OtakuBoards

Elements Online [PG-V]

Ellerby

[center][img]http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/5383/eviiocopy0od.jpg[/img][/center]
[FONT=Times New Roman][CENTER][b][size=6]UNDERGROUND[/b][/size][/CENTER][/FONT]
[CENTER][size=1]Constantly being updated. And I do mean [i]constantly[/i].[/size][/CENTER]

[FONT=Tahoma][b]Factions? I thought they were Elements![/b]
[indent]There is a difference. An Element refers to the actual magic that the player draws in to use, where as the Faction is the general term used to describe players that use a certain element. Basically the plural form of Element.

Ex1: What element do you use? Fire.
Ex2: Invaders are coming of the Fire Faction.[/indent]

[b]Ah, okay. So, what are the different Factions?[/b]
[indent]
The Fire Faction. Fire is probably one of the most versatile of the elements. The best of Warriors [i]and[/i] Wizards can come from the Fire Faction. Most Fire magic is destructive.

The Water Faction. Water is a very magic-oriented Element. Any Warrior from here tends to have a lot of magic-skills regardless of their class. Very skilled when it comes to aiding other players with protection spells.

The Earth Faction. The Element of Earth draws a thick line between its Warriors and its Wizards. All the Warriors tend to be very macho and buff, using a lot of rock skills to improve melee combat. And all the Wizards tend to be frail but beautiful, relying on nature to heal their fallen comrades.

The Wind Faction. Although not as versatile as the Fire Faction, the Wind Faction still lays out a good party. The Wind Warriors are always extremely agile, and usually become archers of a sort while the Wizards stay back and throw damage-oriented spells at the opponent.

The Shadow Faction. The Wizards that spawn from the Shadow faction are dangerous foes to deal with. They use the evilest of elements to raise the dead to do their bidding, or poison the living with shadow chants. The Warriors are also a force to be reckoned with, as they rely a lot on magic themselves, summong skeletal warriors from monsters they have just slain. Many Warriors also become Rogues, who dwell in the shadows and rely on the element of surprise to win their battles.

The Light Faction. The most holy of all elements, Light is found in excessive amounts in players from this area and is used to ressurect dead players, heal them and smite Undead.[/indent]

[b]So, we roleplay as if we're roleplaying a virtual game?[/b]
[indent]Correct. Although you won't be playing your real character nearly as much as your in-game character. On average, I would estimate that 1/4 of your posts would be the actual player.[/indent]

[b]What's the difference between a Fighter and a Wizard?[/b]
[INDENT]A Fighter is a very Melee/Ranged Combat character. They use the chosen element to boost attacks rather than using them [i]as[/i] attacks (which is what the Wizards do).[/INDENT]

[b]If my character is new, will he/she have spells?[/b]
[indent]Yes. Your character will have one or two very basic spells. However you don't have to put these in your sign-up, you can update them as you go along in the square.[/indent]

[b]Can my character be an EVIO veteran?[/b]
[indent]Indeed! You can very easily have been playing since EVIO came out (that's one year). You certainly won't have completed that game, as the creators are constantly updating it with more features, but you can be right up there with the skilled players.

[SIZE=1][b]WARNING:[/b] If you do make your character a skilled player, I expect your writing to be of equivalent skill. I'll be double-checking your previous posts to make sure you're creative and such as I don't want a jerk running around killing all the players.[/indent][/SIZE]

[b]How many spells are we limited to?[/b]
[indent]If you are making a character that is skilled enough to have so many spells that you need to ask, I strongly suggest you just PM myself and talk it over with me. If you're too lazy, just set the cap at five and add new ones into your posts as you use them in the actual adventure.[/indent]

[b]What are the restrictions on the weapons we can use (if any)?[/b]
[indent]None, really. Just keep with the times (no bazookas or lightsabers) and don't make it too overpowered (a sword two times larger than yourself that you can hold in one hand).

