OtakuBoards

Best guitarist of the new millenium

2010DigitalBoy

I know everyone loves to say how awesome all the eightees guitarists were, but I wanna hear about the best guitarist of our modern age.

My picks:

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Omar A. Rodriguez-Lopez [/COLOR] - [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]The Mars Vol[/COLOR]ta - This man is a musical genius, and writess all the music for The Mars Volta, which is some of the coolest friggin junk I have ever heard. His guitar styles are unique, and he can make all kinds of crazy noises with it. Some of the shredding going on in their songs is pure insanity.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Claudio 'Freaking' Sanches [/COLOR] - [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Coheed And Cambria[/COLOR] - While their music doesn't always focus on guitars, this guy sometimes comes out and pulls some crazy *** solos. He is increadibly proficient with both acoustic and electric guitars, which meld together in some of their songs. Some of the riffs (In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3, Welcome Home) are just plain awesome, and he lays out some mighty, and quite lengthy solos (The Final Cut features a 3 and a halfminute solo, which I've heard is lengthened out to like 7 minutes in concert.)

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Daron Malakian [/COLOR] - [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]System of a Down[/COLOR] - Not only does he write all the stuff for SOAD, but he can play just about any instrument. His guitaring is just bloody awesome, focusing less on solos and more on great riffs and unique sounds. The Hypnotize album is just amazing.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Synyster Gates [/COLOR] - [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Avenged Sevenfold [/COLOR] - What can I say, the guy is bloody awesome! Just listen to the City of Evil CD and you'll likely agree... his guitar solos, played with the assistance of rhythm guitarist Zacky Vengeance, are all totally awesome and blow most other new bands' guitar solos out of the water. I like their style of a sort of squealing guitar. Also, he can play Spanish guitar well.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Herman Li - DragonForce[/COLOR] - Oh my god there is no word in the english language to descibe how good this guy is. His guitar style is non-stop speed. And it's nothing like thrash metal - all speed no musical thought. His riffs are works of art, and his solo's even more. But he really shines when you see him play. His fingers are a blur, and he can play either side of the fretboard! When it comes to a guitarist to idolise, I idolise this guy.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Mick "#7" Thompson - Slipknot[/COLOR] - This guy is my favorite new age guitarist for heavy riffs.Play his music with headphones and the soundwaves pound at your eardrums. Fast and complex, some of his riffs give a kind of hypnotic feel which is very cool. And he can shread. Oh yes he can shread.

These two are my absolute favorite new age guitarists. I have some old age favorites aswell, but thats for a different thread.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Keith[/COLOR] - [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Bad Acid Trip [/COLOR] - [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Bad Acid Trip [/COLOR] can only be described as energetic bursts of psychopathic fury. And that's exactly what [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Keith[/COLOR]'s guitar is. He plays extremely well and makes some insanely trippy noises. While there are no real solos in any of their songs, since all of them are usually around 1-2 minutes long, he still magaes to get some adrenaline-pumping, zany guitar work fitted in. The song [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Zombie Nation [/COLOR] is probably his best work.

haha, you guys drunk ? ;)

[B][I]YNGWIE MALMSTEEN[/I][/B] Hands down this man is considred a god for his fusion of classical and modern guitar and playing in scales not many other do and not to mention his blisteringinginging speed :animenose . Everyone else mentioned is good but this guy has literally created a kickarse new style of guitar playing. I recommend you "aquire" some of his stuff it is AMAZING. Check out his speed metal symphony.

Also. Idk wo exactly the guitarist is, but the band DragonForce has some AWESOME guitarist(s) xP

Edit: DragonForce dude was mentioned above :P :D

[size=1]Some of my favourites that I have perhaps mentioned in other threads:

[b]Steve Vai [/b]- Fantastic at fingertapping, some mental guitar solos, and overall just plain full of attitude. His band is also pretty amazing, with Billy Sheehan on bass and some others, but that's beside the point. I truly believe that Steve Vai is one of the best guitarists of this century.

[b]Joe Satriani - [/b]I have said this before in the [b]Instrumentals [/b]thread, but he is the god of instrumental rock. His sparing use of effects is fantastic, and his soaring guitar lines never fail to bring a smile to my face. Another solo guitarist with an incredible back-up band behind him, including Stu Hamm, in my opinion, one of the best bassists in the world.

[b]John Frusciante - Red Hot Chili Peppers - [/b]Puts so much passion and energy into his playing, it is impossible for him to be overlooked in this thread. Some amazingly funky guitar lines combined with fantastic solos make one hell of a guitarist.

And I totally agree with Sky Blu and Dooxy about Herman Li and Yngwie Malmsteen. Both incredible guitarists.
[/size]

[quote name='SkyBlu][COLOR=DarkRed]Herman Li - DragonForce[/COLOR'] - Oh my god there is no word in the english language to descibe how good this guy is. His guitar style is non-stop speed. And it's nothing like thrash metal - all speed no musical thought. His riffs are works of art, and his solo's even more. But he really shines when you see him play. His fingers are a blur, and he can play either side of the fretboard! When it comes to a guitarist to idolise, I idolise this guy.[/quote]

[color=darkred]Yeah dude, I totally agree, he [i]is[/i] that good. His non-stop style suits power metal, too, since he's able to play so fast and thoughtlessly. His hair looks cool, too.

I feel sorry for Sam Totman though, heh. Since Herman is always in the spot light, he's always often referred to as "the other guy".[/color]

heh yeh. Sam gets totally up staged by Herman. But Herman always wears a chrisp white shirt, has incredibly long hair and plays an Ibanez. Sam is just....to normal. I think that's why they duel their solos - so Sam gets a moment in the spotlight, albiet a short moment as Herman steps in with his soloing.

Hmm well since Jimi hendrix was the best gutarist of all time it's still him. But if he doesn't count then um the guitarist from metallica(some kind of monter ws made now so he is new millenium). For some reason I cannot remember his name but I remember everyone but him and the new bassist wierd.

[SIZE=1][quote name='Avenged666fold']the guitarist from metallica(some kind of monter ws made now so he is new millenium). For some reason I cannot remember his name but I remember everyone but him and the new bassist wierd.[/quote]

Guitarist = Kirk Hammet

New Bassist = Rob Tujiro (I think that's how you spell it)

And I agree, Kirk is a good guitarist, but not on the St. Anger album, which is what you were considering to be 'new millenium'. I [u]very[/u] must prefered him during the early days, back in the '80s, so i didnt include him. Infact, Metallica were a lot better back then - they hadn't sold out by then :animeangr [/SIZE]

[FONT=Georgia]I'd have to say Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead is my favorite relatively recent guitarist! He's one of those musicians that can really convey emotion through their playing, like on The Tourist. And then he can just rock out like on Electioneering and 2+2=5. His style kind of reminds me of David Gilmore, but more crazy, loose, and modern. [/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
Probably not as well known as those listed and definately not a "great" ,however, Thomas Erak of The Fall of Troy is quite an impressive guitarist and he is only 21. In fact he would be my pick for best live and recorded guitarists of today's crop of rock musicians, however, I do feel Jack White should be mentioned as well.

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]John Frusciante from the Chili Peppers, definitely. Him and Flea practically make the Chili Peppers sound, and they stay down to earth while doing it. Honourable mention for Tokin Blackman from TISM, for showing how skilled he is with his guitar despite the fact Eugene de la Hotcroixbuns synth and keyboards dominate the TISM sound.[/font][/color][/size]