OtakuBoards

Only one anime the rest of your life! CHOOSE!

geekinthecloset

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=3]Ok just got really serious into anime, dabbled for awhile now I NEED GREAT anime you know the kind (if you could only have one series for the rest of your life :animecry: ) you could watch it again and again and be happy! :animesmil I'm more of a blood and guts kinda girl :D , but not senseless violence(that's just WRONG) it has to have a decent story line! I've seen wolfs rain, earthian, kenshin,fma,dnangel! So tell me your favorite and why I might keep it the rest of my life :cool: ![/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=Indigo]undefined[/COLOR] I SEE you I know you're looking, why won't you answer me??

With the topic question, none. It would be torture to only have one anime to remember anime as a whole by. I'd rather just forget it.

But if you're looking for good anime, I can recommend a few.

For comedy, watch GTO. The humor is the type that you really have to see to get, so I won't try to explain any of the jokes. But I will say that its on of the two anime that made me laugh so hard that I started crying. Another cool thing about GTO is that there's also great drama and character developement thrown in. Onizuka ties with Guts as my favorite protagonist ever. Lastly, I think that its worth noting that this is the only somewhat well-known anime that I've never ran across haters of. Just do yourself a favor and pick this up.

For action, I recommend Berserk. You wanted blood and guts? This shows got blood and guts, and a great story to go with it! If you can make it through the mediocre beginning episodes, you'll be in for a real treat as you get to know the characters better. The first episode is actually the farthest along in the Berserk timeline. It flashes back at the end of it. One of my favorite things about the Berserk anime is watching things evolve and get better and knowing what's going happen to all of it eventually. Again, just pick this one up and keep watching.

For some dark drama, see Neon Genesis Evangelion. This anime is considered to be required viewing by many fans, and for good reason. For starters, you won't find better character developement in any other anime that I can think of. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I'm not alone with having gotten really attatched to Misato and the three main Eva pilots. It seems like nobody is completely indifferent to any of the major characters by the time that they're done, and that alone says something. Once you hit the later part of the series, I can guarantee you that you'll be depressed abou the crap that the main characters go through. The downside to this series is that, much like Berserk, it takes a long time to hit the meat and potatos of the series. The first three DVDs are basically light-hearted character developement episodes with lots of action and humor... a typical mecha action anime. Like I said with Berserk, pick this baby up and tough it out. You won't regret. One more thing though. After you watch the series, make sure that you pick up End of Evangelion. I refuse to call the last two episodes of the series the true ending after watching EoE.

[COLOR=DarkRed]A lot of the previously mentioned is good. If you like blood and guts, but still a very good story line, you MUST see [B]Elfen Lied[/B]. Otherwise, the one thing i could probably watch over and over, and rarely get bored of is [B]FLCL[/B]. I watched it 4 times through just this weekend, but i also just got it. Another good gory anime would be [B]Hellsing[/B].

As for [B]Evangelion[/B], i thought the movie was good, though i don't know why so many people didn't like the last two episodes of the series. They actually gave a deffinate conclusion, unlike the movie, where i wasn't sure whether it was a happy ending, a sad ending, or what had even really happened. I'm not saying it was bad, when i watch the series, depending on my mood, i'll watch the episodes or the movie (or both). I think both forms of endings were just fine. If your going to get Evangelion though, don't waste your money on Death & Rebirth. All it is is clips from the show and EoE. If you own those (which you should) there's no need for D&R.[/COLOR]

If I could keep only one series for the rest of my life, I'd probably pick [b]Revolutionary Girl Utena[/b] (or maybe even [b]Fafner[/b]). But assuming that the list you put in your original post is a list of anime you've seen and liked, my recommendations would be much broader; while I hesitate to call any one anime a must-see series, here are a couple you might want to try.

Fruits Basket
Twelve Kingdoms
Scrapped Princess
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Vision of Escaflowne
Brigadoon
RahXephon
Last Exile
Kaleido Star
His & Her Circumstances
X TV [not the movie!]

That aside... since you've already watched Wolf's Rain and Fullmetal Alchemist, I think the best thing you could do is go out and buy/rent/borrow all of the other BONES anime you can get your hands on. Pretty much everything Studio BONES touches turns to gold. Their other works include [b]RahXephon[/b] and [b]Scrapped Princess[/b] (both of which are mentioned above), as well as upcoming titles like [b]The Mars Daybreak[/b] and [b]Phantom Memory Kurau[/b]. All of these series have high-quality visuals and are quite entertaining.

