OtakuBoards

A Quiet Passing

Cyriel

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]Has anyone else noticed the date today? If you did, what did you think?

Honestly, I can say that I didn't think about the 2,986+ lives taken in less than the span of two and a half hours. I didn't think about the fear and pain that the victims went through before death. I didn't think about the pain and tears that it still causes now. And I didn't think of the hijacking of four planes, the falling of two towers, the catastrophe at one of our government's most important focal points, or the brief, heroic efforts in the skies over Pennsylvania.

To say it honestly, I forgot. Plain and simple. I didn't remember.

[B][CENTER][I]September 11, 2001[/I].[/CENTER][/B] The second Pearl Harbor, the second 'Day of Infamy.' It was fire, and smoke, and ash. It was two hundred people jumping to their deaths to escape death by burning. It was box-cutters being used to turn planes into the "largest suicidal bombs in history" (Wikipedia). It was Todd Beamer and Jeremy Glick attempting to regain control of their aircraft, and coining the catchprase "Let's roll" that now symbolizes American valor. It was millions of students being filled by the images and sounds on television at school, and coming to a solemn realization. It was family members all over the country getting last phone calls from their loved ones.

I remember one of my teachers saying that this was a day that we would remember forever. We would remember the exact time we heard the news, what we were doing, eating, wearing. We would remember our first initial reaction, and then the overwhelming effusion of emotion afterwards. It was kind of funny, because I [I]didn'[/I]t remember. When the teacher said that, I had to [I]try[/I] to remember, because I thought something would be wrong with me if I didn't remember everything about that day, and if I couldn't recall it in the future. Yes, I remember, but only because I thought I was supposed to, and it holds no real meaning for me.

What I [I]do[/I] remember is the fact that the 9/11 attacks opened up a whole new world for me. I had never even heard of the WTC Twin Towers before, much less a Somerset County, Pennsylvania, or Camp David. I guess you could call me a very sheltered girl, in a small city in the sparsely-populated state of Idaho. Because of their blazing ends, I finally became aware of them. When I got home from school later that day, my mother was sitting in front of the television crying. It felt kind of...odd, to me. Perhaps the enormity of the situation was too hard to grasp for a 13-year old freshman, who had never had a personal encounter with death. This wasn't really any more personal either.

But I remember asking her, "Why are you crying?" I was afraid that someone we had known had died in the attacks.
And her answer... Well, she shook her head. She said that she was crying because she was sad. And that's when it finally dawned on me that these were real people dying, and that we were allowed to feel sorrow and pain for people we didn't know, and never would, both living and dead. The only time in the whole aftermath of the attacks that I came close to crying was a year later, I think. It was the anniversary of 9/11, and since only a year had passed, it was still very raw in everyone's mind. There was a newspaper spread, with full-page, full-color pictures, and one of them was a heart-stopping photograph of a person falling through the air as he jumped head-first out of the building. It shook me to the core, and tears came unbidden, although I managed in the end to suppress them.

Although I (and I know many others) may complain of the cruelty of our race, or the insolence of the U.S., and the pompous and purely materialistic nature of our world, I must say the the depth of human compassion has always amazed me. How is it that we can feel sorrow and grief for one another, when some of us will never meet in our lifetimes? Directly after the attacks, there was enormous surge of patriotism around the country. There was an overwhelming gratitude toward servicemen and women not only in NYC, but the entire country as well. And there was also an unprecedented relief effort, with a dramatic increase in the number of blood donations, as well as the generosity of other donations as well. The country (and parts of the world) had a sense of unity as not felt since WWII.

But now...well, now what? My first thoughts this morning when I woke were not about the events of September 11, 2001. No, I thought instead about getting ready for church - and even there they mentioned nothing. It wasn't until about 4 p.m. when I spotted a small online news headline that it hit me that it was 9/11. No one has mentioned it at all today. And I ask myself...how could I forget? Have we all forgotten? And I felt such a stirring of...guilt, and disrespect. How could I forget such loss of life, such tremendous catastrophe, such sacrifice?

Yet, as I think about it now, I have to question this too. Is this just a part of the healing process? I don't believe that it's just a simple act of negligence - it is not in our nature to disregard such a dramatic and enormous loss. Some people say that time can heal all wounds, and I wonder if this is what is happening. But on the other hand, are we being disrespectful for those who are so bereaved? At what point is it acceptable to...well, to forget? Or perhaps to honor those who have made such sacrifice, should we remember every infinitesimal detail? Is it an act of betrayal not remember? And yet, how are we supposed to heal the wounds if we remember?

