OtakuBoards

Bleach Manga [Warning: Spoilers]

Guest Juice Boy

Honestly, I don't know what to make of the last chapter and I definately don't want to jump the gun and say that I'm done with this series, at least not until next weeks chapter. I'm hoping some kind of answer is revealed next week because I don't have it in me to wait another 50+ chapters for something I've been wanting to know for practically 2 years (maybe more). Other than Ichigo getting his powers back what the hell was the point for this arc? Why introduce Fullbringers? Why base an entire group around a pointless character (Chad)? HOW THE HELL DOES GINJO KNOW ABOUT ISSHIN? AND WHERE THE HELL DOES ISSHIN FIT INTO ALL OF THIS? Kubo hasn't answered anything since I have no idea.

No doubt I love action. It's the first thing I look for in anything and usually I can depend on Bleach for that but even the last few fights have been completely lackluster. But even I need breaks here and there and it's ridiculous to go on for so long without answering any questions or tying up loose ends. I give Kubo and Bleach a lot of flack but it was still my preferred choice of a manga to go to (over Naruto and One Piece), but I've pretty much had it with Bleach.

[size=1]I've finally gotten back into Soul Eater and D-Grayman is just great. Fairy Tail is working it's way up into the favorites along with Change 123 (once again)[/size][/rant]

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we are finally back and it feels good to be back.

1st I have to talk about these new characters that're likely to be Ichigo's new nakama. I see them as nothing more than just another Hanataro. It's characters like him/these that really know how to kill an entire chapter for me, but for this chapter that's not the case. Another thing I have with the introduction of these characters; why in the world is Yama-ji dispatching lower shinigami's who're probably low ranks to Karakura town? You have 4 people who're capable of handling hollows on their own (dispite how useless I think they are. Maybe Kubo even deemed them as useless without even knowing it). With that said, I've always had an issue with Afro-san as well. What's the point of some of these pointless characters?

Then there's the first death of a good guy. To show how bad Kubo is in certain areas, I don't even know this guy's name or what he's capable of. Are we suppose to feel anything for this guy's death? Don't get me wrong, death is never a good thing, but how am I suppose to feel for someone when he's never on-screen and we don't know a single thing about him? To bring it home even further since this is where Bleach is notoriously known for. Am I suppose to be impressed with the villains for killing a vice-captain? Honestly, if it's not Renji or Ikkaku, granted other vice captains looked stronger, I wouldn't be surprised if anymore of them were killed off, but still, considering those 2 are the only ones that we know that've acquired bankai, how are we suppose to measure how strong these characters are just for killing someone we don't know?

This also leads me right into the appearances of Nel and Halibel. Their appearance would've had more of an impact had Kubo kept his mouth shut. I mean, if it's not pertaining to the chapter or power rankings then I really don't want to hear or see these kinds of spoilers. To say that these characters, along with Grimmjow will make an appearance, that really kills my reaction because now I'm expecting it. Kubo's notorious for epic moments, and hearing/reading stuff like "______ will make an appearance in the next arc", just no. HELL NO! Anyway, I'm not a fan of kid Nel, just know that. As for Halibel, again, am I suppose to be impressed with these villains because she was caught? Considering how Kubo handled her (Stark and Barry for that matter) this does not give me an impression that the villains are a huge threat. If anything it just tells me that they can beat an espada. Had Kubo went ahead and have Halibel defeat Toshiro (with ease) this would be an entirely different statment. However, I do feel sorry for Halibel, that's all. But, yeah, to me, Aizen will always be the main villain of the series. Unless this guy takes Aizen out, I will not be convinced.

This arc definately started out much better than the last but because of Kubo's inabilty to answer qustions (closeout? I guess) I haven't really been able to enjoy Bleach.

I wouldn't say Sasakibe was completely useless. He filled that "featured character with no real lines" role. I think Kubo had him killed as it was a good way to dispose of a character he wasn't using anymore and can give motivation for the Head Captain Yamamoto to fight even more fiercely, not that it was a problem for him. Sasakibe's death also opens the door for replacement shinigami to fill the vice captain role like Yumichika or someone else.

Another thing I saw was interesting was that the Vizards are just kind of roaming around town. Maybe they will get into some of the fray which would allow for more featured villains to surface.

I had read about Kubo's statement of some of the characters returning, I was excited even more becuase I wanted to see what Grimmjoww went through after he was struck with Nnoitora's sword.

It was not my intent to call Sasakibe (really?) useless. It's more likely that I'm just jumping the gun in thinking that Kubo is expecting his audience to take him serious by killing off a character that we don't know. But I suppose killing off Sasakibe will give Yama-ji a reason to be more fierce, and I really hope he does.

