OtakuBoards

Racism

Esther

I'm from Eastern Europe and people over there are pretty much as racist towards each other as you can get, which is really sad. We all speak the same language, dress alike, eat the same foods, we're all made up of the same stuff just like any other race.

The other day I was in a shopping mall with my grandfather and we were in the cashiers line. The cashier lady was african american, well I lived in Los Angeles so I'm used to all types of diversity, but my grandfather is not. He made a joke to my dad about her, he asked "Where did she go tanning?" I blew my top. I turned to him and in our language told him off. My father tried to convince me it was okay and that it wasn't such a big deal but I decided to ignore him for the day as well, or at least until the apologized.

Racism is something that needs to be taken care in our society, it doesn't help anyone to be racist and there erally is no point. I do believe though with time it will just dissapear, newer generations will have an impact on the mindset and as the older generations die out it will die out with them.

I only have 20 minutes, so I'll make this breif.

Racism is wrong. And we CAN sop it, but only as a unit. The more people who say it'll never wok the truer it becomes, because it only works if everyone wants it to work. And the mentallity that racism can't be stopped is exactly why it hasn't been stopped. By ingnoring it, you contribute towards it.

Getting all upset over racism is NOT the way to combat it. Anger towards racism only breeds anger within racism, expanding it. The only way to combat racism is to see why people are racist, understand it, and try to reason through the situation. It takes being able to love someone even though they hate you, because love breeds more love. It takes, courage, concience, and compassion.

People are only racist because they are taught that way. If we can teach the opposite, we can eliminatre racism alltogether.

Go read To Kill A Mockingbird.

I live in Tennessee. At my school, we're still basically segregated. The black students usually don't mix with the white students. It is not as though we aren't allowed to sit together; we are all doing it the ourselves. We restrict ourselves from talking to people just by the color of their skin, which makes us all ignorant morons. Luckily, I haven't seen too much outright hatred, but I am basically a hermit who never leaves the house. Sometimes being a recluse is not such a bad thing. The world can be pretty ugly.

I do not think racism will end, sadly. Even if we let ourselves see past the color of some one's skin, there will always be differences. Hatred can form from the stupidest reasons.

[B]Incredibly stupid example:[/B] If some one was fanatic enough, they could start a cult based only on the type of shampoo they prefer. You use Shampoo A, and I use Shampoo B. We each think our shampoo is better. You get Shampoo A people on your side while I get Shampoo B followers. We start arguing over which shampoo is superior, and it leads to a fight. Neither side gives in, and it escalates into full-blown war.

Now does that not sound like the stupidest thing you have ever heard? Thing is, I think hating some one because they look, act, or believe differently is just as stupid, if not moreso.

As I have said, I like to stay inside. I have never been in a real situation where some one hated me for my skin. There has been a problem with being an otaku before, though, and not just the usual dislike of it you see in school. My love of anime crossed over into a love of Japanese culture. I love hearing about Japan, so I always want to watch or read anything involving the country. Why she said it at the time, I don't remember, but my mom jokingly called me a "***-lover." It feels pretty pointless to be hurt over that since she was not trying to be mean, and it's miniscule in comparison to real persecution, but I was a little shocked and actually hurt. It's such a disrespectful, horrible phrase, and I never expected my mother to direct something like that at me.

Edit: You should do as Tical says. [I]To Kill a Mockingbird[/I] is one of the best books you can read. It'll stick in your head.

[quote name='Drix D'Zanth']The idea of race can also adverslely effect what might be positive change. If a study identifies black families as having more children out of wedlock than white families most social scientists keep their hands off of the issue as it may be too "racially sensitive". I think the ability for minorities to use the "race card" is also quite tragic and socially dangerous. So I guess it's a two-way street.[/quote]
[size=1]The race card really is lame, but if you're using this in relation to an anti-Affirmative Action stance, I must disagree. As an end-result, color-blindness would be ideal, however Affirmative Action is in place to get to that point.

In any event, I sort of wish us black folk would get our act together. I'm tired of the fact that there are more black males between the ages of 18 and 25 in jail than college.[/size]

[QUOTE=Grace][SIZE=1]

Do you think racism will ever stop?
Do [I]YOU[/I] have a racial prejudice, if so explain.
Have you ever been attacked because of your race?

It would be nice to have a CIVILIZED online conversation. If you would like to debate, just keep it down a knotch..[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]

INteresting questions. I really hope I don't offend anyone with my second answer.