[B]How do we heal?[/B]

I think the question was valid then, and now, as in all great catastrophes of the human race. This is not only for 9/11, but for the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Hurricane Katrina, and all other events come and gone, and for those that will undoubtedly occur in the future. We are such creatures of compassion, as well as resourcefulness - we have the ability to feel overwhelming pain and sorrow, and yet still carry on with our day to day lives. How? How is it that we heal ourselves? And what is the proper and respectful way to carry out the process of healing? How can we forget, and still remember? Let go, and still keep precious those things lost?

Prayers for the people.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Georgia]I noticed that too.

I woke up this morning and wasn't really thinking all that much about what day it was. I got online and went to check my email when I noticed what day it was on the news thing. I thought to myself, "Woah...I can't believe I forgot."

For the rest of the day, it kind of stayed in the back of my mind. All the flags at half-mast reminded me all throughout the day. Also, my dad was watching a lot of the TV specials that they aired today.

I think the reason that so many people didn't give a thought to what day it was is that there are so many other things going on in the world. The biggest of which being Hurricane Katrina clean-up right here at home. And I'm not sure if it's really compassion that helps us heal. It's more like ignorance. We feel that if we ignore it, it won't seem so big of a problem.

I know that there are tons of people out there who think that I'm nuts for saying this, but there are people out there like that. I'm sure that there are people out there that at least said a prayer or two for the innocent lives taken that day, but others ignored it because it wasn't a present problem. "It's in the past and not worth thinking about" sort of thing.

Still, those kinds of people don't change what day it is. What happened on that day. The millions of tears cried. The thousands of families who would never see their brother or father or cousin again. That's why I thought about today. [/FONT] [/SIZE]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Before I say anything Id just want to say I might be up in the night with what I say, hopefully this doesnt offend anyone, this is just how i feel as a person. Though if you are offended you have my apologies.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Your right, today when I got out of bed the thought that it was 9/11 did not strike me. That it was the anniversary of a day that is going to be in history books, and that one day our grandchildren might come up and ask what do you remember about 9/11. As of right now I can say not much, I remember going to school aware that something had happened but not aware yet of the full damage. [/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]I think not knowing every detail of the attacks is not a betrayal to those who died, or those who sacrificed themselves to try and make a difference. Whether it is the Firefighter who went in for one last person, or as you stated Jeremy Glick and Todd Beamer, who decided to try and best the hand that had been given to them. I think the true betrayal to those who have died and lost, would be to not learn from the loss. To remain ignorant of the on goings in the world, to not let the media control your grasp on what you know. This is something that I need to heed to as well. I do not remember the specifics of the attack, but I do remember sitting in my World Studies class and watching "Why U.S." though not as much as I like.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]The thing that bugs me the most with catastrophic events such as 9/11, or Hurricane Katrina. Is what would I have done in the same position? These events are tragedies but I believe they are the true measure of human kindness and cooperation. These events are the things that engourage people to strive for a better life, and a better tomorrow. [/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Even though I might not be thinking about those who have died before me, I think that me as well as others should remember the past, but focus on honoring it with the future that we are able to shape. That we honor them with every step we take in the right direction, every good deed we do, and with every breath we take. That we look apon all as equals, and stop on our path to help another who struggles. hat is how I will try to honor them.[/color][/font]

Heh. I think the only passing of the day that I noticed was one news report quickly noting that some parents and loved ones had some gathering at "ground zero" and some one yelling "HAPPY BOMB AMERICA DAY ALL!" on IRC.

I just don't care at all. Though since then we've had two (pointless?) wars that have made my petrol costs painful and increased the chances that I personally may come under attack. A tsunami that killed hundreds of thousands of people and several famines that went unmet leading to the deaths of further hundreds of thousands. I think I'm entitled to just not bother with a few deaths in a building that one country thinks is more important four years after the fact. ...Maybe every one else has come to the same conclusion?

To quote Southpark - Nothing to see here, move along.

Two pointless wars?

Sorry, I've fought in support of both of them. They're not pointless to me. When you see the happiness on the faces of the people that we've liberated....I don't like paying the price of gas nowadays, but I'd rather pay the price of gas now and know that we've helped people that we're in a lot worse position than we are....

Sorry, just got kind of annoyed at that comment....staying on topic....

