OtakuBoards

Racism

Esther

[SIZE=1]I did do a search before I started this thread, and recently theres been a thread about inter-racial couples. But I just thought I would bring up this subject again because of a personal experience I had encountered just today.

I have just arrived in America for the first time in a long time, and I went out with my friend, Leah. Leah is a girl I met through my job, she's African American. It was her idea to go to Chili's for a "[B]Welcome to America[/B]" celebration. I agreed, thought it would be nice to spend the night out with a friend, [I]right[/I]?

The dining area was almost, if not completely, empty. Leah and I were waiting to be seated, and a woman walked in behind us, she was Caucasian. Then, the hostess came and smiled at [U]all three of us[/U].

The woman standing behind us literally broke through me and Leah, and presented herself to the hostess. The words she said will never leave my mind:

"[B]I believe I should be seated first[/B]."

I was disgusted! How could she?! And Leah was just calm, I didn't understand. Later we talked at the table, and I asked Leah how she was so collective.

" Grace, you come from a country where you're the majority. You aren't used to that kind of thing, but in America.. the tables are turned. Some people will look down on you because you aren't white,[B] it's just the way it is[/B]."

It was true, in China and Singapore, the majority is obviously Chinese. With the exception of Singapore, it's very diverse in Asian culture.

But I still was so shocked, I had witnessed racism toward me for the first time. I just, couldn't understand.

I would like to hear [B]your[/B] stories of racism.

Do you think racism will ever stop?
Do [I]YOU[/I] have a racial prejudice, if so explain.
Have you ever been attacked because of your race?

It would be nice to have a CIVILIZED online conversation. If you would like to debate, just keep it down a knotch..[/SIZE]

I live in Texas, so it might come as no surprise that racism is abundant around here. Though it seems that the further away you get from the cities, the closer you get to racist ideals.

Especially in the older generation (i.e. the generation of my grandparents), racism is just a subconscious way of life. My grandmother always brings up the race of the person when she's telling a story even if it has no impact on the story ("This large black woman came into the bakery..." things like that). I don?t believe that the people in that generation are able to not think like that because were taught to look down on people who were different from themselves.

Recently I went to a taqueria (Mexican restaurant, basically), and I paid for the meal. But for some reason, the man at the register gave the money to my friend, who was speaking to him in Spanish, instead of me. I suppose that there is just more trust in someone who can speak the same language, but it seems strange that he wasn?t even willing to hand me money.

Racism will always be there because people inherently need to feel superior. The majority enjoys segregating the minority. That's just the way it is. Things are getting better in terms of acceptance from where I can see it, but that doesn't mean it will ever go away entirely.

I hate racism. I say it's evil. I wish it wasn't here, but it is and I can't change that. I feel bad for the people who are treated badly, and am VERY happy I have never been a part of it. I don't get how people can be so cruel. I mean SO WHAT IF THEY LOOK A LITTLE DIFFERENT! WE LOOK DIFFERENT TO THEM, BUT THEY NEVER PICK ON US, WHY SHOULD WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO PICK ON THEM? What happened to The Great Melting Pot huh? No one should have the right to use racism, do people really do, anyway?
-A Racism hating wolf Toboe

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Edit: Please work on your posting quality. As it stands your post is difficult to read. Proper spelling and grammar are very important. If you have questions about posting quality feel free to PM myself or any of the moderators on the site. Thanks! -Panda[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Guest Gun Preacher
Welcome to the so called land of the free i understand completly i'm black and i'm always looked down on were ever i go and i'm a teen so i treated worst becasue most people asume that black teens are always doing something illegle.

best i can say is fight back or ignore it even though thats not my style but what can you do.

[QUOTE=Grace][SIZE=1]Do you think racism will ever stop?
Have you ever been attacked because of your race?[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

It would be kinda funny for anybody I know to read this...
Or at least that I acually know in real life.

Okay, I'm not as racist as I used to be, and I'm trying to stop being so.

Now that I hear your story, [yet it makes complete sence to me. I want to stop] I didn't think of someone being racist could be someone acually attacking you or making a action on you to be racist.

I acually had something like that to happen to me...

