OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy Series

TailTactics

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Anime Pet][COLOR=Wheat][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I actually got my PS1 in order to play FFVII and FFVIII. :animesmil How's Vagrant Story - maybe I'll check it out.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
[font=trebuchet ms]Info on the game is easy to find. I'll help you out though.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagrant_story[/url]

I loved everything about this game. I think I might play it tonight, lol.[/font]

[quote name='RiflesAtRecess][font=trebuchet ms']I'm really psyched for it due to the fact that the team that made Vagrant Story is working on it. If you haven't played it... well... you suck, and you missed out on a great game. It was in my opinion, the best game to grace the PS1. FFXII apparently delivers FFTA's world with VS's gameplay, I'd love to see that.[/font][/quote][font=Arial][color=darkred]Lol I havent played Vagrant Story, I wanted to I really liked how dark the game was also that you could customize you weapons and such. Bu ya Ivalice is definately making a comeback, though it will be slightly different. The character designer for FF12 did the characters in FF Tatics and Vagrant story (I think Vaan looks alittle like the main character from VS, isnt his name Ashly), Then the art directier has FFIX and Tatics as well, while the man over the production did FFVII. I did some research, I dont know if Im completally accurate though. Maybe I will go hunt down Vagrant Story while i wait for FFXII and KH2[/color][/font]

[quote name='ThoraxtheImpaler']Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: While I think its a great game, its just not my style. It gets to boring to quick. I HATE multiplayer oon this.[/quote]

[color=darkred]Yeah, it is a great game in itself, but I can still think of a few others that match its style (like Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II and Tales of Symphonia) that I'd much rather play instead. But I definitely agree with you on your opinion about the multiplayer mode. It SUCKED, mainly because of the Chalice. There are only two people I know who play video games on the same kind of level that I do, and played FF:CC with me when the game came out -- one's a stingy bastard who would try to stall me into holding the Chalice for as long as possible, and the other would refuse to carry it at all, ultimately meaning us making no progress whatsoever. This really should have been thought out some more by the developers in the interest of fair play. After all, the Chalice is merely a gimmick (a bad one at that), and doesn't have to be there, so why bother.

Perhaps FF:CC DS will give the name justice though.[/color]

[QUOTE=Bombu][color=darkred]Yeah, it is a great game in itself, but I can still think of a few others that match its style (like Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II and Tales of Symphonia) that I'd much rather play instead. But I definitely agree with you on your opinion about the multiplayer mode. It SUCKED, mainly because of the Chalice. There are only two people I know who play video games on the same kind of level that I do, and played FF:CC with me when the game came out -- one's a stingy bastard who would try to stall me into holding the Chalice for as long as possible, and the other would refuse to carry it at all, ultimately meaning us making no progress whatsoever. This really should have been thought out some more by the developers in the interest of fair play. After all, the Chalice is merely a gimmick (a bad one at that), and doesn't have to be there, so why bother.

Perhaps FF:CC DS will give the name justice though.[/color][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Your friends suck then. :p Whenever me and my friends play FFCC, we take turns carrying the chalice. None of us really care, since we always just drop it during combat anyway, unless it needs to be picked up and moved mid-fight.

I never found the chalice to be very cumbersome, though I do hope they get rid of it for the DS version. With each person having their own two screens, you should be able to split up if you want (or need) to. Being able to split up could also be used to expand the variety of gameplay, especially in regards to puzzles. Areas reminiscent of the multiple-party dungeons in FFVI could be a lot of fun in the real time setting of FFCC.[/color]

[color=darkred]If there was online play for FF:CC DS, then that'd be awesome, but it would really just boil down to Square's approach on the matter. I'd say that getting rid of the Chalice, or at least interpreting it in a way that it's not such a nuisance would be a step forward. If it does stay, and it confines you within a limited space in which you can play in, then that'd be no good, especially during multiplayer where there's the possibility of playing with up to eight players all at once on the same screen, because issues such as over-crowded screens and such will start to arise.

I think the DS' second screen would come in handy for the in-game dungeons, seeing as you needed to hook a GBA up with the GameCube in order to view the map, so having it on a plate ready for you would certainly be a good thing. Perhaps other features could be implemented into it too, like the kind of detail that's present in the course maps for Mario Kart DS. I can see how that'd be a great help in a game of FF:CC's style.[/color]

Awesome picture, Hardslash.

Personally, one of my favorite Final Fantasy games is Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. I could probably go on for eons as to why I adore it so..the fantasial, chimerical feel, the music, the brilliantly made world...but I'll leave it at that. The saddest thing is that I cannot have a Gamecube, and so, despite my adoration, I've only played the game twice since it's release. I knew I wanted it the moment I saw the first commercial, years ago. I even bought the soundtrack. I included one of the FFCC pictures I made, below. You can see more at my deviantArt gallery, at [url]http://www.ryo-escalus.deviantart.com[/url]. Be sure to look at the beginning.

I have to agree with Desbreko. The chalice just isn't a big deal. Carry it, drop it, fight, adventure on. However, I don't think they give the single-player mode enough credit. I enjoy it as much as multiplayer - probably more. You don't have to worry about carrying the chalice, and it's a great game to get wrapped up in, and end up playing through the night. *sigh* It truly is one of my very favorite video games...

