OtakuBoards

Rob Zombie: Creative Genius or just screwed up?

Viper0529

When the movie House of 1000 Corpses came out (HO1KC), I saw it in the theaters, and I was disgusted. I thought that it was sick, twisted, and had no plot whatsoever besides basic gore. I am usually a fan of gore, but this was almost too twisted to be possible.

Then I started listening to his music very recently. I started off with the CD [I]The Sinister Urge[/I] , I loved his style of music, very industrial with a hint of metal. Then I bought [I]Hellbilly Delux[/I] and [I]American made music to strip by[/I]. I realized then that his movies were, more or less, just a homage to all of the old "campy" horror movies. Sort of like an even more disturbed Tarantino. Then I saw HO1KC again, and I actually liked it a lot more the second time I saw it. I dont know if it was because I was used to all of the cliche's in his music, or if it was that I didnt think of him as a madman, but more as a genius?

Then I saw the devils Rejects, and liked it even more than HO1KC. It wasnt scary, it was more like a revenge tale in the Old West. Sounds stupid I know.

I was just wondering what your opinions are on Rob Zombie? Does he have issues or is he ahead of his time?

You didn't like the movie until you listened to the Zombies music, the conclusion I draw is that you were brainwashed into liking his movie by listening to his music. I'd suggest listening to all of his material backwards, listening for something like "you wil like my gory movie"

[quote name='NekoSama101']I think Rob Zombie, Marlyn Mansion, and Michal Jackson are very similar. They're all musicains and they're all i bit messed up in the head. just a little tiny bit (sarcasm). anyways, that's my oppion and one day, it'll be worth a lot.[/quote]
[size=1]I know that at least Manson is a very learned guy. He attended pretty nice schools (private Catholic, if I'm not mistaken) as he was growing up. I've also seen an interview with him, and he sounded extremely rational and insightful.

I can't stand his music, but that doesn't mean he's crazy. I can't really speak for Rob or Mike, though.

I think LostLightbulb is right -- after liking his music, you sort of forced yourself to like it just because you're a fan of him. I'd recommend objectively reviewing it -- plot, acting, directing -- and see what you think of it then.[/size]

[size=1]Ah. Rob Zombie. He's my favorite artist of all time. What I hate right now is that people are beginning to call Rob Zombie a hick and stuff and that's he's giving up to country. That's totally not true. He likes to add his unique flavor to everything he does and his flavor changes from time to time. Back in White Zombie he was more punk oriented grungy guy and his music has the same. Very odd and grungy. Than after splitting with the WZ crew he went solo with Riggs, Blasko, and Tempesta. Hellbilly Deluxe, in my opinion is his greatest album ever. It's just pure perfection and the line up was great. His themed changed as well to more horror movie oriented style maintaning to grunge.

Sinister Urge is when you see his grungy style begin to fade because he's getting sick of the same old stuff as well as his current line up. Hellbilly Deluxe and Sinister Urge are the only two albums he's ever released to have the same exact line up as before.

House of 1000 Corpses is a great movie because not only is about killing and carnage and mayhem but it also represents the battle between the old zombie and the zombie that wanted to break out.

With Devils Rejects you see him fully transform into a guy obsessed with simplicity and such. The same goes for his new album Educated Horses. It's not filled with robots and flames and nearly naked ladies. Instead you've got a ranch and some hippies. (I know, wtf mate)

Rob Zombie is a shock rocker much like Alice Cooper. You can't expect the same thing everytime or it sounds like you're doing a cover of yourself.

I can't wait for his new animated movie, "The Haunted World of El' Superbeasto" It's gonna be an adult oriented cartoon with hellish themes written all over it.[/size]

[QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]I know that at least Manson is a very learned guy. He attended pretty nice schools (private Catholic, if I'm not mistaken) as he was growing up. I've also seen an interview with him, and he sounded extremely rational and insightful.

I can't stand his music, but that doesn't mean he's crazy. I can't really speak for Rob or Mike, though.

I think LostLightbulb is right -- after liking his music, you sort of forced yourself to like it just because you're a fan of him. I'd recommend objectively reviewing it -- plot, acting, directing -- and see what you think of it then.[/size][/QUOTE]

Rob is the same way. I saw an interview with him on VH1 and he was extremely intelligent sounding. It's usually the smart ones who like to freak you out XD. Seriously, though, I can think of many other of these cases.

Rob Zombie is okay. The only White Zombie I know of is Thunderkiss 69 which I like, but the only song as Rob Zombie I particularly like is Living Dead Girl. I have Hellbilly Delux, but I think it's pretty "meh". I don't do scary movies, so I never saw them, save little clips and extras from the DVD my friend got. I like his style, the sick bastard.

As a musician, any one who really pays attention knows that Rob Zombie is all about the schlock. I doubt anyone listens to him expecting "genius" level material. They expect random, horror-comedy-influenced songs that are fast and fun to listen to. That's all Hellbilly Deluxe was really about. White Zombie too, to a lesser extent. You can get that much just by looking at their album covers.

House of 1,000 Corpses seems to be mostly universely reviled. I enjoyed it for the same reason I was into his music when I was younger: it's fun. I'm not going to contest that that film is extremely derivitive, because it is... but I still enjoyed it on some level. Enough to pay the current $7 new price for the DVD now.

The Devil's Rejects, on the other hand, was absolutely excellent in my opinion. You definitely have to be into that type of movie, but it was a great 70s style psycho horror thriller and a fun character study. In particular, it's an amazing example of how important music can be to any movie. I cannot think of another film that used existing songs in such an effective, perfect way, quite honestly. My only real complain is that I don't think his wife can act.

In terms of intelligence, Rob is more up there than perhaps his music lets on. He's definitely an excessively intelligent guy. There seems to be this idea among many that having a character or well defined image in rock music means you're either a complete moron or totally insincere. I don't think that describes Zombie at all, let alone Marilyn Manson.

[size=1][color=slategray]It tends to be that those "scary" people can actually be really intelligent if you take the time to talk to them. Like this one kid I know, he wears the black and chains and all that classic "Gothic" stuff, but he grew up watching the History/Discovery channel, and he's practically a genious. Goes to show you how different people can be from their appearances.

Personally, I love Rob Zombie's music, he is one of my favorite musicians. But I cannot say I've seen any of his movies. I'd really like to, but it's hard to get ahold of anything in this small town. I wish I still had my subscription to Netflix. Damn. I've heard from people how great "The Devil's Rejects" was, and I'm just itching to see it.

But, no, I don't think he has issues, he is just as sane as we are. However sane that is.[/color][/size]