OtakuBoards

Creative: What Type Are You?

Yukina123

[COLOR=DarkOrchid] ^_^ Just curious to see who does what. Are you a manga-ka, or someone gifted with words more than shading techniques? Do you draw what you see, or see what you create?

I, myself, am a writer. An aspiring Manga-ka I can't draw worth crap. lol. I try occassionally, but I do mostly abstract art. I have a friend who can draw really well and does mostly anime sketches, but I have seen mangas where the author and artist are two different people.

So what's your interest and what are you good at? ^_^ Glad to see what you write!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Well, I cannot draw for *** (It's true; even my stick-figures look like a irratiated baby who's mom was on Thalidamai stuck his fingers in his noes and smeared them on a canvas) but I'm incredibly gifted with words. My biggest problem, though, is that I don't have the attention-span to get anything done; I'll write two beautiful pages and than resort to 'Screw Flanders' over and over. I'm also told that I'm moderatly funny. I draw my inspiration from The Hitchikers Guide so I try to emularte D.A. as best I can; often failing, but somtimes being funny as hell. Lately, though, I've lost my flare for writing; I just can't get into it anymore. All in all I'm a sci-fi-com-zom-rom-bomb writer full of what I think are clever characters and wildly ****** up story lines; long live the Jolly Roger 2.0 and her Neo-Privateers![/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]I'm what some people call a jack-of-all-trades, good enough at many things, but never excelling in one particular skill. I sing, write, and draw.

In chorus, I was always a powerful backup soprano, but never a soloist. In writing, I always try my absolute best, but am always looking for critique to improve (I probably need it more than I think.:animeswea) and in drawing, a lot of my friends are so much better than me at drawing anime pictures. One of them spends almost all of her time drawing. She's got an account at [URL=http://shinuki.deviantart.com/]DeviantART[/URL] and if you check it out, I highly suggest [URL=http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/19843026/]'Jordan'[/URL]. It's one of her best sketches to date.[/FONT]

I have to admit that I can draw fairly well, and write fairly well, but my problem is that I just can't get most of my work finished!

In drawings, I usually rush at the end, and manage to ruin the whole work. In writing, I create all these great characters and a good setting, and somethimes write a few pages or fifty, but then my interest ceases as I get a new, "better" idea and begin to work with that.

And then there are those times - that are becoming more and more frequent nowadays - when my creativity is at zero. I can't be bothered to do anything at those times, so I just surf the net. :P

[COLOR=FireBrick][SIZE=1][quote name='Ilium][COLOR=DarkRed']My biggest problem, though, is that I don't have the attention-span to get anything done[/COLOR][/quote]Bullseye!

Out of ten sketches, only one would make it to completion; the other nine will get filed into the ever-growing stack of unfinished work in my desk. It's not that I'm horrible at drawing (I'm very good at it, actually), I just find it hard to sustain the momentum I had at the start. Sometimes, I even begin to loathe the piece I'm working on and erase the whole thing out of frustration. Same goes for wallpapers, banners and avatars.

So there you go. An artist frustrated with Attention Deficit Disorder.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Revue][COLOR=FireBrick][SIZE=1]
So there you go. An artist frustrated with Attention Deficit Disorder.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

ADD? Aren't well nowadays... ;P

There's just too many things going on around us, so we find it hard to concentrate on anything. Imagine a painter or a poet of the old days: all they had around them was the sounds of the nature, and they could easily enter their own inner world of imagination.

It was easy for me when I was a kid, too, but now... I've got all these [I]influences [/I] - tv, music, videogames, commercials, books, comics - pouring into me everywhere, and they suffocate my own imagination!

If only those influences weren't so dang appealing! ;P

I love to draw, I'll draw a picture and be proud of it one day and then see some thing on a art site and say...damn..I need to step up my game . then I'd go through all the drawings I have and separate things I would want to do over with the things I'm happy with and then...forget to do it. x.x.

I draw and write. Sometimes I put them together and: tadaaaaan!!! Instant manga!
I have two problems, though, that keep me from getting to far:
1.) I have yet to settle on a style for my art or for my writing. Of course, all I draw is manga characters, but I can't just seem to decide on one style! And my writing is too off focus. First, my story is a serious sci-fi, then it suddenly becomes a romantic comedy!
2.) I don't have attention span worth squat. I've got none. Diddly.

[B]Curse you ADD!!![/B] :demon:

I can't draw for ****, however I keep practicing, and i'm improving gradually. I am however, a writer and i feel that I am much better at writing than drawing.

