OtakuBoards

Resident Evil Series

Guest Zombie Hunter

Guest Zombie Hunter
Anyone here like the game? The original for the Playstation was a BIG hit, and when I got the REmake for the Gamecube, wow, it was just.. an amazing remake, I must say ^_^

Who else here enoys Resident Evil Video Games? I own all for the Gamecube which include: 0-4 plus Code Veronica X and I have RE: DS for the Nintendo DS, and it rocks too lolz...

Anyone a fan of RE?

[QUOTE=Zombie Hunter]Anyone here like the game? The original for the Playstation was a BIG hit, and when I got the REmake for the Gamecube, wow, it was just.. an amazing remake, I must say ^_^

Who else here enoys Resident Evil Video Games? I own all for the Gamecube which include: 0-4 plus Code Veronica X and I have RE: DS for the Nintendo DS, and it rocks too lolz...

Anyone a fan of RE?[/QUOTE]

I am a fan... sort of.

I have played all of them. Well, most of them.
I've played 1, 2, 3, 4, survivor, and dead aim...
[But I don't have a DS]
Thats all I remember though [There might be more].

Wasn't RE the first place to mentoin zombies in a game?

I like RE [Besides the First Person Ones].
I think it is for the reason that the first time through, you don't know really what is going to happen, sometimes there are a lot of zombies to kill [Yeah, thats it. I like killing stuff.]

[quote name='Hanabishi Recca']Wasn't RE the first place to mentoin zombies in a game?[/quote]

[CENTER][IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/75/Zombies_Ate_My_Neighbors_box.jpg/200px-Zombies_Ate_My_Neighbors_box.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Gotta be honest here. I hated the series for the longest time. I first played 2, and beat it but was left with a less than stellar after feeling. I didn't want to play any of the others, but when my friend got RE4 for GC, it looked like a completely different game. My other friend wanted it so i got it for him as a christmas gift, and since he leaves his GC at my house most of the time since he only really plays when hes over here, i decided to pick it up one day and see what it was like. I really liked RE4, the free-aim system was a great addition, the graphics were awesome and the gameplay itself was pretty fun. Definitly a step up from the boring redundancy the previous games exhibited.

Not to mention the actual fight with [spoiler]Krauser (not the sequenced knife fight)[/spoiler] was one of the funnest bosses to fight.

[COLOR=Sienna]RE1 is without a doubt my favourite console game ever, at least, the GC version. I'm not that easy to scare, but I was terrified when I played Resident Evil. Part of it had to do with the fact that the combat system is so clunky it's hard to defend yourself, but the creepy cinimcatic camera angles and the general atmosphere were just terrifying. The scariest parts were always when the zombies didn't attack, IMO. Like the part where you walk past a pair of windows in a hallway, and you see the zombie's shadows in the lightning flashes clawing againts the window, you were terrified to go down that hallway because you didn't know if you were going to be attacked or not. It was great.

IMO RE4 was a huge step backwards. It wasn't scary at all and turned out to be more of a follower, rather than the innovater RE1 was. Than again, the RE series was never that good again.

I also loved how you found little tidbits of backstory as you progressed throughout the game, it just gave everything an air of depth. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Cygnus X-1][COLOR=Sienna]
IMO RE4 was a huge step backwards. It wasn't scary at all and turned out to be more of a follower, rather than the innovater RE1 was. Than again, the RE series was never that good again.

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
A step backwards? Dude Re4 is one of the best games EVER MADE. Also when did you see a game like Re4 before it came out? Exactly. Also RE1 the best console game ever? LOL im sorry that may be your oppinion but I stil lthink that is impossible. I mean the controls were so clunky that you wanted to throw the damn controler out of the window. The camera angles were eerie they were bad. It's one thing not to see the enemies but a whole nother thing NOT TO SEE YOURSELF! + you run out of bullets literally within minutes and NEVER get more.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']A step backwards? Dude Re4 is one of the best games EVER MADE. Also when did you see a game like Re4 before it came out? Exactly. Also RE1 the best console game ever? LOL im sorry that may be your oppinion but I stil lthink that is impossible. I mean the controls were so clunky that you wanted to throw the damn controler out of the window. The camera angles were eerie they were bad. It's one thing not to see the enemies but a whole nother thing NOT TO SEE YOURSELF! + you run out of bullets literally within minutes and NEVER get more.[/quote]
[COLOR=Sienna]
RE4 was "Ok... here's a gun, and those are zombies... enjoy. Oh, and don't froget to pick up the generic shiny things they drop when you kill them." Really, really, really... dull. And easy. And the last boss qualifies as the easiest boss of all time, although I'll admit Tyrant was far from hard. I find it funny Capcom couldn't think of another way to kill the last boss than a rocket launcher, just like the first one, but whatever, hah.