Oh, and the sole reason I got my DS was when I heard of FFCCDS. Since I am not able to own a system of any sorts, besides handheld and my PC, I thought that I would finally be able to play my beloved Crystal Chronicles. When that game comes out - and it must, I don't know how much longer I can wait - I can die happy.

~RE

I reckon i've done the impossible when it comes to final fantasy games:

I've completed VII WITHOUT a memory card!!

I took up the challenge on the back of the manual. the advert for memory cards, it says on it "try beating VII without it". so I did.

apart from vivi, IX had the worst characters, they all sucked, had crap dialogue, and just, looked wierd. Steiners armor clanking all the time, along with quina's stupid toungue and zidanes tail... *shudder*

[QUOTE=Lord Dante]I reckon i've done the impossible when it comes to final fantasy games:

I've completed VII WITHOUT a memory card!!

I took up the challenge on the back of the manual. the advert for memory cards, it says on it "try beating VII without it". so I did.

apart from vivi, IX had the worst characters, they all sucked, had crap dialogue, and just, looked wierd. Steiners armor clanking all the time, along with quina's stupid toungue and zidanes tail... *shudder*[/QUOTE]
[font=trebuchet ms]Go to GameFAQs, you'd be surprised what people have accomplished and actually wrote strategies for. Try beating the game without saving AND without using materia. I couldn't do it, I got beaten by the beast in the cave that you get Trine from and had to start over.

Also, I really like FFIX, sure, the story wasn't that hot, but it had solid gameplay and some of the best minigames in the series. I've probably played FFIX the most out of all of the FF's, possibly combined. We're talking beating the game 15+ times, shortest time being 11 hours and the longest somewhere in the 200's. I still play the version of Tetra Master that came with Final Fantasy XI, I'm ranked somewhere in the 80's I think, only like 3,000 people play it.[/font]

[quote name='RiflesAtRecess][font=trebuchet ms']Also, I really like FFIX, sure, the story wasn't that hot, but it had solid gameplay and some of the best minigames in the series. I've probably played FFIX the most out of all of the FF's, possibly combined. We're talking beating the game 15+ times, shortest time being 11 hours and the longest somewhere in the 200's. I still play the version of Tetra Master that came with Final Fantasy XI, I'm ranked somewhere in the 80's I think, only like 3,000 people play it.[/font][/quote]I agree with you there RAR. FFIX is one of my favorite FF games, the minigames where awesome, and its also the FF that I've played the most. I found the story quite entrancing, though Steiner and Quina could get annoying I think the had some comic relief. I really enjoyed how it had alot of ties back to the original FFs, I found the characters all to be unique and they each added alittle bit more to the story. I really enjoyed the weapon design, as well as the ability system. Though the fourth disk kind of irritated me, blocking off some of the areas and such. But I really like this game lol.

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=SeaGreen]I got FFVII for Christmas after I found out PS1 games can be used on a PS2. So I got really far in it, and tried to save - and I couldn't!! The people I talked to forgot to mention I need a PS1 memory card to save. :animeangr So I bought one, and then it was defective! So I finally found a PS1 card that works, so I'm happy again. :animesmil Now I just have to beat it.....[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
I've played most all the FF games since they came out on the NES, and I've loved most of them. IX and X are not exactly my faves. However, I loved X-2, right up to the point that my PS2 ate its drive. I was right in the middle if that one and Ace Combat 5- The Unsung War. I almost cried. As soom as I find another job, I'm replacing my PS2. Now, the problem; do I spent $150 for the newer, thinner PS2, or go to the local pawn shop, pick one up for about $30, and save the rest for the PS3? Or get the pawn shop PS2, and save for a PSP? Or the pawn shop PS2, and save for BOTH the PS2 and PSP?

Such weighty questions.

[font=trebuchet ms]Please don't tell me that you have to save up to buy a $30 game console. Go to the store and get the PS2 now! Well, make sure it plays both blue discs and clear ones, ha.

However, I am very happy with my shiny, new, thin PStwo. On some games the graphics are noticably, but not incredibly, better. It's also great to be able to go back and actually play PS1 games on it, since I couldn't play them on my PS2 for several years. I've been tagging back and forth between Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga and Vagrant Story for the past few weeks.

The PSP started out great, but now it's kind of dead, so that's your descision, I sold mine to pay for my PStwo after it kicked the bucket recently.

And just to say something on topic, I adored FFX-2 but didn't enjoy FFX that much. I don't know why I didn't like it, I guess it just hit the wrong nerves or something, then again, I've only played through it once.[/font]

I haven't had anything before X-2 for a while now, since they were my brothers and he wanted them when he moved away.

Ironically, my parents got me a new PS2 to replace his about 2 weeks before the slim-line came out. Doh.

Anyway;

~ FFI-III = Haven't played them.

~ FFIV = Played it and quite liked it, though the constant party member switches could be a bit of a pain. Still haven't finished it, and can't remember where I got up to.

