OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy Series

TailTactics

I dedicate this thread to the final fantasy fan in all of us..we have been torn apart by square enix's crazy anticipation agenda. they also did this the time when FFIX was released, they claimed it was going to be the last of the series. Then they bombarded us with FFX with its new style and look to make fans beg for mercy. (including the new summon command which really caught fans attention) They are bound to do it again with FFXII. If you want a taste of FFXII, FF Advent Children, and the like head over to:

[URL=http://www.ffshrine.org][COLOR=Navy]www.ffshrine.org[/COLOR][/URL]
...and experience the trailer (with subtitles)

So far the story line for twelve looks awsome. As it takes place in Ivalice where Tactics reigned.
For the Record, i have beaten FF 1-x2 (excluding 3) how many FF games have you beaten so far and which games and characters do you like the best? As for me, I like FFX because of the way Tidus connected with his father and Jecht still saw im as his son. My favorite character is (obviously) Auron. The story line wasn't too bad either and the music is also, in my opinion, the best in the series.

EDIT: [B][U]My Final Fantasy experience[/U][/B]:

1. FF 1: defeated the game through Origins. Obtained all items, but not all monsters in Bestiary.

2. FF 2: scrubbed the game. Took me forever to level up spells. At least upgraded fire, ice, and fire on each character to level five. Got all items with an incomplete Beastiary. I disliked the fact that every character that joins your party dies off. Must have bad luck.

3. FF 3: See FF6

4. FF 4: Whipped the game, but still need items to summon stupid monsters like goblin and bomb. Need adament armour. More leveling up.

5. FF 5: Smoked the game. Still need to master all jobs for each character and defeat Omega Weapon along with Shinryu. I let l out the werewolf from prison and he repayed his debt by stealing my treasure hindering my chance to obtain all the items.

6. FF 6: Depleated this game. Gau's blue magic was too overwhelming to complete. I left Mog's water dance behind in the first world. I did enjoy the way espers flowed nicely with the gameplay as well as the storyline. Nice game.

7. FF 7: Decapatated Sephiroth. Story was awsome as well as the few mini games. There was a plethora of summons, magic, and gameplay. Like espers in VI, materia flowed in nicely with gameplay and storyline. Still need to obtain more materia and defeat the weapons. Music was influential.

8. FF 8: Ultimecia could shove herself. This game was prolific with the unique draw ability as well as the new junctioning effect. Storyline was fantastic, and boss battles were spectacular. I've done eveything imaginable in this game except max out each character's stats. Obtained every possible item and card.

9. FF 9: The amount of mini games in this game is overwhelming. It is nearly impossible to obtain Excalibur II, but the story line wasn't the best, but was at least decent. Animation in cut scenes were ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR and gave definition to what true FF fans want to see. Music was decent as well.

10. FF 10: My favorite FF in the series. The summons and ability to level up were taken to a new level and this game (along with Zelda) influenced me to study video game production\programming in college. I enjoyed the story line immensely and the music was purely inspirational. Still need to complete the Monster Arena, obtain each character's Ultimate weapon, get through the Omega Ruins, and get each character around the sphere grid.

---- FF 10-2: Unleashed unevitable wrath upon this game and have 182 hours of gameplay on this game. I have completed every aspect of this game. I have also obtained all dress spheres, every character mastered everything, mastered the Al Bhed language, have all items (even duplicates of the best item, Iron Duke), destroyed blitzball, sacrificed Trema in the Bevelle Underground, and of course gained 100%. The music and animation was awesome. The best part of this game was starting over with all your weapons, items, and mastered abilities. I also enjoyed using Random Reels' 777 (CONGRATS) to obtain 32 Dark Matter from Ultima Weapon as well as experience and a ton of money (about 50,000 gil). Awsome.

11. Only played a very little bit (hardly even sampled the game.) I do plan on picking this game up sometime soon. Heard it is very difficult, especially when leveling up.

