OtakuBoards

Irritating Acne

Your Mother

[SIZE=1]Ok, I have HAD IT with my facial skin. Such absolute crap. Zits spring up all over my face no matter WHAT I TRY. I've used everything from oily skin cleanser to pure lemon juice to benzoyl peroxide to VINEGAR and I'm STILL not getting any results. Ugly blackheads. Ugly pimples. I have really oily skin and no matter what I try I can't keep my face from looking like absolute ****. I exercise. I eat well. What the hell is the problem?[/SIZE]

[size=1]*sighs* Morpheus, it won't help it permanently. Acne and pimples are a product of stress or not clean skin - have you tried just washing your face with regular soap and warm water, daily? That helps. Other than that, you could try those cloth things, the ones with medicine in them especially for acne; or, if you are a girl, you could always use those Clean&Clear things, the make-up sticks that hide your acne while simultaniously clearing your pores and making the acne go away. I know, I've used it. :)[/size]

I know, but being an adolescent has a lot to do with this. D is right, wash your face 1 or 2 times a day, but no more than 2 or 3. It will dry out your face and make things worse.

What you eat means absolutely nothing.

Then there's tea-tree oil, zink paste, and my mom (who's a certified Dermatologist) recommends [B]Dermalogica[/B]'s products.

Like others have said, though, visit a Dermatologist or a proper beauty salon. They'll be able to help you out=)

Yea well i've had bad acne for a while now and also tried a bunch of stuff that didnt help. Proactiv didnt work at all and i was on that for over a year. But if your acne is moderate it might work. I went to the dermatologist and he said that my acne was too bad that the pills wouldnt help. But he said to try [B]Accutane[/B] , but when i looked at the side effects of accutane, it was not worth it, like depression and extreme dryness of your body. So I didnt do it but, its up to you. The doctor said the depression was rare, but dryness was sure to happen. You can get retin a micro, which kind of helped, but you have to go to dermatologist to get. Other than that just wash your face and keep it moisturized, which helps more than you think.

[quote name='Tri-my-Gun] But he said to try [B]Accutane[/B'] , but when i looked at the side effects of accutane, it was not worth it, like depression and extreme dryness of your body.[/quote]

[color=green]I used Accutane, and I never had any problems with it; the acne I had (moderate) was cleared up within six months. I'm now off of it, and it hasn't come back after three months.

Accutane has had a lot of hype over allegations that users experience depression, but my doctor told me that no study has ever confirmed it. However, it can do damage to your liver and cause nasty birth defects. A blood test is required every month to check that your liver is ok.

I never had any problem with it. Assuming you have health insurance, since it is expensive, I'd give it a try.[/color]

eating has alot to do with it. high amounts of sugar and cocoa products can have an adverse effect, check your healthfood store for Wellchild products, adjust your vitamin intake. too much or too little can be a bad thing,

[color=#9933ff]It's not proven that what you eat has any effect on acne. It depends on who you ask, though a doctor will tell you the first sentence that I just wrote.

See a dermatologist if you can't get rid of your acne. I think health insurance should cover it to some extent (okay, it is cosmetic, but I really do think it's partially covered under most plans).

Pills won't kill you (Unless you're on Accutane and it makes you depressed) - I promise. I've been on a low dose antibiotic for my acne (generic - called "Minocyclene") for over a year, and while it doesn't clear every single bit of it, it does help a lot.

I also use topical medications prescribed by my dermatologist, too. It helps a lot. I've used Tretinoin, plexion (creams), Triaz, and Clindamycin (wipes/pads) and they all help.

Talk to you dermatologist - there's no reason to suffer![/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff']It's not proven that what you eat has any effect on acne. It depends on who you ask, though a doctor will tell you the first sentence that I just wrote.[/color][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR="#990033"]Really? I heard if you eat greasy foods, like fast foods you break out. I know my friend says he does. I'm lucky for I don't have acne too often but what I use is [b]Plexion[/b]. It pretty much clears up everything within two or three days of using it. Also, when using a cream, it can dry up your skin A LOT. So buy some dry skin cream. You can use the cheap stuff, I got mine at like wallmart. I recommend [b]Pond's Dry Skin cream[/b], it always make my skin soft and smooth. For girls, I recommend always taking off your make-up or coverup before going to bed, as thats what causes a lot of your acne if you don't. I also recommend seeing a dermatologist, and if that one isn't helping you, go see another one. I've had to switch twice and finally found something that works pretty well.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#9933ff]Yeah. I swear, dermatologists will tell you food has nothing to do with it, although it has not been proven either way.

