OtakuBoards

Anime marathons

Master_J

So, me and my friend ( username: Anavel Gato) just skipped our senior prom to have a Mobile Suit Gundam marathon. It took us about 17 hours (from 7:40 AM to 12:50 AM the next day), but we actually managed to pull it off. We only left the room during the opening/ending themes (To use the restroom and get snacks.). In fact, we didn't pause once in the course of the marathon :animeknow .
Moral of the story:
Gundam>Prom :D :D

So... does anyone have any marathon stories? Failures or successes...

Haha, I find this pretty ironic, but.. I'm in an anime marathon right now at my college, looking for something to do while we watch a movie I already own anyway. It's a pretty big event that our Anime Society holds every semester, starting yesterday at 6 pm and ending today at 6 pm (right now it's 2 am), and consisting of anime that officers choose (myself included as club Secretary), the audience chooses, and pre-chosen anime through picking a various genre. And if you get tired of anime, we do watch some AMVs and play DDR in the other room.

I'd say these marathons we hold are largely a success, but in the only other one I went to I failed to stay awake the whole time, haha. I'll probably go back to my dorm at some point this time if I get really tired, but right now I'm alright.

Your marathon reminds me of last year when I went to an anime club instead of my senior prom, heh. It was totally worth it, I think.

[QUOTE=Master_J]So, me and my friend ( username: Anavel Gato) just skipped our senior prom to have a Mobile Suit Gundam marathon. It took us about 17 hours (from 7:40 AM to 12:50 AM the next day), but we actually managed to pull it off. We only left the room during the opening/ending themes (To use the restroom and get snacks.). In fact, we didn't pause once in the course of the marathon :animeknow .
Moral of the story:
Gundam>Prom :D :D

So... does anyone have any marathon stories? Failures or successes...[/QUOTE]Wow um your gonna regret that in the future.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Wow um your gonna regret that in the future.[/quote]
Not necessarily. (sp?) Are you going by what was told to you? Because I was also told that if I didn't go to my prom I would regret it. Well, I chanced it and didn't go, but I didn't do any type of anime marathon or something of a sort. I just chilled. And here it is 4 years later, and I could still careless about going. That theory doesn't work on everyone so lets not use it.

As far as marathon's go. I guess you can say I have them everyday..... I just put my tapes on and watch them as I go to sleep. Doubt that would be considered a successful marathon or not, but "shrugs"

Im all for the idea of anime marathons and what not, with all the box sets i have it's easy for me and my friends to do that, but i dunno if i would go to the extent of skipping over my prom for it. I went to my senior prom, and i went to the senior prom during my junior yearand enjoyed both. I'm an otaku but i definitly have an outside life as well, now something like a family get together....thats a dif story, heh.

[quote name='Diablo']I was also told that if I didn't go to my prom I would regret it. Well, I chanced it and didn't go, //snip// And here it is 4 years later, and I could still careless about going.[/quote]In contrast, I [i]went[/i] to my prom and I regret it. Worst $80 (CDN) I ever spent. The chicken was dry and~ anyway.

I love Anime Marathons. I spend entire days or entire nights watching a series with friends. I've done it with classic series and with friends I just don't get to watch much Anime with. Then there's some series I just can't appreciate unless I watch it all at once.

The most I've marathoned at once was Berserk. I will always have fond memories of sitting in a dark room watching episode after episode of badly encoded Berserk .rm's on that uncomfortable chair. The experience is irreplaceable and could never be repeated.

-r2

[SIZE=1]I've never really had a long or succcessful marathon, but I do tend to binge a lot when it comes to watching a series I have at my disposal online. Gundam SEED Destiny, for instance, I've been watching all weekend. I have about three more episodes to go, then I'm good.

Outlaw Star was a big one, as my friend got a hold of a boxset for around $60 and let me borrow it. Nothing beats laughing so hard that your parents call you out of the room to ask what you're watching. The hotsprings episode was great, by the way.

Speaking of Prom, I willfully chose not to go, deciding that it was stupid spending $100 on a dress I'll probably hate and wear only once in my life. That money is better spent on plane tickets up to Boston to see my Uncle.