12. Played the demo version. Seems pretty kick a** so far (especially the summon); cant wait to play the official game.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I don't think the summoning in ffx was new, because you could summon monstors in ff7. I've played ff x and ff x-2, I didn't play ff7, but I watched my brother play the whole thing, so I know a lot about it. I tried playing prt 1 a long time ago, but I never finished. :animeswea
My favorite Final Fantasy character of all time is vincent. :animesmil I'm into dark characters, and vincent is dark, and he's just plane AWESOME! Auron would have to go second on my list though.

[color=darkred]I've played almost all of the Final Fantasy games, and own half of them, but there are those amongst my collection that I still haven't beat, like FFIX. I wasn't too fond of FFIX for many reasons, mainly because it didn't seem as attractive to me as the others I had played at the time did. For me, it's just a simple matter of preferences, and I wouldn't play a Final Fantasy game, or any other, if I didn't like it, unlike some people I know who'd play it solely for the fact that it's a Square title.

I guess if it wasn't for various revamps and ports such as FF: Dawn of Souls for the GBA and FF: Anthology for the PlayStation, then I wouldn't have played as many FF games as I have.

Amongst the older FF games, I'd say that FFVI was my favourite, putting aside technical stuff that just couldn't be helped at the time, like how slow it plays in comparison to the games of today. I like the characters, the simple-minded humour, the battle system, and believe it or not, the story, though the dialogue leaves much to be desired lol, but eh. I think I'll get FFIII for the DS when it's released, because I still haven't completed FFVI due to the fact that I can't hack how slow it is, and if it'll turn out in any way how FF: Dawn of Souls did, then I'll be super chuffed.

As for the more modern games, it's a tie-in between FFVII and FFX. FFX was a breath of fresh air to me; the battles and the sphere grid particularly, though I can't say the same for the characters seeing as by the time the game was released I had seen pretty much every possible type of character that could've been thrown into an RPG. I enjoyed FFVII because you were forced to be independent, where you had decide for yourself what magic and Materia to equip for each character, unlike FFX for example, were you'd automatically know that Yuna was a Summoner, and Auron excelled in offensive magic and Strength. This whole idea gave the battles an extra edge because you'd have to experiment in order to find the right party members for you.

FF Tactics is my all time favourite, however, mainly because of the customisation aspect involved, along with the need to experiment with certain characters and job classes to reach the party's optimum level. Really, the possibilities are endless with this game. You could decide to have a clan full of Ninjas, or spread it out between offence and defence. Either way, the game steers away from the typical command list that is popular in many RPGs, because you're refrained from simply holding down the action button to constantly select the Attack option. Hehe, I hate that.[/color]

[QUOTE=Howlingvampire4]Actually, I don't think the summoning in ffx was new, because you could summon monstors in ff7. I've played ff x and ff x-2, I didn't play ff7, but I watched my brother play the whole thing, so I know a lot about it. I tried playing prt 1 a long time ago, but I never finished. :animeswea
My favorite Final Fantasy character of all time is vincent. :animesmil I'm into dark characters, and vincent is dark, and he's just plane AWESOME! Auron would have to go second on my list though.[/QUOTE]
in matter of fact, the summon ability was available ever since FFIV. what i meant about summoning was a new style was introduced. They would show Yuna summon an aeon and the characters would run off the screen instead of vanishing in thin air like in the previous titles. Also she was able to fight beside the summoned aeon, which added an unique affect to the series.

[quote name='TailTactics']in matter of fact, the summon ability was available ever since FFIV. what i meant about summoning was a new style was introduced. They would show Yuna summon an aeon and the characters would run off the screen instead of vanishing in thin air like in the previous titles. Also she was able to fight beside the summoned aeon, which added an unique affect to the series.[/quote]

o, ok, now I see what you mean. Now that I think about it, I did used to wonder where the characters went when you summoned something :animeswea

[QUOTE=Bombu][color=darkred][SIZE=1]I've played almost all of the Final Fantasy games, and own half of them, but there are those amongst my collection that I still haven't beat, like FFIX. I wasn't too fond of FFIX for many reasons, mainly because it didn't seem as attractive to me as the others I had played at the time did. For me, it's just a simple matter of preferences, and I wouldn't play a Final Fantasy game, or any other, if I didn't like it, unlike some people I know who'd play it solely for the fact that it's a Square title.