Okay, just to tell the story it was on a day where my brother was going to go over one of his friends house, so I was going to go also. I let him go alittle before I left since I was doing something.
So, I was going to walk, I basically knew my brother was already there, so I just kinda took my time. I went past the street it would have been good to turn at, but I wanted to see our state flower. Its true! There are Blue Bonets [I'm not sure if I spelled that correct or not] around their house. So I walked around them. It was pretty ;)
So, there was this other boy that was taking out the trash as if he was 'the man'.
He looked at me and threw a acorn [sp?] at me saying the words, "You're white. I'm not, I'm mexican." He was white though... But if he really wanted to go that far, my father is from Lous and my mother from Germany.
I am white, yet you telling your story makes me want to try harder.

Arigato Grace. Arigato Gozimasu.

I will change ;)
You give me the motive. Thanks alot.

Thanks for reading my post,

David

EDIT:

To answer your question, I do think racism will stop. If the parents stop making comments about it. Because the parents teach the kids about the races. I think it would make it much better for the parents to stop.

By the Gods racism is such a horribly ignorant thing in todays society in yet people still are racist including entire businesses I mean for what! This is something that happened to me just 1 day ago...I was at a movie theatre with my best friend she's Peurto Rican and African American and I'm Cherokee and African American and we walked inside towards the concession stand to get us something to eat and there we bumped into a few other friends and they're all African American so we all decide to watch the same movie(Silent Hill by the way) we all pay for the tickets and got the ticket stub and everything so we all are about to walk inside the room to watch the movie when the "little flash guard cops" say hold on we are patting everone down today for security purposes, of course nobody had anything on them but the thing that got me was that I turned aroung for a split second and saw everyone else walking in freely...WHAT THE HELL!!! I was thinking but I just kept my cool.

[COLOR=Sienna]I have never really encountered much in the way of racism. At least not directed at me. I have seen others who were treated the way you were, but not very often. In all honesty where I live you are more likely to run into prejudice based on whether or not you are religious. In which case you get looked down on because you are not religious. But that?s another topic.

As for your questions:[QUOTE=Grace][SIZE=1]Do you think racism will ever stop?
Have you ever been attacked because of your race?
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]In all honesty I do not think that racism will ever be completely eliminated. The idea of no racism would indicate that people would have gained the ability to see beyond concepts of skin color, background or any other type of difference. I would hope that as time goes by it becomes less of a problem but to get rid of it completely? I just don?t see that ever happening.

As far as I know I do not have any prejudice based on a person?s race. I cannot with all confidence say I have none when there are races I have yet to actually meet. So far all of my experiences have been a case of disliking personality traits like arrogance, disrespect or backstabbing. Since all of these are behaviors and not because of their race I would say that I do not have a racial prejudice.

I have never been attacked just because I was a white girl so to speak. I have been attacked, but like I mentioned before, it was a behavior problem and not some vendetta on their part against white people.
[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]
Racism. I'm no stranger to racism. I get a load of racial remarks because of my, being a Native American (Navajo) living in the city and going to school with other white boys who think their more superior. What I think about the whole damn thing, is that [b]Racism[/b] simply doesn't exist. How can I make such a conclusion, you ask? Racism only exists in the human mind. When someone hears the word [b]Racism[/b] they automatically process it as something heinous. Racism doesn't exist and never existed, except only in scientific grouping such as: kingdom, phyla, class, family, species, etc. As for all of here on the OB were all humans, it doesn't matter what color we are, only that we're Homo Sapiens. The only thing that really seperate us is basically our culture. Culture is exactly what has been the difference that seperates us from other people. So I say that [b]Racism[/b] and [b]Social Darwinism[/b] doesn't exist. In case your unaware of what Social Darwinism is, it's literally the belief that some people are born better that others. The foundation of S.D. is racism.

So now that is cleared up, I will answers your question Grace. Do I think racism will ever stop? Hell, no. There is no way racism is going to stop. People will continue to fear others who posses any type of blemish or are a different skin color. If racism has survived ths long, you can bet your money in the bank, that it will continue. Racism didn't stop in the past, it sure as hell ain't stopping now, and it's not going to stop in the future. It's like saying will there ever be world peace in the future?

Do I have a racial prejudice? Yeah, when I was in grade school, learning about how the white people killed so many of my ancestors I got pissed off. Then I got even more angrier at the white people when I learned that our people weren't the only indigenous people who suffered at the hands of the anglos. Later when we moved to the city as I graduated from the 4th grade, I learned that not all anglos are horrible. As a matter of fact I have a best friend whose anglo named Micheal. Right now I don't have a racial prejudice toward anyone. I simply categorize people by whether their the mean, meek, funny, etc. Not by their skin color.