[b]boxybrown305[/b]: I really need to get around to watching End of Evangelion, heh. At the same time, I'm afraid to watch it--I [i]loved[/i] the final episode of the series, and I'm almost worried that seeing the movie might ruin the feeling the series left me with.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]If I could keep only one series for the rest of my life, I'd probably pick [b]Revolutionary Girl Utena[/b] (or maybe even [b]Fafner[/b]). But assuming that the list you put in your original post is a list of anime you've seen and liked, my recommendations would be much broader; while I hesitate to call any one anime a must-see series, here are a couple you might want to try.

Fruits Basket
Twelve Kingdoms
Scrapped Princess
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Vision of Escaflowne
Brigadoon
RahXephon
Last Exile
Kaleido Star
His & Her Circumstances
X TV [not the movie!]

That aside... since you've already watched Wolf's Rain and Fullmetal Alchemist, I think the best thing you could do is go out and buy/rent/borrow all of the other BONES anime you can get your hands on. Pretty much everything Studio BONES touches turns to gold. Their other works include [b]RahXephon[/b] and [b]Scrapped Princess[/b] (both of which are mentioned above), as well as upcoming titles like [b]The Mars Daybreak[/b] and [b]Phantom Memory Kurau[/b]. All of these series have high-quality visuals and are quite entertaining.

[b]boxybrown305[/b]: I really need to get around to watching End of Evangelion, heh. At the same time, I'm afraid to watch it--I [i]loved[/i] the final episode of the series, and I'm almost worried that seeing the movie might ruin the feeling the series left me with.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Never could get my hands on the last couple of eps of utena, still bothers me I don't know the end!!! Thanks to all of you who have replied thus far, I will take all these into consideration, ok you know as well as I do I will WATCH them!

If I had to pick only one anime for the rest of my life it would probably be Tenchi Muyo( they would have to update it and create new episodes though) I just love Washu:

Sit back and listen to this song that I'm singing
Proton Proton
Science is better than love could ever be!

I just love that song and I could really create a cool character for myself. But If I can't pick it I would easily go for Fruits Basket I know its sad but is life, it relates. Or maybe Kanon (the storyline is the most sad of all anime) :animecry:

One anime for the rest of my life? Well, that just sounds painful! However, if this only applies to series and not movies (I could honestly never chose 1 Ghibli movie over all of the rest), I might say Fruits Basket. Furuba is the type of show I like to call "survival anime". It's not the best directed anime series (that title would go to Samurai Champloo), or the most well-written (definately Paranoia Agent in that case), or the funniest (Azumanga Daioh takes that award), or the most dramatic (tougher call on that one, but I'd say Fullmetal Alchemist). However, it has a simple and uplifting story with good characters that makes you feel good every time you watch it. It has a bit of everything in it. While I'll admit it isn't my favorite anime of all time, it might very well be the highest quality as a whole and is the type of anime that keeps you enjoyed the whole time.

Of course, if Furuba's 2nd season isn't exactly considered anime and thus gets by on a loophole, it becomes a much tougher race between Champloo and Fullmetal.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]It would kill me to have to choose one series but I think I'd be either Neon Genesis Evangelion or Cowboy Bebop.[/COLOR]

If you like a bit of comedy, a bit of action, well developed characters and a good story line the [B]Cowboy Bebop [/B] is a good series to watch. It's a group of bounty hunters travelling around the solar system trying to make some money. There are some ongoing story lines that resurface now and again and it has a definate ending.

You may also like [B]Trigun[/B]. There is a fair bit of fighting, kind of 'old west' style but there's also a very peaceful message being portrayed. It's hard to describe what it's about without giving away important story information. I would say it's about 2 girls who work for an insurance company and are trying to stop the 'humanoid typhoon' from creating further havoc. It's quite funny and sweet in parts.

[B]Evangelion [/B] has been described in good detail by others. It is going to be something you either love or hate - but try and get through the whole series before you decide!

[B][I]Dagger [/B][/I] - you should watch End of Evangelion. I also loved the end of the series and the movie just enhanced the feeling rather than ruin it!

watch over and over...and over...and still not understand it...and still yearn to throw a remote at the tv because i dont get it...and laugh at it...and im rambling...FLCL

a good show just to get that warm, fuzzy feeling in you, i would say Fruits basket.

a couple sad ones would be Elfen Lied and Saikano, ive seen both now, and Elfen Lied has a much better overall story(and much nudity/violence, underage warning, lol) i kept tellin myself 'dont let that happen, dont let that happen, oh no, no no no...'...it happned

overall...umm...umm...i think .hack//SIGN is my favorite. its a show taht makes u think. if you want to, anyways, lol

I would choose Yu Yu Hakusho. Although I do believe there are much better anime's out there, I havn't really connected to one like I've done this one. I loved the characters and the series is incredibly long, offering plenty of diversity and lots of interest. Its sort of "common" I guess you might say, for people to like YYH, since it was pretty big on CN, but I find much more deep then most do.