Master_J, I have to agree with you. Gundam>Everything Else. :animeswea Can't help it, I'm a junkie.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=Sienna]I end up having an anime marathon almost every time I get a new box set. The moment I have a free evening I end up watching the whole thing from start to finish, or pretty close. I also end up watching lots of anime every time I am sick. Like this weekend I spent most of Saturday and today watching anime since I've been sick all weekend. It's one of the best ways to pass the time while you recover since I usually lack the attention span to play a game or to do other things while I am recuperating. So it's perfect. It's just enough to distract me from how rotten I feel while I am getting better.

Occasionally I do have a marathon with friends, but those are few and far between since all of us have very different schedules, so it?s rare for us to have a marathon. [/COLOR]

I don't know if you consider it anime, I do, I just don't consider it Japanese anime, when I came home from vacation during spring break I wached ALL of Beast Wars and ALL of Beast Machines. After waching that I wached Pilot Candidate, which is very short. (Note: this isn't all in one day, Beast Wars is 46 eps, Beast Machines the sequal to Beast Wars is 26 , and Pilot Candidate is 12.)

[COLOR=#656446]Marathons, huh? [i]Fruits Basket[/i] (26 episodes) and [i]Yami no Matsuei[/i] (13 episodes) were the only series I ever tried watching straight through. Needless to say that I managed to accomplish those feats, though not without my 'rents wondering why I was taking so much time to finish my "paper" and why I couldn't come with them to the beach. A local cable network also did a Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex marathon but I only caught the last 8 episodes or so. Booooo.

Oh, and I had a blast at my prom. I just wished I didn't have to dress up for it (but I was able to smuggle in my sneakers so hurrah for me!).[/COLOR]

Actually, a friend and I watched all of Inuyasha in one shot a few years ago. We skipped a few of the filler episodes we'd seen on TV, but saw at least 140 episodes over the course of march break. Since then we've done smaller ones a few times (Haibane Renmei - 13 episodes, X - 25 episodes, Saikano - 13 episodes, and each Sailor Moon season at various intervals), but never tried to top that first one. By the end of the week we were almost cross eyed, could practically [I]think[/I] in Japanese, and our parents were convinced we needed psychiatric help.

My most sucessful Anime marathon I completed last month. I managed to watch through Neon genesis evangelion and the tenchi muyou OVAs in their entirity. Alls I can say is that this [I]can't[/I] be good for your health. Although saying that, I do plan on trying to watch through my entire collection at once (although I doubt even Thanos himself could do that)

On the subject of Proms, I didn't go to mine. I am glad I didn't go to mine.

And that's my two cents

[quote name='indifference][COLOR=Sienna']I end up having an anime marathon almost every time I get a new box set. . [/COLOR][/quote]
Um watching a whole boxset at one counts as a marathon? Hmm well i guess I have once a week(gorsh)

[COLOR=DarkOrange]The last series that I marathoned through was [B]Peacemaker Kurogane[/B] -- which was delicious. The series that I REALLY want to marathon through right now [but I do NOT have the time to do so] is [B]Fushigi Yugi [/B]seasons 1 & 2. I don't know...I've just been in a FY soap opera-ish mood. I also have two boxsets that I need to marathon through because I've been wanting to watch them for quite a long time -- [B]DNAngel[/B] and [B]Chobits[/B]. I've had them both for a while, but just haven't the time. But yes, I am in the current mood of marathoning [B]Fushigi Yugi[/B]. I need to laugh, I need cry. It's good stuff :D

Oh yeah, I also feel a craving to marathon seasons 5 [Arlong Arc] & 12 [Drum Island Arc] of [B]One Piece[/B] - both of which are very good and sad seasons. As silly as this show may seem, it's actually brilliant stuff. I highly recommend seasons 5 & 9 of One Piece -- in the original Japanese, of course.

Okay. I must end my digression now :animeswea [/COLOR]

• 4 years later...
I knew there had to be one of these on here!

Okay, it's not exactly a marathon, in the sense of watching only one series, but I consider the following marathon-ish by my standards (read: I don't watch anime for hours anymore; no time). I've just watched the director's cut of episodes 21-24 of [i]Evangelion[/i], and now I'm typing quickly so I can move on to watching an episode each of the following: [i]GitS SAC: 2nd Gig, The World God Only Knows, Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino, Samurai Champloo,[/i] and [i]maybe R.O.D. the TV[/i], if I don't expire from sensory overload. That is all; back to anime.

Oh yeah, the Eva director's cuts are a great preparation to [i]The End of Evangelion[/i], if anyone's not seen them.