OtakuBoards

Magic W?

2010DigitalBoy

[COLOR=Navy]Athena, he didn't mean that one magically appears, just that it looks different.

I think it just looks that way because it's a thin letter, while most others beside it are wider.

But if you seriously see it as lighter, perhaps post a screen shot of it. But I personally don't see it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#656446][center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/meoi/aa.png[/IMG][/center]

[SIZE=1]Interesting what "Find all posts by Tical" can bring up. :3[/size]

If you look [i]very hard[/i], you'll see that the innermost pixels are still black. This is the true text color. From what I gather, it seems that our usernames are displayed with the anti-aliasing feature on. See them gray pixels around the W's arms? That's what I'm talking about.

Because pixels are basically squares, they can't render them diagonal lines in "W" as good as, say, the vertical lines in "h". Also, Removing the gray pixels will make W look a lot thinner than the other letters. That's why the pixels nearest to the diagonal lines are in a shade a bit lighter than the original text color but darker than the background. That way, when you view the text, it look less pixelly/pixellated (see "Member" under "White") and it blends nicely with the background.

Same thing happens in usernames with V's. Hope that helps![/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]If other people are seeing anti-aliasing on usernames, I'm not sure where it's coming from. They appear normal for me, in both Firefox and IE:

[center][img]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/917/obusernameqj9.gif[/img][/center]

I don't think you can even make text anti-aliased through HTML or CSS, which makes me think it must be an option in people's browsers. [i]font-size:14pt; text-decoration:none[/i] are the only two styles being applied to the usernames.[/color]

[COLOR=#656446]If you want to disable the anti-aliasing feature, go to [b]Display Properties > Appearance > Effects[/b]. Uncheck [b]Use the following to smooth edges of screen fonts[/b]. Yes, it's not a browser thing. :P

GogoGO!!![/COLOR]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Yeah, my name rocks. :o

Anyway, I did what Delta said in her last post and I must say that the Anti-Aliasing makes it look much better. So even though the W in my name is a bit weirder with Anti-Aliasing on, it's still worth it.

By the way, Tical. Why does it even matter? I mean, I'm the only active OB member with a capital W (and there aren't any active members with a capital V) right now. Plus, the light shade effect doesn't work on small case W's and V's. :whoops:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=White][color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Yeah, my name rocks. :o

Anyway, I did what Delta said in her last post and I must say that the Anti-Aliasing makes it look much better. So even though the W in my name is a bit weirder with Anti-Aliasing on, it's still worth it.

By the way, Tical. Why does it even matter? I mean, I'm the only active OB member with a capital W (and there aren't any active members with a capital V) right now. Plus, the light shade effect doesn't work on small case W's and V's. :whoops:[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

IUt does on my comp. Id noticed it in your name for a while, I thought you had used some magic to make the W a sort of white color to fit your name, but then I started seeing it in other names as well.

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Heh I never noticed that about White's username before, strange really. I'm not going to bother disabling the font smoothing effect for the sake of one person's username, heh I don't think there'd be any real point as usually stuff looks a lot rougher without it. [/SIZE]

[color=#4B0082]I always keep that off, so I'd completely forgotten about it. It just adds more of a load to my aging graphics card while I play Guild Wars in windowed mode for a change that's barely noticeable. Also, I <3 teh pixels.[/color]