And yes, the controls were clunky, which I already adressed. They made it hard to kill bosses and things, rather than just an easy shoot-em up like RE4. The camera angles were fantastic. Let's say you have the controllable camera, and your about to go around a corner, you turn the camera and see there are 4 zombies there waiting... what's scary about that? When you werre in a room in RE1, you were afraid to go around a corner because you simply didn't know what was going to be there; THAT WAS THE POINT. And you do run out of bullets fast, although bullet conservation is another thing that makes the game much more challenging. Running out of bullets is very REALISITIC. Wouldn't make much sense if you shot a zombie in the head and it just happened to have a box of 9mm's on it, now would it? That was another thing that made the game terrifying.

Another thing I hate about RE4 is they got rid of the typewriter. The typerwriter was one of the most vital parts of the game. The type writer had you literally on your toes all the time. You couldn't just save before you go into a room, go in, die, and try again, you had to carfully consider where you were going to go because you didn't have 100 kicks at the can. [/COLOR]

RE4 was "Ok... here's a gun, and those are zombies... enjoy. Oh, and don't froget to pick up the generic shiny things they drop when you kill them." Really, really, really... dull. And easy.
And yes, the controls were clunky, which I already adressed. They made it hard to kill bosses and things, rather than just an easy shoot-em up like RE4. The camera angles were fantastic. Let's say you have the controllable camera, and your about to go around a corner, you turn the camera and see there are 4 zombies there waiting... what's scary about that? When you werre in a room in RE1, you were afraid to go around a corner because you simply didn't know what was going to be there; THAT WAS THE POINT. And you do run out of bullets fast, although bullet conservation is another thing that makes the game much more challenging. Running out of bullets is very REALISITIC.
Another thing I hate about RE4 is they got rid of the typewriter. The typerwriter was one of the most vital parts of the game. The type writer had you literally on your toes all the time. You couldn't just save before you go into a room, go in, die, and try again, you had to carfully consider where you were going to go because you didn't have 100 kicks at the can. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]... Ok I didn't see any zombies in this game did you? They were people infected with a virus. So therefore making them instantly more frightening. What is more scary a town of rabid people or 7 zombies in a 8 block radius? The poeple are. Why well lthey have brains and teamwork and are capable of strategy. Also the kind of scary RE4 is is better than the old "Boo your dead" It's "OMFG ahh there is a town of crazies with chainsaws out to kill meeeeeeeeeeee". Your panicing. Haven't you heard the phrase "anticipation is worse than death"? Also the environments are big so when there is a guy sneaking around behind you with a bunch of friends and you get hit in the back of the head with pitchfork your like WTF what the F**K was that? Also for sake of arguent lets say a zombie game should be realistic(which it shouldn't) why would COPS having bullets be unrealistic? Also whats unrealistic about AMMUNITON boxes having AMMUNITION in them? Huh? Yea and lastly about the typewriter thing. That does not require strategy that requires BACKTRACKING JUST TO STOP PLAYING which me and many others find more than a little bit annoying.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']... Ok I didn't see any zombies in this game did you? They were people infected with a virus. So therefore making them instantly more frightening. What is more scary a town of rabid people or 7 zombies in a 8 block radius? The poeple are. Why well lthey have brains and teamwork and are capable of strategy. Also the kind of scary RE4 is is better than the old "Boo your dead" It's "OMFG ahh there is a town of crazies with chainsaws out to kill meeeeeeeeeeee". Your panicing. Haven't you heard the phrase "anticipation is worse than death"? Also the environments are big so when there is a guy sneaking around behind you with a bunch of friends and you get hit in the back of the head with pitchfork your like WTF what the F**K was that? Also for sake of arguent lets say a zombie game should be realistic(which it shouldn't) why would COPS having bullets be unrealistic? Also whats unrealistic about AMMUNITON boxes having AMMUNITION in them? Huh? Yea and lastly about the typewriter thing. That does not require strategy that requires BACKTRACKING JUST TO STOP PLAYING which me and many others find more than a little bit annoying.[/quote][COLOR=Sienna]

