OtakuBoards

Random Facts

Guest Syrius

[SIZE=2][FONT=Georgia]I've got a truckload of 'em for ya'.

1. A survey reported that 12% of Americans think that Joan of Arc was Noah's wife.
2. It's illegal to own a red car in Shanghai, China.
3. The word "testimony" comes from the ancient Roman ritual of taking an oath. To take an oath, they would grab their testicles.
4. Women who read romance novels make love 74% more than women who don't read them.
5. The average chocolate bar has 8 insect legs.
6. A blue whale's heart is the size of a Volkswagon Beetle.
7. The strongest human bite force recorded is 350 pounds. The strongest shark bite force is only 150 pounds!
8. The human brain is insensitive to pain.
9. The chances of you dying on your way to getting a lottery ticket is greater than your chances of winning.
10. It's illegal not to smile in Pocatello, Idaho.
11. The mask used by Michael Myers in the original "Halloween" movie was actually just a Captain Kirk mask painted white.
12. It's illegal to be a prostitute in Siena, Italy if your name is Mary.

That's all I've got. More to come![/FONT][/SIZE]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahuman bite is actually stronger than that of a dog's, the only thing that makes a dog bite so bad is the fact that they have "lock jaw" meaning its hard for them to let go. :p

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]
Wow, I never knew you spend 3 years of your life on toilets........ scary thought :animedepr
-our eyes are always the same size as when we were born, but our nose and ears never stop growing
-"Tom Sawyer" was the first novel written on a typewriter
-humans blink over 10,000,000 times a year[I](freaky)[/I]
[/FONT]

It's impossible to tickle yourself, because your brain expects it and prevents you from being tickled.

[QUOTE=kenshinsbabe][SIZE=2][FONT=Georgia]
3. The word "testimony" comes from the ancient Roman ritual of taking an oath. To take an oath, they would grab their testicles.[/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
I think you may have gotten it a little backwards. The word "testimony" comes from the latin word "testis," meaning witness. The word "testicle" probably comes from that word as well.

[quote=Raiyuu]
Walt Disney had wooden teeth and hated Jews.[/quote]
*Walt Disney wakes up from cryo-sleep*
Guy: Welcome to the new world Mr. Disney.
Disney: Are the Jews dead yet?
Guy: No.
Disney: Put me back in.

[color=blue][size=1]Did you know:

- that the colour of hippo's sweat is red?
- that in a year, an average person walks four miles making their bed?
- that an average person spends 2 weeks of their life waiting for traffic lights?
- that koalas and humans are the only animals with unique fingerprints?
- that a shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes?
- that mageiricophobia is the intense fear of having to cook?
- that on average, a 4-yr-old child asks 437 questions a day?
- that emus and kangaroos can't walk backwards?
- that slugs have four noses?
- that every year, the Moon moves a further 3.82 cm from the Earth?

I think that's it for now. ^_^[/color][/size]

[color=crimson] Here's some radnom facts you may not know.

Soft drinks are technically flat until the bottle is opened. A shaken bottle will only "fizz up" once it is opened because of this.

Leather is outlawed in India, since the production of it involves killing cows, considered sacred in Hinduism.

You have a higher chance of going bald, if your hand is bigger than your face.
[/color]

[COLOR=#646546][SIZE=1]^ Hmm. If my hairline recedes and my face reaches up to the top of my head, will that stop the hairloss? ;P[list][*]A man with a ring finger that's longer than his index finger is more likely to be physically aggressive than men with "feminine" finger ratios ([url=http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/050203_finger_length.html][COLOR=#FB9900]click[/COLOR][/url])

[*]There are some 12 types of ice (yes, solid water) differentiated mainly by their crystal structures.

[*]Aaaand a fact about another mineral we all so love: Diamonds cannot be destroyed by acid.[/list][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1]The slug has the larget penis in proportion to it's size of any animal on record. On some occasions, the male will become stuck during coitus, and it will have to be chewed off.

So boys, be glad you're not [I]too[/I] big.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]A woman wishing to enter Canada to be a stripper must provide naked photos of herself to get a visa!

All clams start out as males; they can choose to become females.

A man once sued his doctor because he survived his cancer longer than the doctor predicted.

Most cell phone antennas have no purpose other than to make people believe that flipping up a 2 inch antenna just gave them better reception. They are not connected to any circuitry.

President George W Bush and Playboy founder Hugh Hefner are cousins!

