OtakuBoards

Life's little absurdities

Anime Elf

What do you consider to be some absurdities in life? I'll give some examples so you guys will have at least some idea of what I'm talking about.
-There are many schools that give out suspensions for skipping school
-People like people who failed before succeeding although not failing should be more desirable
-People wanting to see the successful fail, despite our society valuing hard work and determination to succeed

-At my school, you are sent to the alternative room(thus deemed unfit for class) for a day for having an untucked shirt
-You only feel like spending money when you don't have any
-The less you play in a sporting event, the more you celebrate a victory.

- things like piercings, clothing, hair styles, and jewellery (especially "satanic" jewellery) are a "distraction" to the learning environment, although one can simply ignore what they see
- just because someone doesn't follow a typical stereotype in a group, they're a poser
- I'm sixteen years old, almost seventeen, and I still can't date someone just because they're 18 or older, because automatically they're a "pedophile." kids are growing up faster, get over it.
- just because i'm 16 (almost 17), i can't smoke, although being 2 years (almost 1 year) away from being 18, I should know what the hell a cigarette smoking addiction can do in long term effects.
- just because I'm under 18 (but about 1 year from being so), I can't get a piercing without parental permission.
- my school won't allow me to even have a retainer for my bridge piercing if the rubber o-ring isn't clear, even though if it is clear, it's still obvious.
- just because a girl has alot of sex, she's a whore, but if a girl goes out and does alot of drugs and still maintains her virginity, she's not as bad as the one who's called a whore.
- nudity is offensive, although the human body is supposed to be beautiful
- a woman who poses nude is a whore because people automatically think that she has sex alot.
- people are told to be tolerant of other people's religions, but you can't say Merry Christmas or have Christmas things have anything to do with Christ, even if it's supposed to be HIS birthday (wtf? I'm not Christian, and I have a bit of a bias towards Christians, but that's still messed up).

-That there are three years between the legal age of smoking, voting, and owning your own place and drinking around here.

-People make a big deal about taking guns and knives to school when a sharp pencil can be a lethal as either of the two.

-A typical order at a fast food joint is a double cheese bruger, large fries, and a 'diet' soda because the person wants to lose weight.

-The public cares more about the lives of celebrities and the mishaps of sports stars than important, news worthy news.

-I was out at Howl-O-Scream with a friend, clinging to her because I was dizzy, and her ten year-old brother asked if we were lesbians together.

-People are always saying that knowing another language will help you get a job, but they have students in a public school memorize vocabulary and spit it out for the tests instead of teaching them how to converse.

-A sexually promiscuous female is called a 'whore'--a sexually promiscious male is called a 'player'.

[color=DarkGreen][font=Trebuchet MS][quote name='Stark][/font][/color]People make a big deal about taking guns and knives to school when a sharp pencil can be a lethal as either of the two.[color=DarkGreen'][font=Trebuchet MS][/quote] In the Ninjutsu society at university, they taught me how to break an attacker's wrist with a pencil, and it doesn't even need to be sharp. Comforting to know if I'm ever attacked in a stationery shop.

And on that subject, here's an absurdity in self-defence law. Apparently, if I'm attacked by someone in an alley or something, because I know a martial art I'm not allowed to hurt them. Because I know a martial art, I'm deemed to be able to escape without injuring my assailant.

And a more blanket stupidity in self-defence law: you're only allowed to injure your assailant [b]as much as they have already injured you. [/b]Essentially, if you're attacked by a knife-wielder, you can't, say, break their nose until they've given you an equivalent or worse injury. And given that they're holding a knife, that's more than likely to tip into 'worse'.
[/font][/color]

[FONT=Arial]It's not just a sharpened pencil that can kill someone; you can hit someone in the nose with a text book and drive the bone into their brain. You can swing your backpack at someone's head and if the force was hard enough (binders, textbooks, other stuff) then they could receive brain damage (not that I would EVER do these things to anyone). I think the books that teachers assign to students are actually more dangerous than a plastic butterknife, and you can get suspended for having one of those at school (o_O). You can also have scissors at school, or at least my school. Double-you-tee-eff?

