OtakuBoards

Suggestions?

XPS

Hey Everyone

Just recently started getting into anime, I'm really picky about the shows I will watch.
I have been watching Samurai and my brother got me into Full Metal Alchemist, but now I'm hooked and need a new dose of anime greatness :animesmil
Thought maybe someone would be able to recommend a good series.
I'm over 18 and cant get into some of the titles but I am sure there is something out there that I have missed. Normally the only ones I will watch is the ones that come out at the local movie store. (not many)
Gonna take a look through the forum and check out some titles that I haven't heard of

Well a few suggestion i can give are Comic Party revoultion- basically if ever wanted to know how to make manga or doujinshi everything you want to know in that series.

Another suggestion is Full metal panic Fummofu if you every read the fullmetal panic manga series imagine that's with all the action taken out and nothing but funny put back in it's place.

Happy lesson- a series about a boy with 5 mom's so to speak they each bring their own unique funny to this series. that good thing about this series is it's completed and you can get all the episodes now if you want.

and my last suggeston is Chobits i've read the manga and own the anime the story in it is a little heavy on the romance stuff but if you the kind of person who can last throguht it there are some really funny elements behind that. and the drama is done in amount Hope you like my suggestions

One Piece - If you're open enough, or can look past the non-standardized art style, or even like that style of art, the story is great, and in itself worthy of an honorable mention, however do NOT watch the 4kids dub of this series, since it had over 40 episodes cut from around 140 total episodes, yeah, that's over a third of the series. Plot holes, bad editing, NO original Japanese music, basically the worst dub to air on TV, probably ever, even worse than the original Dragonball Z dubs, and those were BAD.

Bleach - One for the fan of fighting series, however the anime has gotten heavily into filler and is honestly not that exciting at this point. A good one to pick up on if you're watching dubs.

Death Note - Currently in America only the English language manga is being released by VIZ LLC. However the Anime is currently airing in Japan, and since the manga has ended, there is no possibility for filler, unless that's how the director chooses to direct things, which hasn't been the case thus far. Currently the anime has released 12 episodes in Japan.

[COLOR=DarkOrange]So, your new to anime, eh?

Immediately go for the classic above all classics[B] Neon Genesis Evangelion[/B]. Best fights, best story, some freaking crazy parts and an ending that may just change your perception of the world.

another good one if you like action is [B]Elfen Leid [/B] allthough I warn you it contains supurfluous underage nudity (no sex, though) and more gore than you can shake a stick at.

If you wanna check out some cool movies, scope out [B]Blood The Last Vampire [/B] or [B]Vampire Hunter D[/B]. Both are great, well-written action movies. If you want something with more of a thriller aspect, check out [B]X the movie[/B].

If you want to get deeper, you have to look for stuff online. For now I'm keeping to stuff that's easy to find on DVD.[/COLOR]

I had a feeling there were some good ones out, I've checked out a few of the titles and some look really good. Are there any good websites or online stores out there that sell titles that are not available at your local video store.
Thanks for all the great ideas, I will have to spend a night choosing through some promising anime.

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]So, your new to anime, eh?

Immediately go for the classic above all classics[B] Neon Genesis Evangelion[/B]. Best fights, best story, some freaking crazy parts and an ending that may just change your perception of the world. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]
OH WOW. I can't believe I left that one out of my earlier reply. Seconding this.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a definate must.

And try Ghost in the Shell if your into Sc-fi stuff. The movies are kind of deep, so if you not into philisophical-like stuff, go for the T.V. series, Stand Alone Complex. And make sure its the first season, not 2nd GIG, the first seasons better.

Also Hellsing is a great anime thats good for older fans.

[FONT=Arial]Of the one's I've seen and liked, I'd have to agree with [COLOR=DarkRed]2007DigitalBoy[/COLOR] on [B]Evangelion[/B]. It's pretty psychologically intense. But since you've watched FMA, I think you'll like it. Others along the psychological line are [B]Wolf's Rain[/B], [B]Trigun[/B], [B]Cowboy Bebop[/B] (there's a storyline there, but you have to look for it?it's great, though), [B]The Big O[/B], and to a lesser extent, [B]Eureka 7[/B]. [B]Ghost in the Shell[/B] and [B]Trinity Blood[/B] are amazing, but you have to be a mental person to appreciate them completely; Trinity Blood's Abel Nightroad actually reminds me a bit of Trigun's Vash the Stampede, except more utterly inept-acting. [B]Furi Kuri[/B], also called Folly Cooly, or FLCL, is a six-episode parody of everything. Even John Woo. [B]InuYasha[/B] is pretty popular, so you'll probably dig it. [B]Bleach[/B] is great from what I've seen so far, so I'll go ahead and recommend it as well. Along the same fighting lines, [B]Rurouni Kenshin[/B] is a good one to look at, too.

Sorry I had to put everything all in one paragraph for you, but I don't really want to give too much away. You can take a look at these to see what interests you, and occasionally some things'll show on[/FONT] [size=1][adult swim][/size] [FONT=Arial], but you'll have to decide for yourself on a lot of this stuff.

