OtakuBoards

If you were to go to Japan...

Koru-dono

If I were to go to Japan the very first thing I would do (besides all the "legal" stuff like go though customs and get my bags) would be find my friends and/or family whom I will be bumming a room from! Then travel to their home and sleep!! :sleep:

Besides visiting friends and family I would probably do all the typical touristy things like watching a taping of a television show at NHK, go to the gift shop and buy a giant Domokun plushie and then eat some tasty food!

Speaking of miso, miso is the bean soup base itself. Some of my favorites to make are miso with nasubi (eggplant), daikon (radish), spinach, bean sprouts and the classic tofu!! For me miso is comfort food and is one of my favorite things to eat. Yummy!

In addition to eating tasty foods I would definitely love to go to Shibuya and take my picture by the statue of Hachiko! Everytime I think about that story it makes me tear up. Hachiko is an Akita who use to follow his master to work everyday. Hachi would wait everday at the station for his owner to finish work and they would make the trip home. One day the owner became sick at work and died. Hachi, who was only 2 years old at the time waited every day -- for 10 years -- for his owner to return. People at the station started to care for Hachi and when he died they put a bronze statue up to dedicate this dogs unwavering faithfulness and loyality to his owner. Poor Hachi died in the spot which was the last place he saw his owner. :animecry:

Oh now I am all sad. I would then go take picture of all the Shibuya kids and their wacky clothes. That would definitely cheer me up.

I am sure my schedule would be mostly filled with visiting friends and family which is nice since when you visit someone's home they always feed you! I might be able to survive the entire trip without having to buy my own food!! :animesmil

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a nice appartment in Osaka and one of those cool Japanese cars (OK, it'll be nearly 4 years until I can drive, but it's not as if my family will be able to afford a flight to Japan much earlier than then), because I'd be staying. From having learned quite a bit about Japanese culture from anime, conventions, Animerica/Newtype columns, and several books, I honestly think that I'd fit in better in Japan than in America. The general attitude seems a bit more fun and exotic than that of American culture (and honestly, there is no such thing as true American culture, given that America's mainstream culture is basically just the cultures of a bunch of European nations mixed up together into one big supernation and actual Native Americans account for hardly any of the population). Plus most Asian girls are more attractive than most American girls. And you don't even have to go to a convention to get all of those cool pop culture and anime goods.

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Well I have one specific thing in mind. I've always been a big fan of samurais and their culture and I've always wanted a real katana. I figure where better to go than Japan where it originated. So, probably the first thing I'd do when I got there would be to start my hunt for a sword maker that could hand make me a sword. I really think it would be awesome to have a hand made sword from Japan ^_^[/color][/font]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][QUOTE]Originally Posted by [B]IceRose[/B]
If anyone is to stalk Gackt can I go too?[/QUOTE][COLOR=Navy]Sure :p ...my friends and I are going in the summer of '07, the year we graduate. But I would go this Christmas, because he's holding a concert at Tokyodome that I would love to go to![/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I don't know what I would do if I visited Japan. I want to visit, sure, just because back when I was kid into anime the culture fascninated me to the extent where I would like to see many of the references first hand so I could actually try and get the full meaning, but yeah. I would hate to feel inferior, like some "tourist," which is all I would be. Poor blondes.[/color][/size]

• 4 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Lord Dante]after legal, i'd buy myself a katana, and get a crash corse in Iaiato (quick draw sword).

then drink myself sick in a bar somewhere.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Indigo]You need to be 21 to legaly buy a sword right? WRONG. I'm 19, and two years ago, I could've bought a sword. Probably not legal, but you wont get arrested for having it, and it won't get confiscated.

And drinking would be fun. I'd do it in the Red Light District (legalized prostitution).[/COLOR]

[color=deepskyblue]Rent an apartment, find a nice young woman and settle down, then go work for, oh I dunno, RE Amemiya, or TOM'S. THEN go out with the missus for some hot sake. I like the Sawanotsuru brand (though it's the only one I've tried, but that's just me I suppose, going with what I'm familiar with...!).

lol...[/color]

[QUOTE=Koru-dono][SIZE=3]So, If you were to go to Japan, what would you do first thing??[/SIZE]

I know what I'd do...

GO GET SOME HOT SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Im with you on that one! But before that i'll have to go find hot japanese guys to drink the sake with! YAH BABY!!!!!(just kidding) But I would really love to go have some sake
then eat until I pass out on the ground. After when I wake up I will go look at some anime, shop for kimono's and eat some more! :catgirl:

[QUOTE=randalion]Im with you on that one! But before that i'll have to go find hot japanese guys to drink the sake with! YAH BABY!!!!!(just kidding) But I would really love to go have some sake
then eat until I pass out on the ground. After when I wake up I will go look at some anime, shop for kimono's and eat some more! :catgirl:[/QUOTE]

WELL, RANDALION, I HAVE A MUCH BETTER IDEA IN MIND. WHILE IN JAPAN I WOULD SURELY HAVE SOME SAKI, BUT I KNOW THAT I WOULD BE ABLE TO ENJOY IT MUCH MORE THAN YOU BECAUSE I WOULD HAVE THE PLEASURE OF SHARING IT WITH SIR SIEGERO HIKO...AND THAT IS NOT THE END OF IT, BECAUSE AFTERWARDS HE WOULD SHOW ME SOME OF HIS "HITEN MITSURUGI" IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. BUT I WANT TO KEEP IT RATED PG FOR YOU GUYS, SO I WILL LEAVE IT AT THAT.
:smooch:

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]People are talking about buying katanas... I'm not an expert on Japan, but aren't real katanas like a national treasure or something? So I heard that you're not allowed to take them out of the country. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I'd like to try fugu (blowfish), and I know this sounds corny, but it would be so cool to pretend to be a geisha for a day or two. Quite the experience. I think I'd also want to visit the tea fields.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[size=1][color=slategray]Be asked to leave whatever store I was in. It happens in America, I'm just assuming it'll happen there, too.
Then I'd get lost. Seriously, I got lost in a Toys R Us once, I don't think I'd do well in Japan with all those people.[/color][/size]

ZUZU3276, [b]please[/b] refrain from using all caps. Thanks.

Well... as it happens, I'm in Japan right now. I stayed in Tokyo for a night or two and did all of the obligatory stuff--Tokyo Tower (which has one of the most unintentionally hilarious mascots I've ever seen, but that's another story), various temples and gardens, the Tokyo Dome, etc. I also spent a little time in Akihabara and Shinjuku; I wanted to go to Harajuku as well, but I didn't have time.

Despite all the talk about groping and whatnot, the Japanese subway system is actually wonderful (especially in comparison to the rather horrid Metro in DC). Buying tickets and getting around is incredibly easy. The stations are well-lit, which made me feel much more safe than I would usually feel in a subway, and at least some of the trains have air conditioning.

Anyway, I've started staying with a family. In a little while I'll begin going to school--which should be interesting, to say the least. I'm kind of in love with my uniform, haha.

The only thing I had really wanted to do in Japan was buy an R2 DVD player, and I did that in Akihabara. So now I'm just going to enjoy everyday life here, and hopefully improve my language skills a bit. :catgirl:

~Dagger~

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple][QUOTE]the Japanese subway system is actually wonderful (especially in comparison to the rather horrid Metro in DC). Buying tickets and getting around is incredibly easy. The stations are well-lit, which made me feel much more safe than I would usually feel in a subway, and at least some of the trains have air conditioning.[/QUOTE]Not to mention, the subway system is [I]always[/I] on time. Seriously, if you try to use the subway as an excuse for being late to work in the morning, they won't believe you, because it's so rarely off schedule. When the subway is late, it'll actually print out like a receipt for you to take to work, as proof that it was really off schedule. I just found that kind of interesting..[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'd go to kyoto dressed up as a ninja and randomly challange people to a battle of ninjistu. Then I'd either A. Get the poo kicked out of me. Or B. Beat them with my real(keyward) martial arts skills(i love TKD) and then go celebrate by drinking hot sake and buying manga! ^_^

[quote name='Lix][size=1][color=slategray]Then I'd get lost. Seriously, I got lost in a Toys R Us once, I don't think I'd do well in Japan with all those people.[/color'][/size][/quote]

:animestun That reminds me of that time that some kids got locked in there during one Easter weekend a few years back. They had to survive on easter eggs.

Well, if I went to Japan I'd probably go to my hotel and sleep. Then, I'd act all touristy and take pictures and buy tacky shirts to give to my relatives. :animesmil I would get that out of the way first, so I wouldn't forget or have to spend my last dollars on their stuff. But, of course I'd buy stuff that I couldn't get for a good price in Canada.

• 2 weeks later...
Well if i was to go to Japan i would go see a Martial Arts tournment that would be really cool. Then after that go out to eat some Japanese food i love Japanese food. Then go to an arcade and i wouldn't mind watching a DDR tourney those Japanese are crazy but unfournately i'm terrible at it.

Well, the first that I did when my family went to Tokyo (besides check in to the hotel, getting off the plane and such.) was buy a local gaming magazine and see all the cool game consoles. It was pretty awesome!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Okay I'd get this cowsuit and put it on and walk around in it passing out milk and cupcakes and then I would run into the street and scream out ich Liebe due which is german fer "I love you" and then i'd run into the book store and buy manga I can't even read.

Yes I've planned ahead.

Ps- I am not german[/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue]Well first, I'd get something to eat, like ramen noodles, or somthing. Then, I'd try to go to Tokyo and find an old classmate of mine who was visting from Japan. Next, go to the Bandai Museam. They got alot of cool stuff in there, from Ultraman costumes, to props from Godzilla movies. One whole part of the place in deicated to Gundam. It's a mock museam in the year 0092, with exsbits from uniforms, Zaku gun shells, a timeline, and a ruined Zaku head. There is even a life size Gundam there. You can ride it's hand as an elevator. Up stairs is a bar, and a gift shop.
I hear that they love americans down there. A freind of mine who's a marine lived in Japan for a year with his wife, and two little boys. He said that everyone there was super freindly. But get this. His two little boys always got alot of attention, because their blondes. He told me that people were always taking their pictures, and wanting to touch their hair. He even said that once a bunch of Japanese schoolgirls flocked over to them, and started gushing over them. Lucky. :)
A another freind of mine spent the summer there last year. She didn't get to see Tokyo or anything. But she still had a good time, and she discovered Naruto.

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]