Have I ever been attacked because of my race? Loads of time.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Grace][SIZE=1]
The woman standing behind us literally broke through me and Leah, and presented herself to the hostess. The words she said will never leave my mind:

"[B]I believe I should be seated first[/B]."

I was disgusted! How could she?! And Leah was just calm, I didn't understand. Later we talked at the table, and I asked Leah how she was so collective.

" Grace, you come from a country where you're the majority. You aren't used to that kind of thing, but in America.. the tables are turned. Some people will look down on you because you aren't white,[B] it's just the way it is[/B]."
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] (What did the hostess do?)

I'm dissapointed that your friend told you that "it's just the way it us." Just because you're the minority doesn't mean you should let the majority trample all over your dignity. Yeah, the world isn't a perfect place, but people who are just going sit back and not do anything aren't hurting it more than the people who are committing the crimes.

But racism will never stop. Discrimination in general will never go away. In fact, if it did go away, it would scare me more than seeing the acts of it today.

I know what I've said is pretty contradicting, but whatever. Stand up for your self worth and for others, but don't expect it all to go away.[/color]

[QUOTE=Grace][SIZE=1]Do you think racism will ever stop?
Have you ever been attacked because of your race?[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]In the grand scheme of things, I don't think there'll ever be an end to racial prejudice, even if racial [I]discrimination[/I] gradually winds down. We all have stereotypes of particular groups in our mind - templates that we use to evaluate people before we really know them - whether they're according to age, race, or even something as trivial as the emo/goth/etc. thing. People can minimise and avoid acting on these stereotypes and opinions as much as they like, but that doesn't really get rid of racism in its less obvious form. Though remember that prejudice isn't always negative - its just become so attached to negative issues that the other side of that word gets easily overlooked. In that sense, to [I]truly[/I] get rid of racial prejudice - or any other kind, for that matter - people would need to approach a person from a complete neutral, non-assuming perspective. That just doesn't happen, period.

But yes, I have to admit that I have just a little too much of the negative variety for my own good. It's not like I ever act on any of these stereotypes - and I'm 99.99*% certain I never will - but in the end that doesn't make me any better or worse than the people who do. It doesn't help all that much living in an area that's visibly increasing in racist views over time either, with the BNP [British Nationalist Party] pulling in more of the city each year with their racist propoganda. But, if it helps, I tend to form a negative opinion of the grand majorityof people I see before I get to know them, based on one completely trivial factor or another.

Fortunately, I've never really been attacked for my race, though I was once threatened because of it, in a fashion. He [I'm not going to guess his ethnicity, because I'm fairly certain I'd get it wrong] was the kind of person you'd be wary of anyway, having jumped over a churchyard fence and trampled through a flower bed, and he started asking me what was in my pockets, if I had a cellphone on me, and so on. This made me nervous as hell, but even without that I would've thought it'd be pretty obvious that I wasn't going to give him my wallet so he could 'look at it' - I certainly know I wouldn't let a Caucasian stranger look at my wallet. Anyway, whether he meant it or was just trying to scare me into giving in, he accused me of being racist and threatened me a little. After a very jittery explanation of why it wasn't a racist thing to do he eventually wandered off, but I saw him a little later doing the same thing to the person he'd wondered off to. Anyway, in the end I've been attacked more by Caucasian people [two/three times] than I have by any other race [never], so I try to keep this to the side as an almost-one-off.

But yeah, though I'm pretty sure that racism as prejudice is, at least to some extent, innevitable, I absolutely despise anyone who takes it beyond mere opinions - whether that be through words, actions or violence. And I really feel sorry for anyone who has to face up to such disrespectful and arrogant actions firsthand.[/SIZE]

I don't think racism is as bad in the past as it used to be...
However, I don't see it becoming a complete thing of the past.
People are ignorant and spitefull.

And personally, Grace, I would have said something to that woman. Nobody needs to be talked to in that way and put up with it. You're in America now, tell Whitey to take a seat and wait her turn.

Moving on, I'm not really racist, I joke about it, and to be quite frank, I think every ethnic background has something to make fun of.
The problem is when it becomes hate.
Especially now, I think the most hate is toward people of Middle Eastern descent. I'm not going to lie, after 9/11 I had to take a plane, and when I saw a guy with a turban boarding the same flight as me, I got really uncomfortable. It's a sad and shamefull generalization, but it's true. And I think affairs with the Middle East are the cause of this anger in America.
But that's not the only racial prejudice.
People fear what they don't know and don't understand. And for some people, when they witness a culture completely different from theirs, they can't compute it.