Alongside many peole in this thread, I lack both the drive and attention span to get most thing done, and so my files are clogged with unfinished stuff...

[size=1][color=slategray]I'm an alright drawer... but a lot of times, everything I draw comes out as crap. It seems like when I'm not meaning to draw something good, it comes out decent, but if I actually try... it's not so great. I've discovered that I draw best with pens and marks for some reason.

My graphic art skills are just somewhat above average, I guess. I've had my share of good and bad art. I've never quite mastered any particular style. I just love messing around with Photoshop and seeing what I come up with. Normally it's pretty decent, but that's depending on who's looking at it.

As far as I know, writing is my greatest art skill... and it's one of the few things I enjoy. Right now I'm mainly practicing my form with fan fictions and such. But I have a good amount of actual stories I have bouncing around in my head. Alas, I must wait until I get my lap top before I can actually start writing those things.
My sister is getting nasty towards me because I enjoy writing... and according to some awards I've collected... I'm pretty good. She fights with me about it, saying that it was her dream first. I don't know why she has to be so crazy about it, though. Because, a few months before, she told me she was proud. But now her views have totally changed. Well, that's just another episode of getting shot down by my older sister. Go figure.[/color][/size]

I suppose drawing's my strongest creative trait, although my art's starting to get on the cutesy side lately *stares at icon* Still, it's one of my favorite hobbies, so I do draw a lot.

I was never really much of a writer. I'm a little to straightforward and I try to refrain from adding any fancy frills or what have you.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1]I'm much more of a writer then anything. I can't draw anime figurines and I can't really do graphic design because all I have is PSP 6 which isn't all that impressive like photoshop. I can't afford that at the moment. I have the same problem with the people above, I'll be writing a story or RPG, and then I'll get frustrated with it and through it away. It usually takes me about 20 trys until I come up with something that I'm satisfied with.

Writing is the ONLY talent that I'm good at. I'd rather be okay at all three, then be a semi-good writer. But that's just me. Oh and for those of you that do graphic design, ( and do it well ) props to you because it's not as easy as it seems. It takes a lot of effort and work just as it would into drawing a picture. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]I'm a musician, martial artist, graphic designer (Psssh... Right) and aspiring manga artist.

I suppose I can write, I just need a good enough topic. I am much better at simply making detailed descriptions of characters and inserting them into a specific scenario. Why whould that not be considered writing, you say? Because... Well... Anything I do lacks plot and depth. Everything is just a detailed description of a given situation.

So I have leaned to the 'Comic'-esque side of writing. I do sketches and things to go along with my ideas, and the creative juices start flowing! Though both my writing and art lacks the fine tuning it so deserves, I am getting better.

I am going for my Advanced Red Belt in traditional American Karate tomorrow. Wish me luck! (I am also a Red Belt in Tang-So-Do, a Korean Martial Arts style.) This is my most prominent creative outlet, as it's the only thing I am confident in.

I play both the guitar and keyboard. I am much better at playing the keyboard, but it has always been my dream to play guitar in a band. Don't ask me why, I haven't the slightest clue.

I enjoy making graphix in my beloved PSP7, but alas, I am not all too skilled at the fine art that is Graphics Making. =/

Also, I consider myself a fair playwrite. When I get the inspiration...[/SIZE][/CENTER]

i myself am an author thingy,i can't draw but i have a friend who does charecter ilestation. my curent book is "Aprentices", a book about a japenese-irish dude named kyko mctagen, his ma is the japenese parent so natrauly he looks alot like his dad(red head, frecles, tradional irish look) with a body like his ma(5 feet tall, small feet)
thanks for listening, this is the first time i've wrote down his anotamy and i also just changed his last name (atityo to McTagen(much easyer to spell))

I'm a writer. But, there are different degrees and shades of writers. There's more logical ones and then there's ones like me: I'd say I'm more pathos, or I appeal to the emotions, with my writing.

I'm writing a novel right now. 45 pages. Someday, I hope I'll be done. I'm trying to be done by the end of the year.

[SIZE=1]I'm both an artist and author I guess lol.

I like to draw, although it's not amazing, over the years I've gotten better. I draw manga / anime a lot simply because it's come natural and I enjoy it. You can call tons of shows 'anime' but the drawing style is different in every one. There's always more to learn and different ways to expand your knowledge of japanese art. I sometimes draw realistic things, scenery, people, whatever. I've found this to be pretty tough though, and it's hard to really grasp a certain technique, since everything is so different from drawing to drawing.