1.) [b]Do you think racism will ever stop?[/b]- Sad to say I don't think that this will ever stop. Every day you have people either starting or joining the KKK or some Neo-Nazi hate group. And then these people will manage to recuit more people and have children. I mean yeah, people can try to stop it all they want. But you can't stop human nature which in some cases means that one person thinks that they're better than everyone else.

2.) [b]Do [I]YOU[/I] have a racial prejudice, if so explain.[/b]- Ok I'm probably going to get someone yelling at me about this, but I don't think I will ever date out of my race (My brother is the complete opposite- he won't date white girls because 'they whine too much ) I don't know what it is. I usually attribute it to the fact that I don't know if I could deal with people staring at me or accusing me of trying to be (fill in the race here) or maybe the bad experiance I had with a guy out of my race I kind of dated in high school. [spoiler]That could have been statutory rape- which amazingly at 16 I didn't know about [/spoiler] I don't consider myself a racist because of this I just think that's my opinion. I have friends from different races one of my cousins married outside of her race. I just don't know if I could handle people staring at me. I guess I'm either superficial or self centered in that case.

3.) [b]Have you ever been attacked because of your race?[/b]- No I've been attacked for other attributes for how I look. I'm a short over weight white woman. I once had a woman at American Eagle try to usher me out of the store- and i was wearing one of their shirts! People give me dirty looks for how I dress.

Now one of my friend's brothers was attacked on Monday for some odd reason she thinks it may have been because he was white and in the city. But there's no evidence of that- according to the police.

I hope that was informative enough.[/color][/font]

[QUOTE] Ok I'm probably going to get someone yelling at me about this, but I don't think I will ever date out of my race (My brother is the complete opposite- he won't date white girls because 'they whine too much ) I don't know what it is. I usually attribute it to the fact that I don't know if I could deal with people staring at me or accusing me of trying to be (fill in the race here) or maybe the bad experiance I had with a guy out of my race I kind of dated in high school.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]I know exactly what you mean CHW. But, I have dated outside my race on numerous occasions, because when I look at someone their race usually doesn't come to mind first.

If I dated, say for instance, a Latino/Hispanic guy it would look somewhat different. Not neccessarily odd or weird, but different. But I don't understand that concept considering the fact that some Filipino's date within the Latino race and it doesn't look uncommon.

But if I went out with a white guy, it's a whole different story. It seems that everywhere you go now a days a Asian girl can be found with a Caucasian guy rather than an Asian guy. So, it would look "normal". And I really don't like that. I think that no matter what race dates with what race, they should be seen as a COUPLE.

"Inter-racial" is kind of out dated for me[/SIZE].

Guest Heero yuy
I was born here in America, to be exact, in California...where there's a lot of races living among each other. When I was young, I didn't understand the differences physically, besides gender. Till, one of the kids at my school, said that she wasn't allowed to play with me, cause of my 'skin' color. Since that, it was stick in my mind.

Every place I go in the U.S. I'm faced with some type of racism. People come up to me and start saying jibberish, thinking it's chinese or some type of asian language, trying to make fun of me. I remember I was at the bookstore with some of my friends who were white...and another group of kids came up to me and said, I didn't know chinamen can read. Another incident was when I was walking down the street and someone stuck their head from the their car window and said "go back to japan, you ***!" Living in the south is terrible...

There's always someone with insecurities waiting to find a safe fasting in someone's differences...

Humanity is like that...it's terrible...

And I'm very sorry you had to go through that...I'm sorry to everyone who has been picked for simply breathing and being themselves.

Guest Legible Rants
The United States is based on rights and priviledges. We have the freedom of choice and the right to expression.

I'm a white male - early thirties. I walk down any street and most people walk right by without even acknowledging my presence. I live in a town where people are known to be pretentious and are not even familiar with eye-contact. Some people may look at me and shake their heads and others may look down their nose at me. Some woman may walk by and smile while the very next woman looks at me and grabs her purse more intently. Most people in the world don't know me and I imagine that will be the way it is when I die too. So, what am I going to do about this. Why don't people give me respect?!? Why don't they recognize what I have contributed to the community?!? Why don't they know that I am a good christian?!?

Why are people still shaken by the fact that there are rude, inconsiderate or even down-right disrespecting people out there? Why does it matter so much to most people what others think of them?

Really - "Gun Preacher" - it doesn't matter. People really only have a few things to worry about in life - and it is not what others think of us or do to us.

Live your life in the grace and glory of God. Love your neighbor as you love yourself. Forgive people in advance for the wrongs that they may do to you.... Blah blah blah. I imagine this will fall on deaf ears and/or this won't make sense.

