OtakuBoards

In Seven Days

cancer

Okay, this thread is for discussion of the Christian belief that the world was created in "six or seven days by the Almighty God." For me, this is one thing that is hard to understand. I'm not sure if it is being literal or not, and if so, how could this be possible. The whole dinosaur period of time, and the prehistoric neanderthals sort of make it difficult to grasp for me. What does everyone else think of this? Any explanations or ideas? I'd really just love to understand it a bit better.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=1]Ignore the above. Like you should do with most of Tical's posts, seeing as they lack terribly in quality and in actual useful information.

You can see those "Seven Days" as seven eras. Each day could for example be a few million years. It actually even connects a bit with the actual evolution of the Earth's inhabitants and all. A bit.[/size]

[COLOR=Sienna]Explaining the 7-days theory with the 7-eras theory is just a pathetic retcon by Christianity to try and explain something that is quite clearly ludicrous and insane. The 'theory,' if you can even call it that, has been so terribly destroyed by every possible form of evidence and common sense, it's not even worth debating anymore - it's laughable. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Boo][size=1']It's a matter of interpretation as a lot in the bible is. Not an excuse. [/size][/quote]
[COLOR=Sienna]
No, it's not. It's easy to pass it off as interpretation, but the truth of it that the Seven Era's theory is just an excuse from Christianity to try and make itself seem even slightly plausable when held up againts evidence. They go along for thousands of years believing one thing, and than all of a sudden their theory is completely and totally obliterated, and they change their beliefs completely? That isn't interpretation, that's called 'dodging.' [/COLOR]

[quote name='Cygnus X-1][COLOR=Sienna']Explaining the 7-days theory with the 7-eras theory is just a pathetic retcon by Christianity to try and explain something that is quite clearly ludicrous and insane. The 'theory,' if you can even call it that, has been so terribly destroyed by every possible form of evidence and common sense, it's not even worth debating anymore - it's laughable. [/COLOR][/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]What is it with you and things being laughable? I think you're view on things is laughable.

It's not so much that we're interpreting the 7 days into 7 eras, it's that man invented time. Therefor when God was making the world, he did it by his own [i]time[/i], which is completely different from man's time. It's a difficult thing to explain, I think.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Yes, I would have to agree with Boo. Science claims to have the answers to so many things, but constantly they change something or something that they've said proves to be incorrect. And even what they've shown has not disproved the existence of God, and there is so much that science cannot explain. I do agree that much of it is to be interpreted not literally.

[color=navy][size=1]

Hold on hold on. Firstly, before you make any comments, don't call my and several other member's religion "ludicrous" or "insane". You seem not to have an understanding or accepting bone in your body, so before you go spitting on my religion, think before you act. I really don't appreciate that, and I'm sure several other people don't either.

Think. Okay, are you going to say that a being that, in the relegion of Christian, created humans and the Earth, would follow the same time-slots of the vary world he created? I mean, it could be explained in our terms that a day for our God could last billions, trillions, or however many years or eras.

Just because the Christians holy text is the Bible, doesn't mean that we [b]a)[/b] follow and believe in it blindly, [b]b)[/b] mean that we don't consider other posibilities, or [b]c)[/b] think that everything else is wrong. Believe it our not, a Christian in faith and belief can draw their own conclusions. It says in the Bible that Jesus and God are inside us, in our souls and hearts, and to me that means that if I ever have questions that can't be answered by the Bible, I can always look inwardly and still have faith to find answers. Which I have done.

I'm not a heavily religious person, but I hold my beliefs firmly and I stand on them. If I ever have a question, I believe that reason can explain it while still maintaining my faith in God and my religion.

I've seen several people post seemingly anti-relegious things seemingly out of spite. But don't ever list them as if they are "facts", because the truth is, science cannot prove everything and barely has proven anything if one looks into the ratio of theories and sceintific facts.

Heh. You know what's 'ludicrous' to me? The thought that the world, the creatures and wonders on it, and the great societies upon it are all a product of a trillion and one chance.[/color][/size]

[size=1][b]To Cygnus:[/b]
You really have no idea what you're talking about. 'They' are all individuals who think for theirselves. There used to be no room for interpretations seeing as the church leaders were too strict.

Now the beliefs haven't suddenly changed completely. People now just openly discuss certain parts of the Bible, which they couldn't do before. Now they look at some parts of the Bible differently. It's not like it's lost it's main message with it.

I myself try to interpretate the Bible differently where I think it is supposed to. Some more heavily religious people oftenly take the bible a bit more strict and exact. It really differs per person.

It's sad how you look at people as 'they' instead of individuals.