I guess if it wasn't for various revamps and ports such as FF: Dawn of Souls for the GBA and FF: Anthology for the PlayStation, then I wouldn't have played as many FF games as I have.

Amongst the older FF games, I'd say that FFVI was my favourite, putting aside technical stuff that just couldn't be helped at the time, like how slow it plays in comparison to the games of today. I like the characters, the simple-minded humour, the battle system, and believe it or not, the story, though the dialogue leaves much to be desired lol, but eh. I think I'll get FFIII for the DS when it's released, because I still haven't completed FFVI due to the fact that I can't hack how slow it is, and if it'll turn out in any way how FF: Dawn of Souls did, then I'll be super chuffed.

As for the more modern games, it's a tie-in between FFVII and FFX. FFX was a breath of fresh air to me; the battles and the sphere grid particularly, though I can't say the same for the characters seeing as by the time the game was released I had seen pretty much every possible type of character that could've been thrown into an RPG. I enjoyed FFVII because you were forced to be independent, where you had decide for yourself what magic and Materia to equip for each character, unlike FFX for example, were you'd automatically know that Yuna was a Summoner, and Auron excelled in offensive magic and Strength. This whole idea gave the battles an extra edge because you'd have to experiment in order to find the right party members for you.

FF Tactics is my all time favourite, however, mainly because of the customisation aspect involved, along with the need to experiment with certain characters and job classes to reach the party's optimum level. Really, the possibilities are endless with this game. You could decide to have a clan full of Ninjas, or spread it out between offence and defence. Either way, the game steers away from the typical command list that is popular in many RPGs, because you're refrained from simply holding down the action button to constantly select the Attack option. Hehe, I hate that[/SIZE].[/color][/QUOTE]
in FFVI i disliked what Kefka did to Cyan's people, thats the definition of evil. the way Gau had to learn his blue magic abilities was frustrating. also i missed Mogs 'water dance' because i couldnt get it in the second world :mad:
in FFX you could be very independant, it just matters what you do with your spheres (especially when you begin to get black and white magic spheres.) i believe the true challange in this game is to get all the characters around the sphere grid, or in another words, teach [I]everyone[/I] all the abilities. Come to think of it i've never beaten the monster arena.. :animeswea .
Im waiting until FF3 for DS also, unless i dont have time for it, well either way.. :whoops:

[COLOR=Plum][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The final fantasy series are awesome!!!!the best rpg ive ever played.with great storylines and wonderful music.i loved them.i have all exept 11 and 12 which hasnt come out yet.i havent played all of them tho.only 7,8,9,10,10-2 and ff tactics.

my favorite character mustve been....squall.hes kool.and i love his personality.rinoa and him just make a perfect couple.the storyline was great too.with a nice happy ending.u could say it was one of my fave of the ff series.

i like ff 7 too.[spoiler]but it was such a shame that aeris died.-.- and cloud had mental issues.lol.[/spoiler]but sephiroth was just plain kool!hes the best villain of the ffs.

as for ff9 it was never really one of the greatest.i mean it was good but not as good as i expected.i guess the characters werent that great.

and ffx was a blast with its ps2 graphics.it was great!and i liked the aoen deal too.it does add unique effects.but the ending was sad and very dramatical.but none the less good.

ffx-2 was a whole new thing.more action and same great graphics.but less characters to choose from which was a shame.story was good still.

so overall the ff series were great.if u havent played them.ur missing out on lots.lol.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Technically, you could summon in FF3j by choosing the job caller. NEway, I think FF and FF3j were some of the best. I was really disappointed by nintendo when they tried to remake FF and FF2 because they were just sad. They made them way to easy. In FF, everything was cheaper and you had more money. In FF2, after 2 battles, you got your first weapon level up. Bad call nintendo, bad call.

[quote name='Violet Link']...Technically, you could summon in FF3j by choosing the job caller. NEway, I think FF and FF3j were some of the best...[/quote]
I would know that if i had played the game, and [I]technically[/I] FFVI and FFIII in the US is the same. I just haven't played the variation for the SNES.
(Check the bottom that link to understand what im saying)

[URL=http://www.ffonline.com/ff6/][COLOR=Navy]http://www.ffonline.com/ff6/[/COLOR][/URL]

So when i said IV and up, i meant III also.

