OtakuBoards

Marvel or DC?

kaisha

Marvel or DC?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Marvel or DC?

• Marvel
    • DC

[color=DarkGreen][font=Trebuchet MS]Marvel are [b]way [/b]better than DC. DC's superheroes (Superman and Batman being the ones that come immediately to most people's minds as being representative of the company) are too invincible.

Take Superman. His [b]only [/b]weaknesses are Kryptonite and Lois Lane. That means the only way a villain can [b]defeat [/b]him is with Kryptonite. This leads to repetitive storylines along the lines of:

[b]Villain: [/b]Superman, I am speaking on frequency only you can hear! I have kidnapped Lois Lane!
[b]Superman: [/b]*whoosh* Yoink!
[b]Villain: [/b]I have Kryptonite!
[b]Superman: [/b]Arrgh! Save me, Lois Lane!

Similarly, the Green Lantern. There's [b]nothing [/b]he can't create with that ring, so every encounter is solved by him creating a new and visually impressive thingie to counter whatever it is the villain has to offer.

Marvel superheroes, with the possible exception of home-baked Yankee beefcake Captain America, are far more human and fallible. You know that, for the purposes of the comic continuing, Spiderman won't die. But it's feasible, from an if-this-were-real point of view, that he [b]could [/b]die, or fail, or make a mistake. That gives the stories more suspense and makes them a generally better read.

[b]Make Mine Marvel :animesmil[/b]
[/font][/color]

Superman is Superman. He's the archetype. I think it's hard to compare other superheroes to him in that sense because he has to maintain the ideal. Marvel has had some characters that are pretty much just as up there as far as invincibility goes. Despite this, I can't stand most Superman comics and I don't really care for the character. The enemies within the series are some of the worst ones that come to mind.

Your other mention, Batman, pretty much fights directly against the idea of all DC characters being invincible to begin with... He doesn't have super powers, he's just a mortal man. That very idea has been something toyed with during the entire run, with him and his friends/allies/enemies within the comics.

Either way, I don't really have any preference overall. You can't really think simply in terms of the main superheroes anymore because there's so much other stuff from both publishers right now, whether it's from them or another company under them.

My favorite comics right now are published by Image (The Walking Dead) and Vertigo. The latter is owned by DC and publishes things like The Books of Magic, Hellblazer, Ex Machina, Fables, Y: The Last Man, Life During Wartime, etc. Every one of these goes against the "invincible superhero" idea. I don't think it's a valid excuse anymore.

If you prefer Marvel's comics just from an enjoyment standpoint then that's cool by me. Personally, I don't know that I prefer one or the other. I don't really buy based on brand, I buy based on what is getting a good buzz and looks good. I'd say, overall, I have bought a pretty equal amount of comics between the two.

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]I personally prefer DC. I mean I read some of the X-Men titles from Marvel, but not on a regular basis. My collection primarily consists of DC titles like Batman, Wonder Woman, Birds of Prey etc.

I think DC represents a much more classic period of comics. Much darker now than in previous decades, DC concentrates on the moral and all encompassing subjects, whereas Marvel seems to focus more on smaller issues in my experience.

Created in the 60s, when DC was at the top of its game, Marvel comes across as comics for a new generation. Its like comparing CDs against Records. Marvel is more embeded in pop culture, I mean if you asked an regular joe to name a marvel hero they would probably come up with at least 5 off the bat, whereas with DC they could probably name two at best. (I was so shocked and annoyed when noone in my work place knew who Wonder Woman was, I mean I thought that at least Wonder Woman was recognisable)

DC heroes are not invincible, just look at my signature for that sad confirmation. Even with heroes like superman, his seeming invincibility allows for a lot more creativity and expansion of character. If you've read any of the recent Superman issues concerning the Harrowing you'll know what I mean.

Sufficed to say, I'm DC all the way. It's all a matter of taste.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']Your other mention, Batman, pretty much fights directly against the idea of all DC characters being invincible to begin with... He doesn't have super powers, he's just a mortal man. That very idea has been something toyed with during the entire run, with him and his friends/allies/enemies within the comics. [/quote]
[SIZE=1][COLOR="#990033"][b]
Batman owns. Seriously though, Superman is a little over-rated I can admit that. I don't really know much about the labels of the comics so I can't really say that I'm an expert on the subject. Like Generic said, Batman is unique because he doesn't have super powers. It proves that mortal beings can kick butt also, [strike]either that or he's on steroids[/strike] and also he was more realistic then a guy who's scared of a green rock. It kind of reminds me of the wicked witch from the wizard of Oz.