[quote name='x kakashi x']I would choose Yu Yu Hakusho. Although I do believe there are much better anime's out there, I havn't really connected to one like I've done this one. I loved the characters and the series is incredibly long, offering plenty of diversity and lots of interest. Its sort of "common" I guess you might say, for people to like YYH, since it was pretty big on CN, but I find much more deep then most do.[/quote]

I really did love Yu Yu until the last 10 or so eps. The ending was such a let down for me, I mean after you watch it that long you expect something great! :animedepr

[QUOTE=Twilight_Kioku]watch over and over...and over...and still not understand it...and still yearn to throw a remote at the tv because i dont get it...and laugh at it...and im rambling...FLCL

a good show just to get that warm, fuzzy feeling in you, i would say Fruits basket.

a couple sad ones would be Elfen Lied and Saikano, ive seen both now, and Elfen Lied has a much better overall story(and much nudity/violence, underage warning, lol) i kept tellin myself 'dont let that happen, dont let that happen, oh no, no no no...'...it happned

overall...umm...umm...i think .hack//SIGN is my favorite. its a show taht makes u think. if you want to, anyways, lol[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about FLCL, I've watched it ever time it comes on and I'm STILL wandering WTF??? So if anyone who reads this knows why don't you share with me! I've seen .hack I don't know if I could watch it more than a couple of times, though because I start to think about it too much, and then my brain just hurts! :(

um..that's really hard :animeswea . If I had to choose top two it'd have to be Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist. But if I just had to choose one i'd go with [b]Trigun[/b] Because I just like it's artwork, charachters and plot. (plus there's more volumes to read for the rest of my life ;) ;) )

Easily Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO). It's by far probably the most spectacular anime I have watched out of the 50 or so anime series I have seen so far. It has everything you can ask for from comedy to romance (in some weird cases). Every character you can almost always relate to and since a movie is coming out soon (being released in July I believe) and makes me think a GTO 2 could possibly be in the mist.

[b]Also Dagger [/b]where did you get Revolutionary Girl Utena from. I've been looking all over in Best Buy, Sam Goody, and other known places that sell anime and couldn't find it anywhere. I was just wondering if you bought it off of Amazon or got it from a store or not since you've been mentioning the series a lot and it does sound interesting.

[quote name='pbfrontmanvdp][b]Also Dagger [/b']where did you get Revolutionary Girl Utena from. I've been looking all over in Best Buy, Sam Goody, and other known places that sell anime and couldn't find it anywhere. I was just wondering if you bought it off of Amazon or got it from a store or not since you've been mentioning the series a lot and it does sound interesting.[/quote]
I acquired the series piecemeal when I found it heavily discounted at a few different online stores (if I remember rightly, I ordered most of the first & second seasons during a Best Buy sale, and I got the box set of the third season when it was a TRSI weekly special). It's a relatively old show, both in terms of when it was made and when the North American DVDs came out, so it's not too surprising that you wouldn't be able to find it in brick-and-mortar stores.

Much as I love to proselytize about Utena, it's more of a cult favorite than something with real mainstream appeal. Interestingly, it gets lumped together with Evangelion a lot--the two shows came out around the same time, and in a certain sense Utena did for shoujo when Evangelion did for mecha. Rather than being completely fresh & new, it synthesizes elements from a bunch of older series in an original and compelling way. In that sense it could also be compared to Escaflowne, although in reality they have little in common.

The decidedly un-flashy animation and the seeming girliness of the story could be strong turn-offs, but if you like headache-inducing symbolism, bizarre sexual metaphors and tongue-in-cheek weirdness, Utena has no equals (it also has an awesome plot and great character development). Unfortunately the show's darker, more abstract elements don't fully kick in until season two.

Melody of Oblivion, an upcoming sci-fi/adventure anime, was obviously inspired by Utena and closely adheres to Utena's type of visual symbolism. It might be cheaper to rent or buy the first volume of that series; if you find its style appealing, you would probably also enjoy Utena.

~Dagger~

Well whenever I'm telling someone about anime I stick to Inuyasha. ^_^ As always it is my fave so I'm going to stick by it.So far I have the 1st tow boxset and some dvds here and there.I have watched the boxsets over and over I love the story that much.You want a anime with a good story you want it to be long if your going to watch it over and over right.Well this is a good one right here.It does have fighting hm and blood but not all the much.Lets see another good anime peacemaker!Now thats a good anime fighting blood all that good stuff.Its not that long I think 26 or something shows.But, not the less very good thing Kenshin.But this anime is based on real people and a real clan.