- When I was in seventh grade, an eighth grader got In-School-Suspension for dying his hair purple on the last day of school. Anyone who dyed their hair an abnormal color got ISS.

- Schools preach health and fitness, yet serve disgusting cafeteria food.

Renayiiq, I'm angry about the Christmas thing, too. Even non-Christians celebrate Christmas, and yet it's somehow offensive to wish someone to have a good one? Oh, sure, you can say Happy Kwanzaa, or Happy Hanukkah or Eid (which also has to do with religion), but not Merry Christmas. That restriction is unconstitutional, because every free American citizen has the rights of Freedom of Speech and the Freedom of Religion. >: O take that, school systems and businesses.

- Boys who claim to be gangsters speak some intelligble dialect, or Ebonics, when real gangsters spoke a form of cant, or maybe even Italian.

- Many organizations plead people to spend time with their families, yet there are so-very-high-stakes football games going on the day of Thanksgiving. Think of the team, the staff, the stadium employees, and all the spectators who are missing Thanksgiving because of a pointless game.

- Many games and movies that take place in fictitious worlds (i.e. Lord of the Rings) feature actors with British accents.

- Movies that take place in any country in Europe that speaks a non-English language use the English language in dialogue, yet with an accent that would come from a person who spoke the language of their home country and tried to speak English with the same pronounciation techniques. This would be okay if the characters were speaking English and not just the actors, but the characters are actually supposed to be speaking their own native language behind the accented English voice-mask.[/FONT]

-16 year olds are allowed to have sex but they're not allowed to watch it in a movie.
-Any adult even talking to a child they don't know is automatically seen as a peodiofile. My uncle's a caretaker at a school but he has to leave the room if a kid walks in there. Why shouldn't the kid leave? My uncle's the one who has work to do in there!
That's all I have right now.

Oh, that last post reminded me of something else pretty weird.

Where I live, you can't get married, but you're not allowed to legally consent until you're seventeen.

Oh, people say freedom of speech all the time, but get all up in arms if their offended, and in today's society maybe even sue if it's "bad enough" (exluding slander and libel).

Speaking of lawsuits, criminals who win because someone fought back and they got hurt, people who sneak into clubs and chip teeth and successfully sue the club, obesity lawsuits, and the McDonalds coffee lady lawsuit.

Oh, and a spouse who could get half or even more just because there wasn't a prenup, despite not doing equal work in relationships (i.e golddiggers).

[SIZE=1][QUOTE=Amelia][FONT=Arial]
- Many games and movies that take place in fictitious worlds (i.e. Lord of the Rings) feature actors with British accents.
.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Well LotR was written by a British guy...so it stands to reason ^_~. Though it seems odd to me that in a lot of Movies the bad guy/girl is always British.

Thats not really an absurdity anyway...most of these just seem like annoyed bitching to me.

Here's a good one though. CFC's from deoderant cans, soda cans and air conditioning units make a hole in the Ozone Layer. This hole causes global warming, making the earth hotter. With it getting hotter people are going to be using more deoderant, drinking more soda and using air conditioning. Kind of a viscious cycle don't you think ^_~.[/SIZE]

-When a female has sex, she is a whore. If she doesn't, she is a prude.

-If a male doesn't have sx, he is a prude. But when he knocks a girl up, or just has sex with her and leaves her, he is a player.

-How the government pays millions to have the biggest and best christmas trees for the White House, and a few other things that cost absurd amounts of money. Yet, we are millions of dollars in debt, and soldiers are dying because their armor isn't strong enough.

...Can't think of anything else at the moment. :animedepr

[SIZE=1]- Where I live, someone under the age of 18 can only marry someone over the age of 18 if one of the two parties is pregnant. The only way for one of them to be pregnant is for them to have sex with each other, which is illegal.

- A sixteen year old dating a seventeen year old can have sex with them as much as they want, but once the seventeen year old turns eighteen, they can't have sex anymore [legally] until both parties are eighteen.

At least that's how it is where I live. I dunno about you guys, but I think that's pretty messed up.[/SIZE]