OtakuBoards

Introvert, Extrovert, or Ambivert?

Albert Flasher

Introvert, Extrovert, or Ambivert?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Introvert, Extrovert, or Ambivert?

• Introvert
    • Extrovert
    • Ambivert
    • What kind of question is that?

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]From Wikipedia University:[B][I]
The terms introvert and extrovert (spelled extravert by Carl Jung) were originally employed by Sigmund Freud and given significant amplification later by Jung. The terms refer to "attitudes" and show how a person orients and receives their energy.

In the extroverted attitude the energy flow is outward, and the preferred focus is on people and things. Extroverts tend to be energetic, enthusiastic, action-oriented, talkative, and assertive. Therefore an extroverted person is likely to enjoy time spent with people and find less reward in time spent alone.

In the introverted attitude the energy flow is inward, and the preferred focus is on thoughts and ideas. Introverts tend to be quiet, low-key, deliberate, and disengaged from the social world. Thus, one who is introverted is more likely to spend time alone or in contemplation, as these activities are rewarding. They may avoid social situations entirely, not because of shyness, but because they choose to.

While most people view being either introverted or extroverted as a question with only two answers, the reality is that this is probably more of a scale, with people falling on both ends and in between. The term ambivert was coined to denote people who fall more or less directly in the middle and exhibit tendencies of both groups. An ambivert is normally comfortable with groups and enjoys social interaction, but also relishes time alone and away from the crowd. Ambiverts tend to be moderate thinkers and weigh more than one side to an issue. Most have warm but controlled personalities.[/I][/B]

I'm just curious about this; what would you describe yourself as? Me personally, I consider myself more of an ambivert than an introvert, but I could easily be considered introvertive since, aside from my select group of close friends, I really don't like social contact all that much.

Anyone?[/COLOR][/FONT]

Thats interesting, I didn't know there was a term for in-between. My mother happens to be like that; sometimes she forces me to come with her grocery shopping for company *gag* or makes me leave her alone. On the Myers-Briggs test she's always about in the middle.

As for me, I'm pretty heavily introverted. I love introspection and can be very happy just daydreaming for hours on end or sitting outside and looking at the clouds. Most of my time is spent alone reading or writing. With my friends and family I do become more animate, and can be talkative if I'm passionate about something, but if I don't get alone time I will be very tired and annoyed.

It really takes a long way to get to know me...LOL, I feel bad for the people who try.

Before I may have said I was an extrovert, because I do have extroverted tendencies. More or less, I can be an extrovert when I choose to be.
But I'd say I'm more of an ambivert, because in other occasions, I just prefer not to deal with people.

I'm happy with this, because I like to do my own thing and be a little introverted, but then in the same token I work at a fast-paced, customer-obsessed retail store, where I have to be extroverted. And I can pull that off as well.
:catgirl:

[COLOR=Indigo]I am pretty much introvert myself. Even when I am with friends, I am socially withdrawn. Like, I'm there, and I participate in the activities or talking, I'm just not heavily into it. I spend most of my time analyzing, observing, and lost in thought. [/COLOR]

I'd say I'm an ambivert, because I fall right in the middle. There are times where I am very outgoing, assertive and what not, and then there are times where I just hole up in my room away from the world listening to music and writing poetry and what not off in my own little world. So I guess I am an ambivert, right in the middle.

I'm definitely an ambivert, although if I had to choose between the two extremes I'd choose extrovert. I much more like to be in company of people, have fun and go out clubbing than staying at home behind my computer. I can appreciate that as well and certainly get joy out of it, but I just love going out and doing fun stuff!

[COLOR=DarkRed]I am a total introverted person. I choose my friends, they do not choose me. I tend to back away from large crowds and I hate all social events. I love to read, write, and draw while listening to some music and go outside at night alone to bask in the moonlight. It's very peaceful. However, when I'm around people I am comfortable with, I can be wild and spasmatic and tend to do things I wouldn't normally do. It quite interesting to find that there is an in between from the two extremities.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I'm more of an introvert than an ambivert. I've been spacey for as long as I can remember; I can literally spend hours alone with my thoughts without feeling bored or uncomfortable.

I'm not shy, at least not anymore, but I often choose not to join in on conversations, unless spoken to directly. (I think it shows, too, since no one accuses me of being shy, yet they [I]do[/I] say I'm quiet.)

Alone time is a [I]necessity[/I]; while on a cruise with relatives, a couple cousins of mine tagged along wherever I went, and I literally snuck away while they weren't looking just to get them off my back.

And I often avoid social gatherings, especially school related ones, because I don't like mingling, and if I wanted to hang around with friends, I can do that on my own time.[/SIZE]

[color=dodgerblue]I'm very much an introvert. Well offline, that is. Yeah, I really don't like crowds... or people... I hate it when people such as my mum try to make me make friends with people I just don't like. It really doesn't work that way for me. Either I don't like someone or I do. And if I don't, then I won't talk to them, associate with them, or anything. Yeah. I cold.[/color]