He sees kyptonite.
Superman : "Ahhh noo I'm melting."
Superman turns into a puddle on the floor.

I really wish superhero's would lose the tights though, it really isn't a good look. But anyways, Batman will always be a classic to me because he was something different and no, he did not win ALL the time. The joker also always got away from him. Explain that. Plus haven't you always wanted to drive the bat mobile? Come on, you know you've thought about it once.
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/b]

[SIZE=1]I could really care less about which universe is stronger. They already made a comic book on that, and ultimately [spoiler]they stalemated.[/spoiler] DC is better based on the sole fact they have Batman. X-Men are an added bonus to the deal.

Really, I like Batman because he's a human, and it really shows. He's not some glorified ideal. He is a mortal man, fighting with a burning flame of [B][I]retribution[/I][/B] in his soul. I love that. So, whatever universe gets Batman, I like them more. ^_^[/SIZE]

When I was a child I liked Marvel better for one reason. Spiderman.

Spiderman is a flawed superhero.
He's not perfect and muscular like Superman.
He's not rich and powerful like Batman.

He's a human. A nerd. Somebody other nerds can look up to.
He was also deadly funny.

Superman on the other hand is pretty interesting.
I HATE that he's practically a god, but I heard on TV something peculiar. They noted how Superman is the only superhero who fights crime in their 'secret identity' and is in costume when they're "mild mannered".
Clark Kent is such a dork and nerdy because that's how he sees humans. It's a characature of humans.

[quote]But anyways, Batman will always be a classic to me because he was something different and no, he did not win ALL the time. The joker also always got away from him. Explain that. Plus haven't you always wanted to drive the bat mobile? Come on, you know you've thought about it once.[/quote]
Same with Spider-man. He even lost [spoiler]his child to the Green Goblin[/spoiler]. As for the batmobile? I always preferred riding in the Batwing. Doood that was the shiznit.

Anybody hear about Watchmen?
Who watches the watchmen?

-ArV

I believe Marvel is better because of the storylines, they seem believable to me. Especially in the movies I've watched based on the comic book characters. DC's storylines seem kinda out there, I never could get into DC comics because of that. On the other hand Marvel made everthing seem so real to me, especially when it comes to Spider-man.

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1][QUOTE=r2vq]When I was a child I liked Marvel better for one reason. Spiderman.
-ArV[/QUOTE]

Spider man annoys me so much. All he does is whine and bitch and whine. "I don't want these super powers *cries*" suck it up! What kind of a spider is blue and red anyway.

Now that Black Cat, that is a heroine I respect. She is simply amazing and is one of the only Marvel heroes that I truly do like as a character. I'd love to see her and Catwoman in a crossover comic, oh the escapades and the superhero belittling they'd get up to ^_~.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=doukeshi03][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]

Spider man annoys me so much. All he does is whine and bitch and whine. "I don't want these super powers *cries*" suck it up! What kind of a spider is blue and red anyway.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, because if your being a super-hero resulted in the death of your uncle, girlfriend, unborn child, best friend, favorite teacher, co-worker, marriage and chances for a normal, productive life, you'd love being a hero, too. =P

[QUOTE]
Now that Black Cat, that is a heroine I respect. She is simply amazing and is one of the only Marvel heroes that I truly do like as a character. I'd love to see her and Catwoman in a crossover comic, oh the escapades and the superhero belittling they'd get up to ^_~.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Have you read Marvel Knights Spider-Man? Felicia isn't exactly a "hero". (Whixh is one of the things I find appealing about her, though I doubt the Vulture would agree. And if you read the story, you'd get that.)

Anyway, Marvel clearly has better stories and characters than DC; as has been stated, DC heroes are "Invincible ideals". And, while I like Batman, I'm not getting how he's relatable. He's a frickin' billionaire. He probably had lunch with the Enron guys a week before they were busted. If I could afford to build my own personal jets, I could save people, too.

DC heroes are mostly power-fantasies. You want to be Superman, or Batman. Why would you want to be Spider-Man, who has to chose between his personal happiness and doing the right thing? Or Captain America, who constantly has to balance his tranditional principles against an increasingly complex world? Or the Thing, who has to be the Thing? These characters have an inherant depth that DC characters don't.