I don't really think this sort of thing happens in Canada a whole lot, mainly because the majority of it's citizens are mixed heritage. I myself am Half Portuguese, half Scottish-French Canadian. But I do think there is discrimination against First Nations people.

I don't think racism will ever be abolished unless people stop looking at the colour of others' skin and start embracing every culture they come across, no matter how radically different it is. Maybe not all aspects of the culture, but at least look at it with an open mind.... because some cultures practice cannabilism and infantcide, and that isn't cool...that's just not how this white girl rolls.

Racis is a big part of this country, even if some say they aren't racist there might be a small part of them that is. But there are some that ain't and that good.

I know one time my and my brother where going to this job interview and when we where waiting this lady that just knew Spanish was trying to buy something. Well one of the manger there didn't know what to do and she didn't have anyone that was working that knew Spanish to help her so my and my brother did. The manger said thanks and said that they might hire us cuz they needed workers that know Spanish. well after during my brothers interview this Caucasian girl walks in and the manger goes to here and looks at here application and ask if she knew any Spanish, the girl says no. well after I finish with my interview me and my brother are leavening and this guy walks in and he was there for the interview too, funny thing was that he ask if he had to take a drug test. Anyways those too got the job and I and my brother didn't.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]
I just thought that it would be idea, to say, did you know that according to Blood Mapping (DNA) we're all originally from Africa? And that because of this, according to blood mappers they conclude that all of our blood type are nearly the same. For example, there is this guy from America who gets his DNA inspected, and it turns out his blood was closely related to a woman from Greece, who could very well be his sister. In reality no, the American guy and the lady from Greece were in no relations. So I don't know how people can be races with other individuals who are all related in someway. How people can be races over melanin, is beyond me.

Oh yeah, kingN, if that should happen to you again just tell yourself that ethocentric people are ignorant, stupit, idiotic, dumb, etc. Don't let it get you down, because your just as good as everyone, don't believe all that crap about Social Darwinism.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=SeaGreen]I don?t know if I have any stories of encountering racism since most of the problems I?ve encountered have been the stereotyping of blonde white girls are stupid. It?s not true, but people assume that I?m dumb based on my hair and skin color. Anyway? [QUOTE=Grace][SIZE=1]Do you think racism will ever stop?
Have you ever been attacked because of your race?[/SIZE][/QUOTE]No I don?t. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others has been around for a very long time. I can remember my great grandmother telling me when I was barely eight years old that because I was white I was better than other people. o_O

I didn?t believe her and told her that I didn?t. I?ll never forget the look in her eyes. She really believed that being white somehow made her better than others. This is why I think racism will never end. Those who are racist or rather believe they are, try to get others to believe them. In time I think it will get better and in fact I think it already has, but on some level I think it will always exist.

Actually on some level I do have racial prejudices. Not that I think I am superior or better than others, but there are races that I have never met so my knowledge of them is based on what others have told me. That makes my judgment or opinion off as it has been formed beforehand and without complete or accurate knowledge of the facts. Something that I won?t be able to correct until I actually meet and get to know them. It?s not deliberate, but on some level its unavoidable.

As for being attacked?that?s a yes and a no. I?ve had others verbally attack me and call me a dumb blonde, but that?s probably more of a stereotyping issue than a racial attack. Other than that no one has ever attacked or bothered me just because I am white. [/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]I seriously detest racism. I make racist jokes sometimes, but only in an endearing (as much as possible, anyway) manner, and I always make sure the subject of the joke knows I was kidding and that they weren't offended.

My friend and I were "playing pretend" in drama yesterday and Tuesday, acting like people from the south in the 1930s. We would say things like, "Them negros be gettin' jobs at the gas station. I might as well ride my bicycle!" But we were only acting. In real life, I don't care what color or ethnicity someone is as long as they're good people.

One of my friends, Amber, saw a post on one of the message boards she frequented about how "all Arabs are terrorists." I talked to the poster, and they were extremely disillusioned. They said things like, "My mom said that they're all terrorists." I tried to be as polite as possible, but they just didn't understand the racism behind their views.