The penalty of masturbation in India is decapotation.

In 1980, the city of Detroit presented Saddam Hussein with a key-to-the-city.

The average American eats at McDonalds 1,800 times in their life.[/COLOR][/FONT]

i just tried to lick my elbow, and it didn't work.:animeswea anyway did you know that in a school of clownfish, when the biggest female dies, the biggest male somehow turns female? when i read that in a science book i was thinking "what the heck?!":animestun :animestun :D :D

A few more of those laws that are on the books but not enforced...

1 - It's illegal to molest a butterfly in California.

2 - In Oregon, you may not whisper dirty things in your lover's ear during sex.

3 - Also in Oregon, you may not towel-dry your dishes. Heh.

And now just some stupid facts....

An ostrich's brain is the size of its eyeball.

The English word "Salem" comes from the Hebrew "Salaam" which means peace (like JeruSALEM). Ironic how the most famous parts of the American witch hunt took place in a town named for peace? Muy mal....

Chang is the most common surname in the world. Muhammed is the most common first name.

The average life span of a breast implant is 10 years.

Almonds are related to peaches.

Almonds, peaches, apples, and cherry's all contain cyanide in their seeds/pits.

It's been found that if you have two copes if the Delta 2 gene, you're immune to AIDS/HIV, and the Black Plague. They're currently reserching how to harness this into a vaccination.

2 dogs survived the sinking of the Titanic.

The praying mantis is theonly insectt hat can turn its head.

xox Alyssa's friend Rochelle.

Did you know the musicians who keep playing while Titanic is sinking (in the movie...), it's for [B]real[/B].....

I still don't know whether it's true or not.....but my teacher said that no matter what kind of triangle you draw (except for the one with 90 degree). The triangle would have all of it's side at a same value, but you shouldn't use ruler or tools to determine the value.....you use.....uhm.....variables......I'm not sure how to say this but....you use some kind of variables and formulas to prove that those sides were at the same value....

[COLOR=#004a6f][quote name='Zhara']The English word "Salem" comes from the Hebrew "Salaam" which means peace (like JeruSALEM). Ironic how the most famous parts of the American witch hunt took place in a town named for peace? Muy mal....[/quote]But Salaam is Arabic word for peace. I thought the Hebrew word for peace is Shalom (still similar, since Arabic and Hebrew are similar).

[quote name='Rapture Ruckus][color=crimson']You have a higher chance of going bald, if your hand is bigger than your face.[/color][/quote]That sounds very similar to the argument that if you're hand is bigger than your face, you'll likely get cancer. That's actually just a joke people make up, and when the person puts their hand against their face you smash their nose with their own hadd.

Baldness is the result of a recessive gene found on the X chromosome. If a man has this gene, he will go bald because there's nothing on the Y chromosome to nullify the balding gene. On females, they need two balding genes to go bald.

So for all you males out there, if you want to decide what your chances are of going bald, look at your mother's side of the family, (your maternal grandfathers, great grandfathers, and uncles). If your dad is bald, that has absolutely nothing to do with your going bald.[/COLOR]

Guest Syrius
In Lebenon, It is perfectly O.k for a man to have sex with an animal, but the animal has to be female, the puishment for a man to have sex with a male animal, is death.
Women are only allowed it seems to have sex with their husbands.

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=Plum]Did anyone know that Dolphins are the only other mammals besides humans that have sexual intercourse for pleasure, not only for reproduction.
Also, if you ever find a scorpion, throw a rock at their back. They'll sting themselves and die.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Maneki Neko][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=Plum]Did anyone know that Dolphins are the only other mammals besides humans that have sexual intercourse for pleasure, not only for reproduction. [/COLOR][/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote][color=#b0000b][size=1]Whenever this comes up in conversation (and it [i]worries[/i] me how often that the sexual drives of animals come up in my conversations), I find it hard to believe.

I very much doubt that every species except for humans and dolphins (and bonobos, who also come up in this topic fairly often) thinks to themselves before doing the dirty: "Gee! I better go propogate the species again! Too bad having sex is such a [i]drag[/i]. It's really not pleasurable at all... Oh, well. Anything for the survivial of kind, you know!"

