OtakuBoards

Instrumentals

Albert Flasher

[COLOR=Sienna]Who here loves instrumentals? Instrumentals are generally songs that are just instruments with little to no lyrical content.

Some of my favourites include:

Rush - 2112 Overture: Just generally a very awesome song. It's got awesome guitar work and incredible-as-usual drums.

Rush - YYZ: Greatest use of bass in a song, quite possibly ever. Geddy Lee is truely a master.

Rush - La Villa Strangiato: Without a doubt the most sheerly epic instrumental ever. It starts off slow, with a soft spanish guitar playing, and than builds into an awesome display of sheer incredible talent and incredible musical unity of all three band members, in an incredible display of.. well, you'd have to hear it.

What are your favourites?[/COLOR]

My favorite pure instrumental has to be Double Bass by Gorillaz. It's essentially just a mix of keyboard sounds and some great drumwork. Mostly it's a recurring beat with some distortions each time and it's just plain great to listen to. The only lyric is in the middle when the music stops and a voice beckons "all of which makes me anxious... at times unbearably so."

[size=1]Truly the god of instrumental rock is Joe Satriani. I highly recommend any of his tracks to listen to if you like instrumentals. The guitar is powerful, and with Stu Hamm on bass, nothing can go wrong.

There are a few videos of him out there on the internet, but one I highly recommend for you to find is "The Crush of Love." This is a truly fantastic instrumental.

Also, if you can, try and find Stu Hamm's bass solo. It is made up of a few different parts, firstly "Love Thang," then it goes into "Moonlight Sonata," as Stu Hamm is famous for working classical music into his records, then "Sexually Active," and finally "Country Music," some of the best bass fingertapping you will ever hear. If bass solos are your thing, that is.

Also, a lot of stuff by Steve Vai is well worth checking out, although he doesn't always do instrumentals, as he can sing and play guitar at the same time.
[/size]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]Aside from the classical music of early prodigies and masterminds, I have someone today who simply stands out: Akira Yamaoka.

"Breeze - In Monochrome Light," "Sickness Unto Foolish Death," and countless other pieces masterfully blend piano with the sound-effect technology of today to produce a symphony of feelings, so to speak, which are simply wondrous and awe inspiring (to me, that is).

Akira Yamaoka is my choice for instrumental genius.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Cygnus X-1][COLOR=Sienna']Rush - La Villa Strangiato: Without a doubt the most sheerly epic instrumental ever. It starts off slow, with a soft spanish guitar playing, and than builds into an awesome display of sheer incredible talent and incredible musical unity of all three band members, in an incredible display of.. well, you'd have to hear it. [/COLOR][/quote]

I did. And you're right, it kicks immense amounts of ***. Albeit I was reading a manga while listening and I only heard it once, but it was still awesome. Also, it's got a guitar version of the Tex Avery theme song played at multiple parts!

A few of my favorite insturmentals have been done by Metallica. One is "[COLOR=DarkRed]The Call of (the) Ktulu[/COLOR]", the other is "[COLOR=DarkRed]Orion[/COLOR]". They are both heavy and melodic, which is a good combination.

They also did a song called "[COLOR=DarkRed]To Live is to Die[/COLOR]", which is basically an instumental, but they have a few spoken lines - a quote from their Bassist Cliff Burton, who died in an accident and they wrote the song for him. It's a very moving insturmental.

[COLOR=Red] does electronica music count? well if they do:

Speed Of Sound[Brian Walker's Fully Anesthetized Anti-Gravitation Reworking] / Coldplay: because he manages to take the original song tear it down, leave the chourus in and add a couple shots of aderanline to it, by giving it an urban noise to it, but it sounds like you're in the middle of nowhere. major respect to my cousin Brian for redoing the track, the title comes from:

"When you listen to it, it sounds like you're sleeping and floating 100,000 feet off the ground" - Dr.Walker

you can't find it on the internet though.

sorry.

thank you for your time[/COLOR]

Hmmm, Instrumentals eh?

Tetris By [URL=http://www.vgmetal.com]Powerglove[/URL] Is one of my favorites - old video game music Put on guitar and Metal-ified. Pure Genius.

Also, Whilst searching the Interweb, I Found [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX3ugR1Kc_M&search=mad%20mike%20canon%20rock]This thing by this guy[/URL] It seems to be a rock remix of a classical piece of music (the piece has been on Evangelion), Called Canon or somesuch.

[COLOR=#656446][SIZE=1]^ Johann Pachelbel's [i]Canon in D[/i]?

Do operetta pieces count? [b]Can-Can[/b] by Jacques Offenbach - I've yet to see [i]Orpheus in the Underworld[/i] but this piece never fails to cheer me up. Yes, it's been done to death by a thousand commercials, shows and movies yet it never seems to lose its novelty, does it?[/SIZE][/COLOR]