OtakuBoards

Coolest Song in the World This Week

Albert Flasher

[quote name='Billy Shears][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Amazing song right there. And in an eerie twist of fate, I suggest "Only Moment We Were Alone" by Explosions in the Sky, another ambient/rock band like This Will Destroy You, as my song of the week.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

[color=crimson]Hearing post-rock music live is a really amazing expierence. I don't know if Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Gregor Samsa or any other post-rock band will come to my city anytime soon but, thankfully, This Will Destroy You is from a town thirty miles away so many of their shows are local lol.[/color]

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='DeathKnight][color=crimson']Hearing post-rock music live is a really amazing expierence. I don't know if Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Gregor Samsa or any other post-rock band will come to my city anytime soon but, thankfully, This Will Destroy You is from a town thirty miles away so many of their shows are local lol.[/color][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][URL=http://youtube.com/watch?v=FtW67TCAn0E]This link[/URL] goes to the song. Excellent, emotional, moving performance.

Lucky me, Explosions is coming to Chicago March 13. I'll be there![/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Since [B][U] A Weekend In The City[/B][/U] by Bloc Party has come out, I have become very dissapointed by how so much of their new stuff sounds like....some Anti-Bloc Party-emo-crap. Ealier in the week though I came across a digital Bloc Party EP: [B][U]Always New Depths: The Silent Alarm Sessions[/B][/U] and this week's song, is not performed by them, but by [B] The Go! Team[/B] :

Positive Tension / Bloc Party Vs. The Go! Team

I like this track, cos they manage to reeinginer the track to go from dark brooding break up song to an indie pop instrumental, I love the double drum thing.

[B][U]Honourable Mentions[/B]
[/U]Robot Rock [Soulwax Remix] / Soulwax Vs. Daft Punk
Rocket Ride [Soulwax Rock It Right Mix] / Felix Da Housecat
Technologic [Vitalic Remix] / Vitalic Vs. Daft Punk[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Well, I would've have to say the coolest song in the world this week would be "Now You've Got Something To Die For" by[B] Lamb of God[/B]. It's just an awesome song all the way around, and it's really got a great sound throughout the entire song. Awesome.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=dimgray] [b]What Goes Around.../...Comes Around Interlude[/b] by Justin Timberlake. I [i]cannot[/i] be the only person around here that loves Justin Timberlake right now ([strike]HIP-HOP KIDS ANYONE?[/strike]). He's been rocking out the awesome lately.

Timberlake's songs have that nice pop/r&b mix that just works well with him, and they're just songs you want to party out to with close friends during a sleepover.

Actually, all of the singles that has come from Future Sex/Love Sounds are all really great songs. Call me a fan, but they're just [i]slick[/i]. And only Justin Timberlake could pull it off. ;)[/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I finally got a new CD here (well, CDs) so i've got some new songs to add. I've already been through most of my favorite opeth songs, but I'll now be tossing [B]Ghost[/B] [B]of Perdition [/B] and [B]Harlequin Forest[/B] on the pile as well with the arrival of my new [B]Ghost Reveries [/B] CD. [B]Hours of Wealth[/B] is another beauty if i haven't already metioned that one.

Also, [B]I Know you're ****ing Someone Else [/B] by [B]Type O Negative [/B] is purely awesome. You gotta get this stuck in your head when you hear it, lol. Especially the chorus.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1] I've been having anxiety attacks alot more often, so to prevent myself to become enveloped in depression, and commiting suicide, I've been listening to alot of electro to keep my mind preoccupied:

Robot Rock [Soulwax Remix] / Daft Punk, because the guitar riffs are so awesome, and the outro reminds me of a malfunctioning nintendo.

[B][U]Honourable Mentions[/B][/U]

Oops, Oh My! / Ladytron
Rocket Ride [Soulwax Rock It Right Mix] / Felix Da Housecat
Romantic Rights [Erol Alkan's Love From Below ReEdit] / Death From Above 1979

- Felix Santiago[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]I've been on a [B]King Crimson[/B] kick lately, two of my three nominees are songs by them.

"Red" and "Larks Tounge in Aspic Pt. 1" have been stuck in my head forever now. They are both guitar driven instrumentals, and they kick some major ***. Robert Fripp seems like an understated guitarist, and he needs some more respect in the modern community.

The other nominee is [B]Hella[/B]'s "The Ungreatful Dead" from their new album [I]There's No 666 in Outerspace[/I]. The song is, to be frank, almost a blatant ripoff of the [B]Mars Volta[/B]'s style (which isn't really a bad thing), lots of dissonance in the riffs and the vocals are just a slightly lower pitched Cedric impression. But it is sort of a different departure from older material when they were just a duo. It includes vocals as well, which don't detract from the music, but don't really add anything to the song. They aren't bad or spectacular, just kind of there. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Just got the [B]Agalloch[/B] CD [B]Pale Folklore[/B] and while I haven't technically heard it in it' entirety, I'm loving what Ive heard.

The three part epic [B]She Painted Fire on the Skyline[/B] is a major awesomness, especially at the beginning of part 3 (in my sig.)

Every track on here is speectacular, though a special nod goes to [B]As Embers Dress the Sky[/B] as Ive been listening to it for a long time and loving it.

I love these lyrics. Beautifully poetic.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1] This week I've picked on yet another Bloc Party song.

