OtakuBoards

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Desbreko

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']The setting, players, and options really determine the atmosphere of the game, though.[/color][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Ehh. Rather, changing the settings changes the atmosphere.

Aceburner nailed it. SSB is nowhere near as fun without the zaniness. Besides, half of player ability is improvisation, not just moveset mechanics. If you can still win with the entire stage against you, I have more respect than if you straight-up beat me PvP only.

And you don't have to be in a tourney to see crazy combos. We's be doin' that all the time. :p

[QUOTE][I][COLOR=#4B0082]Regarding the open tournament, I've thought about doing something similar when I get SSBB and I also thought of doing it when I first got SSBM. The thing that stopped me, though, was that Link, Mario, and others always have similar move sets as in the previous games. So people tend to stick with the old characters they know instead of jumping in with a completely new character and [i]really[/i] not having any clue what they're doing. For example, you can bet I'd use Link in such a tourney and spin attack my way to victory.[/COLOR][/I][/QUOTE]
But would it be fun? Or would it just be stroking your ego? (The aforementioned hallmate invariably confuses the two.)

They're bound to be similar, but then I'm probably starting out on Pit just because I like his options. Later I'll switch back to Ike.

You and I feel the same about the free-for-alls. Unfortunately, I don't have the regular access that would allow for such all-around fun, so I'm reduced to mastering Marth, with whom I have now eliminated the threat of being Meteor Smashed without using Counter. Yeah. (Provided, of course, I don't just do something utterly stupid.) Still workin' on the wavedash. Owning my own copy would help with that, though.[/FONT]

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#4B0082]Serious matches tend to have more rigid rule sets but when you're really good at the game it can be a lot of fun to fight 1v1 against someone of the same skill level without anything to get in the way. SSBM is incredibly deep when you get into it and fighting a highly skilled player pushes your limits. It's different from casual matches where anything goes and you can just relax and do crazy crap (though it's also a lot different from Street Fighter), and it's not for everybody, but it's fun in its own way.

[b]Edit:[/b]
Using Link wouldn't be as fun as trying out a new character. But using a new character and getting eliminated in my first match of the tourney would be even less fun.

Also: If you get SSBB and have wireless access, Allamorph, we'll have to do Marth vs Marth some time since he's my best character in Melee as well. I've been getting really good at [url=http://www.wikihow.com/Shffl'd-in-Super-Smash-Bros-Melee][u]SHFFL'ing[/u][/url] with him to chain air and ground attacks, and using his down-air move to pseudo-meteor smash people off the edge of the stage into the pit so that they can't recover. And yes, wavedashing comes with much practice; I'm pretty good at it by now but still haven't really mastered it.

Here's to hoping they don't screw over his moveset. :animeknow[/color]

There is a pretty big community for SSBM in my hometown and they've developed some pretty good characters...such as Ice Climbers. If you get caught by one of them, it's time to get infnited to death. There is a rule in the Smash Boards, I beleive that you can only use the IC infinite for a certain time before you can't use it anymore...hmmm...

I played SSBM religiously for a while, using mainly Link and Fox. We would always play on the stupid Star Fox level and I hated it, because my friends would run from me and then wait till I overpursued and punished me. So as a revenge, I picked the Earth Temple stage or the Pokemon Stadium level. Take that fools.

Guest The Blue Jihad
Oddly enough, even in light of how much each of you have played, I'd probably still put the fear of Allah into you.

Though 8500 hours logged in Melee might have something to do with that. Works out to about 1400 hours each year, which I easily passed in those 3 years I was playing Melee hardcore with my friends. 1400 per year means playing Melee about 3 hours each day. I did way more than that, heh.

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']Here's to hoping they don't screw over his moveset. :animeknow[/color][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Here's hoping he's still there. What with Ike being on the crew-list, I fear they got rid of him.

I guarantee I've logged less hours than any of you. :( My learning curve is pretty high, though so that makes up for lack of time.[/FONT]

Guest The Blue Jihad
Character roster from Melee to Brawl? My thoughts in no particular order:

Marth stays. Roy gets the boot.

Game & Watch gone.

Mewtwo and Jigglypuff stay.

Pichu gone.

Dr. Mario gone.

Falco stays.