I remember - plexion used to make my face a little dry, but not too bad. I didn't like it because it smelled - meh. ><

Speaking of make up, when you go shopping for important things like foundation, MAKE SURE IT WON'T MAKE YOU BREAK OUT. Personally, I've only used 3 brands of foundation in my entire life: Neutrogena (which is actually supposed to reduce your acne), Shiseido (which specifically says it won't cause break outs, and it doesn't), and Bobbi Brown (which I'm using right now. I don't know if it causes breakouts), but do make sure you read the label. And just so you know, Bobbi brown foundation can be a little oily, so it might not feel that great to you on your skin.[/color]

[font=Comic Sans MS][b]I know for a fact that vitamin deficiency can cause terrible breakouts and generally unattractive skin.

Try a good multivitamin and drink lots of water.

And if you take drugs, quit--cuz those can cause severe skin problems as well. (Not implying that you do, of course-- just listing another factor in skin problems :animeswea )

Good luck!
[/b][/font]

I've had problems with acne myself. I went to a dermatologist and she told me what I eat has nothing to do with it. Though she did say vitamin deficiency can contribute to the problem, so I'd do what elfpirate said and be sure to take a multi-vitiamin.

Anyway, my doctor gave me a solution that you put on your face twice a day (Erythomycin Topical Solution USP. 2%) It works really, really good. And the best part is a regular doctor can prescribe it so you don't have to keep going to the dermatologist. And even better if you don't have insurance, the solution is less than $20 without insurance. And it usually lasts me about 2 months.

Also what others have said about washing your face is good too. In order to use this solution you have to wash your face first. Either way, good luck!

[COLOR=blue]It seems counter-intuitive to say that what you eat has nothing to do with it, and then prescribe oral medication...

But I really don't know. IMO, what you eat probably does have some influence (however little), but maybe a bad diet is not the primary cause of most acne cases. Everyone - and every acne case - is different, so what works for one person might not work for another. Whatever the case, you'll probably go through several things before you find the right treatment for you.

Personally, I just waited the acne out. After puberty, all zits pretty much left, thank God.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]If I recall, my father used to tell me that eating large amounts of potato chips will cause your face to oil at a severely increased rate. I don't even recall him backing it up with evidence...but it did explain alot of my problems. ;)

Anyways, everyone has to deal with acne at one point or another in their life. All I can say is take care of it while you can, as I didn't and I ended up with some unfortunate scars.[/COLOR]

[size=1]I've bypassed all the posts in this thread; so please forgive me if I merely regurgitate what others have said.

To a degree, you're probably just at an age where oily skin is natural and to be expected. You [b]will[/b] have pimples, and thats that. What you can do [and obviously have been trying to do] is minimise the effects. I recommend Tea-Tree oil applied once daily on the oily spots to dry your sikin some. Exercising and eating healthy is a must, as is washing your hair. Greasy hair + forehead= pimples. Think about it.

In extreme cases, I recommend changing your pillow case every few nights too. Basically, minimise dirty contact with your face, be it from your hands, hair or pillow-case, or whatever else may effect it. Try things that help to dry your skin, and wash your face regularly. Cut back on any junk-food or chocolate, and try to avoid stress.[/size]

[quote name='Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f']I'm surprised that no one's mentioned ProActive yet, the ads show it has really good results.[/COLOR][/quote]

Yeah they do have good results, but it's too expensive. I got the same results from something that was generally the same thing called Acne-Free and it was a lot cheaper.

[COLOR=#004a6f][quote name='Tri-my-Gun']I did say something about proactiv, and for me it didnt work at all. I was on it for over a year. But I had kind of bad acne, if you had moderate acne, it might work. But it is pretty expensive.[/quote]Oh, I tried to check if someone mentioned it by using find. Heh, I spelled it wrong though.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f']I'm surprised that no one's mentioned ProActive yet, the ads show it has really good results.[/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I used to use it, and I do admit, it works very well. But yes, as stated, it is too costly to buy on an annual basis. Unless you can really afford it, there are cheaper alternatives that work just as good. :D[/COLOR]