OtakuBoards

2-player RPGs / Co-op games

maverickwarrior

Err, well there's LotR: The Return of the King although that's more of a hack n' slash game than an rpg.
Almost all the Final Fantasy games allow you to give control of some characters to a second player in battle.
I'd say the master of co-op rpg's right now is FF: Crystal Chronicles, although you have to buy alot of stuff just to play it and it does get seriously repetetive.

[CENTER][COLOR=Red][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2, Champions of Norrath, and Return to Norrath are a few of the sort of games you'd be interested in. They're hack and slash RPG that can be played with two players, Champions of Norrath and Return to Norrath can be played with up to four players however. I suggest you looking into those games.[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Lets see...Final Fantasy 9. Um. Tales Of Symphonia. Along the lines of Ed here I'll say Fallout Brotherhood of the Steel. Its a hack and slash RPG, but an RPG. Star Ocean Till the End of Time has a two player battle mode using the main characters in the game in the fashion the fight in the single player game. Other that...I got nothing, but those are some good ones![/SIZE][/COLOR]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Well you mentioned RPGs/Co-op games so I'm assuming you wouldn't mind a non-RPG suggestion? If so, I'd suggest Halo/Halo 2. They both have a co-op campaign mode which is really fun to play through with a friend. Plus, the game actually adjusts itself to compensate for two people by adding more enemies and doing other things to make it more challenging. Of course, you do need an Xbox for this suggestion to work ^_^[/color][/font]

Tales of Symphonia has a two player mode, but if you dont both know how to play one of you will get bored QUICK. Also, with Final Fantasy and ToS, your not both on the world map.

[b]And Now the best multiplayer RPG ever.[/b]

Phantasy Star Online. Ive never actually played it online before, but me and my brothers and our friends have put well over 100 hours into this game on the first 2 levels alone.

[quote name='MarkAnthony]The Baldur's gate and Norath titles get really old really fast, slash slash slash spell, theres no real depth to them.[/QUOTE]Unfortunatly that's kind of what Lord of the Rings: Return of the King feels like. It's only really worthwhile to the die-hard fans of the movies (I like the movies... but sometimes playing video games based on a movie seem exactly like the same thing... it's very irritating)[QUOTE']Go play "the hunter" =P[/quote] And what console is this for? (I tried it on google but too many games have "hunter" in it ^^; )

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Off the top of my head the only Co-Op game I play regularly would be [B]Star Wars Rogue Squadron: Rebel Strike[/B], though the Co-Op mode in that is just [B]Rogue Leader[/B] made for two people. Still it's a lot of fun, and gunning down the Death Star with your brother as your wingman is the stuff that brings the film alive. Though the argument over who's Luke and who's Wedge can sometimes turn ugly.

If you still have a Sega Megadrive II, then there's an absolute bunch of Co-Op games that are great to play, my own personal favourites being [B]Streets of Rage[/b], the sequel [b]Streets of Rage 2[/B] and [b]Golden Axe[/b], S.o.R. and Golden Axe came as part of the second Triple Pack of games released for the Sega Megadrive II. Again they're all double player games but a hell of a lot of fun to play once you get into them. [/SIZE]

[quote name='maverickwarrior']And what console is this for? (I tried it on google but too many games have "hunter" in it ^^; )[/quote]

The Hunter is a very little known turn based game for the psx, i think it was called battle hunter in the U.S. Its an addictive (if somewhat VERY linear) up to 4 player game, thats not quite an rpg but not really anything else. I wouldnt really reccomend it to be honest, but as far as party rpg goes it really is the best one i can think of.

The best multiplayer party game ever released is by far micro-maniacs (not micro machines as most people automatically assume) But its a top down racing game.
The Bishi Bashi series is a good party game also, but gets repetitive quick.

[color=darkred]For multi-player, I'd go for LoZ: Four Swords Adventure. It has a very competetive drive to it that's a scratch above most other multi-player games, because as well as the competetive edge it holds, it also forces you to team up with your fellow players via puzzles and battles, which causes the game's gameplay to fluctuate in many ways. It seriously averts from the cliched hack and slash, though. The limited amount of items and weapons you get will urge you to think about different play tactics all the way throughout levels, seeing as each level is like a fresh start to the game.[/color]

[SIZE=1]Before My post lets put in some online gaming humor.
[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=ThoraxtheImpaler]
[b]And Now the best multiplayer RPG ever.[/b]

Phantasy Star Online. Ive never actually played it online before, but me and my brothers and our friends have put well over 100 hours into this game on the first 2 levels alone.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1][B]
Straight Up Pwn.[/B]

I think infact he could be right. While in [B]Phantasy Star[/B], my character is only about level 31, My cousin plays with his friends constantly, and his character is about level 65, with almost all teh secret weapons in the game. : \ They play Eppie 1 and 2.

Of course, the platform here being [I]GameCube[/I]. ;)

But, if you want a REAL good Co-op game, why haven't I heard anyone Mention [B]Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory[/B]?
I LOVE the co-op player engine. It makes it so realistic.[/SIZE]