I suppose I shall say something that I found rather interesting with the previous chapter. The enemy has bankai. I swear, this is the only motivation I have right now. I'm still anticipating on seeing these folks bankai and I'm hoping it was actually worth waiting this long for.

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Pretty much in the same boat, Yuki and the other Foddergami haven't added anything to the plot that Hanatarou couldn't have, and Hanatarou at least would be a familiar face whose established can be badass (or at least brave) when he needs to be. Even worse he seems to be being set up as an apprentice character to Ichigo and will likely go on to eventually fill the now vacant 2nd Seat in the 1st Division. Imoyama's utter lack of notability as a Shinigami doesn't at all endear me towards his students being anything other than utterly mediocre in the face of the officers and Captains we have seen already.

Sasakibe's death was pretty much a plot device for Kubo to take advantage of. The SOULs databook implied he was Captain-class Shinigami with bankai and his position as 1st Division Vice Captain makes him being fatally wounded while in bankai against Vandenreich forces seem a legitimate kill for the new villains while at the same time Sasakibe's lack of a fandom means Kubo doesn't have to worry about upsetting fans. Pretty much the same reasoning that makes me dread Komamura coming up against them because he would be one of the easiest kills among the Captains (and Love is there to step back into his old division same as Shinji, Rose and Kensei).

Buckbeard/Vandenreich Emperor is however probably my favourite antagonist design so far, simply because he isn't a bishie or border bishie like Aizen and Tsukishima or Ginjou. I'm not particularly inclined to believe that simply defeating Halibel won him the loyalty of Hueco Mundo, because it implies a social hierarchy that was pretty much stated to be artificially created and sustained by Aizen and thus logically would not survive him, and also because the Halibel's Aspect of Death coupled with her Hollow hole location (uterus), Buckbeard casual execution of Luders and Ivan and then his statement he can just "get new Arrancar any time he wants" while moving to Halibel hints at something a lot more sinister.[/font]

[quote name='Gavin' timestamp='1332809627' post='711034'][b][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Sasakibe's death was pretty much a plot device for Kubo to take advantage of. The SOULs databook implied he was Captain-class Shinigami with bankai and his position as 1st Division Vice Captain makes him being fatally wounded while in bankai against Vandenreich forces seem a legitimate kill for the new villains while at the same time Sasakibe's lack of a fandom means Kubo doesn't have to worry about upsetting fans[/b]. Pretty much the same reasoning that makes me dread Komamura coming up against them because he would be one of the easiest kills among the Captains (and Love is there to step back into his old division same as Shinji, Rose and Kensei).[/font]
[/quote]
Practically called it. You're good. Reading the latest chapter, having Byakuya talk to Renji about Sasakibe made him respect him a little bit more. Hell, I like Kubo's little jab at us fans (if ones want to take it like that) for calling Sasakibe useless, or whatever word that Byakuya used meant. But, still, I would've liked to have seen something this guy was capable of. I would've even liked to have seen his bankai in action (which in of itself is shocking to me). I probably would've even liked the guy. I guess my main thing is, why hold out on this guy? I mean if this guy is as good as said, why give us characters like Hanataro, Afro-san, Omaeda (of all people, him) and these new characters? Why are you putting characters like Omaeda and Hinamori on the frontlines to fight arrancar? If he has bankai, why even use Hisagi, Kira or Yumichika for that matter? If anything, this really makes me question Kubo's decision-making.

As for the other stuff in the chapter.... I would think if Halibel was captured, and maybe I was reading it wrong, or it sunk in the wrong way, but it seems like Grimmjow is in the same boat. Other than that, yeah, the rest of it was pointless babble.

I suppose the one thing I really hated... Pessche (sp?) showing up. I can't say he's my most hated character, but man, I can't stand this guy. Characters who're in stories purely for comic relief just flat out annoy me.

Going back to Hueco Mundo..... I don't think I'm liking where this is going. I've already seen threads about whose going to be next that needs rescuing (or damsel)

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]I have to admit, I was a bit surprised it was confirmed Vandenreich actually steal as opposed to seal/destroy bankai. Logically in order to steal a bankai you'd have to steal and subjugate the entire zanpakuto as opposed to just one form, unless it's something like Wonderweiss's Extinguir but even that had to be specially designed as opposed to just a generic "lulz stoll ur bankai!" On a slightly positive note this probably means we'll get to see Sasakibe's bankai, but unfortunately it'll be wielded by one of the Vandenreich guys. [/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Credit where credit is due I thought Kubo handled Sasakibe's funeral brilliantly, Byakuya's internal eulogy was a really nice touch along the panel of Yamamoto openly mourning the lost of his friend.