[i]Oh well, I hope you understand what I'm saying now. If not, I'll point my finger at you and laugh. Just because. After I've gone to bed, that is, as it's 4:30AM.[/i]
[/size]

[QUOTE=White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]What is it with you and things being laughable? I think you're view on things is laughable.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Sienna]
'Laughable' is a word I'm quite fond of... I also find it helps me describe things I often laugh at. Unless I'm mistaken that is the definition of the word 'laughable.' Also, I don't care if you think my opinion is laughable.

Boo, I wasn't referring to 'they' as individuals, I was referring to 'they' as in the Church itself.

And I don't buy into the "God has a different sense of time." theory either. Why? Because when the book was writtnr there was no concept of being any other time - the primitive peoples of the Mid East who wrote (And often plagerised) the scriptures which would later be assembled by the Romans into the Bible had no concept of other kinds of time. They didn't have time zones or the same AM-PM system we do, they judged time by where the Sun was in the sky, and it would have never occured to them that there was any other way of telling time.

And I know I'll probably be assaulted for my opinion, called ignorant and closed minded for my inability to accept anything even remotly relgious as fact, but the thruth is - I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion and I won't change it just so I don't offend people - don't bother replying if all you're going to do is call me ignorant and intolerent. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Boo][size=1]Ignore the above. Like you should do with most of Tical's posts, seeing as they lack terribly in quality and in actual useful information.

You can see those "Seven Days" as seven eras. Each day could for example be a few million years. It actually even connects a bit with the actual evolution of the Earth's inhabitants and all. A bit.[/size][/QUOTE]

That's a straight-up flame. Not the best quality yourself, now is it? Anyway, how many of my posts have you even read? Seriously?

Anyway, the perfectly clear explaination for all your questions is that there is no god. I'm not trying to hate on Christianity or anything, I'm not asking why you believe it and I'm not saying your dumb for believing it. I respect your beliefs highly. Hopefully, you also respect mine.

I was asked a question 'why does this not make sense' and my answer was 'cuz there's no god'. Why am I being attacked for answering a question when that is what was requested?

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Well Cygnus, for being so defensive of your own opinion, you certainly seem to insult other's quite a bit. Also I think you're just angry, and should calm down before posting again. Just a thought.

Anyway, I believe parts of the bible (not necessarily all of it) are open to interpretation. It was created as a guideline for christianity, not as a manual for the universe. I'm not really religious at all myself. My personal view is, "there may be a god, and there may not be, either way, I don't really care." However, I still accept the fact that a lot of what the bible says is good and right. That said, who are we to say how it should be taken?

My granddad happens to be a retired pastor, and even he admits that the bible wasn't meant to be taken completely literally. He thinks that the story of creation was the bible's (or rather, it's creators) way of explaining the unexplainable. We're talking about a text written thousands of years ago. Every theory that has previously been stated on this thread is completely valid. Unproven, yes, but still valid.

Not to antagonize you further Cygnus, but if you knew much of history, you would know that what Boo said is at least partially correct. Up until the past century or two, church leaders were extremly strict. One could be executed for speaking anti-religious things. Ancient church leaders allowed no other interpretation but their own, and so no other interpretations were made.

And one last thing... why shouldn't god have a different view of time? If he's the supreme being, he's been around for millenia. That would deffinately alter [i]my[/i] view of time.[/COLOR][/FONT]

EDIT: By the way Tical, Boo might have said it a little rudely, but your first post was crap. Maybe if you had said everything from your second post then...? Forgive me.

[quote name='Muad'Dib][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue']EDIT: By the way Tical, Boo might have said it a little rudely, but your first post was crap. Maybe if you had said everything from your second post then...? Forgive me.[/quote]

I just don't see any reason to drag out my answer with unnecessary babbling I could have gone so far as to say like.

"God couldn't be real it's totally unproven. The bible was written in ancient times just to start a cult. Jesus was just a martyr. It's unbelieveable that so many people could follow such obvious crap. This is the most obvious sign that humanity is stupid bla bla bla"

but really, that akes things complicated and hurts a lot of feelings. We've heard it all a million times and it's stupid. My answer is there is no god and that's all I need to say to get my point across.

[quote name='Tical']I just don't see any reason to drag out my answer with unnecessary babbling I could have gone so far as to say like.[/quote]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]True, but it would have made your post a lot less like spam.

Hell, you and Zero could be right. Maybe a thousand years from now, people will look back on christianity like they do to the Olympian gods. Those silly ancient people, believing in Jesus! Oh ha ha ha.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=navy][size=1]

By saying that Christianity is a cult, you are basically in turn saying all world religions are cults. Which is complete crap, Tical.

I mean honestly, the way you present your ideas seriously bring down the opinions you're trying to convey. You're definetly not going to get a positive "I accept your difference" reply from anybody by being so rudely blunt or by saying that anything that has to deal with something unscientific is crap and ridiculous to believe in.