I was a Junior in High School, and I was tossing on my ROTC Uniform and talking to my boss at Einstein Bros. Bagels on the phone, when my dad came into my room and said to turn on the TV because a plane just hit the WTC. I thought nothing of it, possibly some idiot that lost control of his Piper. I turned on the TV and saw a gaping hole. First Thoughts: 'Oh. ****'. Then I watched as the Second Jet collided. I was shocked.

I got on the bus to go to school, and in the chaos of the morning, had forgotten my ID (which was mandatory to wear). I went to the office, and they had a TV plugged in. I signed out my ID and saw the First Tower collapse. Thats all we did in my 3rd Period English Class, was watch the news, mostly because my English Teacher was from the Bronx.

I of course noticed the date of yesteday too. I can't believe it's been four years... Although so much has happened since then.

Honestly and frankly speaking, four years is quite enough time to stop wallowing in self-pity. Of course it was a catastrophic event that touched millions of lives, but seriously, worse has happened before and after that!

Last Christmas, anyone? [I]Hundreds of thousands [/I] of lives were lost in a sweep of a tidal wave.

Last month, anyone? An estimated [I]ten thousand[/I] people died because of a single hurricane.

Last century, anyone? [I]Millions and millions[/I] of lives ended in two world-wide wars, hundreds of smaller battles, concentration camps, floods, storms, fires, bombings, accidents, homicides, genocides, crashing cars and planes and ships, at their homes and outdoors...

My point is, **** happens but people get over it.

I'm not saying people should forget 9/11, just don't make such a big deal out of it!

[font=franklin gothic medium]I agree and disagree with Sage. On the one hand, it's true that there are many other issues in the world that go unnoticed (especially given the scale).

On the other hand, September 11th was a specific tragedy in America. Americans deserve to feel the gravity of that and to remember it as they do. I mean, if such an event had happened in the capital of Finland, I would not think that the people there shouldn't mark the event in whatever way they choose.

I also think that a terrorist attack is different from a natural disaster, in the sense that it's a man-made issue (or should I say, in the sense that it's a kind of act of war). A natural disaster is something that nobody can stop or really prevent to any great degree (at least in terms of something like the recent tsunami), but human acts are important to focus on because they are the symptom of larger issues that need to be resolved.

Still, the day did pass without me really thinking about it to any great extent. I did think about it, but it doesn't rule my life and it isn't something that I would want to dwell on forever - even if I were an American. Most importantly I think it's worth learning various lessons from the event and if it's given me some kind of more rounded perspective, then that is something I will carry with me, which will always be a positive (rather than just being unhappy or depressed whenever I think about it).[/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]As James said, I agree and Disagree with you Sage.[/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=darkred][/color][/font]
[font=Arial][color=darkred]Though I think some of what you say is valid and I morn over any great loss of life, though I believe there is a difference between some of the events you listed. The events that have taken place most recently have been that of nature, something that we can't control and accept. 9/11 and the lives lost in WWI and WWII bring to light the endless amount of cruelty the human species can cause. It is something so close because we are all human, but so foreign in the fact few of us will ever feel or inflict such a thing. I am not saying we should make a big deal out of 9/11 just learn as much as possible from it, I say the same thing about all the wars, and natural disaters of the past. I'm just not so willing to tread lightly on what has cost so many people so much to attain, our lives as we know it are built on foundations of blood and bone. [/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]If we do not learn from the past we are bound to repeat it. [/color][/font]

Sorry if I sounded blunt, but I was really trying to make the same point as you, Jamesy and shadowofdeath13.

However, I can't help to feel a bit ticked by the arguably American way of blowing things out of proportion. When 9/11 occurred, we heard about if for months and months in the media, and the consequences are still visible. The headlines blared "World Grieves" and "World-wide Sorrow", and all the countries sent consolences to the States. The fact that the number "9/11" has become a "thing" reveals something!

There have been many incidents for example in Indonesia where terrorist bombings have killed many more people, but we (referring to us western "civilized" countries) don't know the dates, we don't hear sobby stories from there, we haven't send any massive amounts of aid there, we haven't even thought about it!

Why? Because they don't have the capacity to make it big news. USA has, and it has used it to it's own advantage - quite ruthlessly, I might add.

The whole "you're either with us or against us"-mentality is something extremely wrong, and it all boils down to the events in 9/11.

[I]Of course [/I] it is an important date to the Americans, [I]of course [/I] they have the right to mourn, but why does America (in general) keep rubbing it in other countries faces after four years?!

