OtakuBoards

Graphics Club

Retribution

[SIZE=1]Alright. [B]Time for the updates![/B]

[B]Battle Update! [Sean v Kitty][/B] Ten hours, thirty minutes ago, the voting closed. Therefore I'm pleased to announce Sean the victor of this battle! Good job to you both of you on a job well done. This was the closest battle in Club history to date. Feel proud.

[B]Update 2[/b] I have edited the first post in this thread to include battle records for those who have fought through the club. Therefore Sun and I's bouts will not be there.[/SIZE]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Hey everybody. Bet you guys haven't heard from me in awhile.

Well i'm sorry that i vanished for a week. I've been so busy with Summer things that i hardly ever have time to post. And since i have to leave soon i'll give you guys a quick update on the moderator situation. Well since i haven't had time to really update, Retri and I decided that [B]Hack Helba[/B] will be joining us as a [B]moderator[/B].

I give my thanks to Hacky for applying to help Retri and I out since i have been so damn busy.

That's it for the update.
[I]Sun[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Hey, Ceres. We don't have a graphics team to try out for, and if you want to be a member of the club, send me an e-mail. In the letter, tell me why you want to be a member of the club, and if I think your reasons are legit, you'll be in. Don't worry -- I'm not too harsh. Also tell me if you want to be eligible for battling other members of the club.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Well, I'm happy everyone is interested about joining, but remember to send in your detalied application you got to PM or E-mail Retri. I just wanted to make that clear because i just don't want this thread to be messy.

That's it for that very small update,

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][quote name='Rising Sun][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Well, I'm happy everyone is interested about joining, but remember to send in your detalied application you got to PM or E-mail Retri. I just wanted to make that clear because i just don't want this thread to be messy.[I]Sun[/I][/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=2]I agree. Spam is evil and we'll do our best to avoid causing any.

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=4][B][FONT=tahoma]Attention all who wish to join the Graphics club![/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Retirbution will be leaving us for a week (I've just been informed he'll leave on Sunday) for camp so for anyone who is still interested in joining the club all applications must be sent to me until Retribution returns. You can find my e-mail adress in my profile and I check it on a regular basis, or you can send me a PM telling me why you wish to join and I will get back to you. That concludes our update.

Have fun at camp Retri.

[B]Edit : [/B]I'd also like to add that I am up for any battle challenges and I'd also like to encourage other members to arrange GFX battles of there own. That's something we'd like to see come from our members, so we hope to begin seeing more of it. Remember, It's not about winning it's all about the fun of a challenge and satisfaction of doing your best. We also need support from the members who are not enaged in a battle to do there part and to vote for the member they believe to have done the better job, and to also give out cunstuctive critism. The [B][COLOR=Black]Kitty vs Sean[/COLOR][/B] battle resulted very well and went very smooth so I hope to see more battles as succesful in the future. We'll be looking forward to it.

A list of members willing for GFX battles is in Retribution's opening post to the thread.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=Dragon Warrior]What a tough round to decide. This is after all the last one since Retribution had to ditch. But I must say I had fun with this and can't wait for next year. But without further ado, our Otaku Graphica Champion of 2005 is Hack Helba! Congrats, Hack. Hope you all had fun.

[center][size=4][u][b]Otaku Graphica Hall of Fame[/u][/size]
2005 - Hack Helba
2004 - Hittokiri Zero[/b][/center]

Until next year![/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Yes, it was a wonderful display indeed. The Otaku Graphica was a great success this year. A few people dropped out, including Retri and I, but we still got next year.

Everybody give a round of applause for [B]Hack Helba[/B], the [B]winner[/B] of the 2005 Otaku Graphica. Keep up the great work Hacky!

Alright, i would like to announce to everybody that i will be open for battles since i now have Photoshop. I will try to kick out some more graphics after my hectic summer settles down a bit.

I hope to see some more battles! The Art Forum has been lacking action. And i encourage everyone to take charge and challenge some people.

I hope everyone displays more art work using this thread also. Help keep this community alive.

That's it for the updates,

[SIZE=1]I'm glad to say that I'm back from camp, and I'd like to extend a big thanks to Sun and Hacky for keeping things running. But I'm also kind of bitter at the 05 Graphica, as I had to drop out prematurely and I thought I had a good shot at winning. But gratz to you Hebbeh. Ya make me proud. ^_^[/SIZE]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=2][QUOTE=Rising Sun][COLOR=Red][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]The Art Forum has been lacking action.
[I]Sun[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Yeah, The Art Studio has been pretty bleak this week, but no more!

There's another graphics battle goin' down tomorrow (if things go as planned) I've accepted a challenge from [COLOR=Black][B]Rising Sun[/B][/COLOR] This should be intense, so stay tuned and vote.