Ganondorf stays. Though with original move-set instead of Falcon clone. :bawl:

In terms of newcomers that haven't been announced already, I'm looking at Krystal, King Dedede, Captain Olimar, , Bowser Jr., Mii (some option for them), Young Link (WW form) and probably King K. Rool or whatever the **** his name is.

[quote name='The Blue Jihad']Though 8500 hours logged in Melee might have something to do with that.[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Just maybe. lol You probably would wipe the floor with me, at least for a while, because I'm way too used to fighting the stupidly predictable CPU opponents. It always takes me a bit to get used to fighting real people again.

Which is the biggest reason I'm looking forward to online play in SSBB. I'll be able to fight real people whenever I want instead of only on rare occasions when I can meet up with someone else who plays regularly.

About Marth, I doubt they'd ditch him because of Ike. If anything I'd guess they'd replace Roy, since Ike looks slower but more powerful in the same way Roy is compared to Marth.[/color]

[quote name='The Blue Jihad']In terms of newcomers that haven't been announced already, I'm looking at Krystal, King Dedede, Captain Olimar, , Bowser Jr., Mii (some option for them), Young Link (WW form) and probably King K. Rool or whatever the **** his name is.[/QUOTE][size=1]Captain Olimar seems like a very likely choice. While were on the subject I'd love to see a Pikmin-inspired level where people get eaten by giant birds and such.

I can't imagine losing a lot of characters, either. Maybe some of the duplicates will go (like Pichu and Roy,) but characters like Game & Watch add a lot of flavor to the game. I know he was one of my favorite additions to Melee, even if his move set was awful. The more characters the better.

Personally I think the assist trophies are the most interesting new feature (next to online play, of course.) It reminds me of the Marvel vs. Capcom series, although hopefully these assists are more useful than most of those turned out to be.

The Excitebike assist trophy previewed so far was awesome. I hope we can get some similar ones for Wave Race and Pilotwings.

-Shy[/size]

[QUOTE=The Blue Jihad]Character roster from Melee to Brawl? My thoughts in no particular order:

Marth stays. Roy gets the boot.[/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]I dunno. Roy's good training for Marth. It's like having a natural speed handicap.

[QUOTE][I]Game & Watch gone.[/I][/QUOTE]
I think he is. Jays, did I hate that character.

[QUOTE][I]Mewtwo and Jigglypuff stay.

//snip//

Ganondorf stays. Though with original move-set instead of Falcon clone. :bawl:[/I][/QUOTE]
[I]Agreed.[/I] He needs to be able to use that sword that they so tantalizingly had him swinging in his victory sequence. That would rock.

Besides, not only was Warlock Punch insanely slow, but Roy's Counter was an instant death sentence to it, no matter the damage. Anytime I saw G on the field, I swapped out to Roy.

I can't say much about other newcomers. My only stipulation is that they not be crappy.

[quote name='Desbreko][COLOR=#4B0082']About Marth, I doubt they'd ditch him because of Ike.[/COLOR][/quote]
You never know.

Online play for me will probably be a no go unless I mooch. I'm poor and utilitarian, and because of strict schedules in regard to my major I have no job. I takes what I can gets.

So wait, they [I]named[/I] that tactic? I always just thought of it as down-dodging.

[quote name='The Blue Jihad']I'd probably still put the fear of Allah into you.[/quote]

Alla, heh.[/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]I'm betting we'll see a Twilight Princess style Ganondorf, the same way Link is getting his TP makeover. (Wow, that sounds pretty bad when you use the acronym.) In which case giving him the broadsword he had in TP seems likely for at least one attack, though I can't imagine them turning him into yet another swordsman character.

Honestly, I wouldn't miss Roy too much. His sweet spot being in the middle of his sword instead of the tip hurts him a lot, as well as not as many of his lighter attacks having the knockback power for comboing like Marth's do. About his only good power hits are his side smash and some of his side-B slashes.

Speaking of sweet spots, I hope Ike's sword acts more like Link's than Marth's or Roy's, without as much reliance on hitting with the sweet spot. That thing looks like it should do plenty of damage no matter what part of it hits you, and it would make for a great crowd clearer.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']Speaking of sweet spots, I hope Ike's sword acts more like Link's than Marth's or Roy's, without as much reliance on hitting with the sweet spot. That thing looks like it should do plenty of damage no matter what part of it hits you, and it would make for a great crowd clearer.[/color][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]It's Ragnell. It's the cheapest weapon in FE history, contesting even Luna because it [I]has no usage decay[/I]. It will hurt people. That is enough.