Zombies, Las Plagas, they're both stupid. I heard of this so-called stratagy, but all I saw was a gang mentality... aside from cut-scenes, they just ran towards you, until they get close, at which point they stopped running and walk slowly in your direction. There was no discrenable stratagy.

I'd take the Arklay Mansion over otly scary, the Village any day. None of the environments in RE4 were creepy or unnerving; they were... plain.

The 'Town full of crazies' kind of scary doesn't work if you have enough bullets to take on a small army! It's not scary, it's a shooting gallary.

"Anticipation is worse than death." Absolutely correct. However, what anticipation was there in RE4? You were literally pelted with zombies all the time, there was no time to anticipate anything! RE4 was just another generic action game.

There's nothing unrealistic about cops have bullets. However, cops having 300 bullets, a shotgun, a rocket launcher, a horde of grenades, and super kung-fu skills is. Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with there being ammo in ammunition boxes, but how did those ammunition boxes end up inside a Las Plaga?

While we're on the subject, what ever happened to puzzles? The puzzles in RE1 were normally very challanging, and they required you to think and use your brain. There was absolutely no challange in any of the RE4 puzzles, not that there were many. The only one that I found challanging was literally lifted right out of RE1 (Everything, down to the room it was in), and the only reason it was hard was that I didn't expect the answer to be "1, 2, 3, 4" or something that stupid.

On a final note... the only thing scary in RE4 was the Sac Monster.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Zombie Hunter]Anyone here like the game? The original for the Playstation was a BIG hit, and when I got the REmake for the Gamecube, wow, it was just.. an amazing remake, I must say ^_^

Anyone a fan of RE?[/QUOTE]
Big hit indeed, but sadly for me, I'm no fan of the series. It was either the 1st or 2nd (I don't remember which one because it's been so long) that I borrowed from a friend because he said it was scary.... Unfortunately, I'm not phased by the horror genre. (If anything, I laugh at the people in the games getting killed by zombies or whatnot)

What turned me off from the game and the series altogether was that gimping camera system. I hated any game that had that type of camera system thing because I found it so hard trying to get use to the controls with a camera like that.

However, I am trying to get my hands on RE4 for the ps2. But I doubt I'll end up liking that one as well simply because I've never been a fan of the genre.

Zombies, Las Plagas, they're both stupid. I heard of this so-called stratagy, but all I saw was a gang mentality... aside from cut-scenes, they just ran towards you, until they get close, at which point they stopped running and walk slowly in your direction. There was no discrenable stratagy.

I'd take the Arklay Mansion over otly scary, the Village any day. None of the environments in RE4 were creepy or unnerving; they were... plain.

The 'Town full of crazies' kind of scary doesn't work if you have enough bullets to take on a small army! It's not scary, it's a shooting gallary.

"Anticipation is worse than death." Absolutely correct. However, what anticipation was there in RE4? You were literally pelted with zombies all the time, there was no time to anticipate anything! RE4 was just another generic action game.

There's nothing unrealistic about cops have bullets. However, cops having 300 bullets, a shotgun, a rocket launcher, a horde of grenades, and super kung-fu skills is. Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with there being ammo in ammunition boxes, but how did those ammunition boxes end up inside a Las Plaga?

While we're on the subject, what ever happened to puzzles? The puzzles in RE1 were normally very challanging, and they required you to think and use your brain. There was absolutely no challange in any of the RE4 puzzles, not that there were many. The only one that I found challanging was literally lifted right out of RE1 (Everything, down to the room it was in), and the only reason it was hard was that I didn't expect the answer to be "1, 2, 3, 4" or something that stupid.

On a final note... the only thing scary in RE4 was the Sac Monster.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Hey if zombies are stupid then WHY DD OU BUY ANY RE GAME?

