OtakuBoards

The N64-a disappointment?

Sephiroth

now we all know that the n64 is a quality machine with many quality games, but were you actually disappointed by it? As a console, it has not sold very well, particularly in the UK, what could the reasons be? maybe nintendo needs to change its image, after all, it is known as a kind of "kiddies" console, what with mario, donkey kong, banji, etc. and maybe it is a kiddies console, but the fact remains that as childish as the games may seem, they are very, very good. If the game cube is going to survive the console war, it has to learn from the N64's mistakes, that the public doesn't like childish games anymore, they want more mature games, nintendo have shown that they can have some very mature games that are also excellent, an example would be perfect dark, and perhaps even conkers bad fur day, which I think is still kind of a cutesy game. The N64 may not have sold well, but it has done good enough that it didn't end with nintendo's bankruptcy, like sega did. Although in my opinion, nintendo was only saved from bankruptcy from the popularity of the pokemon games....

[color=red]Well I think since N64 was Cartidge wasted alot of money to make games for Cartidge and when it comes out it costs alot since its a Cartige but it Nintendo way they wanted to stick with Caridge at the matter of time.Yeah even though Nintendo has a reputation as "kiddy console" but im pretty sure Nintendo learns mistake and will learn from it since now its gone CD with the GCN and from now the GCN will have more Mature games.I have to agree with you that Pokemon helped Nintendo alot but if Pokemon never existed I think Nintendo could have gone up with its famous games like Mario,Zelda etc. or maybe came up with an idea.O wells there goes my thought.But still N64 had great games of its own not much of a dissapointment to me[/color]

No its not a dissipinotment and i dont care if the games are kiddie ive played all the games you named except Conkers bad fur day only reason is cause im too youge and the warning scares off my parents. The only thing wrong was the lack of good rpg games cause the only ones that i thoght were good were the 2 zelda games i played quest put i though it was crap

Yes nintendo is thought to be a kiddie game however walk into ne n64 owners home and say you got ne 4 player games and on with the bond it goes...
Nintendo also did something that other companies have only touched on in releasing the hit computer game starcraft which is of a style that console games had yet to see at all....yes if you owned the computer game it was lame but as a console game nintendo was the first step in that styleof games{which i may say is my favorite style}

I don't think its the idea that it is a kiddie game machine or anything like that has anything to do with low sales. I mean look what happened with pokemon (which while many of you call it a kiddie game you've probably all played and loved it when it first came out). I think it has to do more with the way the games are marketed. I mean you've all seen the games and they are innovative. They experiment, there is none of the repetitve tomb raider junk with 5 games with the same exact gameplay with these games. They change everything. The thing is they really aren't marketed well. I mean compared to the amount of playstation game commercials how many N64 commercials have you seen?

[color=indigo]It depends what you mean by "failure". The Nintendo 64 certainly wasn't a commercial failure at all, it sold upwards of 30 million units worldwide...no shabby effort to be sure.

However, it certainly didn't outperform the PlayStation in terms of sales.

But in many ways, Nintendo 64 was more profitable than PlayStation. Software is where game profits are made...not hardware. In many ways, by having less third party support than PlayStation, Nintendo's own games were competing with less third party products. And as such, Nintendo's profits were sky high.

As for being a creative success... I have to say, I haven't played Nintendo 64 for quite some time. I haven't yet bought Paper Mario, but I'm sure that when I get it, I'll get back into my N64.

The best way to describe Nintendo 64 is the first time I saw Mario 64.

I remember buying the console and bringing it home...and my whole family were sitting around the TV. Everyone was utterly stunned by what they saw...and we literally sat and watched while I played for about two hours lol.

It was an unforgettable moment. A moment that proved beyond any doubt, the magic of Shigeru Miyamoto and his various design teams.

I had a similar reaction to Zelda: Ocarina of Time when I first played it...
...so for me, Nintendo has been all about success. Others can say what they like, but I consider Nintendo do be the best game developer on earth.[/color]

[color=red]Sweet James ya got a New Luigi Avatar!:)Cant wait till i get my own Avatar anyways back to the subject. Yeah I have to say Paper Mario brought me back to N64 indeed a very creative game.As i thought too Nintendo is the best game developer Nintendo has came out great games I have never experience before!

