OtakuBoards

the anime you watch

GANTZ

Well, it's nice that you've asked for reasons, but honestly this topic is so broad that I can't really tell what you want people to say. It would have helped if you offered an example in your own post--which, frankly, is minimal enough to be interpreted as bordering on spam.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a thread where people could say a little bit about what they're watching at the moment and what they think of it (letting this cover stuff like shows you've seen in the past would just make it way too general, of course). So I'll leave the topic open, because I feel that it could have some value, but I am a little dubious.

(Also, allow me to reinforce your request for a good dose of "why." No lists, please.)

~Dagger~

Currently I have been watching several different anime series. The first I will discuss is Samurai Gun. This is a series ADV is putting out and has their usual cast of dub voice actors. One of which is one of my favorites, Illich Guardiola. He could read the instuctions on how to program a VCR and I would listen to him read it 100 times over. Despite Illich voicing the lead the storyline and animation style is not one that I really like. It feels like this anime was trying to take a page from the Samurai Champloo book but came up very short.

The story takes place in Japan about the same time as Peacemaker Kurogane (I am assuming). A group of assassins use guns to kill their marks. The group also wears skin tight silly outfits in the style of Gantz with weird samurai-esque helmets and masks. The storyline contains plenty of "adult" situations that don't add to the story. I have finished watching the first disk with 4 episodes and I doubt I will continue on with the rest of the series.

Another series I am watching is Scrapped Princess. This is one I will definitely continue watching. I have seen 3 DVD's so far and I am really enjoying the story. It feels like a cross between science fiction and fantasy. Another one of my favorite dub voice actors, Crispin Freeman, plays a lead role of Shannon. He could read me the phone book and I would love it.

The story follows the "Scrapped Princess" as she is trying to avoid being caught. She was suppose to be killed shortly after she was born since it was foretold that she would bring about the end of the world. Through a turn of events she did not die and is now being protected by her adoptive brother and sister. Great character development and the story line has a little of everything: comedy, romance, action, magic, drama and science fiction all in a medieval setting. Definitely an underapprectiated anime series in my opinion.

Between the two series I have been watching I would definitely recommend Scrapped Princess over Samurai Gun.

One anime I am currently wqtching is Naruto on Cartoon Network, as I am temporairly out of funds to buy anything. It is ok, but the Dub is very badly done, and the story is very simple and cliched, everybody loves ninjas though. Also I recently bought Elfen Lied off the internet, and hope I will recieve that soon.

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=1][color=darkred]Right now I am watching Argento Soma, as far as anime that I am actually buying. I would recommend it, the dubbing is very good in my opinion, as well as the story being somewhat psycological but not totally getting you lost, or at least not yet. Currently I just finished the 3rd volume, and I'm looking forward to buying the 4th when I get paid next week.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=1][color=darkred]Currently on TV I am watching Naruto on Cartoon Network and RahXephon on G4. I actually have volume one of RahXephon, though before I went out to buy volume 2 I noticed that it was on G4. I think that if you like the Eva series you would probably like RahXephon, though I wont say too much since I'm not that far in the series. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=1][color=darkred][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=1][color=darkred]As for Naruto I find it entertaining and charming enough. I'm not too impressed with the dubbing, Naruto's voice kinda got to me at first though I'm getting used to it. I'm looking forward to watching it this week though because I have no idea where the series is headed.[/color][/size][/font]

I am personally very open to many different types. Some of my favorites are Evangelian, tenchi Muyo, S-cry-ED, Argento Soma, Samurai 7, Yumeria, Love Hina, Yu Yu Hakusho, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Shamploo, Inuyasha and Soultaker. Now i can't go over all of these, but summed up shortly I watch these anime because of one universal fact that I believe nakes or breaks an anime...... MEMORABLE CHARACTERS. These are anime with great characters. For any one whos seen them, who could for get Spike Spiegle, Mugen, Kazuma, Misato Katsuragi, Ryo Soma a.k.a Takuto Konoshiro(hint hint Shadowofdeath), Gene Starwind (hint hint name), Keitaro Urashima, Kyosuke Date, Miroku, Ryoko. Come on people, regardless of the plot the thing that makes an anime great is the characters. without great characters anime is just a lifeless story.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Whenever I am bored, I just watch any random anime I find On Demand. The there are a few anime I'm trying to watch the most of when I can. They are Decendents of Darkness, InuYasha, and Naruto.