The only time that I might be a little bit racist is when I'm around the people who dress in the current "gangsta" clothing and listen to some of the absolute worst "music" in the world ("gangsta" rap). I really don't like those people. It's not because they're mostly Spanish (or some other hispanic/latin ethnicity) and African American, but because they act like complete and total arrogant idiots. And because so many of them are like that, a lot of people think the whole entire race is full of arrogant idiots. I know very few people with a hispanic background that don't act that way. It makes me feel like because they were born hispanic/black, they feel they have to be "gangstas," "thugs," or whatever the heck they're calling themselves.

I don't think racism will ever stop, though. Kids with racist parents are going to grow up racist, have racist children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and so on. Unless the kids have sense enough to not listen to their parents, the whole family tree is going to be racist. It's completely absurd, and it's going to go on forever.

However, it's not like only white people can be racist; even though I've never been prejudiced against. Native Americans can hate caucasians because of mistreatment in the past. African Americans can hate caucasians because of mistreatment in the past. The Japanese can hate caucasians because of mistreatment in the past. Jewish people can hate Germans because of mistreatment in the past. Everyone hates everyone and it just won't stop.

Why can't we all just get along? Because I have white skin and they have brown.

D-U-M-B

Edit - I just remembered. One day, when I was studying for my American Government final exam, I looked in the back and saw a chart of the percent of a group of people who voted for Bush in the 2004 election and the percent who voted for Kerry. For "White Men," it had a very high percentage who voted for Bush. But for African Americans, 88% voted for Kerry. I circled this info and wrote "LOL." I hope whoever gets my book appreciates it as much as I did.[/FONT]

[QUOTE](What did the hostess do?)[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Well, she kind of gave us a weird look. And sat the other lady down first, as to not cause any commotion or scene in the front of a restaurant. I was just really pissed off, I wasn't going to fight with some woman..

And as I read my opening post I just found myself to sound hypocritical (sp). In Singapore, we strive for racial equality. Yeah, right. Some idiotic people thought "Well, I don't think there will be as much Chinese people living here." What a
STUPID statement. But anyways..

Chinese does make up the majority of Singapore. And Malaysians following close behind. The two races, didn't neccesarily get along at first. At one time, it was so bad, race riots broke out across the island and even in Malaysia.

And my grandmother was part of them I guess. She thought that because we were Chinese, that we ruled the whole Eastern Asia continent. Which is kind of ironic because Chinese people can be found on any Eastern Asian country..[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Grace][SIZE=1]
And my grandmother was part of them I guess. She thought that because we were Chinese, that we ruled the whole Eastern Asia continent. Which is kind of ironic because Chinese people can be found on any Eastern Asian country..[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I do believe that includes Australia also.

In all honestly, I detest Racism in all of it's forms of foulness. If some people remember the Cronulla Race Riots of 2005 (If I remember correctly the French media did a lot of insight on it alongside thier own ones
([URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Cronulla_race_riots]If you don't then click here[/URL] )) On that day I felt disgusted to be an Australian and was actually afraid to go out anywhere. I'm not Muslim or of Middle Eastern descent (They were the targeted people during the riots) but there are a large percentage of them in Hoppers Crossing and I felt that there was a possibility that more would erupt.

And also in response to your earlier question at the start of the thread;

No, Racism will never stop. It may become more subtle than usual but it'll never go away.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]hmm, racism.
Yeah, i don't think this conflict will ever end. There will always be some sort of disgust towards different cultures. As a matter of fact, one of my best friends is a racist.
She's part american, part french, she doesn't like Chinese or Japanese people.
She thinks what they believe in is stupid. I don't question her, because i think people can express themselves however they want.
Another one of my friends, is semi-racist.
He doesn't like mexicans, he says they're lazy and ambitious. Isn't there a good ambition as well? Oh well.
It's funny though, he's half mexican, half american.
So he's hispanic, just like me. Where i live the majority is hispanic as well, once in a while you'll see white people and some asian, but mainly hispanics. Probably because i live in the Texas border, 45 minutes away from Mexico.
I've never really been attacked with racism..but i know there are err..white students in my class that hate mexicans.
I feel bad because both my parents are mexicans, yet they're not lazy or any of such that mexicans are usually described as.
I used to hate racism, but now i just don't care.
People can think whatever they want, just don't let it get to you in a way it'll seriously damage you.
>_> that's about it.[/FONT][/COLOR]

My mom had this dinner and she invited some friends from her job.I was talking to one of the girls and she said"I cant stand listening to you talk you talk just lie a white girl"!
"I said what do you expect im part white."
She said "Whatever so you have any vidoe games".
I was so so angry I get that alot from my cousins too.They're Puerto rican and they love picking on my voice.
There was also another time when my cousins were making a vidoe and they said I couldnt be in it.I said why they said because this isnt for white girls.
I dont only get this from them but also from caucasian people they love asking me what are you?