To comment on James's question if Helsinki (the capital of Finland) was to face something like 9/11... Of course we in this country would be devastated, but I frankly don't believe other countries would think about it much - we aren't a part of NATO, there are only 5 million people living here, we are located to the northernmost corner of Europe... I just don't think others would care. We wouldn't certainly get our own, world-wide date of mourning!

[font=franklin gothic medium]The point I was making about Finland was not related to any other country. I was just saying that for you personally, it's something you'd probably mark with more seriousness and gravity because it happened in your own nation.

So in that sense, Americans are justified. In terms of world reaction, I don't know - I think it was fair enough. The media covered September 11 in a reasonable way I think, for the most part. Yes, there was some over-coverage. But those attacks were more devastating than many of the other terror attacks in recent times (including those in Indonesia). So in that sense, it has some further international significance.

Don't forget that when the two big attacks occurred in Africa, the news were focusing on that for ages. Perhaps not as intensively as 9/11, but at the time, it was difficult to watch anything else.

So the fact that it's happened in America and been big...part of that is just to be expected. Part of it is no doubt due to American networks being more prominent, but part of it is also due to the scale of it and the fact that it occurred in such a major city, where the economic impacts were felt far more broadly.

So you know, it's not all necessarily so American-centric for no reason. But I do understand the frustration when we get nothing else. It's like the hurricane Katrina - yes, that's a terrible tragedy and it should be covered. But not 24/7, at the expense of all other global news. When situations like that occur, I turn over to other channels to hear what the rest of the world is up to - I flick back to the American stations when I want an update or something.[/font]

[COLOR=#FF374C][SIZE=1]Forgive me for this will be a short post, but I hope it gets my point across.

9/11 did not only mark a terrible day for Americans, but I believe it marked the start of something much bigger. It was a warning, a signal, whatever you want to call it.

I knew it would only be a matter of time before the other big countries were hit. Example? The London Bombings. I know it may not be exactly the same people but it is the same followers saying that they are doing it for whatever religion they wish to follow.

9/11, as a date and an event is remembered because of not only the horror and scale of what happened, but also the repercussions.

Sage, please consider other people when you go about making blasé comments about how America is "Rubbing it in peoples faces" when they are only grieving a massive loss.

How long do you think people grieved about WW1 and WW2? Oh, that's right, we're still grieving it and people still have to go through the horror of what they experienced during those events.

Things like this, man-made acts, as James pointed out, are remembered because people have feelings for the families and others who lost people. Just because [I]you[/I] don't deem it important to [I]yourself[/I] doesn't mean others have the same view.

I apologise if this seemed disjointed, I knew what I wanted to say but I found getting it across to be rather difficult. My apologies.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I was a freshmen in high school. I was in my Earth Science class when I heard about it, it was all over the tvs in school, and there's practically a tv in every room so it was hard to miss.

My mom took my brother and I out of school that day because she thought we would be scared. I was. It felt strange thinking of all those people, we were all glued to the tv. We stayed home from school the next day.

I agree with you aswell James. I do feel it is a big deal even now, since its in my Country. I don't hear about it much anymore of televison anymore anyway, not even yesterday. So I think alot of us have gotten over the shock, except those who lost loved ones and friends.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Crap just happens.

Hurricane Katrina's aftermath is still really big in the news, so that's why some didn't realize what day it was. But, how many memorial days, president days, and other holidays pass without us thinking of the holiday and what people did for us?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I remembered it was 9/11 - but I didn't alltogether care, no use ruining my day with mourning. Nontheless, it was a tragic event - although, if you wanna play 'Who's suffered the most', it's not the worst tragedy in recent years, not even close. The biggest effect wasn't even the tragic one - hell, I'll bet the surge of patriotism and massive spending spree by panic-stricken people helped the US' econamy - but the sense of vulnerability that the US recieved - the sense of invulnerability was shattered.

That said, I had other things to remember this week. The 25th aniversity of Terry Fox's Marathon of Hope is this year, and there is a huge run being orginized cross-Canada, to set the Guiness World Record for the biggest orginised somthing or other. The 10th aniversity of the 1995 'Breaking Point' was also this year - and trust me whe I say that the images from Unity Square put the surge of American Patriotism to shame - which I was also focused on. There are so many things going on now that I just can't be bothered with relativly small tragedy of 9/11.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Well given that it's the twelfth today, I suppose this post may be a bit out of date. Like most people, it wasn't until someone actually said to me that it was September 11th yesterday that I realised it's been four years since 9/11, and even then I had a hard time believing it's been four years. I don't honestly recall exactly where I was when I heard about 9/11, I know I was in school but actually where in school I don't remember. When I got home I flicked straight over to the news and just couldn't believe that something like that could happen, or why someone would do something like that.