[B]Waiting For The 7.18[/B] / A Weekend In The City

cos, I just cant handle being this far away from the girl I love, for this lengthy amount of time
I also think my friend's [or myself] are becoming more engulfed in their work and we really need time to get together and hang out more often.
plus I hate being sick. that's what a day of being under the weather feels like:

Waiting For The 7.18

oh, the guitar riffs at the ending are pwnage.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Managed to pick up[B] Ayreon [/B]- [B]The Universal Migrator Part 1&2 [/B]for only 10 bucks. It's alright, but not quite the beauty that is [B]The Human Equasion.[/B] So far, I've liked a few songs on there, but none were overwhelming. My favorites have to be [B]My House On Mars[/B], [B]The First Man On Earth[/B], and, of course [B]Through The Wormhole[/B]. Worth checking out if you can find it as cheap as I did.

Also, just listened to that sng by [B]Explosions in the Sky[/B]. Great song, one of the best post-rock performances I've heard. Not as heavy as my usual tastes, but still a moving piece.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"Carpe" & "Death Rides a Horse" by [URL=http://www.myspace.com/russiancircles][B]Russian Circles[/B][/URL].

Both are post-rock-metal crossovers and they are nothing short of spectacular. I have had their EP [I]Enter[/I] for a while now, listened to it and really liked it, but only put it on every once in a while. Now I listen to it pretty much every day.

"Screamin' Eagle" by [B]the Desert Sessions[/B] (album: Vol I & II) has been stuck in my noggin along with [B]Russian Circles[/B]. If anyone knows about [B]the Desert Sessions[/B], it was a project started by Josh Homme of [B]Kyuss[/B]/ [B]Queens of the Stone Age[/B], who gathered a bunch of musicians and just wrote some great songs. Most of this album is instrumental, and i havent heard Vol. III-X yet, but I look forward to it.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Billy Shears][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"Carpe" & "Death Rides a Horse" by [URL=http://www.myspace.com/russiancircles][B]Russian Circles[/B][/URL].

Both are post-rock-metal crossovers and they are nothing short of spectacular. I have had their EP [I]Enter[/I] for a while now, listened to it and really liked it, but only put it on every once in a while. Now I listen to it pretty much every day.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Both of these songs are amazing -- I've been listening to them on their purevolume account since I can't justify buying such a short release, lol. I like that they're heavy but, unlike most post-metal bands, have no lyrics.

Also, I've had the song[B] Lazy Eye[/B] by [B]Silversun Pickups[/B] stuck in my head for a while. They remind me of [B]Coheed and Cambria[/B] a bit, so I'm interested in hearing more by them. [/COLOR]

[SIZE=1] It never seems like I break the habit of listening to Bloc Party nonstop:

[B] She's Hearing Voices [/B]

I chose this off [B] Silent Alarm [/B] cos I have a feeling that a female friend of mine is going through what the girl in the song is going through [minus the meds]

[URL=http://blocparty.net/sheshearingvoices.html][B]Lyrics[/B] [/URL]

plus I can play almost every part of the song [drumline bassline, support and main guitar] except the guitar solo towards the end.
I love the negative and danceable feel of this track too.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Gray]Currently:

[B]This Wheel's On Fire[/B] by [B]The Band[/B]

Great bit of music from the band that first spanned the bridge between Roots of Rock and Rock n' Roll. Right now I just love it - it might not be as big as The Weight or Up On Cripple Creek, but it's still a fanastic song. Not sure what the hell it's about, but I really don't care.

HM: Badge (Cream), Tie Your Mother Down (Queen), Back In The High Life Again (Warren Zevon), Dancing In The Streets (David Bowie and Mic Jagger)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Don't remember who sings it but...

If I Could Be A Superhero

A brilliant comedic piece of choosing which superhero you would be, Best hero?

[I]If I could be a superhero
I would be drug-free boy
I'd tell the world of the evils of drugs
And all the live they destroy
So I'd take all the jumies getting so high
With teir needles and bongs and their sticks made of tiy
As I burned them alive I would squeal with joy
Cuz I would be drug-free boy[/I]

Wonderful, XD. *Puts on Y bandana and pretends to be drug-free boy*[/COLOR]

[color=crimson][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkOQPovPU2A]Summoning of the Muse[/url] and [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tluogv9EGTQ]The Host of Seraphim[/url] are the songs of the week. Both are by Dead Can Dance and are very beautiful songs. I'd recommend to any who enjoy these songs to pick up some music from Dead Can Dance.. all of their songs are good.[/color]

[size=1]Well, this week would probably be something by [I]Yawning Man[/I]... they're a mid-80's formed stoner rock band who have pretty much split up now, as I recall. Here is a good description of their music.

"Yawning Man?s music sounds like a melancholic mix of acoustic space rock with elements of surf music, as well as middle eastern guitar style. Yawning Man was responsible for influencing music in the desert and creating a sound which today is still trying to be duplicated."

For this week I'd nominate [b]Rock Formations[/b] by [i]Yawning Man[/i] off the album of the same name.[/size]

[SIZE=1] This week I pick on more Bloc Party. Something from Silent Alarm: Remixed

[B]Compliments [Shibuyaka Remix By Nick Zinner][/B]

I picked this song cos it's very very calming and relaxing, yet it has this feeling of pure death, gloom and the feeling one gets when you hit a dead end to something you really long for, the best part of the song is the two minutes of silence at the end to reinforce that feeling.[/SIZE]