I'm kind of surprised they essentially gave him Roy's up-B, but I am [I]very[/I] pleased to be able to use Aether. And he doesn't flinch at all. I am going to love this guy.

*checks dojo*

OH MY GOSH. Lyndis is an assist trophy. jklhljkljklgjlgkjdjklfjghd yes.[/FONT]

Guest Sakurazukamori
[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]
Honestly, I wouldn't miss Roy too much. His sweet spot being in the middle of his sword instead of the tip hurts him a lot, as well as not as many of his lighter attacks having the knockback power for comboing like Marth's do. About his only good power hits are his side smash and some of his side-B slashes.

Speaking of sweet spots, I hope Ike's sword acts more like Link's than Marth's or Roy's, without as much reliance on hitting with the sweet spot. That thing looks like it should do plenty of damage no matter what part of it hits you, and it would make for a great crowd clearer.[/color][/QUOTE]

I actually like Marth better than Roy, I never understood why though. Yet if Ike would have the sword that reacts to Link's sword, might as well having the same character either way. For me, it wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, I wouldn't miss Roy either because I thought he didn't have great impact comparing to others.

[color=#4B0082]Nah, Ike would still play completely different from Link even if his sword had similar hit boxes. Link is a mixed bag of long and medium range attacks due to his projectiles, while Ike looks to be purely a swordsman like Marth and Roy. Plus Ike's sword attacks will no doubt be very different from Link's. There's definitely room for both.[/color]

OH MY FREAKING GOD.

[IMG]http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/sonic/sonic.jpg[/IMG]

Sonic. In the new Smash. Who the Hell would have thought, to stray so far from Nintendo to give us such an awesome character? I'm freaking out. O_O :p

[URL="http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html"]Smash Bros. DOJO!!![/URL] has a video of the blue hedgehog in action, in addition to another video today that gives us some more shots of people Brawlin' out, and it all looks amazing. As if I wasn't excited enough about this game!! >_<

Thank God it's not April 1st again...

Guest The Blue Jihad
I'm utterly facepalm disappointed.

I mean...I can't see how any supposedly "old school" SNES/Genesis gamers can be joyed about this in the least. This isn't the Sonic we grew up on. For years now it hasn't been the Sonic we grew up on. Over the past 10 years Sonic Team has butchered the character to where he's nothing like what he was on Genesis. The character started as Sega's speedy mascot competition. That's all he was. He had no voice. His "attitude" was the result of hard-edge marketing, not some annoying "Gotta modernize this guy" developer stupidity. That same stupidity is what gave Shadow a gun.

The Sonic here is the end product of that "Gotta modernize this guy" stupidity.

This as a very dark day for the industry.

But whatever. I guess this is just what happens when game development drops into the 9th circle of fan-service hell.

[color=#4B0082]Wow, did you seriously just bash Sonic's inclusion because of his personality, Alex? Not a word about what we saw him doing during actual gameplay (ironically, he has the charge-and-roll move from the Genesis games), or anything else, yet you harp on his [i]personality?[/i] I don't get you. lol

Anyway, I think Sonic looks pretty awesome. From the few moves we got to see in the video it looks like he might be similar to the old Pikachu from SSB. In which case I will absolutely love him, especially if he can compete with Fox for speed.

By the way, did anyone else hear that SSBB has been delayed until January 24, 2008, in Japan? And now the release date on Smash Bros. Dojo's English site has been changed back to TBD from the previous December 3, 2007, date. This makes the Des sad. :animedepr[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]By the way, did anyone else hear that SSBB has been delayed until January 24, 2008, in Japan? And now the release date on Smash Bros. Dojo's English site has been changed back to TBD from the previous December 3, 2007, date. This makes the Des sad. :animedepr[/color][/QUOTE][size=1]I did read that. [url=http://orangelazarus.com/2007/10/sonic-brawl.php][Link!][/url] If the Japanese version is delayed until the end of January, I can't imagine we'll get it in the US until at least March.