I'm also not too picky about what weapons do. If you want your weapon to glow, so be it. If you want it to give you extra damage against Shadow Faction, do it. I don't care. I'll say so if something is wrong.[/indent]

[b]Are there any Faction-specific cities?[/b]
[indent]Originally I was going to post a nice, fat and juicy [b]map[/b] with my first post in the square, but since I lost Adobe Photoshop I wasn't able to. I'll have a map up soon but for now, you'll have to go with this.

[b]Talon Rock.[/b] A small city that hangs on the side of a cliff, overtop water. This is the Water Faction's capital city, and also the smallest of the 6 faction cities.

[b]Vlanor.[/b] The Fire Faction's capital city. It's a large village built into the side of a volcano. It also sits right next to the Earth Faction's jungle city.

[b]Treetop Haven.[/b] Usually referred to as "TTH" in-game. It's a huge city suspeded entirely at the tops of trees in Swallow Jungle, next to Vlanor. This is the Earth Faction's capital city and also the largest of all the Faction cities.

[b]The Sky Dome.[/b] A large dome in the middle of the desert, it looks very rusty and worn on the outside, but it's a very elegeant and roman-esque castle on the inside. Not many people understand how the castle doesn't show up on the outside, but most suspect it has something to do with the wind being forced in certain positions, blocking all view. This is the Wind Faction's capital city.

[B]Pelanyr Castle/The Necropolis.[/B] One in the same, the Shadow and Light Factions share their capital city. It's actually two versions of one castle. The first one is a bright and cheery place, with guards at every door, trumpets playing all through the marketplace and a happy king sitting on the throne. The Necropolis version is dark and gloomy, with wraith's at every corner. There is a gateway in the middle of PC and Nec that transports you to the other version of the castle. It is also the only city with an Auction House[/indent]

[b]Transportation?![/b]
[indent]Yay! I finally finished the transportation part of the FAQ. Basically, there are four main ways of getting around (aside from walking).

[b]Teleportation.[/b] For a reasonable fee, players can pay certain NPC's to teleport them to a requested city. The further the destination, the more it costs. This is often used as a last resort as it can get quite expensive.

[b]Dragon.[/b] In each of the main cities is a large dragon with a big hut on it's back. This hut can hold up to 25 people. Dragon is a cheap and efficient way to get around, however a lot of people get impatient waiting for the dragon to leave and others dislike it because it only goes to big cities.

[b]Skills.[/b] Although not nearly as fast as mounts, dragon or teleportation, there are certain skills within some factions that can speed up the process of going somewhere. Wings, for example, allow you to fly (which is a bit faster than walking).

[b]Mounts.[/b] In the world of EVIO, there are various animals that can be trained from a baby stage and raised to become ridable mounts. Keep checking the FAQ as I'll soon post all the possible mounts.[/indent]

[b]My Character Died. X_x;;[/b]
[indent]Sorry to hear that! Your character's spirit is now released from your body and is wandering around the graveyard. Run back to your body to resurrect yourself, but be careful! Players of the Shadow and Light Faction can still see spirits, and players of the Shadow Faction can steal them to empower themselves (if this happens, you just start back at the graveyard as a new spirit).[/indent]

[/font][SIZE=2][center][color=#555555]I'm leaving a lot of room for creativity here, so feel free to be as original as you want. [b]Also[/b], since there is no real writing invloved in the sign-up, I'll be skimming through your old posts. If you want to make things easier, you can write a character snippet and PM it to myself.[/color][/center][/SIZE]

[I][B]Edit:[/B][/I] You already answered my previous question in the sign-ups. Sorry about that. ^^;

I do have another question, though. I'm pretty sure that you didn't mention anything about weapons, so what are the restrictions on the kinds of weapons the players can use (if any)?