So this is bad strategy?
Get chainsaw man to look make him keep his distance get a person to throw axes at him. Then wait as the rest of him flank and maim him. Dude did you play tis on easy mode only or something? Oh and they move slower only when you have alot of firepower in your hands like a shotgun.

Also the village was either full of crazy people or dirty and deserted. Is that plain for the average european vilalge? Hell no. Also you call 40 bullets enough for a small army? lol ok w/e.

Again no zombies and you are attacked by larger groups but not pelted. This was also a horror game not an action game(and if its not horror its an 3PS)

Also cops DO have those things they need ammunition which includes grenades and ALOT of bullets.(I don't know where you came up wit hthe Kung Fu crap) Also I was talking about the actual crates that had ammo in it. Also what is so strange about a terrorist at his base with bullets on him? Sure he may not be using it exactly but they weren't expecting visitors till later in the game (which is where all of the guns show up)

Lastly who really cares about puzzles in horror ames of this type? If they were hard as crap then it will jsut split up the action and make the game tedious instead of fun. So getting rid of the craziness of them is a good move imo.

[QUOTE=Avenged666fold]Hey if zombies are stupid then WHY DD OU BUY ANY RE GAME?

So this is bad strategy?
Get chainsaw man to look make him keep his distance get a person to throw axes at him. Then wait as the rest of him flank and maim him. Dude did you play tis on easy mode only or something? Oh and they move slower only when you have alot of firepower in your hands like a shotgun.

Also the village was either full of crazy people or dirty and deserted. Is that plain for the average european vilalge? Hell no. Also you call 40 bullets enough for a small army? lol ok w/e.

Again no zombies and you are attacked by larger groups but not pelted. This was also a horror game not an action game(and if its not horror its an 3PS)

Also cops DO have those things they need ammunition which includes grenades and ALOT of bullets.(I don't know where you came up wit hthe Kung Fu crap) Also I was talking about the actual crates that had ammo in it. Also what is so strange about a terrorist at his base with bullets on him? Sure he may not be using it exactly but they weren't expecting visitors till later in the game (which is where all of the guns show up)

Lastly who really cares about puzzles in horror ames of this type? If they were hard as crap then it will jsut split up the action and make the game tedious instead of fun. So getting rid of the craziness of them is a good move imo.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Sienna]
When I said stupid, I meant the baddies themselves are not intellegent.

I played the game on hard mode and noticed no such stratagies, just Las Plagas as far as the eye could see and more than enough ammo.

And yes, I was exagerating - your not always being attacked. However, when there are no zombies around, your never afraid one is going to pop out because if one does, you have all the ammo you need in order to deal with it. You don't even need ammo, you just need to use that judo-kick thing and take it's head off.

RE4 was the horror equivelent of an Uwe Boll movie. Ever see the movies House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, or BloodRayne? They're all gigantic pieces of crap and they all fail to be scary; they just the exact same tactic as RE4, lots of guns and lots of baddies and lots of dark rooms, but nothing scary.

No, they don't. This isn't a movie; cops, special forces especially, are trained to use as little ammo as possible and, as such, don't carry a small arsenal with them, especially when they aren't expecting to run into any combat. Why would they? They bring a few clips and a pistol, and that's usually it. What are bullets doing inside villagers? That's the real question. Also, what are bullets that fit exactly into your type of gun doing sitting in boxes in a creepy village, where no one even knows what a Baretta 9mm is? In RE1 it makes sense because Wesker and the STARS Bravo team members left them there specifically for you, you find a shotgun in a hunting loung, all these things make realistic sense.

Horror is not about constant action, as Uwe Boll has proven time and time again. If all your looking for is constant shoot-em up go play CS or Halo or something, because RE4 is not horror.[/COLOR]

I don't like the series near enough to argue as much about it or for it as certain members here have, but i will mention the dispute about boss battles. The final battle in RE4 was indeed one of the easiest boss battles i've ever fought in that style of game. The hardest one IMO was krauser and it was fun as well so i enjoyed it a lot. Even salazar was suprisingly easy. In terms of how challenging the game was, i believe despite the easy boss battles it presented a good amount of challenge and difficulty because in a lot of parts it was difficult to think about what was going to happen next, and then when you go through it again you know what to expect, though sometimes the button combination for dodging certain things change up. I remember the first time i did the [spoiler]knife fight with krauser, i didn't expect as many button combos as there were...[/spoiler]that's just one example.