Fight back??? The best advice I would have for you is to go to school, study hard and make something of yourself - knowing that no matter who you are - you can lead a nation - regardless of color, gender or religion.

You're a teen - you don't get respect from people just because. You're a man - you don't get respect from people just because. You're a human - you don't get respect from people just because.

If you live your life consumed with thoughts of what you don't get because of the fact that you are a teen - or because you are a certain color - or because you are a certain gender or because you don't have some special name tag on.... You will never acheive your dreams. Do something with your life. Make a difference by helping those that can't help themselves - use your time for the good of others. Live your life with meaning and intent. You CAN acheive anything you set your mind to. If you fail along the way.. get up and do it again.. and again.. and again..

You didn't ask my advice, I understand that. You did post on the web which completely entitles everyone to their own viewpoint. I welcome your comments or anyone else that may have an opinion.

L R

[QUOTE=Gun Preacher]Welcome to the so called land of the free i understand completly i'm black and i'm always looked down on were ever i go and i'm a teen so i treated worst becasue most people asume that black teens are always doing something illegle.

best i can say is fight back or ignore it even though thats not my style but what can you do.[/QUOTE]

Racism in the biggest waste of time in the world. I know about racial discrimination because unfortunetly I lived it. People who just don't like Latin-Americans are mean. I was born in Ecuador and part of my life I lived in the States. Is just crazy how some people think of themselves better than others because of their skin color, it doesn't matter what color a person is what matters in the heart of the person. In my family there is no racial prejudice, my mom is half chinese half japanese born in Ecuador, my dad is spanish, a couple of cousins of mine are Russian, african american, my great grandfather was black, some other cousins are italian and portuguese. I'm a mix of most races and I know what people say about each one, if you are a latin they say that you end up working in McDonalds and so on with each race. That is why I believe each race should get along so people look into the minds of others not just the outside.

We have the same problem here in the UK. Especially in my area which has very little racial variation. In some parts of London school classes are made up of 50% non-white (sorry, can't think of another word for it) children but in my college of about 120 people there are only 2 Asian people. Thankfully because all of us are aged 16-18 we're more mature so most people are nice to them, because they are very nice people, but I have heard the occasional racist remark. One of them who is in my group of friends was bullied because of it and was very upset.
I think that it will be a long time before racism is no longer, even if that is a sad fact.
I'm completly non-racist and see everyone as equal because I know God does too. I hate people who are racist and I was pretty disgusted by some of the stories you guys told.
Racism is a pretty big issue in the Uk because we have so many different races here now. Most people, like me, don't mind and I in fact enjoy learing about other religions and beliefs and trying foreign food. It is the small majority of people with the opposite view point that let the rest of the country down. I know illegal immigrants cost the government a lot of money but that doesn't mean every middle eastern, asian etc person should be treated unfairly.
As for not dating people outside of your own race, I think I'm actually the opposite of that. I don't really like most British boys of my age. My first real crush was on an Asian person and I am now madly in love with someone from Finland.
Well....That's my two cents. Have a nice day! :catgirl:

[size=1][quote name='Legible Rants']I'm a white male - early thirties.[/quote]
Then you're obviously not connecting with Gun Preacher when he says he's an African American teenager who's been discriminated against because of race. What you're experiencing isn't distaste, it's apathy, it's indifference. I'm going to say that indifference is better than a dislike.

[QUOTE]Why are people still shaken by the fact that there are rude, inconsiderate or even down-right disrespecting people out there? Why does it matter so much to most people what others think of them?[/QUOTE]
Because it is part of the societal contract you 'sign' by living here that you'll abide by certain unwritten laws. These unwritten laws are called courtesy, and we expect it. When it's not given to us, we're surprised because we usually recieve it. If you were to be mistreated all your life, you wouldn't be surprised if someone gave you the finger on the street - it'd be 'one of those things'. It matters what people think of them because we are social creatures. In fact, a minute ago, you were lamenting over the fact that no one knew you. It's just natural instinct that we want to be loved and cared for.

[QUOTE]Really - "Gun Preacher" - it doesn't matter. People really only have a few things to worry about in life - and it is not what others think of us or do to us.[/QUOTE]
I hear you to a certain extent. People who hate you shouldn't be important, however, it can be hard to deal with it, and that's something you should acknowledge.

