OtakuBoards

Crackdown on Spam.

Flash

Over the next few weeks, Warlock, Rico and I are going to be cracking down on spam in the G&S forums. We get alot of complaints from this forum, and we want to bring it back upto standard.

Alot of people think the G&S forum is just a place to post pointless messages to get their post count up... Well, they're wrong, for two reasons.. One, Post counts don't matter. And Two, G&S is _not_ a place to spam. It is a place to Roleplay, and play games, and post stories/fanfics you have written...

Also, It seems that we're having alot of trouble with 'Bar/Hangout/Party' topics (for example; PRP and such), so I talked it over with the other Moderators of G&S, and I've decided to make a thread called; 'Otaku Social'. This way, you can still have a 'place to hangout' as such, without cluttering up the Games and Stories forum with junk.

Thank you for your co-operation..

ok...I know their is some spam in here....but I am a regular visitor of G&S((actully the only thread I regularly visit))...and maybe it is cause I only keep to the legit topics...but I don't see to much spam...and most the RPG's that are started in here are really quite good...out of all the RPGs I have seen maybe only 3 or 4 of them were really stupid...anyway...go on the spam crackdown Flash...I am tired of seeing comments from people who hardly ever post in G&S saying this place is full of spam...maybe this will make em stop whining...and thank you for G&S Social...

*edit*mayhap you should deleate these post too...as no one really needs to post in reply to a topic such as this...*shrugs*...dosn't matter...the post count thingy only matter till you get 500 post...then you can get a custom avatar...heh won't be surprised if I lose a few post...oh and are you going to kill The Cafe or move it to G&S SOCIAL?*?edit*

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Justin [/i]
[B]I was wondering whhen it would come to something like this...

-Justin [/B][/QUOTE]

Whatever do you mean, Justin? Was that a... positive or a negative response? Hopefully you'll reply...

Also, if you plan to start up an unprepared thread...kinda like

"Story Start's here, do what ever..."

Okay, that was sort of an exaggeration but I think you know what I mean at least give a little "read ahead" or think of a beginning plot line to build from before you set it up or else no one knows what to post next.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kool_aid13 [/i]
[B]will the otaku social still be in G&S? [/B][/QUOTE]

Of course...
And like Rico said, don't just start an RPG with 'Okay start here', especially if there's not even a sign-up topic... That's just stupid.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Final_Flash [/i]
[B]

Of course...
And like Rico said, don't just start an RPG with 'Okay start here', especially if there's not even a sign-up topic... That's just stupid. [/B][/QUOTE][FONT=century gothic]Errr....Well, I know that the thread was closed right away, I was kinda confused as to why. All the background information had been posted in the sign-up topic, the people who had signed up knew what it was for. I guess that's the reason, but still....it doesn't quite make sense to me to close an RPG before anyone's really had a chance to start it?[/FONT]

Bah. I knew the time would come. Ok, now I'm a bit confused(It HAD to happen). Will Flash be starting this RPG(Or Rico or Warlock, for that matter), or is it up to a member? I'm thinking it's gonna be a mod, but that's me. Bah. i hate being so stupid.

Sorry for the short post, but it's a simple question, needing a simple answer, for a simple guy.
-Neil

[SIZE=1]Well Games and Stories has alwways had this type of problem, but it has been getting worse in recent months with the increase of party and nonsense topics. Its nice to see that the mods are at least admitting there is a problem... good luck.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Final_Flash [/i]
[B]

Whatever do you mean, Justin? Was that a... positive or a negative response? Hopefully you'll reply... [/B][/QUOTE]
It was positive from your perspective. I'm supporting this crackdown on spam as well as stating that there has always been problems in the G/S forum with spam. That's, as we all know, why so many threads had to have been deleted here. So, even though you don't need it, you have my two thumbs up...

-Justin

[color=orangered][size=1]I personally think that a "Social Otaku" thread is kind of contradicting what we're trying to achieve here.

I mean, we're talking about deleting the pointless stuff. The bar topics, the dating topics...topics where people are just talking or posting pointless rubbish.

General Discussion is the place for idle chat...not Games & Stories. In the forum description, it is specifically stated: a place for you to share your fan stories or to play games.