[color=darkred]People, can we please try and keep it friendly in here? I've just had to delete two inappropriate posts as a result of all the hate. Talking about Resident Evil is fine, but getting all heated about it is pointless and stupid, so here's a warning: if this continues, I'll be closing thread.[/color]

[SIZE=1]*tries to bring back the calmness to the thread*

I got Res Evil 0 and 1 on the GC, and 2 and 3 for the PS1. Now I'm not a big fan of the horror genre - Doom3 is where I peaked - but the Res Evil games were one of the most suspensful and scary games I've played. My dad got me the Remastered Res Evil 1 for the GC as a joke and he kept wanting to watch me play it and **** myself. it worked -.-' but I did enjoy it. Seriously, is there anything more satisfying than browing the head off a zombie with the boomstick just before he takes a bite out you?

A problem with the Res Evil series isn't the cameras or the controls. It's the plot and how it's executed. There's so much stuff going on in and around Racoon City and the games jump around on the timeline it's quite easy to get confused and lost[/SIZE]

Who was being hateful? What did I miss? Well w/e Imo oppinoin Re4 is one of the best games of all time it was fun,had cool graphics,and had my favorite Re character Mr.Kennedy. I can't wait until Re5. Hopefully they will keep the working camera. All they need to do is STOP ASKING ME IF I WANT THE FRIGGIN BULLETS.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Who was being hateful? What did I miss? Well w/e Imo oppinoin Re4 is one of the best games of all time it was fun,had cool graphics,and had my favorite Re character Mr.Kennedy. I can't wait until Re5. Hopefully they will keep the working camera. All they need to do is STOP ASKING ME IF I WANT THE FRIGGIN BULLETS.[/quote]
Well dude, No need to try and get you REALLY angry but Resident Evil 4 was not in the least bit Frightening. Now don't get me wrong, I loved the first 3 and still play no. 2 on my PC but at no point in 4 were there moments that had me dreading what was hidden around the corner/ The static camera added to the atmosphere as you never knew what was coming.

And as what Ziggy has been saying, There is really no explanation to the reason that the Villiagers should have ammo for guns that they would never know about or would have used before. If They had ammo then they should of used them with the guns.

[quote name='SkyBlu][SIZE=1']A problem with the Res Evil series isn't the cameras or the controls. It's the plot and how it's executed. There's so much stuff going on in and around Racoon City and the games jump around on the timeline it's quite easy to get confused and lost[/SIZE][/quote]

Well, there were several problems including the camera and controls. The primary issue was that Capcom "went to the well" one too many times and the formula became stale.

The camera and control scheme worked well when the series was introduced--and they were implemented with careful consideration. I understand that the camera was supposed to intensify the experience by restricting the player's view and I also accept that the controls felt unnatural and burdensome in order to intensify the survival horror experience. Capcom could get away with those tricks early on because they really pioneered the survival horror genre. Sure, games like Alone in the Dark preceded Resident Evil, but Capcom really defined it and set a precedent.

As time went on they got all the mileage they could out of the formula. Resident Evil 2 and 3 on the PSX did a fine job of perfecting what they established in the first place. And then Code Veronica came along and while I enjoyed it, it was at that point that I could feel the series becoming stagnant. When I played through Resident Evil Zero and found myself pushing boxes and finding cranks, I immediately shut the game off and traded it in. See, the same old crap just got really tired and I just couldn't take it anymore.

Resident Evil 4 was refreshing because it got with the times. The developers had the luxury of taking as much time as they needed to begin and scrap the project several times until they got it just right. Ultimately they went with a new direction that was in many ways a departure for the series. I thought the mechanics were still somewhat archaic (no strafing or walking while shooting) but the general principle is very important. If more developers would re-invent their aging series then the market wouldn't be cluttered with so much crap.