I find it furtherly hilarious that your banner/avatar depicts an anime which draws heavily from Christianity and Judaic prophecies for it's entire plot. Apparently, the creator of that saw something you didn't that inspired him to create such an epic. On that note, here is my reason for believing in relegion:

How can our world and society be a product of a random chance?

Why would humans go past the state of basically animalistic needs in their society? What makes us so much different from any other 'animal'? Why do we alone have the creative mindset required to produce literature, music, art, philosophy, and politics? Why are we the only animal's on Earth that search for the answers of life? Does this help us in any form of surivival? Does this help us last longer? Do these things make our lives easier? No. They have zero primal survival worth, but they, instead, seem to be blessings upon our minds. Something to make our lives worth living and to inspire us to see the beauty in the life given to us.

Heh, in my eyes, if there were no God, I don't really think we would have society, because if you look at the other beings that are, in our relegion, not made in God's image, they seem to be perfectly satisfied with living in the wilderness. So, if there is no God, then why do humans even bother enjoying things that otherwise don't matter in our survival? I mean, wouldn't that just be a waste of time?

I just couldn't find the point in living if there was no possibility that there is something beyond death. I just couldn't believe that we are, and always have been, completely alone in our world. I just can't believe that our world, society, and great civilization is all product of a simple cosmic rolling of the dice.

But that's me, and these are my beliefs. I won't hate, dislike, or criticize anyone based on their beliefs, but I will defend my own.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=The Boss][color=navy][size=1]

By saying that Christianity is a cult, you are basically in turn saying all world relegions are cults. Which is complete crap, Tical.

I mean honestly, the way you present your ideas seriously bring down the opinions you're trying to convey. You're definetly not going to get a positive "I accept your difference" reply from anybody by being so rudely blunt or by saying that anything that has to deal with something unscientific is crap and ridiculous to believe in.

I find it furtherly hilarious that your banner/avatar depicts an anime which draws heavily from Christianity and Judaic prophecies for it's entire plot. Apparently, the creator of that saw something you didn't that inspired him to create such an epic. On that note, here is my reason for believing in relegion:

How can our world and society be a product of a random chance?

Why would humans go past the state of basically animalistic needs in their society? What makes us so much different from any other 'animal'? Why do we alone have the creative mindset required to produce literature, music, art, philosophy, and politics? Why are we the only animal's on Earth that search for the answers of life? Does this help us in any form of surivival? Does this help us last longer? Do these things make our lives easier? No. They have zero primal survival worth, but they, instead, seem to be blessings upon our minds. Something to make our lives worth living and to inspire us to see the beauty in the life given to us.

Heh, in my eyes, if there were no God, I don't really think we would have society, because if you look at the other beings that are, in our relegion, not made in God's image, they seem to be perfectly satisfied with living in the wilderness. So, if there is no God, then why do humans even bother enjoying things that otherwise don't matter in our survival? I mean, wouldn't that just be a waste of time?

I just couldn't find the point in living if there was no possibility that there is something beyond death. I just couldn't believe that we are, and always have been, completely alone in our world. I just can't believe that our world, society, and great civilization is all product of a simple cosmic rolling of the dice.

But that's me, and these are my beliefs. I won't hate, dislike, or criticize anyone based on their beliefs, but I will defend my own.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

woah woah woah!!! All that stuff in the quotation marks wasn't my actual opinion! I was just giving an example! All I said was 'there is no god,' nothing else. Anyway, I never said I wasn't interested in religeon. I'm really into it, I read a lot of religeous and christian books.

[quote name='cancer']Yes, I would have to agree with Boo. Science claims to have the answers to so many things, but constantly they change something or something that they've said proves to be incorrect. And even what they've shown has not disproved the existence of God, and there is so much that science cannot explain. I do agree that much of it is to be interpreted not literally.[/quote]

Spoken like a true religious person....

Science NEVER claims to have the answer, we have theories... look it up in the dictionary..... the only time we have answers is when we prove it...

[quote name='The Boss']By saying that Christianity is a cult, you are basically in turn saying all world relegions are cults. Which is complete crap, Tical.[/quote]

Actually by definition, all religion are indeed cults.

P.S. Am i the only one who enjoys how much Tical purposefully pisses you all off?

[color=navy][size=1]

Forgive me if I misunderstood your meaning in saying, but I took it as you were holding yourself a back in what you were saying. But neither did I say you weren't interested in religion. I simply stated my reasons for my beliefs and my reaction to what you and Cygnus have said thus far.

That is all, now back on topic.