~ FFV = Originally, I liked this, though the novelty ran out after a while. Haven't played it since, though I got reasonably far into it.

~ FFVI = Liked it pretty much the same as FFIV, though I couldn't get into it at first. Last thing I can remember was resolving the whole Terra(?) issue, though I think I got a little further on.

~ FFVII = Played, completed, loved. The plot and gameplay just hit the spot for me, no argument. Managed to defeat Emerald weapon eventually, and bred Chocobos up to mountain/river. I started replaying it, getting Cloud & Aeris' Limits up to Lvl4 in Midgar, but alas - it was taken from me.

~ FFVIII = Also played, completed, loved. Same thing as with VI, it took me quite a while to take a shining to this, but when I grew to like it, I grew to [I]really[/I] like it. The almost complete lack of exploration/backtrack prospects on the last disk was a little disappointing though.

~ FFIX = Played, completed ... erm... enjoyed. Originally ranked quite high on my list, but after playing the others a little more I found it a little too easy. On the whole, the monsters weren't challenging enough, and the skill system made things a little too easy to obtain. Still, nowhere near as bad as some games I've played. *shudders at the thought*

~ FFX = Played, completed, and again enjoyed. The sphere system was great for customisation, unfortunately Yuna's higher Magic ability + breaking into the Black Magic section soon put poor old Lulu out of a job. In fact, Yuna was the strongest - both physically and magically - character in the game for me, for a while, and has
completed the routes of about 3 or 4 other characters aswell as her own. Sure, graphics and sound were the best yet, for obvious reasons, but it just didn't have all the things that made me love VII and VIII so much.

~ FFX-2 = Currently mid-way through Chapter 2, and will probably stay there for a while. Admittedly, I prefer the freeflow battle system to the whole order system of X, but very little else stands out for me. Possibly one of the lowest ratings in the series in my mind, though I think FFV quite comfortably comes lower.

Anything outside of the PlayStation sphere of influence is a mystery to me, seeing as the last Nintendo console I owned was the N64. Ah... back in the days o' the Ocarina...

[I]NO!! Nostalgia... taking... over...[/I] :twitch:

[FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I've beaten FFX-2 numerous times, and I still can't win the Sphere Break contest. It's driving me insane!!

I like FFVII and FFVIII, but I haven't played them in so long. I'm trying to conquer FFX once more......

Yeah, I can see why someone wouldn't care that much for FFX. Personally, I think Tidus is a bit whiny, but that's just me....[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=Anime Pet][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I've beaten FFX-2 numerous times, and I still can't win the Sphere Break contest. It's driving me insane!!

Amen!!!

I've been going at for a while my self and still no luck :mad:
And I got the game when it came out. but thats not the only thing that bugs me.
I still have'nt gottin gippal's shpere. I've gone over it loads of time by reading the book and still no luck.

anyone help!!! :animecry:

[size=1][color=darkred]I still have yet to bring myself to finish the game :animeangr. Personally I don't really enjoy the game all to much it feels so unfamiliar, even compaired to FF: Tatics and FFT:Advance which are also mission based. [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=darkred][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=darkred]I enjoyed the combat, it had a good set up in my eyes, it was one of the few things I actually liked about the game. But still the story just seemed lacking and shallow, not what I've come to expect from the series.[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=darkred]I did enjoy the fact that you could jump but it wasn't as smooth as I liked when trying to do so, but maybe thats my hands betraying me. I also expected more to be shown of Spira, to kinda take you outside the game of FF:X. They did this with some places but overall alot of the places had nothing new and seemed unchanged. I would have liked to see more of bevell, as far as the actuall city goes.[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=darkred]Mmmmm, though maybe I'll take it up again tonight and see if I can finish it once, then maybe I'll try for 100% completion.[/color][/size]

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]What dissapointed me, after I played FFX, was findinding out that a lot of the areas had been cut in size. Sure, you get some new dungeouns, but I would have liked to have all of Luca, or Besaid, back.
I haven't managed to get Gippal's sphere either. I've got the guide, but my bro hid it, so I can't refer to it as of now. On GameFaqs, however, it states that you must find Rin guilty of the Mi'ihen Highway mystery. I was almost able to do that, but I forgot to have a key sphere placed by Shinra earlier on. I was so mad! :mad: [/COLOR][/FONT]

yeah I did the same thing and finding Rin guilty is very tricky. :animeangr :(

but your right about seeing mor of spira. I for one would have liked walking around Zanarkand,Bevelle,besaid and luca.

I like that kilika changed so squar-enix get's point's for that :animesmil

but the thing about X that got me was, how come they had Issaru fight Yuna instead of Dona??? :animestun

I waited the whole game to get a chance to put her in her place but it never happend!!! :mad: what a let down!!!!

I also would have been cool I Rikku could play Blitz Ball :catgirl: :D

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Yeah, I would've loved to play blitz with Rikku. But at least you get Brother, right?
I was wondering that too. I think partly because Dona wasn't as loyal to Yevon as Issaru - remember, once you get back on the airship, she talks about leaving her pilgrimage.
I kinda liked the old Kilika set-up, but the new one was good too. :catgirl: [/COLOR][/FONT]