There is a technical definition of "sex for pleasure" for which I believe your statement holds (if you add bonobos), but all in all I think it's a pretty misleading claim. (For the record, a more accurate statement is that the above mentioned creatures are among the few who engage regularly in sexual intercourse even when there is no chance of offspring being produced.)[/size][/color]

[quote name='Zhara][COLOR=Purple']It's illegal to go whaling in Oklahoma.[/COLOR][/quote]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]It's also illegal to go whaling in Utah. But at least it makes a bit more sense here, what with the Great Salt Lake and all. Not like it could support anything so large as a whale, though.

Anyways, this wacky law has given rise to the "Great Salt Lake Whaling Company," which is pretty much a souvenier chain.

Oh, and also, "Random" is defined as "Of or relating to an event in which all outcomes are equally likely, as in the testing of a blood sample for the presence of a substance." Try to use it correctly at least once today![/FONT][/COLOR]

The average life of a taste bud is a mere 10 days.

The 1900 Olypic games were held in Paris.

The first zoo in America was built in Philadelphia.

After eating too much food, your hearing becomes less sharp.

In 1939 goldfish swallowing was started at Harvard.

Every day the sun loses about 360 million tons.

Dry fish make goldfish constipated.

Toliet paper was invented in 1857.

A slinky stretched out is 87 feet long.

The left leg of a chicken is more tender than the right one.

Who knew?...

• 3 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][QUOTE]But Salaam is Arabic word for peace. I thought the Hebrew word for peace is Shalom (still similar, since Arabic and Hebrew are similar).[/QUOTE]

... hi, this is Rochelle, with my own account on here now.

I thought it was the other way around. Hmm... I think I'll look. -does so-[/SIZE]

[color=green][font=Comic Sans MS]"Workers" in social insect colonies (ants, bees, etc.) are females with no reproductive organs, the only males in the colony are drones who's only purpose is to mate with the queen.

It is physically impossible for a human to be a true hermaphodite (posess a full set of both male and female sex organs), but all earthworm are.

All human embryoes start developing female, until a particular hormone is releised by the male excusive Y chromosome in the 15th week of pregnancy; this is why men have nipples.

Oh, and it's plausible for an inmate in prison to kill a guard using a cross-bow made out of newspaper (I'm watching Mythbusters right now :animesmil ).

I'll put some more up later![/font][/color]

[QUOTE=Soliel][color=green][font=Comic Sans MS]"Workers" in social insect colonies (ants, bees, etc.) are females with no reproductive organs, the only males in the colony are drones who's only purpose is to mate with the queen.

It is physically impossible for a human to be a true hermaphodite (posess a full set of both male and female sex organs), but all earthworm are.

All human embryoes start developing female, until a particular hormone is releised by the male excusive Y chromosome in the 15th week of pregnancy; this is why men have nipples.

Oh, and it's plausible for an inmate in prison to kill a guard using a cross-bow made out of newspaper (I'm watching Mythbusters right now :animesmil ).

I'll put some more up later![/font][/color][/QUOTE]

I always wondered why men had nipples... and now I know. Lol.

Anyway, here's more.

The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."

On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament
Building is an American flag.

Barbie's measurements if she were life size: 39-23-33.

All of the clocks in Pulp Fiction are stuck on 4:20.

No word in the English language rhymes with month.

A coat hanger is 44 inches long if straightened

Canada is an Indian word meaning "Big Village".

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".

The word 'byte' is a contraction of 'by eight.'

The word 'pixel' is a contraction of either 'picture cell' or 'picture
element.'

Isaac Asimov is the only author to have a book in every Dewey-decimal
category.

Cat's urine glows under a blacklight.

The average ear of corn has eight-hundred kernels arranged in sixteen
rows.

The first Ford cars had Dodge engines.

Chrysler built B-29's that bombed Japan, Mitsubishi built Zeros that
tried to shoot them down. Both companies now build cars in a joint
plant call Diamond Star.

[size=1][list]
[*]If you keep a goldfish in a dark room, it will eventually turn white.
[*]When Heinz ketchup leaves the bottle, it travels at a rate of 25 miles per year.
[*]In California, it's against the law to use your dirty underwear as a dust rag.
[*]In Natoma, Kansas, it's illegal to throw knives at men wearing striped suits.
[*]Swans are the only birds with penises.
[*]Medical researchers contend that no disease ever identified has been completely eradicated.
[*]In 1972, a group of scientists reported that you could cure the common cold by freezing the big toe.
[*]Your thumb is the same length as your nose.
[*]The storage capacity of the human brain exceeds 4 Terrabytes.
[/list]
And I'm done. :)[/size]