[SIZE=1]Just letting you know that I'll be signing up for this--My computer bombed me out yesterday before I could finish and I was too angry to get back on ><

This is a really good idea, White, a fascinating concept. I don't think I was in the other Elements RP, so hopefully I can get into this one.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=StrikeGundam][font=Garamond][color=Navy]One quick question; Is there a specific posting order, or should we just dive in when we feel there's a moment?
[/color][/font][/QUOTE]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Yup, the threads up so you can all begin posting when you feel like it. I myself won't be posting a lot unless a character gets out of control or an event arises (there [i]will[/i] be events).[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#1e7628][SIZE=1]Anyone who read my post all the way through knows that my character got a new weapon. For details, check my post in the sign up thread [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=733743&postcount=13]here[/url].[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]I thought up a question. Do the Factions have official and specific places where they each meet? Like a home base or something? Just wondering because it'd be pretty neat if there was.

And uh, have you thought of names of other towns/cities in the world of Elements Online? And if you have, do you have descriptions of the places or a vague idea of how you want it portrayed?

Yeah....after I get my answers I'll be sure to make a post in the near future.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Sakura][COLOR=Navy]I thought up a question. Do the Factions have official and specific places where they each meet? Like a home base or something? Just wondering because it'd be pretty neat if there was.

And uh, have you thought of names of other towns/cities in the world of Elements Online? And if you have, do you have descriptions of the places or a vague idea of how you want it portrayed?

Yeah....after I get my answers I'll be sure to make a post in the near future.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Originally I was going to post a nice, fat and juicy [b]map[/b] with my first post in the square, but since I lost Adobe Photoshop I wasn't able to. I'll have a map up soon but for now, you'll have to go with this.

[b]Talon Rock.[/b] A small city that hangs on the side of a cliff, overtop water. This is the Water Faction's capital city, and also the smallest of the 6 faction cities.

[b]Vlanor.[/b] The Fire Faction's capital city. It's a large village built into the side of a volcano. It also sits right next to the Earth Faction's jungle city.

[b]Treetop Haven.[/b] Usually referred to as "TTH" in-game. It's a huge city suspeded entirely at the tops of trees in Swallow Jungle, next to Vlanor. This is the Earth Faction's capital city and also the largest of all the Faction cities.

[b]The Sky Dome.[/b] A large dome in the middle of the desert, it looks very rusty and worn on the outside, but it's a very elegeant and roman-esque castle on the inside. Not many people understand how the castle doesn't show up on the outside, but most suspect it has something to do with the wind being forced in certain positions, blocking all view. This is the Wind Faction's capital city.

[B]Pelanyr Castle/The Necropolis.[/B] One in the same, the Shadow and Light Factions share their capital city. It's actually two versions of one castle. The first one is a bright and cheery place, with guards at every door, trumpets playing all through the marketplace and a happy king sitting on the throne. The Necropolis version is dark and gloomy, with wraith's at every corner. There is a gateway in the middle of PC and Nec that transports you to the other version of the castle. It is also the only city with an Auction House.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Okay, White, I have a question. Is there any sort of teleportation function within the VR game? I know that there are teleportation skills, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to something that any player could use. It wouldn't be a go-anywhere thing like the teleportation skills. Rather, it'd be more of a convienience thing.

What I'm talking about is basically a warp function that can be used by any player to get to distant places, thus eliminating travel time (and I don't know about you, but if I were using a VR game, I wouldn't want to spend too much time just getting to places). It couldn't be used an any time, of course. It would be unusable when in batle, for example. And it couldn't be used from anywhere, either (for example, one couldn't use it to get out of a 'dungeon' area). And, of course, one could only use it to get to certain locations, such as cities.

What do you think about putting such a mechanic into the game, White? Personally, I think it's a good idea, as it saves us from having to worry about travel time in our posts. Basically, it would let us cut out meaningless stuff, plus it would save us from having to worry about how much in-game time has passed.

So, White, what do you think?

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Maybe something like a pet you have to raise, and eventually it's old enough to be mounted? I'll work on that. I'll make Faction-specific mounts (sort of like in WoW) for each class.

