OtakuBoards

[GFX] Retribution (winner) vs. Sean

Guest Sean

[FONT=Arial]Yes, it's been said in the thread that the club has been getting less hits, so me and Retribution discussed a graphics battle, and here it is.

Retribution vs. Sean; it's a simple theme we're working on here, the theme of [i]life[/i]. It shall be a free-range battle, allowing the competitors to use any form necessary to covey the theme of life.

My Piece:
[URL=http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gfxbattlelife7sc.jpg][IMG]http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/2163/gfxbattlelife7sc.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Good luck,
Sean.[/FONT]

[SIZE=1]Alright! Let the voting commence! Sean has submitted his piece, and I didn't realize it, as he edited his post and the topic never bumped.

[B]Voting will close sunday night at 12:00 PM EST (midnight)[/B]

EDIT: To the mods, this wasn't a double post. Doc deleted his post. Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.[/SIZE]

[size=1]*grumbles at Sean* Thanks for letting us know you edited your post, silly boy.

Anyway, I shall cast my vote now. My vote goes to [b][color=darkred]Retribution[/color][/b]. And now, a bit of critiquing from Annie!

[b]Sean[/b]- I like the color and tone. Very subtle and and calming. The texture is nice as well, it looks like an oil painting. However, I'm not sure if I like how you bunched the text into one corner. I just can't feel the meaning/theme...Perhaps if it were spread apart. You know, the "eyes open" on the pic of the open eye, "eyes closed" in the pic of the closed eye. Even so, I really can't see the flow of the theme in this graphic.

[b]Retribution[/b]- I don't see why you were freaking out about this battle. Your piece is delightful, and very in depth. Symbolism is very important and is something that's hardly ever seen to it's full meaning, and you've clearly let it shine in this one. The theme "life" can be seen in your graphic, and I list:
[list][*][b]The Child[/b]- Innocense, curiousity, growth and development. All things a child carries, and sometimes, never loses. Only in a child will you find these things to be pure, true, and untainted by the immorals of society.
[*][b]The Toys[/b]- I see movement. I see this representing how fast a child grows up, and how short life can be. To live life to the fullest, enjoy the ride, take one step at a time.
[*][b]The Popsicles[/b]- I feel that the joys we receive in life can be found in a simple of things, such as ice cream. Children are the one thing in life that hold so much sweetness. And watching them grow in health, curiousity, and acknowledgement is a delightful treat. [/list]

All that and a bag of potato chips...Plus, the colors are so rich and bright, the quality is stunning and amazing. So clear and clean, it looks as if I'm looking out my window.

Good job guys.[/size]

I had a nice long post drawn up I meant to post last night, it was semi indepth and such... but because of my time delays I lost it.

I'll do a quick sum up.

[b] Retri[/b]: I do prefer your vibe of life. It has the insignificant for us, as we grow... but thinking about it, it shows what's special to a child. I love the bright, vibrant colors, they help get the childish view across *how many kids, besides those abused and such.. lived in dark, dreary, everything sucks and is black worlds?*

[b] Sean[/b]: I had first misinterpreted your piece. I do like the concept, likes gone in a blink.

My vote goes to [b]Retri[/b].

[SIZE=1]I would have voted last night, but I was rather tired after my journey so I doubt it would have been very detailed. Eh heh.

[B]Retribution:[/B] I think you managed to capture the essence of life better than Sean did, what with showing 'scenes' from a child's life. Most people associate the young with the pureness of life anyway, so I think this was great use of symbolism.

Going away from the theme of this competition, I think your image is very clean and very controlled. The colours mix well and the lighting is lovely. Also, that child is gorgeous!

[B]Sean:[/B] I think you pulled off 'Life' pretty well, I like your image but I don't think it symbolises the essence of what life is about as well as Retri's does.

You used the effect well and it hasn't distorted the image, which is good, you managed to give it a very nice painted effect like it had been done with oil paint. I don't like the little black box type...thing by the text, but I like the text itself. Thing that scares me--the open eye looks like mine. o.O;

Overall, my vote goes to [B]Retribution[/B]. Well done both of you.[/SIZE]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=RoyalBlue][b]Sean :[/b] I don't quite catch the relation to life with Sean's entry. The second eye, I couldn't even make out what it was when I first viewed it. I mistaked it for a walnut =/ Due to the brush stroke look to it.

[B]Retribution [/B]: Retri's is simple and clean with nice colors and proper pictures that blend into a better view of life. There's not much else to say that hasn't already been covered by the people who casted their opinions before me.

I vote [B]Retribution.[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Well well, this is a fascinating little thread if I do say so myself. Still it feels somewhat like jury duty having to make a choice between the two pictures, as they both express the theme of life so well, yet so differently.

[b]Retribution:[/b] A beautiful, colourful piece of art that sum up early childhood to a tee. The curiosity and innocent open-eyed wonder of the child, the two dinky cars and the pair of ice-pops, all things we think of if we were to truly think of life, when is life so pure and good as it is when we are children. A beautiful, if finite view of life.

[b]Sean:[/b] A different take on life, the mortality of it, to compare life to the blink of an eye, and in the span of time itself perhaps an accurate comparison. They skin tones are vivid and yet peaceful, though the open eye bears something in the colour of the iris that I can't quite put my finger on, fear perhaps ? The finality of all things, that life is something to be views as precious and never squandered, because in the end even the stars themselves will wink out of existence.

A rather hard choice between two excellent representations, but my vote goes to [B]Sean[/B], his piece represents life more fully in my mind. Retribution's piece was excellent too, but that kind of life for such a short length of time that it's almost tragic. [/SIZE]

[color=blue][size=1][b]Sean[/b]'s piece is a bit bland, if you ask me. The images are hard to make out, and the way they were filtered makes them look strange. And the way you blended (or didn't blend) the two eyes together makes it look even more unfinished, in a way. But the text is nice, though. *shrug*

[b]Retri[/b]'s entry was better. The images you chose are great representations of the theme, and they just look so good the way they are put together in your image. I liked the text at the top (and I normally don't like text =P), and the bright colors really reinforce the theme of "life".

My vote goes to [b]Retribution[/b].[/size][/color]

[QUOTE=Hack Helba][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=RoyalBlue][b]Sean :[/b] I don't quite catch the relation to life with Sean's entry. The second eye, I couldn't even make out what it was when I first viewed it. I mistaked it for a walnut =/ Due to the brush stroke look to it.

[B]Retribution [/B]: Retri's is simple and clean with nice colors and proper pictures that blend into a better view of life. There's not much else to say that hasn't already been covered by the people who casted their opinions before me.

I vote [B]Retribution.[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Hacky summed it up. I feel that Retri's piece just gave a more vivid view of the theme of "Life".

My vote goes to [B]Retribution[/B].[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Well I'm afaird this competition is over. [COLOR=Black][B]Retribution wins[/B][/COLOR] by vote of 6 to 1. Good job to the both of you on your excellent pieces of work, and thanks to the members who participated.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Just as a quick note, I think I should be closing these competitions once they are done and a winner is decided. :)

Edit: And now, thanks to a suggestion from Hack Helba, I'll be editing the title to say the winner as well.