Yesterday was the All-Ireland Hurling Final, so I didn't get huge opportunity to watch to news, but it seemed that there was relatively little coverage of it compared to say Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath. My thoughts on the subject are pretty much the same as James', while we outside of America may not see the event in the same gravity Americans might, that doesn't mean they don't have the right to grieve. While events like Hurricane Katrina are tragic, the are natural disasters and there's nothing sinister about them, terrorist attacks however are completely sinister and there in lies the difference.[/SIZE]

It is not the date that is so important. It is the lives of those who were lost that matters. It is easy to think that just because someone didn?t mention 9/11 or the date of some other tragedy that they have forgotten when in fact it may be on their minds quite a bit.

Grieving over a lost loved one is not limited to only the day that they died. In many ways the pain never ends. But as time passes it begins to soften just a bit. You still miss them but you no longer think about it endlessly.

Just because a huge display was not made over the event does not mean that people no longer care. I may not think about it on the anniversary of the day it happened, but I could hardly forget such an event.

[QUOTE=indifference]It is not the date that is so important. It is the lives of those who were lost that matters. It is easy to think that just because someone didn?t mention 9/11 or the date of some other tragedy that they have forgotten when in fact it may be on their minds quite a bit.

Grieving over a lost loved one is not limited to only the day that they died. In many ways the pain never ends. But as time passes it begins to soften just a bit. You still miss them but you no longer think about it endlessly.

Just because a huge display was not made over the event does not mean that people no longer care. I may not think about it on the anniversary of the day it happened, but I could hardly forget such an event.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the date isn?t what really matters. I didn?t think about 9/11 yesterday but that doesn?t mean I forgot about all the people who died. I still remember what I was doing when I found out about it. It was my day off from work and I was playing a computer game when my father told me about a plane crashing into the building. I thought he was kidding since my dad likes to joke about things. Unfortunately he was not joking this time.

I hardly think that a public display over lost loved ones is a true indicator of whether or not people actually care. I don?t think that such displays of concern have to be on the specific date either. I say that as I lost my brother to a tragic accident over 10 years ago. It has been long enough that although I know the month he died I no longer remember the exact date and time. It doesn?t stop me from caring or missing him.

[QUOTE=Sage]Sorry if I sounded blunt, but I was really trying to make the same point as you, Jamesy and shadowofdeath13.

However, I can't help to feel a bit ticked by the arguably American way of blowing things out of proportion. When 9/11 occurred, we heard about if for months and months in the media, and the consequences are still visible. The headlines blared "World Grieves" and "World-wide Sorrow", and all the countries sent consolences to the States. The fact that the number "9/11" has become a "thing" reveals something!

There have been many incidents for example in Indonesia where terrorist bombings have killed many more people, but we (referring to us western "civilized" countries) don't know the dates, we don't hear sobby stories from there, we haven't send any massive amounts of aid there, we haven't even thought about it!

Why? Because they don't have the capacity to make it big news. USA has, and it has used it to it's own advantage - quite ruthlessly, I might add.

The whole "you're either with us or against us"-mentality is something extremely wrong, and it all boils down to the events in 9/11.

[I]Of course [/I] it is an important date to the Americans, [I]of course [/I] they have the right to mourn, but why does America (in general) keep rubbing it in other countries faces after four years?!

To comment on James's question if Helsinki (the capital of Finland) was to face something like 9/11... Of course we in this country would be devastated, but I frankly don't believe other countries would think about it much - we aren't a part of NATO, there are only 5 million people living here, we are located to the northernmost corner of Europe... I just don't think others would care. We wouldn't certainly get our own, world-wide date of mourning![/QUOTE]

Sage, please don?t be ticked at American?s for how the event was handled. So many of us have absolutely no say in how the media is run or in what the government chooses to do. I found the endless media reports and endless stuff dragging the event out quite annoying as well.