And maybe if you didn't like your regular mount, there were other ones in the world just waiting to found. :)[/FONT][/COLOR]

That's not quite what I meant, White. What I meant was something more like your NPC teleportation thing, only without the charge. But I don't think there's any real problems with what you've got.

Now, I can't help but notice that there've been no posts in the RPG since my most recent one. Is there a reason for this? I didn't screw anything up in my post, did I? I mean, it didn't involve anyone but my character (oh, and the NPC Daego). So, is it my post (which I doubt, but I just want to be sure), or is it something else?

Oh, and I have a question, White? What happens when a player is defeated? Or have you even thought about that (if you haven't, tell me, and I'll help you come up with something)?

[size=1][color=#1e7628]I don't think you did anything wrong Takuya. I haven't posted again because I don't really see an opening for my character. I don't want to just barge in and attach myself to a group, yours, Takuya, or White's, so I'm waiting for an 'opening', I guess. I could just go do my own thing, but where's the fun in that? :P

But yeah, that's why I'm not posting for now.[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1]I'm in the same boat as Kitty. I mean, I know Ikillion and I have got together in-game, but I honestly have no idea what we're supposed to [I]do[/I].

It would be nice if we could have some direction, White. =/[/SIZE]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]So many questions for such an open-ended RPG!

In reply to Kitty and Ezekiel, do what you want! Go fight monsters (make up your own if you want), make up a quest and do that. It's the same as any other RPG in the sense that you can have your post consisting of you requesting a party invitation and waiting for someone else's character to reply in their own post.

In reply to Takuya, I realize that the free teleportation would be handy.. but dang that would be cheap. In all the MMORPG's I have played, I have never found a type of transportation that is both instant [i]and[/i] free (aside from class-specific skills, but even then you don't really have much choice on where you teleport to).

I updated the FAQ with what happens when you die. Thanks for the question, Takuya. And there will be an in-game event soon aswell.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Well, White, what you put about what happens when you die seems rather... pointless. The way you have it, whenever a player dies, all that happens is that the player needs to find his/her way back to the body. If you ask me, there should be some sort of penalty when you die. Perhaps some money and/or item loss, or in some cases, perhaps some stat decreases. Something that gives players an incentive not to go charging into areas they're not really ready for.

Now, about the teleportation thing, you have to realive that we're not dealing with an ordinary MMORPG, but with a full-blown virtual world. In normal MMORPGs, realism doesn't really apply. It's the concept of the overworld: it takes you less time to travel between locations in the overworld than it does for you to explore those locations. But with a virtual world, that really doesn't work too well. Distances would be closer to what they are in real life. Now, if you want to handle things your way, that's fine, but I'd recommend having free teleportation avalible, at least when going to certain destinations (you know, like the faction capitals and other major cities).

Oh, and about your response to Kitty and Ezekiel, well, I got the idea that they don't want to make up their own quest or just go kill monsters. My impression was that they want to get involved with the other characters.

Now, to Kitty and Ezekiel (and anyone else who isn't sure what to post about), I have no problem with your characters running into Kiva and teeming up with her. In fact, I'll tell you what I plan to have her do. On the bulliten board, she's going to see postings for party members for the quest White called 'Gorfenlopp's Warning'. She'll see more than one posting (remember, it was never established how many others Gorfenlopp told about the quest), and from information on the various postings (some giving more detail than others), she'll figure out where to go to start the quest (Hinderance Road). She'll head to that area, but on her own, not as a part of any group. However, if someone wants to encounter her on Hinderance Road, and team up with her, that's fine with me (just make sure to wait until I post her arrival at Hinderance Road). So there's my suggestion for what to post about.

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Okay, well I'll tell you what, Takuya.

Ever since I started this RPG you've been pestering me non-stop with different things. You're the only one that seems to have a problem with the RPG aspects and to be honest, it's getting annoying. [i]I[/i] created the RPG, [i]you[/i] are participating in it.