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]hmmmmmm pokemon... is a good game... they killed it when i heard about crystal thou... and all the spinoff's... like puzzle league... ill tell you... all but 2 of the 15 guys on my high school swim team had at least one of the pokemon games... thou it is a kiddie game... it would have been an older game if they hadnt directed it at kids...
in that moment they went from teen machine to kiddie console... and w/ younger kids they had to bug their parents to buy stuff not buy it themselfs like most teens can... im sure they did it for a reason thou... say lose the battle for N64 and GCN but on the next system... move it back to a "teen" system and have all the kids they do now... who dont have sony stuff... and they win a larger market share later... you just have to think about thier plans....[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

:rolleyes: Not all people who play video games are teens or adults,I was maybe 6 or 7 when I started playing video games,and no,in my opnion,Nintendo 64 was not a failure,and won't be one... So most of you are basicly saying that all EVIL games are so much better,beacuse it shows blood and guts,and may have some cussing!! I'd prefeirr Nintendo known as a "KIDDIE" console,than some system that produces mostly all Teen or Mature rated games! Such as Sony. I have noticed throught the years that sony has alot of evil oriented games,I hate those! Their queer,boring,and totaly pointless..... I like Banjo Kazooie,Mario Kart 64,ect! I do like some teen/mature games,but not many. Most teen/mature games don't interest me. One of my brothers friends has a Psx,and he has like all Resident Evils,and House of the Dead,and crap. My brother doesn't like this kid to much,his familly is weird,they all listen to music that have "F*CK" all the way through it.. Ok,well I'm just trying to say that "kiddie" games aren't bad,most of you sound like your trying to say that any games that doesn't have a "teen",or "mature" rating has to suck,well they don't! And to what Rico said,yes it may be true that some gamers arn't kids,but their are quit a number of people out their that would rather play games like Paper mario over Resident Evil......:mad: :D

[QUOTE] Originally posted by slasher:
:flaming: :flaming: :flaming:A N64 IS NO DISAPOINTMENT!!!!!LOSER!I HAVE ONE AND IT ROCKS! :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: [/QUOTE]

He didnt say that the n64 was a disapointment. All safer said that it was geared toward younger kids and not older people like teens and adults.

N64 wasn't a disappointment. The Zeldas beat the FF's. I think goldeneye and perfect dark were better then SF or MGS all the way.

Also perfect dark wasn't a kiddie game and either was conkers bad fur day, and a few others. :D

So far? Good system. But the catridges did waste money. but it was a nicer than to have to waste money on memory cards or lose data.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by KoTR121986 [/i]
[B]The Zeldas beat the FF's.[/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]uh wrong... FF7 set ALL kinds of records when it came out... zelda didnt... a lot more people have FF then zelda... thou they are both great games FF is better by leaps and bounds... mainly the stuff that comes from a CD not a cartrige thou... i think some CGI woulda helped zelda a lot... oh well it was still a good game and well worth 50 bucks... thou not 60 like MM is still selling for[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kuja [/i]
[B]

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]uh wrong... FF7 set ALL kinds of records when it came out... zelda didnt... a lot more people have FF then zelda... thou they are both great games FF is better by leaps and bounds... mainly the stuff that comes from a CD not a cartrige thou... i think some CGI woulda helped zelda a lot... oh well it was still a good game and well worth 50 bucks... thou not 60 like MM is still selling for[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

Ocarina of Time's gameplay was so much more innovative than Final Fantasy VII though. FFVII was merely a visual update to the older games.

I love FF to death...and I also love Zelda. But Zelda is a far more innovative video game by far.

Of course, they are also two very different games in their own right.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by pokemaster1 [/i]
[B]i am turning 14 teen i would rather choose from mario kart over mortal combat what iam saying is that the n64 was a pretty great system it was good i own one iam planning to get ps but i will keep the n64 cause it worth buying :babble: [/B][/QUOTE]
I agree,I'm turning 15 and I'd pick Mario Kart 64 over Mortal Combat,or any Resident Evil games! Nintendo RULES!!!!:wigout: :smirk: :D

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=crimson]well yes it was just a visual update... along w/ gameplay and a bunch of other things.... just like zelda was... thou they are both wonderful games... i prefer FF over zelda... hard choice yes... but cheaper games and longer games wins lol... thou i respect anyone who thinks different of me[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[color=deeppink]I don't think N64 was a disappointment at all, though, I may be a bit bias considering the fact that while growing up I wanted some sort of game system and never recieved one except GameBoy. So when I recieved N64, I was estatic. Not to mention, my parents had bought Star Wars Rogue Squadron for it, and since then, I've gotten hours of play out of it.

Now, I don't know too much about gaming systems and all of that, but I do know that N64 keeps me occupied when I'm bored, and it makes me happy on a bad day. And I say that that is NO disappointment at all.[/color]