Personally, I think that racism is completely stupid of course. But of course, it was common for the older generations to just be racist because that is the way that they were raised. I do know that racism will be around for many more years I'm sure. However, I believe that after a few more generations, racism (especially in America) will become much less common, mostly because of people dating interracially and such, most people will have many different races in their blood. It will become a much more common thing, and people will not think as much of it. It will gradually become the norm of society I believe. Of course, seeing as how racism is just an idea, it can never fully be destroyed. But it would be nice indeed.

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=TimesNewRoman][SIZE=1]I completely detest against racism, it's the most spiteful thing the human race can do to inflict pain upon itself, yah, I make light racist jokes, does anyone care? not really. it's against my moral values to streotype, but i do catch myself, saying: "I mean they're white[spainsh/mexican] why the bloody hell are they trying to be black?!?!" I regret saying that phrase,but i cant help saying that.

1. Do You Think Racism Wil Ever Stop?

I honestly think that it will never stop, no matter how many of us go against it, it'll just keep going.

2. Do YOU Have A Racial Prejudice, If So Explain.

Yes, I always think that cauasian blondes are stupid[i'm dirty blonde], from the way the behave in public and that african americans are ignorant, cos they do not use proper grammer and that rap music is about [spoiler]sex, violence, drugs[/spoiler]

3. Have you ever been attacked because of your race?

yes. because I'm filipino/spainsh they[other people, that arent my friends] ALWAYS think i'm korean or chinese, because the asian part sticks out more than the spainard.

there's my input.

Leon.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Here's a little tidbit of info to mix up the pot-o-discussion (shadowblade hinted it): there's no such thing as race, as far as objectivity is concerned that is. There's no biological or genetic foundation behind race. Race is just another fabrication to keep one group above another, to give one mand the short stick at the consequence of the other.

It's unfortunate that we perpetuate race on both ends of the spectrum. I would hope we can one day be a color-blind society. But if you think about it, we'll just find some other attribute to hate (like religion, ethnicity, height, hair color ;) ).

The idea of race can also adverslely effect what might be positive change. If a study identifies black families as having more children out of wedlock than white families most social scientists keep their hands off of the issue as it may be too "racially sensitive". I think the ability for minorities to use the "race card" is also quite tragic and socially dangerous. So I guess it's a two-way street.

Oh, and shadowblade, social darwinism isn't fake. Social darwinism isn't even what you claimed it is. Don't get me wrong, I've only had a few classes in sociology but I know that this is a very important principle that basically means there is some sort of "artificial selection" in society that perpetuates change. This change doesn't have to be bad, but it is inevitable. It's just Darwin's idea of the "fittest" surviving and constant change being applied to social theory. This doesn't mean it carries the assumption that one ethnic group is more "fit" than another.

Guest Stargirl Washu
I go to a college where there is meant to be no racism...

But there loads.

I may not be Asian or Black but I get stupid racists comments made to me due to liking Manga...

The tutors do it too as well as the students.

I left b'coz it got outta hand. I can't stand racism.

People should think of us as a rainbow that makes up the world.

Rascism, yeah, its there. I've never it seen it that overtly, but i would say that in that restaurant, while I can understand why you just sat back and let the woman do it, forcing a confrontation might have been better in the long run. If it made her angry, she would be less likely to do something so stupid again. I'm not criticising you, but sometimes standing up for yourself helps. Also, i want to point out that some people who complain about rascism help to pertpetuate it by seperating themselves. The black kids in my school never mix with the white kids, they always set themselves apart. They sit apart at lunch, they sometimes even play seperate games during gym.

back to your story, yeah people will look down on you, and you can't change hoe they look, but you can sure stop them from trying to get better treatment. btw, where in the US was this?

I'm white, and I don't think I've ever been discriminated against for it.

[quote name='Stargirl Washu']I may not be Asian or Black but I get stupid racists comments made to me due to liking Manga...[/quote]

[size=1]Otakus are indeed a race on their own. [/size]