Also you are incorrect in stating that America has not helped other countries in need. We have an organization called USAID that is devoted to assisting many things including disasters that strike other countries. If you are curious you can go here, [URL=http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/humanitarian_assistance/disaster_assistance/countries/][COLOR=DarkRed][B]USAID[/B][/COLOR][/URL] as they have posted what countries have received help for the past few years. For example over $80 million was contributed to assist those affected by the massive Tsunami that occurred in Asia back in December of 2004. Keep in mind that this does not include the American Red Cross or the various religions here that also send aid as well.

[quote name='Sage']Of course it was a catastrophic event that touched millions of lives, but seriously, worse has happened before and after that![/quote]

[color=crimson]It wasn't just the number of people who died. There were other factors involved. The location was a modern metropolitan city with millions of people within it. The buildings that were attacked were very prominent structures both economically and aesthetically. It was an attack on what is considered to be the only superpower. While there is a general ignorance or apathy in the American populous regarding ruination in other parts of the world, this was an important event for more reasons than just the body count.

Trying to compare destruction is inane. Loss occurred. Just because there is greater loss elsewhere doesn't mean that what was taken from people here is any less dramatic or relevant.

*twhacks Japan and ForgottenRaider* Your apathy in this thread is unnecessary and tiresome to read. Show some regard for the losses your fellow man took, takes and will take. It's not that difficult and it makes you more tolerable to be around.

I wouldn't willingly participate in any grandiose, melodramatic memorials to those that have died but I will show respect to the history that took place and the scars people may have from it.[/color]

[color=darkviolet]You know what else is twisted? Yesturday was also grandparent's day. I bet nobody remembered that.

I just remember that I was home sick from work and had to go to the doctor for blood work. My mom came by to pick me up and said turn on the news because something had happened. I though 'earthquake in California because that's usually the news here (she has a friend in Oakland) so maybe there was an earthquake in Oakland. I turned on the small tv that was in the livingroom and saw the first tower on fire.

My mom drove me from our house in the suburbs to my doctor in the city and the whole time instead of music the news was on. The anchormen were almost crying. Then during my blood work they announced that the second tower was hit. I remebred that one of my cousins lived there at the time with her husband (she was a preschool teacher two blocks from ground zero)

Everything was okay though in my family. But some friends of our family lost their nephew on the 102nd floor. His last name was Pelino. Goddess keep him.

Exactly a year after 9/11/01 I flew down to Texas. I mentioned this yesturday prior to my riding lesson and one of the girls asked if I was crazy. I said no, it was pretty cool- the plane was packed. Then my riding instructor said that it showed everyone had faith in the government. Crap all I was doing was moving to Texas and showing that I wouldn't be bullied by a bunch of cowards who kill innocent people. I wasn't making a political statement.

I hae great respect for those in the armed forces- especially those who joined after 9/11/01 (alothough if a certain Army guy gets deployed again I'm gettuing a sign made with his face that says: Don't supoport this troop) Actually I'm considering joining myself. It's a family tradition!

To all those who think that four years is more that enough or that there are more things to think about. Try saying that to someone who lost a loved on in these tradgedies and see how far that gets you. Really, have some respect.[/color]

[SIZE=1]I skimmed the replies (mostly Sage's, Japan's, Ilium's) and I'm really tired of the "Sh** happens, America, suck it up" mentality. Then you try and cover yourself by saying "Oh, yeah, it was definitely a tragedy, etc, etc."

The reason why people were so mad about this was because not only did it hit two very famous buildings in New York City, hit the Pentagon. It killed thousands, and humans did it. It wasn't a tsunami, where there's no one to blame. It wasn't a hurricaine, either. It was hijackers, flying 747s into skyscrapers, being [i]happy[/i] that they did so, and watching the thousands die on screen.

I find it sickening that people think the news coverage was "rubbing it in other people's faces" or trying to produce some sort of worldwide sympathy. I would at least respect the passed away by not having the "Ah well, life goes on" mentality. Remember it for a second. Just because you don't remember what happened on other memorial days doesn't make it right for you to do the same for 9/11.[/size]

There you go again, Retribution!

My point was not to be disrespectful towards those who died at 9/11, but you don't get it that [I]it's not my grief[/I]. The whole event has had very little effect to me, living on the other side of the world.

This is not the single-most destructive thing that humans have caused to other humans, and [I]that's[/I] why I'm so annoyed that even us foreigners are almost forced to have "silent moments" and think about it annually.

America is not the navel of the world, even though you living there seem to think that!

I apologize for being rude and coming to flood this thread with my frustration, but I really did it [I]out of respect for those billions of dead people who [B]do not[/B] get an annual memorial thread here[/I].