[QUOTE]Fight back??? The best advice I would have for you is to go to school, study hard and make something of yourself - knowing that no matter who you are - you can lead a nation - regardless of color, gender or religion.[/QUOTE]
No, you cannot lead a nation 100% of the time. You cannot always be whatever you want to be. What if a woman wanted to be the head of Saudi Arabia? Not happening, no matter how hard she tries. Your idealism is nice and inspiring on the small scale, things like grades, perhaps colleges, but not on the grand scale. Socioeconomic factors are just as strong as your will.

[QUOTE]You're a teen - you don't get respect from people just because. You're a man - you don't get respect from people just because. You're a human - you don't get respect from people just because.[/QUOTE]
And this is sad. You [i]should[/i] be respected for the sole fact that you're human. Every human has dignity, and people should acknowledge that. I respect strangers by holding the door open for them, and from time to time they do the same for me.

[QUOTE]You CAN acheive anything you set your mind to. If you fail along the way.. get up and do it again.. and again.. and again..[/QUOTE]
I agreed with you up until this point. If you set your mind to running through a firm, brick wall, you will end up dead. You can get up and try again as many times as you'd like, but you will die from brain damage before you get to the other side. Such is the world at times. There are things that you can do if you try your hardest, and there are things that are impossible due to other factors outside your control. Gun Preacher's being black does indeed contribute to this. As a middle-aged white male, I'm almost completely sure you have zero idea that if a white and black man, both with equal credentials were to apply to a job, the white man would be hired. Heck, when employers look at your resume and you have a 'black' name (Hope, Dante, etc), 8/10 they won't call you up if there's a 'white' name in the pile.

Long story short, racism is still prevalent in today's society. It affects people, and sometimes, the system favors whites, which might be why working your hardest will still end in a failure.[/size]

[QUOTE=Heero yuy]I was born here in America, to be exact, in California...where there's a lot of races living among each other. When I was young, I didn't understand the differences physically, besides gender. Till, one of the kids at my school, said that she wasn't allowed to play with me, cause of my 'skin' color. Since that, it was stick in my mind.

Every place I go in the U.S. I'm faced with some type of racism. People come up to me and start saying jibberish, thinking it's chinese or some type of asian language, trying to make fun of me. I remember I was at the bookstore with some of my friends who were white...and another group of kids came up to me and said, I didn't know chinamen can read. Another incident was when I was walking down the street and someone stuck their head from the their car window and said "go back to japan, you ***!" Living in the south is terrible...

There's always someone with insecurities waiting to find a safe fasting in someone's differences...

Humanity is like that...it's terrible...

And I'm very sorry you had to go through that...I'm sorry to everyone who has been picked for simply breathing and being themselves.[/QUOTE]
The Southern states can be very close-minded about things which are different from what they are accustomed to.
I wasn't scrutinized alot in Mississippi, people would joke, saying "What brings you Canadians down to redneck Mississippi?"
Kentucky wasn't terrible, but I was asked alot of really ignorant questions, and I'd get alot of cold looks as soon as I'd voice my opinions on American politics and religion. I'd usually avoid those conversations.
I'm sorry to hear that you were treated that way, that's really lame.

But at the same time, my cousin's (who are 13) and their friends, nearly kicked my butt when I [I]JOKINGLY[/I] dropped the N-Bomb (I was acting "gangsta"), and they told me "We dont' say words like that around here." I thought that was pretty cool of them, but not everyone is like that, especially in Southern states where some people are still living in the Confederate era. It's very different to what I'm used to.

[color=dimgray][size=1]

I think it's pretty clear by now. [B]Racism blows...[/B]

I don't really think it's just white's againt everyone in racism either. There is, sadly, racial tention between every race. Blacks against Whites, Asian against Asians, Latinos against Blacks, Indians against Whites. I suppose it's just engrained in our psyche to a certain extent. I really don't think it's just a 'race' issue either. Honestly, it's more about cultural differences than anything in my eyes.

You hear about Chinese and Koreans hating Japanese. Heterosexuals hating homosexuals. African tribes warring with one another. Brits hating Germans. French hating Americans. Catch the drift? The color of one's skin is just one more difference that ignorant minded people hold against others.

Hell, I'm Greek. But everytime I walk through a predominatly Black neighbourhood, it's 'white boy'. Being a fan of hip hop and breakdancing, however, makes me a 'wigger' in the eyes of other white people. Playing video games and reading comics make me a 'nerd' in the eyes of the 'jocks'. Guess how much I care about these insults? Not a damn.