Sonic being in this game is a great thing. I wonder we'll get some other classic Sega characters as well.

-Shy[/size]

[color=darkred]I hope they don't butcher the Sega thing though. I think that as far as the Sonic universe goes, I could only really accept a further Tales and Knuckles, but the likes of Eggman, Amy Rose and that fat cat would ruin it because there'd just be too many, and I'm sure that the former three would have priority of the latter since they're the three most popular characters.

But yeah, Sonic does sound interesting. Alex, I see your point about how Sonic has been "modernised" over the years, but I don't think that's relelvent to him being included in SSBB. Just enjoy the occassion you cynic. lol[/color]

Guest The Blue Jihad
Move-wise, I like it. I think it could be fun to play as him.

But other than that, I'm disgusted. The entire Brawl dev cycle...it feels like fans could have requested Senor Bag of Crap from MadTV and he would have made it in.

The great Mario vs Sonic rivalry is what's driving Sonic's inclusion, right? But when was there any question who had the superior mascot? Back in the SNES/Genesis era. Back then it was neck-to-neck.

So to see them using such a lame "current" Sonic is terrible. That's not the Sonic that ever gave Mario a run for his coins. You know?

[color=#4B0082]Sure, they're including a lot of characters that people have been crying for, but isn't that the whole selling point of Smash Bros.? I mean, it says right on the box of SSB, "Duke it out as your favorite Nintendo characters." Adding other popular characters can only increase SSBB's appeal and attract more sales.

Sonic's current personality is pretty lame, I'll agree with you there. But I don't really care, considering he's in platformers and now a fighter where such things don't matter, just like I don't really care that Mario is actually a fat plumber.[/color]

Guest The Blue Jihad
The attraction to Smash Bros was more "the Nintendo best of the Nintendo best beating the crap out of each other". Third-stringers like Geno and Ridley don't really fit the bill of Nintendo Best. Nor do most of the top "official" Sakurai poll results. What they're doing with Brawl's lineup reminds me of BASEketball doing inter-league and inter-sports play, then drafting players from prison. It just gets ugly. ****, it's already getting ugly.

And so help me God, if I have to hear anything from Sonic in-game, I'm going to kick a kitten, a puppy, and then step on a hamster. In that order. Going to get rid of his stupid arse voice and music. I'll hack my Wii if I have to.

[quote name='The Blue Jihad']And so help me God, if I have to hear anything from Sonic in-game, I'm going to kick a kitten, a puppy, and then step on a hamster. In that order. Going to get rid of his stupid arse voice and music. I'll hack my Wii if I have to.[/QUOTE]

And yet another thing we can blame 4Kids for. The old VA Rawks.

On that note, I would like to say that gunplay was FAR from the worst thing to happen to Shadow the Hedgehog. Cussing in a Sonic game? THAT was what sucked about it. Also, the fact that one single misguided homing dash on even the earliest levels would send you careening off a cliff.

Also, I look forward to the release of this game more than ever thanks to this news. I think I'll head over to the GameFAQs board to see how much worse it's gotten thanks to this news.

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Honestly Alex, you disappoint me. When I was a kid, I grew up playing Mario games on my Super Nintendo, this is true. But I also played a butt load of Sonic the Hedgehog on my Sega Genesis and for him to finally be in a fighting franchise that I love so much is just awesome for me.

I honestly don't give **** about Sonic's voice, or personality. He looks badass and fun to play. I love Sonic, I love Smash Bros. so him being in Brawl makes me very happy. I mean it's not like... [I]Silver[/I] is in Brawl. I'm sure that Sonic will be the only one from SEGA to be joining the Nintendo gang.

...Maybe Tails. [i]Maybe.[/i][/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=#606060]Having Sonic in SSBB would have to be one of the most logical things Nintendo could do. As has been said, these two characters were once massive rivals.

I'm sure plenty of Nintendo fans have been waiting years to finally see Mario kick the crap out of Sonic first-hand. Now, they can. lol

As for his voice...meh. I'm sure it'll be fine. I don't particularly notice voices in the SSB games anyway.

And of course, there's always the option of simply not using him. That'd pretty much solve any dilemmas. But at least the option to use him is there, for those that want to. It's win-win! [/color]