-A[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph] [B]InuYasha[/B'] is pretty popular, so you'll probably dig it.[/quote]

[COLOR=Magenta]Inuyasha -is a really great series. I totally agree with Allamorph on that one. There is a lot of volumes on it too. But over all it's the number one anime world wide. I think.

Tsubasa- My sis is collexting it and I'm reading it. It's a really great series and it has a couple of twists and turns in it too.

Rurouni Kenshin- Another great manga and anime series. I also recemmend. Great Action and Romance all in one.

Chrono Crusade- some demons and great action with a lot of twists with the stroy line. All volumes out and it's the last one that I have to offer to you.[/COLOR]

well i have some suggestions:Cowboy Bebop,Witch Hunter Robin and some older ones Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin,Outlaw Star.when i say old i mean that the series is over and there i no new episodes.but i just named off some of my favorites.if you ever look any of them up private message me and tell me what you think of them.

[COLOR=Teal]A fair number of the recent suggestions are treading too close to being spammy and not really useful in helping the original poster in choosing a show. Other than to convey the message that you liked it so they might too. I?m going to pick you Allamorph to explain what I?m getting at here, nothing personal. ^_~ [quote name='Allamorph][FONT=Arial] [B]InuYasha[/B] is pretty popular, so you'll probably dig it. [/FONT][/QUOTE]Other than to explain that it?s a popular show you didn?t give any information as to what it is about. It?s pretty easy to give a little summary of the show since you can simply quote Anime News Network who has hundreds of anime shows listed at their site which include a little about each show. Here?s a bit from them on Inuyasha. [quote=Anime News Network] Higurashi Kagome, after being pulled down a well by a demon, finds herself in Feudal Japan, where she learns that a powerful jewel has been reborn inside her body. After the jewel shatters in an attempt to retrieve it from one of the many demons who was after its power, Kagome must join forces with the half-demon Inu Yasha (also after the jewel's power) to track down the shards of the jewel before its power falls into the wrong hands.[/quote]I'm sure you can easily see how this makes it easier for them to decide if such a show would interest them. Here?s another one from that site that explains a little about a show I would recommend, Fruits Basket: [quote=Anime News Network']Tohru Honda is a 16 year old orphaned girl who gets invited to live in the house of her classmate, the handsome boy Sohma Yuki, and his cousins, 16 year old Kyo and 27 year old Shigure. However, these young men and parts of the rest of their family (both close and distant) hold a curse; if they are hugged by the opposite gender, they transform into animals of the Chinese Zodiac. Everyday is an adventure for sweet Tohru, as she gets to know everyone in the large family better (especially Yuki and Kyo), in both common and bizarre situations. But, the Sohma Family curse is certainly no laughing matter... it also holds horrible cruelty and heartbreak.[/quote]So I expect everyone to start doing more than saying, watch this you?ll like it! Please try to at least tell them what type of show it is and a little on what its about and why you like it.

For me I adore Fruits Basket since the interaction between the characters is full of innuendoes and downright funny. Especially when Tohru [spoiler]accidentially hugs one of the Sohma?s and transforms them into an animal of the zodiac. And it?s too funny how they are naked when they transform back to a human since they fell out of their clothes when they transformed in the first place. [/spoiler]

It?s got a good mix of watching relationships grow, seeing people get over awkward moments when you are growing up and lots of comedy thrown in to keep you entertained at the same time. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR=Teal']A fair number of the recent suggestions are treading too close to being spammy and not really useful in helping the original poster in choosing a show.[/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Yeah, I know. I was basically just throwing ideas out there; I felt a synopsis for each of my suggestions might have bordered on the tedious. Still, I suppose I can give a quick run-down. Whatever I can't remember, I shall supplement from the glorious source that is Wikipedia.

[center]---------------------------------------[/center]

[B][U]Neon Genesis Evangelion:[/U][/B] The series starts approximately fifteen years after a cataclysmic event referred to as [I]"Second Impact"[/I]; ostensibly, [I]Second Impact[/I] was caused by a meteorite crashing into Antarctica at the speed of light, and humanity has just recovered from the massive climate shift and ensuing warfare. As the series begins, the city Tokyo-3 is attacked by a large, powerful entity known as an Angel. Conventional weapons are useless against it, since it is capable of generating a impenetrable protective barrier called an AT (Absolute Terror) field, but NERV, a paramilitary organization, combats the angel with a biomechanical mecha they call an Evangelion unit. The Eva's AT field is capable of penetrating the AT field of the Angel, and the Angel is destroyed.

The series revolves around Shinji Ikari (son of NERV's commander Gendo Ikari and the eventual pilot of Eva Unit 01), the recurring attacks by the Angels and the purpose behind them, Shinji's relationsips with other NERV members, and what exactly the [I]Second Impact[/I] actually was. References to Judeo-Christian symbols are numerous, and a good part of the series deals with psychoanalyses of the main characters.