Hell, I could hold a grudge against anybody of Turkish or otherwise Ottoman decent for oppressing my people's culture for generations. But I don't. You just have to put yourself above ignorance and hatred. I'm not saying one should ignore any racial hatred they encounter, but just don't condone it. Don't allow people to get a rise out of you. Show them that you don't care, because you know who's right and you know who's the ignorant person in the equation.

But that's me.

By the way, I live in the American South, so I have to put up with quite a bit of racism from all sides... Don't much care for it. Heh.
[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=The Boss][color=dimgray][size=1]

Hell, I could hold a grudge against anybody of Turkish or otherwise Ottoman decent for oppressing my people's culture for generations. But I don't. You just have to put yourself above ignorance and hatred. I'm not saying one should ignore any racial hatred they encounter, but just don't condone it. Don't allow people to get a rise out of you. Show them that you don't care, because you know who's right and you know who's the ignorant person in the equation.

[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]When you look at it that way being Irish I can hold a grudge over the Brittish for taking over our lands, forcing us off our farms and starving us during the potato famine. To extend that being Catholic I can hold a grudge against protestants. When I was practicing Wicca I could have held a grudge against all of Christianity for forcing practitioners underground or burning them at the stake. Being part Native American I can hold a grudge against everyone and since my ex husband's new wife is hispanic I could truely hate everyone who's hispanic- or at the very least all hispanic Californian women. But I have better things to do with my life. Besides, life's too short to be that petty.

And for anyone who wonders- I'm from Upstate New York. I've seen my share of racism even up north. For example after the whole terrorist incident there were some rednecks up here with a big sign on their pick up truck that said: Death to All Towel Heads. Plus my paternal grandmother is convinced all non Catholics are bad. She once made a comment about how she feels bad for the poor Muslims who don't believe in Jesus. So there are a lot of prejudices wherever you go. Doesn't matter where you live.[/color][/font]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Heero yuy
[QUOTE=KatanaViolet]The Southern states can be very close-minded about things which are different from what they are accustomed to.
I wasn't scrutinized alot in Mississippi, people would joke, saying "What brings you Canadians down to redneck Mississippi?"
Kentucky wasn't terrible, but I was asked alot of really ignorant questions, and I'd get alot of cold looks as soon as I'd voice my opinions on American politics and religion. I'd usually avoid those conversations.
I'm sorry to hear that you were treated that way, that's really lame.

But at the same time, my cousin's (who are 13) and their friends, nearly kicked my butt when I [I]JOKINGLY[/I] dropped the N-Bomb (I was acting "gangsta"), and they told me "We dont' say words like that around here." I thought that was pretty cool of them, but not everyone is like that, especially in Southern states where some people are still living in the Confederate era. It's very different to what I'm used to.[/QUOTE]

You talk about Kentucky, that's where I currently live now, and I understand what you mean by religion and politics. People here are very religious and very republican...to the point, they don't mind pulling out differences and using them against you.

People are people either way, doesn't matter gender, race, religion, sex preferences and wealth. Everyone bleeds the same blood, everyone breathes the same air. I just don't understand why people would be stuck in such an era. But then again, that's how they were raised, and you can't blame them for what they were taught and if anything maybe their heritage.

[QUOTE=Legible Rants]
Really - "Gun Preacher" - it doesn't matter. People really only have a few things to worry about in life - and it is not what others think of us or do to us.

Live your life in the grace and glory of God.
[/QUOTE]

Ok, so that line probably has to be the most counter-progressive reactionary line in the entire topic so far. By that line of thought what the point of doing anything, voting, fighting racism, sexism, any other negative "ism"? (that is not supposed to be insulting, just bringing up the point that that kind of thought leads to stagnation and no change is things that are moraly wrong, or any other kind of wrong you want to assign to it.)

But on to my views, Racism along with sexism, discrimination based on whom you love; age-ism, etc. are all disgusting. I can't say 'Oh I have many black/Latino/Asian friends." but I do have some of each, skin color doesn't really matter to me, if my interests are the same as yours well then we could be friends. (The place I live is mostly white, think of the movie "the stepford wives" (or what ever it was called) and you have around where I live.)

And in response to the whole "you speak like a white girl" comment earlier in the thread. Very racist, Very capitalist. Comments like that won't go away until the class system is disbanded. There is no such thing as white talk, black talk, Latino talk. They are accents but attributing them to races is more a mater of where some one lives, which is all a matter of money.

Resist, Refuse, Rise up, Revolt!

[QUOTE=Decadence]And in response to the whole "you speak like a white girl" comment earlier in the thread. Very racist, Very capitalist. Comments like that won't go away until the class system is disbanded. There is no such thing as white talk, black talk, Latino talk. They are accents but attributing them to races is more a mater of where some one lives, which is all a matter of money.