Now for the most part, the RPGs in here are excellent...and I'm very proud of the overall quality of many of the RPGs in this forum when compared to other sites.

But those topics such as the Padded Room Party are just garbage. They are nothing but pointless, mindless crap posted again and again...and really, that kind of thing can be done away from the boards.

But with stories and RPGs, there's a chance to really have something which at least has a point lol.

Anyway...we'll see how it goes. I don't see that we need a "crack down" on spam as such, as the moderators in this forum should technically have been "cracking down" on spam from the very beginning.

I'd like to see that attitude continuing on a constant basis. :)[/color][/size]

James, just a thought...Not attacking you or anything...so please don't get mad...Well 1) Something such as Otaku Social can be considered an RPG if played right...If someonee posted..."I am hungry" thats not an RPG, but if say someone said" George: *walks into a bar* Hey bartender gimme a martini! *grabs the martini and walks to Susie* Hey Susie how ya doing...wanna dance?" That would be considered RPG...2) We don't really have an idle chat in G/D it seems that alot of them are deleted saying they are not coherent....Well where do we talk about our normal lives if they are not bad situations?? I don't know..just a thought...I mean no disrespect...

Granted all those threads were taking up space..And thats why I think Otaku Social is such a great idea...We have our own tiny little world..I mean there is even a map...If you think about it, it is just like an RPG... And since it is a sticky...we won't have people keep making them...Like "Dating Game CONT." Or something..because the first one was deleted...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DuoGod of Death [/i]
[B]James, just a thought...Not attacking you or anything...so please don't get mad...Well 1) Something such as Otaku Social can be considered an RPG if played right...If someonee posted..."I am hungry" thats not an RPG, but if say someone said" George: *walks into a bar* Hey bartender gimme a martini! *grabs the martini and walks to Susie* Hey Susie how ya doing...wanna dance?" That would be considered RPG...2) We don't really have an idle chat in G/D it seems that alot of them are deleted saying they are not coherent....Well where do we talk about our normal lives if they are not bad situations?? I don't know..just a thought...I mean no disrespect...

Granted all those threads were taking up space..And thats why I think Otaku Social is such a great idea...We have our own tiny little world..I mean there is even a map...If you think about it, it is just like an RPG... And since it is a sticky...we won't have people keep making them...Like "Dating Game CONT." Or something..because the first one was deleted... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=orangered][size=1]My primary problem with these threads is that they get so large that it becomes difficult to control spamming (which is also annoying for people who post legitimately in those threads).

However, I am confident that the moderators of this forum will follow the topic page by page to make sure that it remains relevant.

As for your comment about GD, I disagree with you there. We don't close idle chat topics, rather, we close topics which have either no point, which repeat things that are constantly talked about over and over...or which are offensive/inappropriate.

Thus, there is more than enough room for all kinds of chat in GD. It just requires a little thought when posting. :)[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[color=orangered][size=1]However, I am confident that the moderators of this forum will follow the topic page by page to make sure that it remains relevant.[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE][FONT=century gothic]Flash, Rico, Warlock.....I do [i]not[/i]envy you guys. x.x

Best of luck to you.[/FONT]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Majora's Mask [/i]
[B]

Lol, there was a padded room party? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, there was one. Trust me, it was one spam filled topic. But it's gone now, and hopefully will never come back...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cera [/i]

Flash, Rico, Warlock.....I do [i]not[/i]envy you guys. x.x

Best of luck to you.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks [I]alot[/I] for your vote of confidence there...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Majora's Mask [/i]
[B]

Lol, there was a padded room party? [/B][/QUOTE]

[warning]This may be a bit spammy[/warning]

*goes insane*
WHAT?! HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW OF THE PRP?!
*attacks. Staff members restrain*

Ok, I'm ok... Well, the PRP was, as Warlock said, VERY thickly spammed. A lot by me. I killed everyone at least, what? 3, 4, 5 times a day? It was fun at the moment, but it wasn't fun when it got deleted. I lost about 703 posts. Meh. No, I'm NOT tryin to boast, or show that I posted a lot. I'm warning you. Don't make a new PRP. Also, don't spam. Meh. I made that mistake. But, I believe that I've changed. Right? Y'all think so? Eh? lol