No, I ment FF3j on the NES. Look it up. You start out with 4 kids who all have a knife, clothes, and a leather helm. You collect points from battle and can use them to change your job. You get new jobs after you find a crystal. Kind of like FFV, but way better and longer. It was only released in Japan but I'm hoping they make it on GBA since I can't get a DS.

My FF experience...

FF1: Own and beaten it. It took around 40 hours, with complete bestiary. Great game, but too easy. Omega, though... holy ****.

FF2: Got around half-way through, aand was completely hating it until I realised I had really screwed up XD. Its okay I guess, I lost it though.

FF3: Can't wait for the DS remake!

FF4: I can never flippin find it!

FF5: I have only played a really litle bit of this (Im in the pirate cove at the beginning) I don't like it that much. The story is disturbingly bad. The graphics are disturbingly bad for a SNES game. And the battles are kinda boring.

FF6: I'm around 1/4 of the way through and so far it's a pretty good game. I love the town setups. First real sign of unique charachters.

FF7: I'm at the very end of disk 1 [spoiler](before Aeris dies I guess)[/spoiler] and so far I'm liking it though there are some weird plotholes.... I love the Sephiroth, Tifa, and Cloud backstory.

FF8: With this one I'm around the beginning of disk 2. At first I was loving it, but it started to get REALLY boring. I mean seriously its completely and utterly pointless. Did the people actually hear the summoner lady calling them all idiots? [spoiler]Did they really not notice her splatter the President?[/spoiler]

FF9: XD this is a really good (and pretty hard) RPG with a great story, but I'm still in the ice cave at the beginning. That stupid black mage is to freiking hard! I need to level up more.

FF10: Man... I got all the way to Seymore version 3 only to find that I had screwed up with Tidus' sphere grid and have to start over.

FF10-2: I have it, but I want to beat FF10 first.

FF11: Slimy bastards, putting FF in the name for sales. I can't get it cuz my computer sucks.

I also have both FF tactics and tactics advanced and crystal chronicles.

[color=#4B0082]Added spoiler tags in the FFVII bit. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

[font=trebuchet ms]You could use some spoiler tags up in your FFVII part, Thorax. :)

I've played them all and beaten most of them. Gameplay-wise, I like FFV and FFVIII the best; story-wise, FFIV, FFVI, and FFVIII.

I tend to like a lot of the Final Fantasies that people tend to hate, I liked FFX-2, especially compared to X, I hated spending 5-10 minutes 'leveling up' after a battle. A lot of people dissed FFVIII due to the Aura spell, saying it was too easy. I enjoyed the story, the setting, characters, style, gameplay, everything better than any other Final Fantasy. I also loved the side-quests, you know, where you talk to the lake and chase a monkey around the world? Fun stuff.[/font]

[QUOTE=ThoraxtheImpaler][SIZE=1]My FF experience...

FF1: Own and beaten it. It took around 40 hours, with complete bestiary. Great game, but too easy. Omega, though... holy ****.

FF2: Got around half-way through, aand was completely hating it until I realised I had really screwed up XD. Its okay I guess, I lost it though.

FF3: Can't wait for the DS remake!

FF4: I can never flippin find it!

FF5: I have only played a really litle bit of this (Im in the pirate cove at the beginning) I don't like it that much. The story is disturbingly bad. The graphics are disturbingly bad for a SNES game. And the battles are kinda boring.

FF6: I'm around 1/4 of the way through and so far it's a pretty good game. I love the town setups. First real sign of unique charachters.

FF7: I'm at the very end of disk 1 (before Aeris dies I guess) and so far I'm liking it though there are some weird plotholes.... I love the Sephiroth, Tifa, and Cloud backstory.

FF8: With this one I'm around the beginning of disk 2. At first I was loving it, but it started to get REALLY boring. I mean seriously its completely and utterly pointless. Did the people actually hear the summoner lady calling them all idiots? [spoiler]Did they really not notice her splatter the President?[/spoiler]

FF9: XD this is a really good (and pretty hard) RPG with a great story, but I'm still in the ice cave at the beginning. That stupid black mage is to freiking hard! I need to level up more.