[B][U]The Big O:[/U][/B] [quote name='Wikipedia][FONT=Arial']Forty years before the series, disaster struck. The world was turned into a vast desert wasteland and the survivors were left without memories.[/FONT][/quote]
Seems to be a recurring theme, no?

Paradigm City was built after the disaster occurred, taking its name from the Paradigm Corportation, which essentially runs the entire city itself. There are two main sections to the city: large bio-domes that house the city's richer inhabitants, and the area outside the domes where everyone else lives.
[I][indent]"In this city, the firm called Paradigm is considered both God and State."
[indent]?Roger Smith, Act: 04[/indent][/indent][/I]
Roger Smith is the Negotiator for Paradigm City, which means that it is his job to resolve all of the city's recurring problems (socio-economic ones aside, naturally?Roger deals with people). He is also the only possessor and operator of a megadeus, massive mecha from before the disaster. Throughout the series, Roger, aided by his butler Norman Burg (like Bruce Wayne's Alfred, except better), the android R. Dorothy Wayneright, and his megadeus "Big O", attempts to uncover the events of the past and understand why it is that memories are so important.

[I][U]The Big O[/U][/I] is done in a film noir style, and is paralleled with [I][U]Batman[/I][/U] on numerous occasions, the most notable being between Paradigm City and Gotham City.

[B][U]Wolf's Rain:[/U][/B] Here we are presented with yet another post-apocalyptic society. (I told you there was a bit of a theme to this. :animeswea )

[QUOTE=Wikipedia][FONT=Arial]Wolf's Rain takes place in a post-apocalyptic time when much of the world has been ecologically devastated in a form of fimbulwinter and most people live in poverty. A legend is told in the "Book of the Moon" that wolves are mystical beings who came to the world from a place called Rakuen (Paradise), at the dawn of time. It is also said that, in the future, wolves will, with the help of a mysterious woman called the "Flower Maiden", a being created from the essence of lunar flowers, find a way to return to paradise, and in doing so will make the world start over so it could become a Paradise again. This legend is difficult for most to believe, though, because wolves were thought to have been hunted to extinction nearly 200 years before. Some wolves have survived, though, and have been coexisting with humans right under their noses. The wolves have a way of presenting themselves as being human to other humans, thus they can blend into human society with relatively little notice. This ability is in no way shapeshifting; it is a mental trick, an illusion.

. . . . . . . .

The story follows a pack of young wolves: Kiba, Tsume, Hige, and Toboe. Each name is the Japanese word for a part of a wolf.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
Interesting, that last bit. In order, they mean fang, claw, whisker, and howling.

The pack follows Kiba, their accepted leader, on his quest to find Paradise. Along the way they meet and are joined by Cheza (the Flower Maiden) the wolf-dog Blue, and the human Cher Degré. The series, though it moves slowly, is heavily psychological and emotional, and the only series to which I have voluntarily enslaved myself, despite a weeknight airtime. There's honestly not much else I can tell you, except stress the emotional bit.

[center]---------------------------------------[/center]

That's all I shall hit for now. I leave the rest for others, or for personal Wikipedia searching.[/FONT]

Well just like everyone else EVA is a deffinate. but here is some to try that some may haven't heard of or just negleted to post so far. anyway, a new anime [B]Pani Poni Dash[/B] Geneon's [B]Tenjho Tenge [/B] and [B]Midori Days[/B]

[B]Pani Poni Dash[/B]: is about an 11 year old teacher teaching a 10th grade class; it is a comedy that takes a cetain sence of humor I guess, it can be a bit slow, but its worth a try.

[B]Tenjho Tenge[/B]: this is an anime about two "Freshmen punks" that transfer to a martial arts school and their struggle to "take it over". It is mainly an action anime, but it does have its funny moments, again worth a shot.

[B]Midori Days[/B]: this is about a guy that fights gangs and defends his freind from the gangs and tries desperatly to get a girl freind, but his reputation as a fighter has made the girls are afraid of him. then randomly a girl that has had a crush on him sudenly appears as his right hand and story of them coaping with this odd circumstance. The best way to decribe this one is a romance comedy for it is very funny in that sence.

All of these are worth a shot in my oppinion

[SIZE=1]Eureka 7, give it a watch, the first few episodes might be confusing but it all clears up. Promise ya. It's an excellent series, I do [B]strongly[/B] recomend seeing it.

I think everyone else has mentioned what I wanted to say, [B]D.Gray-Man, Trinity Blood, BLEACH[/B].[/SIZE]

DN Angel is another anesome anime! The Characters are amazing, Storyline and etc are too ultra anesome! You much see this series.

Rurouni Kenshin is real classic! this anime has lots of action! It's another one you got see! Believe me!!!XD

Fruits Basket is a heart warming series! All the characters and storyline as well are so ultra amazing! Also gotta see!!!XD

This are a few animes you will love! I can't put it in to any other words but you just gotta watch them!XD