Oh, and SunfallE, I wasn't saying that America doesn't send any foreign aid, I was saying that all the western "civilized" countries seem to have money only for the tragic events that occur in the west.

[quote name='Sage']Oh, and SunfallE, I wasn't saying that America doesn't send any foreign aid, I was saying that all the western "civilized" countries seem to have money only for the tragic events that occur in the west.[/quote]

[COLOR=#FF374C][SIZE=1]So all the help the West sent to Thailand after the Tsunami doesn't count, then? [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[quote name='Imi][COLOR=#FF374C][SIZE=1]So all the help the West sent to Thailand after the Tsunami doesn't count, then? [/SIZE'] [/COLOR][/quote]

Actually, it doesn't.

Over two hundred Finnish people died in the December tsunami, so we sent lots of money and resources there to help the people rebuild.

If no Finnish people had died, I reckon the amount of aid would be greatly diminished.

Same goes to all foreign countries who lost their inhabitants then. If it isn't about us, we tend not to care.

I truly wish it wasn't so, but unfortunately world isn't that good a place.

I still believe that the amount of help that USA got from foreign countries after 9/11 exceeds that which many other, poorer countries get.

For comparison, I heard somewhere that if the amount of money USA has wasted on the Afghanistan and Iraq wars would've been given to the poor countries in Africa, there would be no famine anymore.

Of course this might just be a wild legend, I don't know how true it is. But it's a worthwhile thought...

[QUOTE=Sage]Actually, it doesn't.

Over two hundred Finnish people died in the December tsunami, so we sent lots of money and resources there to help the people rebuild.

If no Finnish people had died, I reckon the amount of aid would be greatly diminished.

Same goes to all foreign countries who lost their inhabitants then. If it isn't about us, we tend not to care.

I still believe that the amount of help that USA got from foreign countries after 9/11 exceeds that which many other, poorer countries get.

For comparison, I heard somewhere that if the amount of money USA has wasted on the Afghanistan and Iraq wars would've been given to the poor countries in Africa, there would be no famine anymore.

Of course this might just be a wild legend, I don't know how true it is. But it's a worthwhile thought...[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed]
I've got to hand it to the US on this one, Sage. It's not all about the money you send - throwing money at problems seldom makes them go away. It was predominatly American rescue personal in Indonesia, exceedingly generous considering how much of it's armed force and the like were in the Mid East. As far as I know, the only contry that sent major personal to New York was Canada, because it was hours away.

Sadly ironic that American Aide reached Asia faster than Aide has reached N.O - they can get half way across the world faster than a city in their own nation.

Side note: It's not myth. In fact, most non-biased econemists predict the Wars to cost in acess of 1.3 [I]Trillion[/I] dollars. You could end famine in Africa with enough money left over to cure AIDS and Cancer, and just enough to end man's dependence on Petrolium. Sadest part about it, I doubt that even if they had the money, it would have never gone to a decent cause. Bloody politicans :S[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Sage]Actually, it doesn't.

For comparison, I heard somewhere that if the amount of money USA has wastedon the Afghanistan and Iraq wars would've been given to the poor countries in Africa, there would be no famine anymore.

Of course this might just be a wild legend, I don't know how true it is. But it's a worthwhile thought...[/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]Okay first of all- quit yer bellyachin'.

You really get on my nerves here acting like since it's a US tradgedy we should just suck it up. No one told the people in the Phillipines that they should suck up their natural disater or the same with the Gulf States. This [b][I]TERRORIST ATTACK[/i][/b] was [i]not[/i] a natural disaster. A bunch of nutters got in in their heads to hijack airplanes and run them into the WOrld Trade Center and the Pentagon. And if it wasn't for that group of heros on flight 92 (?) there would have been another tradgedy. People lost thier lives in a senseless act of violence. This was the largest TERRORIST ATTACK on US soil! Of course we're still going to mourn

As for aide to other countries not counting. What a load of crap. Just because we're one of the richest countries in the world doesn't mean that what we donate doesn't count. And I really don't think it mattered nationality wise. I mean look at the bombings in BAli back in 2002 which were also the work of Al Quieda. Nobody's saying Hey Bali suck it up!

I'm really tired of all the anti-American sentiment and since we're America we can't mourn. Sure everyone may hate us because of Bush and his cronies, but that's not all America. For El sake, grow a soul![/color]