OtakuBoards

Best anime DVD purchase?

2010DigitalBoy

There are a lot of great anime out there, but when they're costing 20 bucks and only having 3 episodes with no extras, it really isn't worth it. So I came to ask, what animes have worthwhile DVDs? Could be movies or series, long as it's really worth the money.

I think a lot of the Complete Collection bow-sets are really good because they give you the whole series for cheap if you're not looking for fancy DVD cases. That way if there's a series you aren't sure about, you could just buy the whole thing cheap, and if it sucks, oh well.

Personally, one of the reasons I stopped buying anime DVDs is because so many lack in extras, but some (Like the [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Animatrix[/COLOR] for example) are worth it.

I get a lot of my box sets from amazon or ebay, though you have to be very careful when going around and paying attention to the descriptions and region codes. The most expensive box set i have payed for was $50 though, and I have around 10 anime box sets. Most of them are like $25-$45, sometimes cheaper and they are legit with good quality and if they are japanese audio the eng subtitles are usually pretty decent.

But yeah, i don't believe in buying just volumes at a time. If your gonna buy animes your better off getting the whole set so you can watch the entire series.

Well if you're a fan of the Miyazaki flicks the new disney releases of all his movies are well worth the money. Lots of extras and not to mention the movies itself are worth their weight in gold.

But in regards to just regular series, theres never really much in the way of extras except for trailers released by the publisher and what-not. Although the Neon Genesis Platinum dvds had some pretty nifty extras, and the Fruits basket dvds i remember had some cool interviews with the seiyuu actors/actresses among other things, but thats about all i can think of.

Most DVDs In england are worth the price tag, due to the fact that Our anime releases (well, a large number of them) Have some respectable extras on disc.

Na example would be how they cut the MVM production "chobits" down by 1 disc, to 6. They put all the stuff on your DVD 7 (recap episodes and featurette) as extras on DVD 6. As well as the usual Art gallery.

I agree with QuincyArcher. The recent Miyasaki films are really worth the money...as are his older ones e.g. Mononoke etc. I highly recommend Howl's Moving Castle too. As regards series'....Fruits Basket is a pretty good series to buy. There's a total of 4 dvds which isn't going to break the bank really, and the series itself is REALLY worth the watch. Great animation and really excellent plotline, despite the slightly....odd inital premise of people turning into Zodiac animals lol.

Another series I would really recommend giving a go is Get Backers. It's got 10 dvds in the set, which is a downer because of the price...but again, the animation is top quality and the story keeps you hooked. Granted, there are a couple of filler episodes, but still, they're decent episodes to boot :D Get Backers also has an unassuming premise of two guys, Ban and Ginji who run a stolen/lost item recovery service. However, the way I see it is that that "main" plot really is a subplot...a gloss for all the intricately detailed subplots and background story that goes on throughout the series.

So...yeah. Hope that helped a little.

~Forest x

Probably the best anime DVD purchase I've ever made was the Saiyuki Double Barrell Vol. 1.
It had 10 episodes on 2 DVDS, as well as cultural background notes, production sketches, and clean open/close.
And from what I can remember it was only slightly more expensive than an anime with only 3 or 4 episodes. No more than $27 if I remember correctly.

Guest D. Resurrected
[QUOTE=Tical]There are a lot of great anime out there, but when they're costing 20 bucks and only having 3 episodes with no extras, it really isn't worth it. So I came to ask, what animes have worthwhile DVDs? Could be movies or series, long as it's really worth the money.

I think a lot of the Complete Collection bow-sets are really good because they give you the whole series for cheap if you're not looking for fancy DVD cases. That way if there's a series you aren't sure about, you could just buy the whole thing cheap, and if it sucks, oh well.

Personally, one of the reasons I stopped buying anime DVDs is because so many lack in extras, but some (Like the [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Animatrix[/COLOR] for example) are worth it.[/QUOTE]

I remember buying the box set of studio ghibli films.50 bucks for 7 american and non american dubed studio ghibli films.Best 50 bucks I have ever spent in my intire life. :animesmil

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I think that it would be HOWLS MOVING CASTLE, FRUITS BASKET BOX SET, SPIRITED AWAY and many others 'cause i like romance and comedy so most of my DVDs have this. :animesigh[/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkGreen]Saiyuki double barrel collection offer 8-10 episodes a piece. Also Scryed has been lowered to 3 DVDs with yet again 8-10 episodes. As far as extras im not sure but if you havent seen these anime you can get alot for your money.[/COLOR]

The two best purchases I've made (Miyazaki aside for now) have been the box-set of .hack//SIGN with the collector's pins and the box-set of Jubei-chan: The Ninja Girl.

The .hack//SIGN box-set cost a lot of money, about $130 or more with tax, but if you really like the anime it's worth it. Jubei-chan was only $40, with 13 episodes. Not a lot of extras with Jubei, but the series itself is very good, so I recommend buying that. For a fan, .hack//SIGN would have some cool extras concerning the history behind the series.
Of course, Bandai will soon release a much cheaper .hack//SIGN box-set (if they havne't already), so if your patient you could save a ton of money.

And of course, any Hayao Miyazaki film is a great buy.

[SIZE=1]You know, considering my Saiyuki RELOAD boxset had crappy subtitles, no extras and no dubbed version, it was pretty decent. :rolleyes:

It cost hardly anything, was shipped out to me really quickly and I at least got the gist of the series, despite some really amusing typos in the subtitles. I'd be annoyed if I'd paid a lot more, but considering, I think it was good enough.

My Slayers complete (The Slayers, The Slayers Next and The Slayers Try) boxset was a pretty good price too, I think, considering the whole thing all together has nearly one hundred episodes.[/SIZE]