OtakuBoards

I Need Music Reccommendations - Instrumental

2010DigitalBoy

I'm really getting into the more instrumental genre. Not symphony, closer to techno. If anyone listens to the Mars Volta they should know what I'm talking about. The CDs I like from this genre are:

-The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
-The Gorillaz - ST
-The Gorillaz - Demon Days
-Boogiepop Phantom OST

I already plan to buy the other Mars Volta CDs, but does anyone know any other bands of this nature?

[font=trebuchet ms]I would like to recommend my favorite instrumental band, and one of my favorite bands in general, Canvas Solaris.

They are an Instrumental Progressive Metal band which tries to convey the feeling of being in space through their music. Yeah, whatever. They're really amazing. They have two cd's on Tribunal Records. If you're interested I can hook you up with a song over AIM or something.[/font]

[size=1]You might want to look into Mindless Self Indulgence. They're really---out there, lol. But, I adore them. Fast music, strange lyrics, strange vocals...just an absolute blast to listen to. You find something new in the songs every time you listen, there's just so much stuff going on in the music,lol. [/size]

Metallica's older stuff is pretty heavy in the instrumental department...I'd recommend something like their album [i]...And Justice for All[/i] (it's my personal fave of their older stuff). Something like "To Live Is to Die" off of that album (an entirely instrumental song, well, nearly) is awesome. I can hook you up with some songs from the album over AIM if you'd want (my name is machineofbones). I'm not sure what I'm recommending is quite what you're looking for, though.

Rush is awesome. [i]2112[/i] is just pretty damn classic, as far as I'm concerned. I'd agree with that recommendation. Got to love Rush and how they made extremely long songs that rule even though, back then, that was quite a feat to accomplish in front of the studio execs, haha.

Another band that comes to mind is Dream Theatre, although I haven't listened to them as much as the ones above. Tony, another guy who used to frequent this site, and is huge into music, thought they had some of the best guitar-playing he'd ever heard. Their songs tend to get long, like Rush's, and from what I have heard they indeed do have amazing instrumentals.

Yeah, I have Rush's Moving Pictures CD, classic awesome.

I love Rush, but Metallica, well, I don't know about their CDs but their radio stuff sucks. I did like 'Master' but mostly just cuz it was in Doom, and that one song where the guy goes "nananana nanana... na nanana" just cuz it's awesome.

What I'm looking for, though, is something with a whole lot of unorthodox instruments. For instance, the Mars Volta mixes guitars with all kinds of strange noises and birs chirping and crazy *** stuff. Also, I'm looking for stuff more on the techno side than metal. I have like a million metal CDs, but now Im brnching off.

Most of Metallica's better stuff isn't played so often. Songs like "Blackened" or "...And Justice for All" or "Sanitarium" or "The Four Hoursemen" and on and on don't get much airplay at all, I've noticed. Perhaps it's just the stations I listen to, but I definitely think you should give Metallica a bigger chance. They honestly have some of the best guitar instrumental work I've ever heard, and I think they are truly deserving of their title as "the Gods of Metal." Their newer stuff is quite a letdown from their older stuff (I'm talking stuff from their first album, [i]Kill 'Em All[/i] here, as well as [i]Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All[/i], and so on in comparison with something like [i]St. Anger[/i]). Their older stuff is quite awesome, in fact, if you give it a chance.

[quote name='Mitch]Most of Metallica's better stuff isn't played so often. Songs like "Blackened" or "...And Justice for All" or "Sanitarium" or "The Four Hoursemen" and on and on don't get much airplay at all, I've noticed. Perhaps it's just the stations I listen to, but I definitely think you should give Metallica a bigger chance. They honestly have some of the best guitar instrumental work I've ever heard, and I think they are truly deserving of their title as "the Gods of Metal." Their newer stuff is quite a letdown from their older stuff (I'm talking stuff from their first album, [i]Kill 'Em All[/i] here, as well as [i]Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All[/i], and so on in comparison with something like [i]St. Anger[/i']). Their older stuff is quite awesome, in fact, if you give it a chance.[/quote]

My best friend has a bunch of metallica CDs Ill ask him to hook me up next time I see him.

Also, I looked up Mindless Self Indulgence on Dogpile music... other than the song titled "kill yourself" every title had a cuss word like the song "Bitches" "stupid MF" and the like. What the hell do they sing about???

Try Hella. They're quite popular I believe, in fact I think that they just recentely toured with the Mars Volta and System of a Down.

I also recomend Pelican, Isis*, and Neurosis* if you wish to try heavier music. Explosions in the Sky is also another good one.

Roadside Monument* is a nice little mathy rock outfit from Seatle, not completely instrumental but the vocals aren't the focus. Unwed Sailor actually consists of member from Roadside Monument and is an entirely instrumental project.

Another instrumental band that I HIGHLY recomend is Tera Melos. They're almost a local band, but not quite. They're sound is self described as jazz meets hardcore punk meets ambient techno. I'd just refer to it as math rock. Anyway, they're really good, and they have fantastic spirit live. They're quite a danger in fact, at least to the front row...

