OtakuBoards

Thoughts of the Black Market.

Ice Dragon v2

....I think going after the black Market is stupid....it is just like drugs.... half of the people who do it is just because they arn't supposed to do it.... If we got rid of some of these stupid laws and stopped wasting rescources on battle we can't win then crime would be down a lot more.... If someone wants to waste their life then thats their problem...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ice Dragon v2 [/i]
[B]The black market. A place or corporation that sells illegal goods or bootleg or whatever that has been smuggled in to the U.S. Police have stop these markets for some time. Even though we only hear that they sell drugs, guns, and organs (yea they sell them) But lately, I've done some heavy thinking about this. Kids our age are doing it and making a business on whatever they're selling. If you don't know on what I mean, they sell copies of games, burned music cds, and sell other operational programs. It may seem harmless because the public thinks it's just how kids play with technical stuff. Think about it. Right in our very eyes, some kids are getting into the busniess. But we do nothing to stop them. Do you think you should stop them or let them go as they wish??? What are your thoughts about this?? [/B][/QUOTE]

If they aren't caught then what's the point of complaining... I personally like people to burn CD's for me...but they don't charge me.....Nowadays I see it like this.. You gotta do what you can to survive and that's what some of the kids are doing.. They're trying to make money.... But I personally feel that if the businesses and organizations don't complain.. then why should we....that is unless someone is caught... THEN WE STOP THEM....
PLS EXCLUDE THOUHGTS OF NAPSTER FROM MY OPINION I WASN"T TALKING ABOUT THAT SITUATION

cd burners make no sense. i mean, if you're burning a cd, you're breaking the law as far as i know, unless it's something you wrote yourself.

as someone who was once an active participant in the "black market" (though we didn't call it that), i can tell you that they will listen to no one. they are the law unto themsleves. it's too huge & has too many people involved for the police to even make a dent in it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lady Macaiodh [/i]
[B]cd burners make no sense. i mean, if you're burning a cd, you're breaking the law as far as i know, unless it's something you wrote yourself.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Useless huh??
Well, the thought of the cd burner was made so people can use it to their own purposes. Maybe someone in a certain coporation thought that a person might start a bootleg company or such. But hey, it's the business that counts.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by sweetreyes [/i]
[B][COLOR=royalblue] And that's all that seems to matter to ppl...BUSINESS..Get the money while you can and then run.....[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]
We call this "A hit and run" operation. Heh, so far, we've made eh...$323. Man, that's pretty good. Problem is, I gotta split it with my partners. Oh well. Even in the black market I gotta be fair with the salary. Those fools. :flaming: :demon: :demon:

I know right.Who cares if we burn cds,and all that crap>The cops try to stop drugs,but it's to big to be stopped.Man they should just make drugs legal.Hey,maybe more people will stop since it's illegal because some ppl might just do it because it's illegal and try to look cool:devil:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DaRk DrAgOn [/i]
[B]I know right.Who cares if we burn cds,and all that crap>The cops try to stop drugs,but it's to big to be stopped.Man they should just make drugs legal.Hey,maybe more people will stop since it's illegal because some ppl might just do it because it's illegal and try to look cool:devil: [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=indigo]
Yeah make drugs legal.....that way everyone can make a killing...Both literal and figuratively...nah..b/c it'll become outta control no matter how hard you try to control it.....[/COLOR]

My thoughts: Keep the black market. Why? Because I'm involved in selling stuff. I sell burned cds sometimes. So what? I have my parents' permission, and my friends are allowed to buy it, because I sell cds that are out right now for a lower price than the store, so its a good deal. Same thing, but for less money.

[color=crimson][size=1]Software piracy is easy/convenient, but it's also hypocritical.

This is because most people buy pirate software due to its low price. However, when more and more software is pirated, software makers make less and less money. The result is that they push the prices of their software up...and subsequently, more people can't afford it, so they buy more pirated stuff.

If there was no software pirating, you'd see prices of software come down dramatically.

Also, pirating may seem okay...but sometimes great development studios run out of money because they make no profits...and when that happens, they have to close down and can't make anymore software (SNK is a great example of this).

I don't buy any pirated software for two reasons.

One is that if I buy a great new game from Square, Nintendo or Sega for example...I [b]want[/b] those companies to get my money. After years of late nights and hard work...they deserve to be rewarded for their creative effort. It would be nasty of me to just steal from them after all that great work they put in...and piracy is basically stealing.

Second, pirated software never comes with warranties or guarantees. It's often junk software which is printed on crappy quality discs.

But basically, I would never pirate something like Final Fantasy or Mario...Square & Nintendo deserve the money they receive for their effort and genius. If I was Nintendo and I was making great games for people...spending night after night working late...only to have people steal from me...I'd feel pretty crappy.

So yeah, I don't think I could bring myself to buy pirated stuff.

It's especially low (in my opinion) to be a pirate software dealer. It's stealing on a mass scale.

And there's nothing great about theft.[/color][/size]

I agree with you james, but, until the pirating is totally stopped, and it never will be, i am going to try not to buy the original if I can get it copied for cheaper, because i am one poor mofo. not really, but my dad got laid off, and now my family has no money until my dad gets a job. That might happen on saturday hopefully!!!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vegitto4 [/i]
[B]I agree with you james, but, until the pirating is totally stopped, and it never will be, i am going to try not to buy the original if I can get it copied for cheaper, because i am one poor mofo. not really, but my dad got laid off, and now my family has no money until my dad gets a job. That might happen on saturday hopefully!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]Well, if you're not part of the solution...you're part of the problem.

Piracy will never stop as long as people keep pumping money into the black market.

I know that there is a great temptation to pirate software...but if you are tempted to steal software from a computer store, do you do it?

Nope.

And buying pirated games are exactly the same thing...only worse, because you're paying the person who is copying 'em.

It's your choice of course, but as Hiroshi Yamauchi said..."people won't kneel down in the streets and die if they don't have video games".

Meaning, you don't [b]need[/b] games/software...so there's no real reason to get them pirated.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lady Macaiodh [/i]
[B]leave it to james to blow us all out of the water.

luckily, i don't buy computer games of any kind, so at least [I]that's[/I] something i don't have to feel guilty for. i just shoplift at random. :naughty: :demon: :naughty: [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]Having worked for Nintendo in the past, I guess I can kind of see it from their point of view.

It's a huge frustration to them (and lots of other software companies too).

[/color][/size]

• 5 weeks later...
It is illegal to burn a CD then [U]sell[/U] it to a friend, however if you just burn it then give it to a friend for free, it is not considered illegal because you made no money off of it. I don't sell burned CD's, if a friend of mine wants a burned CD I ask that they just give me a blank CD of theirs and I burn it for them and get it back to them. That's not illegal. Now if I charged them for it, it would be.

However I think the whole matter is harmless anyway. It may be illegal for kids to do that, but if you think of it this way, they could be selling alot worse than CD's. At least they're not out selling drugs or machineguns

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Justin [/i]
[B]Vegeta, this topic is like two weeks old or more, why did you bring it back?

-Justin [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually it's 5 days old, which I agree is pretty old on the Otaku. Sorry, I saw it on the main page, thought it an intellectually stimulating post, but neglected to check the date before I posted. Sorry.