A perfect example of this was the Death of Superman storyline, which was one of the worst comic stories of all time. Why? Because you knew it was a fake. You knew darn well that he wasn't going to stay dead for more than a year, and this was just a quick grab for attention. It took the worst cliche in the medium and made it banner headlines. And, just to make it more ridiculous, he's killed by some guy we'd never seen before. Not by Lex Luthor, or another long time foe, but by some punk whom we're supposed to be impressed by within six issues. Tha'ts just lazy writing...

Granted, it's not as if Marvel doesn't have their own problems. Because they've been keeping a fairly continuos story going since the sixties, (unlike DC, who have a rebotting timeline), certain sacrifices have to be made towards past strories for the sake of stroytelling. (For example, Reed Richards and Ben Grimm didn't meet in World War II. And not as many villians spy for the Russians as they used to.)

But, on the whole, their books are better, and the characters more human. So, yeah, mine are Marvel.

Both are great and at Reti said they stalemated both are quite equal and both have pros and cons both have amazing characters that are unforgetable. How could you say that people cannot name five DC and five Marvel you are not a big fan of comics if you cannot name atleast five from each in a flash.

I will read what I like and that is how I see it.

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1][QUOTE=Ima]Both are great and at Reti said they stalemated both are quite equal and both have pros and cons both have amazing characters that are unforgetable. How could you say that people cannot name five DC and five Marvel you are not a big fan of comics if you cannot name atleast five from each in a flash.

I will read what I like and that is how I see it.[/QUOTE]

What I mean is normal people who aren't comic fans aren't usually able to, Marvel heroes are so much more publicised, or at least they were. Of course comic fans are going to be able to name five from each easily e.g.

Marvel:
Spider Man
Wolverine
Captain America
Hawkeye
Sue Storm

DC:
Green Lantern
Green Arrow
Batman
Wildcat
Wonder Woman

Now, again when you bring up the whole invincible trade mark of DC the only arguments I have seen so far relate to the big three, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. If you delve deeper you are going to see a lot more. For instance Green Arrow's protege, Arsenal, suffered from drug addiction and depression, he also has a kid with one of the DCU's most deadly assassins, Cheshire. Kyle Rayner, the most recent Green Lantern's girlfriend was killed and to be honest he isn't the most heroic of heroes (he and spider-man would get on great ^_~)

[quote name='DeathBug']Have you read Marvel Knights Spider-Man? Felicia isn't exactly a "hero". (Whixh is one of the things I find appealing about her, though I doubt the Vulture would agree. And if you read the story, you'd get that.)[/quote]

Of course I haven't read it, if I don't like Spider-Man why would I continuously read one of his titles ¬_¬. And I do realise that Felicia isn't exactly a heroine, more like an anti-hero, which I believe is her appeal (much like Gambit and Wolverine in the X-Men and to a greater extent Catwoman)

Another thing that I don't like about Marvel is that there are so many incarnations of one thing, like the amazing amount of X-men titles. It's really quite confusing and difficult to know what's going on. At least with the different titles in DC (such as Batman, Batman Gotham Knights, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight) they all pretty much tie into one another and flow along the same lines.

Who would want to be Spider-Man? Who would want to be Batman, who's parents were killed before his very eyes and constantly has to struggle with his own inner demons and psychoses and with the ever increasing war zone that Gotham City has become?

In retrospect however, you say that the DCU is all about power play and the sense of invincibility and that I feel is the appeal of DC. It is a form of escapism where you can read about heroes saving the world or even the universe, where mythical heroes do battle with monsters and with with supervillans and their gangs.

I don't read about something that could be real. Why would I want it to be real? [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

Until recently I'd have said marvel. Their core characters are more accessable than DCs, and until recently their hadn't been any good DC films.

On the other hand, DCs characters are generally more "believable". Blackjack says superman is too invincible and god-like, but marvel has thor, who is a god, and Galactus, who eats planets.

I've also come to like some of DC's vertigo characters, especially from the sandman stories.

Also Batman Begins Rocks

In Norse mythology Thor was a god so they cannot take the name thor and not make him a god it would not fit, In the comics he is also a god because he really was a god. Both as I have said have characters that will not be forgotten and both are very good and both are the legends of comics, what this will come down to is taste. Do you want a more realistic character? or do you want a character that will own it up? That is why I read both comics and I am quite undecided.

[size=1][color=slategray]I've never really been a fan of Marvel comics. I'd pick DC over Marvel any day, c'mon, they're the classics, you can't get any better than that. And I've always been a Batman fan, always.
Now, I'm not going to go into this whole thing... I'll just cut to the chase. I defiantly prefer DC comics.[/color][/size]