[QUOTE=Rising Sun][COLOR=Red][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Everybody give a round of applause for Hack Helba, the winner of the 2005 Otaku Graphica. Keep up the great work Hacky!
[I]Sun[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot. The Graphica was fun and challenging, I great competition. Thank Dragon Warrior for that. I'm so glad I didn't win by a total default. [COLOR=Black] [B]sakurasuka[/B][/COLOR] did a great job, so congrads to her aswell, and to everyone who took a part in the Graphica. Great jobs :).

It's a shame you two of you couldn't fully participate. The more competition, the better, and the more pride I would of had when I won! Mwuaha :p

[QUOTE=Retribution][SIZE=1]
I thought I had a good shot at winning.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Next year Retri... Next year >.> Oh yeah, and welcome back![/SIZE]
[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1]We seem to have encountered a lull in Club activity. [B]Please note that this does not mean that we are dead.[/B]

There is currently a battle between Rising Sun and Hack Helba at [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=48459][b]link[/b][/url]. Please vote, so there is a better idea of whom the Boards prefered more. Thanks!

As for current members, don't be afraid to ask for help in your threads, we will give you ample criticism if you desire it.[/SIZE]

[font=Century Gothic][size=3][color=DarkSlateGray]I've been looking for some tutorials and such, to learn the basics. I have been having some trouble finding some that are... decent. As this shows, I'm totally clueless.

I would like to ask if someone here could point me to a decent tutorial, whether on making graphics, or anything else recommended. I don't care if the tutorial is for Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or some other alternative, I'll find a way to translate it to the program I use.

<_<->_> Just for the record, I am currently using the GIMP. If anyone can offer a better, free alternative... that's legal, I'll be extremely grateful.
[/color][/size][/font]

[SIZE=1]I'll gladly point you in the direction of some tutorials. I'm sure there's [i]something[/i] worthwhile at [B][url]www.pixel2life.com[/url][/B].

Anyway, the club should welcome [B]Squiggles[/B] to the club. Whoo! New member! Help them out with any questions they may have. ^_^

And finally, without further ado, I present to you the [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=48501][B]Last-Man-Standing Graphic Engagement[/B][/url], First (annual? maybe...) Graphics Club tournament! You are allowed to join if you are in the Graphics Club. Have fun!

Rising Sun vs Hack Helba's battle is official over! I'm pleased to announce [B]Hack Helba[/B] the winner of this very intense graphic engagement. Very good show, both combatants. This is what I love to see in graphic battles -- close competition, not some blow-out.

Both your records have been updated. Thanks, again[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][B]A Graphics Battle[/B][/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial]That's right folks, a battle between myself and our good friend Retribution. We've been discussing it yesterday and today. The theme of the battle is [i]life[/i]. It is free-range, size/style can be anything as long as the viewer can see 'life' in it.

Just letting you know, [u][URL=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?p=669968]Retribution vs. Sean[/URL][/u] at an Art Studio near you![/FONT]

[SIZE=1][B]UPDATES![/B]

First of all, let us warmly welcome [B]Deucalion[/B] to the Club! He is eligible for battle, so step up and challenge him! Also, he's written the most in-depth letter thus far, standing at three very sincere paragraphs. Try to top him and you get a cookie! ^_~

Next, [B]Round One of the Last Man Standing Tournament has begun[/B] -- be sure to check it out every now and then for the battles.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Doc][font=Century Gothic][size=3][color=DarkSlateGray]
<_<->_> Just for the record, I am currently using the GIMP. If anyone can offer a better, free alternative... that's legal, I'll be extremely grateful.
[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

There isn't one.

[quote name='Tony'] There isn't one. [/quote]
[font=Century Gothic][size=3][color=Black]Thanks for the clarification. I had a feeling that there weren't any others. I have recieved an alternative... that I'm pleased with.[/color][/size][/font]

[size=1]All right guys, if you're a member of the Graphics Club, I'm rather disappointed that you haven't checked out the [b]Retri vs Sean[/b] battle. Even as much as Retri complains that he didn't like his graphic, it took time and effort to come up with it. And I find it disrespectful and a put down if no one gives a thought into it.

Members outside of the Club, please check it out. Make a vote, possibly? It irritates me that artists aren't getting the feedback (even, and espeically if it's negative) they strive to grow off of.

Get it together GFX members.[/size]

[SIZE=1][B]Update.[/B]

While I was at odds with doing this, I decided I will conclude my battle with Sean, and make it official. The [b]Retribution v. Sean Battle[/b] ended last night at midnight. I won, with the votes at 6 - 1. Very good show to you Sean -- I appreciated your work. I have amended out Battle Records (see the first post for more information) to encompass this battle.