FF10: Man... I got all the way to Seymore version 3 only to find that I had screwed up with Tidus' sphere grid and have to start over.

FF10-2: I have it, but I want to beat FF10 first.

FF11: Slimy bastards, putting FF in the name for sales. I can't get it cuz my computer sucks.

I also have both FF tactics and tactics advanced and crystal chronicles[/SIZE].[/QUOTE]

Not a bad idea with the list you have on the game experience with FF series. I think ill update my first thread on the top of this page with that idea. :D

Anyway, i tend to like FFV and trust me when i say that i thought the game was crappy also, that was my first take on it. Then [U]exactly[/U] 44 hours later i beat the game with the story's plot fresh in my memory and it came out as a good game to me. I always tend to over look the tiny obstacles (graphics) to reap a better reward, defeating the FF series!!

The only thing that gets me angry about the series is the "lost forevers" when you either switch to another disk or get farther in the game and cant go back. You can miss [U]critical[/U] items because of it. I beleive square did this to up the replay value on the FF series (like it needs it :animesmil ) FFIV was great too, (hope you find it).

What is really crazy is I basically dedicated a summer to complete FFX-2. I am a crazy FF fan. Look, i have everything possible to obtain in that game (except Gippal's sphere. dang that Gippall's sphere.) but everything else i have including maximum upgrades and the best items. Also i mastered Blitzball in that game. What i really enjoyed about FF-X2 is the replay value because you are able to start over with all your items also you get to go listen to music and watch previous movies you obtained during the story in Luca (this was enabled in FFX and X2). All the FFs should have been like this. FFVI was getting there with the whole music option, but didnt quite reach expactation although the monster info was very helpful for figuring out Gau's abilities in what he has and doesn't have. What was great in that game was the variety of characters available. What i disliked was the fact that toward the end i realized i didnt have Mog's water dance ability which is only available in the other world. (but luckily i saved near it)

The only thing i liked about FFIX was the story line, ViVi, and Kuja. The cutscenes were simply amazing in that game and they focused a lot on the summons, which is really two thumbs up for Square Enix. The downside was too many mini-games and having to play them to get a high ranking and beat the game to the upmost extent. But ultimately.. having to rush through the game in under twelve hours to get Excalibur Two was the biggest disappointment this game had to offer.

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=Teal]I love any final fantasy...I have played each one but not the whole way through...not one...I wish I could though. It's not that I can't beat them...it's that I usually borrow them...and can't beat them in time...I usually have about a day with them. Has anyone played...the...first ones? Or tactics advance? or crystal chroncicles?[/COLOR][/FONT]

umm... did you read my post??? Anyway, my op. on them.

Final Fantasy Tactics: XD I havent played it but I own it

Final Fantasy Tactis Advanced: I really like this game, although beating all the missions and getting all the techs will drive even the most stable men insane. I love that there are 300 missions, but almost all of them are optional so people can play owever much they want. Not to mention the clan wars.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: While I think its a great game, its just not my style. It gets to boring to quick. I HATE multiplayer oon this.

I remember when I first played Final Fantasy, it was the greatest game I ever played in which I went on to play other games.

My FF experience:
Final Fantasy 1: This is a great game and I wish they didn't remake this game so badly... I enjoy my lack of money and magic per day not mass money and MP. The original FF was hard and the remake is just plain easy.

Final Fantasy 2: I couldn't figure this game out. I practically quit halfway through because I could find that one item that I needed to ask millions of people for and the fixed random battles.

Final Fantasy 4: The first FF I played. It was the most fun I ever had when I was young. Cecil and Kain were the two characters sort of central characters but my favourite character is obviously FuSoYa. Who can resist the Lunarian charms?

Final Fantasy 5: I went through about a quarter of the game then I stopped due to extreme boredom of the game. The job system was just a bit too tedious.

Final Fantasy 6: Simply one of the greatest games on the SNES. I highly recommend this game to anyone. Character designs, music, and story are all great and Kefka is so evil it's frightening. This game is simply the ultimate combination of everything a great game makes.

