities, some of them don't control much different than in the original game.[/quote]

Oh well, I guess it's not my thing for the most part. I'm not really into the more realistic controlling racers like Gran Turismo and the like (though I'm not sure how accurate a comparison that would be, control-wise, since I haven't played Blue Storm in a while lol). I was expecting a more arcade-like experience than I got.

I like Mario Party 2 more than the original Mario Party. First of all, those annoying "twirl the control stick" minigames were abolished. The palms of my hands were very happy about that. For the most part I liked the minigames and boards more, as well. I also really liked the cutscenes that came after the games were over (especially the pirate swordfight cutscene lol).

[quote]The gameplay is repetitive, annoying...[/quote]

I don't know, that describes Kingdom Hearts pretty well. :P