Resist, Refuse, Rise up, Revolt![/QUOTE]
[size=1]Very racist? Yes. Very capitalist? Huh? I cannot see a clear line between racism and capitalism. Racism is rooted in ignorance. Capitalism, while having flaws, does not foster racism. I would say that racism is a personal vice, one completely independent of capitalism.

Disbanding the class system? I see where you're coming from to a certain extent, but I'm also wondering, can it be done. Communism never works -- it slips and falters on the flaws of men, therefore we can't ever completely abolish a class system. The only thing left to do? Go with the next best option, democracy and capitalism. I would definitely argue that it's had a stronger track record than communism.

Why completely destroy the democratic system when you can improve it? I would say that democracy and the people within in it are progressing towards universal acceptance and solidarity. Look back fifty years ago. It was unheard of for a white/black couple to exist. Look back one hundred years ago from then. Slavery was being contested.

Give things another 100 years and racism will be considered ridiculous by nearly all.[/size]

[QUOTE=Amelia][FONT=Arial]However, it's not like only white people can be racist; even though I've never been prejudiced against. Native Americans can hate caucasians because of mistreatment in the past. African Americans can hate caucasians because of mistreatment in the past. The Japanese can hate caucasians because of mistreatment in the past. Jewish people can hate Germans because of mistreatment in the past. Everyone hates everyone and it just won't stop.
[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]So in the end, everyone hates Germans. Believe it or not, its hard to be a white male in America because apperantly I'm always keeping other people down. Soryy, I guess I never knew. White people have screwed up...so, so much in the past. The lack of forgiveness is what's causing these rifts in the world. My grandpa, God rest his soul, hated "them damn japs" for over sixty years. He needed to let go. Islam extremists hate the U.S. because they think we're going on crusade. Sorry, that was a long time ago. Seriously, everyone needs to just let bygones be bygones. If we truly wanted, we could trace this back and we'd all hate Italy. Hey, my ancestors (had they not been Friesian, and therefore too scary to fight) could've been enslaved by Romans. On my mom'sside, they were Batavian conscripts, a natural enemy to the cannibalistic Friesians. So, by all rights, I should treat myself badly. I mean, my people killed...my other people. Let it go people. Oh, and Amelia, I meant no disrespect. Just putting it out in the open.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Retribution, this is what I was basing the capitalist comment on. (It may be bias but it makes sense to me.From another forum I use.)

[Quote=hopscotch anthill]
Racism is a means of perpetuating class differences. For instance, in early American society white slaves and black slaves were treated equally bad. The result? The whites and blacks intermixed ? joining cultures, marrying, and having children togethor ? and built up strong feelings of solidarity.

Then they started to rebel. To squash these slave rebellions the ruling class instituted a division between white servants and black slaves. When blacks alone started to rebel they divided them along the lines of 'field' slaves and 'house' slaves.

The same practice is used by the modern ruling class; however, to some extent the ruling class has ended radical racism. The ruling class needs a permanent underclass of poor laborers and a race-based division works well for them but they need live underclasses. This is why Black Liberation would be one of the biggest blows to the capitalists in America.[/quote]

Racism is an ugly horrible thing. But I don't believe it'll die.

As for the question "Do you have a racism story?" Yes I do. You see my mother is a white puerto rican itlain urkianan woman & my father is a brown-skinned puerto rican. So my own skin is pale tan. And mostly everyone assumes that I'm adopted because my mom is much lighter then me. In elemantry school, I was pretty much tormented because of my color & I didn't fit in with the cacusian kids or the african-american kids. Also I have trouble fitting in with the hispanic kids because I don't speak much spanish. And for some reason people think I'm slow or something and I can tell they think I'm slow because the way they speak to me. And I'm not slow!

I'll post more. I'm tired and I'm going to bed Good night all

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I'm racist against racists. Can that be all I can say? Yeah like that's all I'll say get real.

I was watching a thing on A&E last night about the Ku Klux Klan and how since the reconstruction era of the United States they've always been able to recruit new members and at times were part of law enforcement and high ranking government officials.

The KKK is the largest hate organization in the US and although I am an optomist most of the time I just can't picture them dying out since they've managed to survive for nearly two centuries. Them and the Neo Nazis are just never going to go away because some people just can't help being stupid.

Yes I know I sound terribly pessimistic but face it, if there are enough people who hate others strongly enough to become groups of people it's never going to stop[/color][/font]