I also love to write, probably more so then draw. Although my writing isn't fantastic or anything, it gives me an outlet for my emotions and something creative to do with my free time. I write about lots of things, and even if it isn't the greatest, it's for me, and that's it. I let people read my stuff but in the end all that matters is whether or not I'm happy with it. I post some of my stuff at Anthology, link is in my sig :p [/SIZE]

I'm really good at drawing and even got the art award at my school. I spend most of my free time draw and my friends know what I mean. Every time they call me I'm drawing or trying to think of something to draw. It really gets them up set.

As for writeing I'm pretty good at that too. I like to write storys and then draw pictures for them. And as you all know anime is my favorite median of art to do.

Art Master :D

[color=#6699cc]When I was a lass, I fell out of love with recess and began bringing books to read outside during lunch hour.

I enjoy writing very much. Stories are tricky because of the level of planning involved (for me; I tend to layer things a bit too much to actually get the story out), so most of my writing appears in papers or here on OB and myO. They are rants and first-person experiences, and I enjoy it. I have fun writing, and I think that's why other people can have fun reading it.

I also enjoy drawing, painting, and sculpting. And while I'm fair to good with them, again, I think it's only because I enjoy them. I have a sculpture from my junior year of high school that is utter crap: I didn't want to do sculpture in that class, I couldn't think of anything to do, and as much as I tried, I couldn't get the project off the ground. The next sculpture I did was voluntary, painstaking, and an idea I loved. It turned out wonderfully. [quote=tangent]I really feel that the biggest part of being "creative" is just that--[i]being creative[/i]. Once you've got an idea or a vision, you can stick with it until is complete, and it will [i]work[/i]. I don't know how much innate "talent" has to do with things, really. I think there's a knack to most endeavors, but the real reason you get "good" is practice, trial and error, and finding a style that works for you.

I hear so many people say to me, "Oh, I wish I were good like you, but I suck at writing/drawing/singing/art." That's really just silly. I could say the same thing about sports to my soccer-fiend friend: "You're so good at soccer. I wish I could do that." But for goodness sake, she's been playing since she was, like, [i]three[/i]. I can't expect to grab a ball and go out there and hold my own against her. No one would expect that to happen! Getting into something new takes determination, persistance, and practice. If you've been doing it all your life, it comes naturally, but that isn't a level playing field or a fair comparison.[/quote][/color]

Guest OneGurl
I myself am an artist, i mostly draw what i see and think of what i can draw...but writing is my worst...i lost count of how many times i tried to write a manga story and failed. :animeswea

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

At heart I'm a writer first and foremost, though my writing is more so limited to stories and fiction rather than poetry, which I find much trickier and tougher to write than the other two. I don't know what it is but poetry just seems to be a section of creative writing which escapes me completely, I can write some yes but it just never seems right. Nowadays all my creative writing is done here on Otakuboards, though before that which wasn't done here was consigned to school work and not of the same calibre which I find I can write here.

Back when I was younger I had an innate talent for drawing and sketching, something brought over from my father who when he does paint is a very accomplished painter. However as I got older I lost touch with drawing as a hobby and my skill eventually faded to an extent where I wouldn't be keen to show anything I doodle or draw to anyone. Still given enough time I suppose I could build it back up again, though seemingly drawing is linked to the right side of the brain where as I'm predominantly a left-brainer. [/SIZE]

I'm a manga-ka but for some reason I always do my best work at night.For that reason I stay ub late all of the time and draw.

[COLOR=FireBrick][SIZE=1]^ Same here! I also work best when the sun's down. Call it an effect of my biological clock but I am most creative at night 'til a few hours before dawn. Sure I wake up cranky and irritable but just a glance of my latest piece is enough to make my day.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I'm better with a pencil (drawing) than anything else, but I can only draw what I see. It's extremely frustrating, since everything I want to draw is in my head. The best I can do is accumulate random items and draw different pieces of the work at different times... but really, who has the attention span for something like that? ;)

Other than art, I have about three million short stories lying around in odd places. Writing is therapeutic... I think everyone should give it a stab.[/COLOR]

Every one who can properly call themselves human has a bit of art in them. It's the one thing that separates us from the animals, that makes us more than a breed of beast that just got really good at surviving.

That said, I most [i]enjoy[/i] writing, drawing, and painting. I feel I can best express myself through them, probably because I've practiced them a lot, because I enjoy them. It's a vicious cycle, I guess.