As you can see, I have played anything beyond FF7. If I had a PS or PS2, I probably would have played them but for now, I'm going to keep playing various games and maybe attempt to finish/understand Final Fantasy 2 and 5. :animesigh

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Final Fantasy Tatics would have to be my all time favorite. I loved the charcters, the backstory plus with the customization. I also like all the bonus characters and quests. Whenever I think of zodiac signs it comes to mind. Plus the characters are cute lol :animeswea [/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=darkred][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=darkred]I really enjoyed final fantasy VII it was the 2cd one I played though the first one that I was at an age to comprehend what was going on. This game has my all time favorite character Vincent. CLoud and Red XIII come in close also. I am totally stoked for Advent Children.[/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=darkred]FFVIII took me a little while to grasp but once I did I loved it. I love the gunblade and how it can make battles alittle more active. The story has plenty of twists which I like, plus Squall is awesom.[/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=darkred]FFIX is probably my second favorite, I just love the story for the most part, disk four kinda sucks. But i like how they looked for inspiration with the previous Final fantasies, such as bringing back 4 characters the classes are closer to the original. Plus the cut scenes are beautiful.[/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=darkred]FFX I like alot I really enjoyed the battle system, as well as blitzball. The animation i dont think i need to say anything about its breathtaking. I liked how they changed the travel system eliminating the world map.[/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=darkred]I have Final Fantasy I, II, IV, V and X-2. FFI I've started and I've just leveled up my classes. FFII I really like the story alot, and the battle system is practical in a sense but tedious in others. FFIV and V I've yet to start and FFX-2 I really dont like all that well im at the final boss but i cant bring myself to finish him off.[/color][/font]

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Hey! I'm a huge fan of FF - I actually played FFX-2 first, by mistake. It's what got me into the series. After that I got FFX, and then FFVIIand VIII. I've beaten X and X-2, but I'm still working on the others.
FF12 looks like it's gonna be worth the wait. What do you guys think? :p [/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Yeah, it really bit that it was delayed, but I'm hoping it was worth the wait. But I know I'm going to get it no matter what. :animesmil
I wanted to get FF Online, but I wasn't able to. :animecry: I'm still not sure if that's a good thing or not, but once I'm able to get it, I'm gone![/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='ThoraxtheImpaler']Not to sound like another FF fanatic, but I think 12 looks great. I'm loving the battle system idea so far. Not to mention the graphics are insane.[/quote]

[color=darkred]Same here. I'd also like to know how the whole system of getting random monsters on the overworld to help you by taking out other monsters works out.[/color]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]I am way excited for XII, mainly because, I cant remember lol if its the director, or producer is the man responsible for Final Fantasy Tatics, which is my favorite FF game. The battle system sounds awesome, I like how its going to have more strategy elements.[/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=darkred] I havent been following it that closely lately, it helps not knowing the due date so when it gets delayed you dont know the difference.:animeswea [/color][/font]

[COLOR=Plum][FONT=Book Antiqua]I guess you've got a point. I kinda like the idea of random battles like in FFX - or were we going to be able to see them?? Sometimes I get so confused!! ;) Anyway, it forces me to level up and fight. Sometimes I get POed at it, because I keep trying to do something, and instead I keep fighting, but that's not often. Maybe that's part of the reason I like FF......
I think I like FFX better than X-2 because there were so many different options in FFX. I especially liked the Sphere Grid. It made the random battles easier to bear, because then I'd just think of all the sphere levels and items I'd get out of it.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=shadowofdeath13][font=Arial][color=darkred]I am way excited for XII, mainly because, I cant remember lol if its the director, or producer is the man responsible for Final Fantasy Tatics, which is my favorite FF game. The battle system sounds awesome, I like how its going to have more strategy elements.[/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=darkred] I havent been following it that closely lately, it helps not knowing the due date so when it gets delayed you dont know the difference.:animeswea [/color][/font][/QUOTE]
[font=trebuchet ms]I'm really psyched for it due to the fact that the team that made Vagrant Story is working on it. If you haven't played it... well... you suck, and you missed out on a great game. It was in my opinion, the best game to grace the PS1. FFXII apparently delivers FFTA's world with VS's gameplay, I'd love to see that.[/font]