I do agree with you about Pesche as well, there was no real need for him to arrive and say exactly what Nel could've said by herself, but I'm also kind of annoyed Nel is still in her child-form which logically a session with Orihime should've fixed. I suppose though having Nel in adult-form would pretty much rule Grimmjow out of being King of Hueco Mundo (which is pretty much guaranteed to happen) given she's likely quite a bit stronger than him. Not looking forward to going back to HM so soon (and a pity Ichigo wasn't at Sasakibe's funeral because it'd be good to see him with the Gotei again) but the pace seems to be significantly quicker this time around so hopefully we won't be there 4 years this time.[/font]

The funeral was an awesome touch. I definitely can't wait to see that scene animated. I'm excited to see Sasakibe's bankai even though it may be wielded by some other guy. I'm also eager to see Grimmjow and his new look. I'm assuming he will be in some firm if his released state. Who knows...we may get to see Ukitake and Kyoraku fight some more but by themselves ....

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]A lot of people seem to think he'll have a new released state or something like Segunda Etapa but honestly I'd be really surprised if he did. I mean Ulquiorra having one was intended to set him apart from all the other Arrancar and Grimmjow while a decent character never had anything alluded to him being special like that. [/font]

Meh, it's bad enough that Grimmjow's gonna make an appearance. I hope he don't have a 2nd form, although it wouldn't surprise me if he manage to get one since it's been 2 years now, but still, I'd probably be disappointed since, to me, that makes Halibel look even more pathetic.

Anyway, Kubo's really pushing his luck with these chapters and my patience. Honestly, do people even care about fraccions, let alone the 5 female fraccions (not trying to sound sexist or anything)? To even see them get beaten to a pulp, to me is just a waste of time.

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Yup, never really understood why people can a **** about Halibel's fraccion but apparently they do so I'm forced to sit there and read as they run their mouths off before likely getting utterly fodderised again and needing a rescue. I still find it somewhat strange that Halibel somehow inherited Hueco Mundo from Aizen (or any Espada inheriting it) because Aizen's claim to the throne was based entirely on his personal strength without establishing a "dynasty" for the lack of a better term. Plus to the best of my knowledge there were other VLs still out there who hadn't been recruited yet into Aizen's army who would likely contest Halibel being declared Queen of Hueco Mundo.[/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Lot of things going on in that chapter, but still quite decent overall. The session with the VCs was good, Kira proving rather insightful as to the goings on of the 12th. Mayuri and Yama's chat was quite interesting too, bit surprised how blasé the massacre of 28,000 people was taken as, but I guess the maintenance of the balance of souls remains SS's top priority. Only thing I didn't really like is the idea Buckbeard is a thousand years old, if only because I liked the idea these Quincy were the end result of a goal rather than the originators of it. Hopefully we get more answers next week.[/font]

Probably the best chapter I've read since this arc began, and it's messed up since nothing happened. While this is not the answers I was looking for, quite frankly, I was under the impression that Ryuken was the last quincy, but this chapter is definately a step in the right direction in terms of providing more story and reveals. I also hope more is revealed next week.

This new main villain looks like a real threat, in terms of creepiness, but I'd really like to see this guy in action (I'm not going to keep repeating myself about Aizen. I think everyone got the point on my opinion of him by now). It'd be great if he's able to go toe-to-toe with Yama-ji, though. Much like people were anxious to see someone wipe that smirk off of Aizen's face, I want to see someone put Yama-ji down for good. I'm sick of this guy getting away with his stupidity.

With this being the last arc and whatnot, I'm kinda hoping that it don't get the Psyren treatment where it was rushed due to poor ratings. While I don't want this arc to drag out (I'm hearing 2-10 years for this arc alone), but I want it to flow nicely. Kubo's gotta finish strong here. I've accepted that Bleach is an action only series a long time ago, but it don't hurt to mix it up a bit here and there... Slow things down to reveal some answers, do 2 or 3 turn back the time (can't spell that p-word) for all I care because the original was so good in revealing answers and whatnot and I loathe flashbacks (Just so you know how good TBTP was in my eyes). Take time off to actually plan ahead or something as well. Can't keep having Kubo think of this stuff off the top of his dome. A lot of it was poor judgment.

[size=1]And then there are these people that do all this shipping crap. I, for one don't care if any of that stuff gets answered or not (I'd prefer if Kubo just let those folks wonder)[/size]

But yeah, finish strong Kubo. You can do it!