[QUOTE=Charles]
Resident Evil 4 was refreshing because it got with the times. The developers had the luxury of taking as much time as they needed to begin and scrap the project several times until they got it just right. Ultimately they went with a new direction that was in many ways a departure for the series. I thought the mechanics were still somewhat archaic (no strafing or walking while shooting) but the general principle is very important. If more developers would re-invent their aging series then the market wouldn't be cluttered with so much crap.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Sienna]
So essentially what you're saying is they turned it into an action game... which was really what I was saying. The game itself was fairly entertaining, but it just didn't seem like a Resident Evil game to me. It was arcady and flashy but just not the same thing. I can see where you're coming from, though, and the series was due for a bit of change, but I would have prefered another cinimatic-style RE game to what we got in RE4. To each their own, as they say.

As for the storyline, yea, it's fairly disjointed and sometimes just plain weird. But there's a reason for this. You have to remember that this game came out in Japan; and, in Japan, things don't necessarily need an explination. People will accept something without knowing, nor caring, why it happened. However, in North America, we have an obession with knowing everything, so they had to cobble together a backstory as quickly as possible to try and satisfy us... They obviously didn't have enough time to make something that made much sense, but, whatever, I find the backstory interesting. Also, many of the plot elements (Like the Wesker Reports that were released on the internet a while back) were added long after the fact, which would have had an effect.[/COLOR]

So essentially what you're saying is they turned it into an action game... which was really what I was saying. The game itself was fairly entertaining, but it just didn't seem like a Resident Evil game to me. It was arcady and flashy but just not the same thing. I can see where you're coming from, though, and the series was due for a bit of change, but I would have prefered another cinimatic-style RE game to what we got in RE4. To each their own, as they say.[/color][/quote]

Well, yes, I very much agree with you. In some ways I thought the game did feel shallow by giving into its action approach a little too much. On the other hand, the game was also more cinematic than something like, say--Kingdom Hearts 2. It didn't rely on a countless barrage of cut scenes to make it cinematic. That's the easy way out. The camera angle, atmospheric environments, sound, and enemy behavior gave the game a natural cinematic feel that many games lack. It was just a very immersive experience that didn't force anything on me, like pointless, out-of-place puzzles. During a session of Resident Evil 4 it would be easy for me to forget I was playing the game. In that way, it was like a really good movie. The best films pull the viewer in and make them feel like they're visiting another world. I felt that way watching the Lord of The Rings films, for example. In that way Resident Evil 4 was successful in ways that its predecessors were not.

By turning the game into an action game, Capcom was just delivering a different kind of tension. Instead of relying on "shock scares" to establish a theme of horror, they made the player feel as though they were constantly facing an onslaught of rabid killers. I thought it was very visceral. There was room for improvement, but it was a nice foundation to build upon. I would have preferred less ammo and more fleeing, like what we see early on in the town, but the game was fun regardless.

I would, however, like Capcom to give more attention to the cut scenes next time and develop the characters more realistically. Both the Japanese and American versions of the games have always placed a strong emphasis on telling a story; the plot is an integral part of the series no matter what version you're playing. Resident Evil 4 would have been more effective if I actually saw Ashley and Leon as a real people and cared about their well-being. So, if Capcom is able to establish a better sense of direction and polish up their dialogue next time around, I'll be pleased.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Who was being hateful? What did I miss?[/quote]

[color=darkred]I was talking about the two posts I deleted. I thought it'd be safer to delete them rather than let the "argument" continue, but that's all in the past now. :)[/color]

Well ok I admit Re4 is prolly the least scary "horror" game I have ever played. But I haven't played a single scary horror game at all. I always liked action games. So re1 and 3 ewere boring imo. But 2 and 4(I cheated in 2 so I had enough ammoo and I could save) were fun beacuse they were pretty much action packed and really run. So trding in the "fear factor" for fun gameplay is a + in my book.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Well ok I admit Re4 is prolly the least scary "horror" game I have ever played. But I haven't played a single scary horror game at all. I always liked action games. So re1 and 3 ewere boring imo. But 2 and 4(I cheated in 2 so I had enough ammoo and I could save) were fun beacuse they were pretty much action packed and really run. So trding in the "fear factor" for fun gameplay is a + in my book.[/quote]

Wow, that's strange. I always thought Resident Evil 3: Nemesis was more action oriented than Resident Evil 2.