OtakuBoards

If you were to go to Japan...

Koru-dono

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd eat me some of that awesome Japanese soup (the name of which escapes me) that the exchange students at our college make sometimes...

Then I would go check out a Japanese garden. I hear they are spectacular.

I would maybe buy some Manga at a gas station or something, but I don't think I'd spend a significant portion of my stay on Anime stuff... if I saw a shop, I would of course stop in it, but there's so much more to Japan than Anime...

Well...I actually would go get some sake..but after that I'd go[SIZE=3] flower gazing!![/SIZE]And go drink it under a tree and hope that a flower pettal drops into it!!!(that is supposed to be really good luck!)

[quote name='Xander Harris']I'd eat me some of that awesome Japanese soup (the name of which escapes me) that the exchange students at our college make sometimes...[/quote]

[COLOR=Navy]Are you thinking of Miso soup? Anyways, I'd try to find a place to stay. As soon as I get that settled, I look for food. I'd try pretty much everything but octopus and squid. I would just be running to anything that caught my eye...whether it'd be a store, shrine, or temple.[/COLOR]

I am going to Japan in 8 weeks (yay!) :D
and the first thing I have [B]planned [/B] to do (other than passport, food etc etc) is see the Studio Ghibli museum.

However that is happening on the 4th day I'm there so the first thing I'm [B]going [/B] to do is visit a tourist information place and pick up a museum book. Apparently they give you discount vouchers for lots of museums. Then I'm going to find the closest museum and start seeing things :)

If I were to go to Japan, I would most likely visit the places that people would most likely never dream of going to. Like Kyoto and other cities that are not as popular as Tokyo, there I would get to visit more historical facts and shrines that reflect Japan's past and culture customs. I think learning about the country's history seems interesting (ok not I sound as boring as a history teacher) that doesn't mean I wouldn't go to Tokyo, of course not for manga. (Hey its in Japanese, I can't read that stuff!) I would go for the fashion of course! You know Tokyo is the fashion capital of the world? Well suprisingly it is. So much for Paris. Looking at designer clothing would be awesome. Hey I can dream can't I?

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Two words: Gothic lolita.

I'd like to see some of them for real, I think that fashion style is really quite inventive and awesome. All the lace, and stockings, and skirts and yuuuuum. Ahem.

Akihibara as a second choice for things to do after the obvious, lol. [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Pumpkin']If I were to go to Japan, I would most likely visit the places that people would most likely never dream of going to. Like Kyoto[/quote]

Kyoto has just as many foreigners walking about it as Tokyo does. Kiyomizudera is probably Japan's biggest tourist attraction, except for maybe Miyajima and the torii there. Anyway, Kyoto is probably a bigger destination for Tokyo for travellers.

[color=DarkGreen][size=1]I have a horrible feeling I'd starve if I went to Japan. I'm a pretty picky eater, and while I think I'd at least be able to manage ramen, I'd have to be careful, because I have a fairly violent allergy to MSG (monosodium glutemate) which is present in a lot of Oriental food. More in Chinese than Japanese food, but I'd still have to be careful.

The first thing I'd [i]do[/i] in Japan, after getting out of the airport which I consider to be neutral territory and not actually part of the country, would probably be to make an idiot out of myself trying to speak Japanese to someone, in order to get directions to my motel or hostel or whatever.

[i]Uhh ... watashi wa ... erm ... you know, hotel ... ikimasu ...

[/i]And you can bet it'll turn out they speak better English than I do.
[/size][/color]

I would first off, go to a shrine and pay my respects to the Gods and purify myself. Then go to a restaurant and eat as much sushi as possible and then go to at least 10 different manga stands and buy as much anime as possible

First, I would get off the boat and walk down the street to the house of a samurai and subject myself to [B]GRUELING YEARS OF APPRENTICESHIP[/B] in order to become a warrior who will someday use his [B]ULTRA SUPER-POWERS[/B] to [B]SAVE THE WORLD[/B].

[B]AND BECOME THE STAR OF MY OWN ANIME SHOW.[/B]

[/sarcasm]

[quote name='Japan][COLOR=Navy']Are you thinking of Miso soup? Anyways, I'd try to find a place to stay. As soon as I get that settled, I look for food. I'd try pretty much everything but octopus and squid. I would just be running to anything that caught my eye...whether it'd be a store, shrine, or temple.[/COLOR][/quote]

Maybe Miso is what I'm thinking of... can you describe what's in it??

I think I would like to see some shrines/temples, but it is my understanding that most Japanese today don't really believe in religion... still, it's an important part of the nation's history...

I guess I would also like to check out the beach... a Japanese lady I know talks quite fondly of her memories of the Japanese beaches...

[QUOTE=Your Mother]First, I would get off the boat and walk down the street to the house of a samurai and subject myself to [B]GRUELING YEARS OF APPRENTICESHIP[/B] in order to become a warrior who will someday use his [B]ULTRA SUPER-POWERS[/B] to [B]SAVE THE WORLD[/B].

[B]AND BECOME THE STAR OF MY OWN ANIME SHOW.[/B]

[/sarcasm][/QUOTE][font=trebuchet ms]*giggles*

And I shall be the Shy Yet Attractive Girl Who Lives Next Door and constantly provides for Embarassing (But Strangely Cute) Awkward Situations!

Ahem.

It's never occurred to me to visit Japan, actually. Although of the options presented, I think wrist cutter's got it nailed down pretty well. If I were to go, I'd probably just do the tourist bit. Go shopping some place, get a couple T-shirts and send postcards to people. Buy stickers. You know, the usual.[/font]

[COLOR=#95005E][SIZE=1][QUOTE=Aiyisha][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Two words: Gothic lolita.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]Yeah, and I'll probably get some black lipstick. Yep, that would be a mighty fine addition to my makeup collection.

If I were to go to Japan, it's because of a scholarship program. Now that I think of it, it's Japanese schoollife that interests me the most. And I would just *love* to wear short skirts and tube socks! But I guess I'm too old for that. Feh.

I'd like to wander about Gion and look at them souvenir shops. Blame it on Arthur Golden.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Palatino Linotype]I would stalk Gackt!

No, I'm kidding, but I think I'd really go and see Tokyo Tower. It would seem like fun...what else could I do? Go out and party or something. Tokyo Nightlife seems to be really cool. Go to a sushi bar...yum. :p

I've gotta really start thinking about what I'm gonna do because my friends and I are planning to do this after we graduate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Xander Harris']Maybe Miso is what I'm thinking of... can you describe what's in it??[/quote]

[COLOR=Navy]Nori, bean paste dissolved in water, tofu...that's all that I can remember off the top of my head.

When I go to Japan, I'd also want to buy Ramune soda, and gyoza a plenty.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Japan']Nori, bean paste dissolved in water, tofu...that's all that I can remember off the top of my head. [/quote]

You can put anything in miso soup, I believe. It can be really fancy or really plain. Tofu isn't required for it to count as "miso soup" though it is often there, if I recall correctly. I'm no expert on Japanese food though, considering I can't stand most of it. They do have miso soup with pretty much every meal seemingly though.

[size=1]shopshopshopshopshopshopshopshopshopshopshopshopshopshopshopshopshopshop !!

Hell yes. And since I hate seeing someone wearing the same thing as me at school and around town, I love shopping overseas. Japan is the better fabric outthere fashion mecca version of Korea. Which is the equvilent to heaven.

Lucky I'm already officially booked to go there summer of '07. =]

And I know how to speak basic Japanese, along with 'I don't know how to speak [insertlanguagehere]' in many other languages. ._.;
[/size]