You talk about it being realistic with that people don't want to run for long distances and what not, but you turn around and say there should be a death penalty? In a game where someone who has been playing for a year can walk up and kill someone who has been playing a day (wether it's against the rules or not), the last thing players want is a death penalty. I take this from experience. [i]Real[/i] [b]MMORPG[/b] experience.

Besides, there [i]is[/i] free transportation between cities. The Dragon has no price, it just takes a tiny bit of a time to wait for. And a lower level wouldn't even need to teleport to the big cities at first regardless. By the time they really needed to get to a city instantly, it would be pennies for them.

I realize you posted the idea for the teleportation and death penalty, and I appreciate that, those were questions that needed to be answered. But that doesn't mean you can choose what you want.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Um... did I miss something? I haven't been telling you how to do things, I've been giving suggestions and asking questions. And I'm fully aware that this is your RPG. You make the rules, and just because I'd do things differently doesn't mean I'm going to ignore those rules. I'm not choosing to do what I want, I'm saying how I'd do things. The decision on how things will actually be done is yours, not mine.

Now, about the 'strong player killing weak player' thing, well, I realize that would be a concern. However, it wouldn't be too hard to program into EVIO a system to determine the relative strengths of two fighting players, and if one is significantly stronger than the other, well, the death penalty could be reduced or even nullified. But you don't have to do tat if you don't want to. Like I said, these are just suggestions.

And as for the transportation bit, well, you made it sound like the cost of teleporting to farther-away areas would be expensive even to a higher-level player. Perhaps I was right, perhaps I was wrong. Either way, what I suggested was meerly a suggestion, and if you choose to do things a different way, well, that's fine. It's your choice to make.

[SIZE=1]*sigh* I?ve been wanted to post in this rp for ages but I?ve had no ******* of an idea where to start. Everyone?s got groups all ready or are oof doing their own thing, talk about writers block at the worst possible moment. Shoot me for sounding like a noob i don't care :animesigh , does any one have any ideas? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Indigo]Amanda, I'm having the same problem as you...wanna have our characters meet up somewhere in the game? (what a [i]unique[/i] idea...meh)

So far, I'm pritty lost...and I'm not sure where to start...so, White, any suggestions?

~Random[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]I'd just like to apologise for my lack of posting, though hopefully I'll get something up tonight. Thanks to Revelation for keeping my character in her post, too, heh.

I do have a question though, and I apologise again if it's already been asked. Do our characters get to meet outside the game anytime soon? Or will there be posts outside the game? I think I remember it being mentioned in one of the threads, I just wasn't sure about it so I thought I'd ask.

I sure hope I can get my post up by tonight...[/SIZE]

[quote name='vicky][SIZE=1']I do have a question though, and I apologise again if it's already been asked. Do our characters get to meet outside the game anytime soon? Or will there be posts outside the game?[/SIZE][/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Hopefully this new post has answered your question.

For those of you that have read my newest post in the Square thread, an Event has just started. One of the GMs hid a copper coin and you are looking for it (if you choose to participate). I also talked about mounts there.

If we get enough people participating in the event, I'll decide on the winner judging by creativity and quality of their post(s). I guarantee that you won't win if you find the coin in your first post. If your post involves you or your character trying to figure out the location of the coin, just make the post subject title: Event 1.

As GM Tagg said, to get your mount, you must re-log. You can do whatever you want while logged out. Just make the text colour different from that of what you normally use when you're in-character (this makes it easier to seperate logged in and logged out characters).

PvP was disabled. This means that there will be no fighting between players. If you try to swing a sword at a player, the game just won't let you. :)

[b]EDIT:[/b] This would also be a good place for those of you who haven't posted yet to come in.

[b]EDIT2:[/b] Sakura... yes. :)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]Quick question regarding this logging out and back in business. It can be immediate right? Like they just sign out, then insert themselves again straight away. Just for clarification's sake.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Illusion][SIZE=1']Quick question, may we look for the coins as pairs or do we have to do it individually? ^^;[/SIZE][/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]You may have as many people looking with you, but only one coin per person. :)[/FONT][/COLOR]