Decendents of Darkness is so funny. It has a bit a horror in it with a whole lot of comedy. The art reminds me a lot of Gravitation, so that's probably why it appealed to me at first.

InuYasha, I love, though I don't stay up on purpose to watch it anymore. Who wouldn't like the comedy and romance involved in this show?

Naruto. Ok, it's an awesome show and all, but I prefer my friend's dub better. The voices are all horrible, cept Kakashi. Kakashi has a very pretty voice. I guess that Naruto's voice is 'ok' but I hated it at first. It just grows on you, I guess. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=Red][FONT=Century Gothic]For The Moment I watch Chobits, And Watched Card Captor Sakura.
Chobits I Watch Because I Like The Story And Card Captor Sakura Because It Was On Tv [/FONT] [/COLOR]

[quote name='Starwind']I am personally very open to many different types. Some of my favorites are Evangelian, tenchi Muyo, S-cry-ED, Argento Soma, Samurai 7, Yumeria, Love Hina, Yu Yu Hakusho, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Shamploo, Inuyasha and Soultaker. Now i can't go over all of these, but summed up shortly I watch these anime because of one universal fact that I believe nakes or breaks an anime...... MEMORABLE CHARACTERS. These are anime with great characters. For any one whos seen them, who could for get Spike Spiegle, Mugen, Kazuma, Misato Katsuragi, Ryo Soma a.k.a Takuto Konoshiro(hint hint Shadowofdeath), Gene Starwind (hint hint name), Keitaro Urashima, Kyosuke Date, Miroku, Ryoko. Come on people, regardless of the plot the thing that makes an anime great is the characters. without great characters anime is just a lifeless story.[/quote]

wasnt there a request for no lists? anywho, i m currently watching the love hina series, and as i finished, i was a little unsatisfied, like they left a lot out of the anime. also, the adult swim originals, .hack//, and eva are great hits as well

I have seen Rurouni Kenshin(my All time Favorite), Gravitation, Peacemaker, Fushigi Yugi, Weiz Kreuz, Samurai Champloo, Samurai deeper Kyo, Gundam Seed, Dnangel, Chrono Crusade, Spiral, Mirage of Blaze, Initial D, Saiyuki, GetBackers, Generator Gawl, Orphen, X, Sister Princess, Scrapped Princess, Maburaho, kyo kara maoh and many more. I guess I will watch any anime that looks interesting to me.

Well I watch alot & I mean ALOT but the ones I like most is Neon Genises Evangelion cause it has most of the things Gundam neverd had plus it tell us about the things that might be possible in the futer besides the angels & [U]maybe[/U] the Eva's, also Fullmetal Alchemist is a great anime cause it delivers everything I wanted plus theres a short blond hero lol ^_^ & there is both Ruroni Kenshin & Naruto, Ruroni Kenshin is the best samurai anime you can get *despite Samurai champloo & Samurai 7* & very quickly Naruto is gettin cred for being the best ninja anime well time will tell can Naruto be the best ninja anime?

Ohhh almost for got theses are part of the best to juzt because they kick ***
Hellsing
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
G Gundam
Gundam SEED
.Hack//legends
Big O
Case Closed
Tenchi Muyo
Chobits
& Gunslinger girl

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Lucida Console]I truly have no idea as to how I got into anime/manga, but here I am today.

As far as category goes, I like some sci-fi thrillers like Serial Experiment Lain, some action series such as Inuyasha, Bleach, etc., and some comedy like FLCL. These are, however, but a few categories and examples.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]I like Fruits' Basket, because it's so funny, and yet so sweet at the same time. I truly enjoy it for it's plot and characters.
I enjoy Witch Hunter Robin and Noir because of their darker storylines, and the characters are very complex as well. I tend to like animes that are deeper with their plots and stories, and aren't so shallow.
Another favorite is Inuyasha. Several of the characters annoy me, and so do certain elements of the plot, but the rest of the story, animation, and characters make up for it. At truly well-rounded anime, though a bit annoying at times.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Guest Marmalade Guy
I like romance, drama, shoujo.

I can't handle the action shoujo, though, like Fushigi Yugi for example.

But I'm all over stuff like Marmalade Boy, Love Hina, and Video Girl Ai.