• 2 weeks later...
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Sort of surprised, and at the same time, completely unsurprised that Letzt Stil has been brought back as the Vanden equivalent to Bankai. As much as I like the technique it feels sort of lame Kubo can't seem to get beyond the idea of the bad guy groups need to be on roughly the same tier as Captains power-wise and has recycled LS (apparently without the "lose all your powers drawback" though I have theories as to why this is) for that purpose. I much preferred it back when it was speculated the Vandenreich Quincy were capable of breaking/destroying bankai in combat and it would essentially come down to who was the smarter opponent rather than "lulz bankai hax!".[/font]

• 2 weeks later...
I could've done with Ayon and the trio, but other than that I thought it was a pretty good chapter. Unfortunately, I don't have much to contribute to any form of discussion other than Ichigo as a main character and I think I went down this road once before as well.

However, I am re-reading from the final fight between Ichigo and Grimmjow to this point. Eventually I'll get to a point to where I'd read from the very beginning.

• 3 weeks later...
I really liked the latest chapter. While I'm not entirely convinced that the main villain is stronger than Aizen, I am convinced that they are a legitimate threat, at least far more of a threat than Ginjo and the fullbringers. I'm also curious as to what kind of role will Ryuuken play in this as well considering he don't seem fond of shinigami's. Speaking of Ryuuken, I'm curious how he measure's up to some of these newer quincies.

And then there's Kira. I'm not going to jump the gun and say he's dead because there's a squad of healers still wandering about, but if he is actually dead then Kubo deserves a pat on the back for actually killing off a known character.

Looking forward to the next chapter and I'm also looking forward to those two new pointless characters getting killed off (I know that'll probably be wishful thinking)

As with my last post, I'm still reading the Hueco Mundo chapters. I'm on the Ichigo vs Ulquiorra fight. Speaking of Ichigo, I'm kinda shocked I never really paid attention to it back then. Ichigo's attitude during both the Grimmjow and Ulquiorra fights, he had that attitude of "I must/will win no matter what", but when he got to Aizen all of that diminished. Man that guy was such a frail character.

• 4 weeks later...
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Well this week's chapter certainly had plenty of surprises to it, really want to know who Kyoraku is fighting because the dude makes Starrk look like a punk. Figure seeing as Akon won't be able to get in touch with Ichigo we may see Isshin, Urahara and co and the non-Gotei Vizards back in the picture, would love to see Ryuken as well. [/font]

I enjoyed the past chapter along with the previous chapter. My only issue with the last chapter was that it ends with Ichigo catching the phone and Urahara shooting what's his name... If I were just getting into this series that would definately leave a sour taste in my mouth.

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]As much as I like Kirge, I'm kinda glad his fight is done (even if it ended kinda poorly) because it was starting to get boring. As a character he was clearly introduced to hype the Vandenreich Stern Ritter and their Volstandig given he was on a lower level to them and was able to contend with Ichigo (arguably Senior-level now) for an extended period of time. I still reckon the Gotei are going to get decimated simply because there's no other way to introduce the Royal Guard without completely unbalancing the power scales in SS's favour unless there's a heck of a lot more SR than we thought (all 26 letters of the alphabet). [/font]

Meh, you would think these people would learn by now. Stabs to the chest, shots to the back don't do anything. Hell, Hyori's body was cut in half and yet she's still kicking.

Anyway, I was actually disappointed in this chapter. Did Kubo really have to spend an entire chapter talking about the strengths and weaknessess of the Quincies? I'd imagine 2-5 pages could've done the trick. He's really hell-bent on dragging this thing out even if it means dragging out the smallest of detail.

I gotta say though, I'm really hoping that Kubo is not turning this into Naruto or DBZ where every competant character that was capable of defending themselves has to rely on the main character to save the day. Again, I hope that's not the case, but it looks like it's heading in that direction, and even then, I wouldn't like Ichigo's chances in that predicament either.

I do wish the sandbagging will stop just so we can get a glimpse of what the Royal Guard looks like.

• 1 month later...
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Few things in the interim.

- If he actually is dead now Byakuya quite a well handled death. It's going to be weird reading Bleach without him.

- Kenpachi is now competing with Hitsugaya for my least favourite Bleach character, the guy is as one-dimensional as they come.

- Really liked this week's chapter, it was a nice development for both Yamamoto and Sasakibe who've been underdeveloped a long time in my books.[/font]

[quote name='Gavin' timestamp='1345829338' post='712283']
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Few things in the interim.

- Kenpachi is now competing with Hitsugaya for my least favourite Bleach character, the guy is as one-dimensional as they come.

- Really liked this week's chapter, it was a nice development for both Yamamoto and Sasakibe who've been underdeveloped a long time in my books.[/font]
[/quote]

I know, right? I think I begun losing interest in Kenpachi when he was fighting Nnoitra. And, now I'm at the point to where I hope the leader guy would do him in.

I actually didn't care for this weeks chapter. I find it much to late for Kubo to show me the bond between Sasakibe and Yama-ji. I can understand from Yama-ji's point of view, but at this point I just don't care because of the lack of development for Sasakibe.