*Band has vocals

[font=trebuchet ms]Hmm, unorthodox instruments, techno, progessive rock = The Sound of Animals Fighting.

[url]http://www.purevolume.com/thesoundofanimalsfighting[/url]

They are a 15 member supergroup, including the singer of Circa Survive, the original singer of Finch, a guitarist from RX Bandits, and the drummer from RX Bandits. This is just what I know.

They play progressive music with emo-y vocals broken up by electronic interludes and long parts of pure instrumental. The mish-mash of all their songs put together and the full song they provide on PureVolume are bad examples of what I'm talking about. Have fun with it.[/font]

Bands that I like that are instrumental, with a hint of techno - Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed you Black Emporer (East Hastings is orgasmic), Ladytron, Bjork (heavily recommend Joga/Hyperballad/Isobel/Play Dead), Muse (the album Hullaballoo, as for songs Bliss/Space Dementia/Gallery), Air (the album Moon Safari), The Eels, Portishead (everything you can get your hands on - try the album Dummy), Prodigy, Madonna (Candy Perfume Girl/Sky Fits Heaven/Frozen - more dance influenced if you're into that sort of thing), Moby, Massive Attack and perhaps even Placebo (try Sleeping with Ghosts, it's a more electronic album).

Dream Theater is a good one, but I'm not sure if I'd say I listen to them because of their techno influences - definately worth checking out if you like fast guitar riffs and insane drumming drawn out into a long orchestral piece. Metropolis is a good song, as is Peruvian Skies. Ok, better than good... it's bootylicious.

A friend of mine is into a guy called Kid Koala, who is a hip hop artist that scratches turntables with violins. I've heard some things and they're mind blowing, so check that out too if you can.

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]If you like The Mars Volta's lyrics (Namely album-spanning psychological epics) I would highly recommend a band called Ayreon. They're metal, it's true, but they are AMAZING. I would recommend the album called The Human Equation (it's a two-disc set). It's basically a prog-metal* opera following the mental exploits of a man in a coma for twenty days, with a different singer for each emotion in his head. My favorite is Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth fame playing the emotion Fear. It's an amazing album with all kinds of keyboard wankery going on. Also, if you're looking for unorthodox instruments, look no further. The track on the album(s) closest to a single, "Day Sixteen: Loser", features an electric violin and a didjeridoo! A didjeridoo! You can't tell me that's NOT awesome!

Ayreon has another album called Into the Electric Castle, but I haven't heard it yet. But come on, with a name like that, it can't [i]not[/i] be good.

Anyways, that's my suggestion for ya. Give it a chew.

*Think Dream Theater.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Gen. Andronicus']I also recomend Pelican, Isis*, and Neurosis* if you wish to try heavier music. Explosions in the Sky is also another good one.[/quote]

Pelican and Explosions in the Sky are both great. :)

Godspeed You Black Emperor is also good from what little I've heard. I'm surprised that Mitch wasn't the first to mention them, haha.

The Antarcticans are a good instrumental band; they're similar to Sonic Youth, if you've ever given them a listen (my favorite band, coincidentally lol). They make some [i]very[/i] long songs, so you'd probably have to be in the right mood to listen to them, but they're awesome to listen to.

Woah, now, slow down. Just so you know, I don't know ANYTHING about... music in general. If it isn't on the radio, I've never heard of them. Even then Ive probably never heard of them, so before you startt comparing one strange band to another, please tell me what the first strange band is.

So far, Ayeron sounds pretty cool. WTF is a didjeridoo???

[quote name='? Nomad Tical ?']So far, Ayeron sounds pretty cool. WTF is a didjeridoo???[/quote][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Glad to hear it. Ayreon's great.

A didjeridoo is an Australian Aboriginal instrument made from a hollow log. You buzz into the mouthpiece and it makes a weird droning noise. Here's the [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didjeridoo][u]Wikipedia article[/u][/URL] describing it, if you care that much.

I know that the song with the didjeridoo in it, "Day Sixteen: Loser", has a video out, but I don't know where to find it. Maybe do a search for it, I dunno. But it's a cool video.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=trebuchet ms]Do they even play instrumental music on most radio stations?

Anyways, if you like Mars Volta, or any prog rock in general, I also need to recommend AutoDefe and Christiansen. Both can easily be looked up on Purevolume. The Mars Volta pwns them both, but they're good bands in their own way.

And I love Brandon Bodenhagen's writing style, well, he's the singer in Christiansen.

Other than that, I'm using this thread to find cool bands, myself. Thanks for some of the rec's guys, lol.[/font]

[QUOTE=Rhym][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Glad to hear it. Ayreon's great.

A didjeridoo is an Australian Aboriginal instrument made from a hollow log. You buzz into the mouthpiece and it makes a weird droning noise. Here's the [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didjeridoo][u]Wikipedia article[/u][/URL] describing it, if you care that much.

I know that the song with the didjeridoo in it, "Day Sixteen: Loser", has a video out, but I don't know where to find it. Maybe do a search for it, I dunno. But it's a cool video.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I did some research on Ayreon and listened to a few clips. The opera-ness kind of scares me and it's a bit too slow. I'm looking for something more fast-paced.