And [B]Dragon Warrior[/B] has joined the Graphics Club as well. Please welcome him warmly with a nice challenge to battle. I'm sure he'd appreciate that.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][b]Breaking News![/b]

[b][1][/b] There is an [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=48847&page=1][b]Official OtakuBoards Graphics Tournament[/b][/url] starting up, and I hope to see everyone from the GFX Club participate in it! It will not only be good practice, but a fun way of sizing up your abilities ? don?t rule yourself out of the running before you even sign-up; half the battle is in the mind. Good luck, and see you on the battlefield.

[b][2][/b] You all may be wondering why you joined the GFX Club. [I]Did I join to get better? We sure aren?t doing anything to accomplish that! Maybe it?s kind of a clique??[/I] You?re right in thinking these things ? I have been lazy with the Club. But I plan to change that shortly.

Starting very soon, I will be holding a GFX Club Class in a separate thread labeled:
[b][u][GFX] Class time[/u][/b]

In this class, I will address questions and concerns expressed to me via PM, and you will have ?class time? to ask questions related to the topic at hand. I think this would be a great way to learn new techniques, and strengthen your weaknesses. Of course, this will be club exclusive, so if you aren?t in the club as now, feel free to sign-up. Further rules and instruction of the Class will be located within the thread.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
Hello! my name is (insert cool nickname here i havent thought of yet) or Jeremy, whichever you prefer. I was interested in joining your club. But I cant find the private message button to click on, so how would I be able to get involved? hahah after I learn how to work this forum, itll be smooth sailing from there! I cant wait!

[size=1]Hey Jeremy, your PM option is on the side bar menu to the left. It's right under the default "Welcome, [member name]" and when you last visited greeting. Just click on that, and it's going to take you to an inbox, where you'll see more options in the side bar menu. That's for that...however, to "apply" to the GFX, you have to e-mail Retribution why you would be interested, and if you'd be up for battling. You can find his e-mail in his profile..and to do that, all you have to do is click on his name to view his profile. ^_^

I hope that helps you out.[/size]

• 4 weeks later...
[CENTER][size=3][b][i]Breaking News![/i][/b][/size][/CENTER]

[size=1]Greetings, Graphics Club Members, as well as the rest of the Studio. I address you all tonight (today, depending on where you are) with very important news. The OtakuBoards Official Graphics Tournament is going to begin either tommorow or sunday. The reasoning for the delay is that the Committee has dissolved without notifying Dagger, and a general lapse in communication.

Dagger will be shouldering the burden of being the Committee by herself. She will allow you [OB Members] to vote on the submissions with several [two, perhaps] paragraphs explaining your vote. However, she will be the official tally, deciding which votes were unfit (did not clarify their position enough).

[QUOTE=OBGT PM]Just wanted to let all of you know that the OBGT is finally going to start. We hit a couple of rough spots and there were some communication problems, but it's been worked out. The main changes you need to be aware of is that there will no longer be a committee; I'm supervising the tournament, but members' votes will determine the outcome of all rounds.

The first round will be staggered. The first five matches (as listed in the bracket image, starting with Butterfly aka Princess Ai vs. Boo) are going up tomorrow. You'll have a period of about three to four days to create an image meeting the parameters specified in your match thread. The voting period will be set in stone once we have a glimpse of how fast or slowly people turn out. Don't worry, though; it'll ultimately be the same for all matches.

I'll explain more details tomorrow when I create the match threads and update the main OBGT topic. Once again, thanks for your patience.

(I never knew one could only send out five copies of the same PM at one time. You learn something new every day, I suppose...)

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

As of now, I believe entries are closed. I'll see you on the battlefield.

[B]As for the rest of Graphics Club:[/B] Please! PM me with ideas of what you might want to discuss as far as art goes. Need help? Have a question? Just a general topic of discussion? [B]Don't be afraid to create a thread with [GFX] in it's title, so we know that it's a Graphics Club discussion.[/B] I only want this Club to help the members, so you get what you put into it. If there's a lack of demand, I'll understand that as well -- but I want to be sure the community doesn't need the help before I withdraw it. Thanks.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1]Hello fellow members. It's been awhile since we've had an update and i'm just going to take some time now to inform everyone about what's going on in the Art Studio.

Well we do have the [B]Official Otakuboards Graphic Tournament[/B] going on right now and it has been a pretty good display so far. No problems yet, except for a bit of delays but Dagger's trying to do her best. She's been working really hard on this and everyone should thank her once you get the chance.

And one thing I would like to add is that I need some help. I want to start getting into Vector art, and if anyone knows any tutorials It will be greatly appreciated. I currently have Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, and I just need to know what other programs I will be needing for Vectoring, and i just need to learn the basics.

Come on everyone let's keep this club alive.

Sun
[/SIZE]