And Transtic, that is correct. YOUR opinion, however crude it may be in the eyes of others, you should respect the fact that it may insult others by saying such things. Maybe one should consider this thread isn't meant to piss other's off, but simply discuss things in manner by speaking your opinion while having the respect to not insult other's spiritual beliefs, which I feel has been done, however unapperent it may be to you or those who have done so.
[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Transtic Nerve]
P.S. Am i the only one who enjoys how much Tical purposefully pisses you all off?[/QUOTE]

Oh please no, don't do that. I really just want peace, I am so tired of religeous debate. It doens't matter how much you argue, if a christian is devout enough that he will stand against you, he/she isn't going to fall. Arguing is POINTLESS your pont is POINTLESS. Everything anyone does is POINTLESS so there's no reason to make each other miserable.

[QUOTE=The Boss][color=navy][size=1]

And Transtic, that is correct. YOUR opinion, however crude it may be in the eyes of others, you should respect the fact that it may insult others by saying such things. Maybe one should consider this thread isn't meant to piss other's off, but simply discuss things in manner by speaking your opinion while having the respect to not insult other's spiritual beliefs, which I feel has been done, however unapperent it may be to you or those who have done so.
[/color][/size][/QUOTE][COLOR=Sienna]

The way I see it, if my opinion offends others than so be it. I won't censor my opinion just so that I don't offend other people. No matter how offensive my opinion may be to someone, it's my opinion and I'll express it. I feel that's how the world should work. There's to much political correctness and to little self-expression these days.[/COLOR]

I'd post my opinion but i can't help but feel it won't help the fact that this thread has turned into a "whos opinion is stupider then everyone elses" thread. I've usually stayed away from threads like this but it bugs me wheh these threads are created and people still fall into the trap of engaging in debates with strong potential to become arguments that have lost intellegible meaning.

I'll just simply say that this was bound to be contraversial from the beggining since the topic is religion based, and it is almost always going to induce the opinions of ignorant people, defensive people, and passionate people. I for one believe in god, am a catholic, and it does bug me when people simply state there is no god without even having as much as a simple theory for their own beliefs, however rather then joining in i'll just suggest that the thread be closed...but that's just my [I]opinion[/I].

[QUOTE=BKstyles]I'd post my opinion but i can't help but feel it won't help the fact that this thread has turned into a "whos opinion is stupider then everyone elses" thread. I've usually stayed away from threads like this but it bugs me wheh these threads are created and people still fall into the trap of engaging in debates with strong potential to become arguments that have lost intellegible meaning.

I'll just simply say that this was bound to be contraversial from the beggining since the topic is religion based, and it is almost always going to induce the opinions of ignorant people, defensive people, and passionate people. I for one believe in god, am a catholic, and it does bug me when people simply state there is no god without even having as much as a simple theory for their own beliefs, however rather then joining in i'll just suggest that the thread be closed...but that's just my [I]opinion[/I].[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Sienna]
Did it ever occure to you that endless circuler arguements can be fun? At least, I find them fun.

Why do you assume that just because we don't present it, we don't have a theory? I don't feel like posting an essay (Because no one wants to read a 10-paragraph theory on why their belief is wrong.), unless of course I'm ASKED to write an essay.[/COLOR]

If you want to know why I don't think there is a god, it's cuz I can't believe it. It just seems so unreal... so impossible. I mean go read a novel and read the bible and there aint much difference. It just seems so unlikely.

And like the whole Egyption god thing. I mean, just cuz you believe something doens't make it true. There could be a god. who knows? Why argue?

[size=1]First of all, [B]both sides need to cool down before the thread is closed.[/B] To the Atheists, all the religious ask for is respect. To the religious, please respect the Atheistic view that there is no God. I think the problem is that Atheists become antagonistic and believe that faith is completely foolish, which is rude and inconsiderate.

[quote name='Cygnus X-1][COLOR=Sienna']And I don't buy into the "God has a different sense of time." theory either. Why? Because when the book was writtnr there was no concept of being any other time - the primitive peoples of the Mid East who wrote (And often plagerised) the scriptures which would later be assembled by the Romans into the Bible had no concept of other kinds of time. They didn't have time zones or the same AM-PM system we do, they judged time by where the Sun was in the sky, and it would have never occured to them that there was any other way of telling time.[/COLOR][/quote]
I suppose that it's easy to trivialize the accomplishments of the Middle Eastern peoples. While Europe was just a mass of dirt, the Middle East was progressing in the fields of math, science, medicine, architecture, etc. In addition, the Bible is rather eloquent. My point is: do you think that such a collection of books could be written by some primitive savage? Do you think that such eloquence would belong to such a person? No. And if the answer is no, do you think that such an eloquent author (or group of them) would be able to comprehend the concept of "time"? Of course. And if they can comprehend the concept of time, it isn't too huge an assumption to say that they could fathom manipulations of it, just as we're doing now.

I grow weary of all the attempts to refute the Bible. If you see it as a dusty book that should belong in the fiction aisle, that's great. All debates of religious nature dead-end due to the fact that one side is rooted in the unseeable and the other side demands physical proof (and they don't buy the whole Jesus bit).[/size]