DaSilva Posted February 21, 2007 Posted February 21, 2007 [SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]Alright, my friend Bebo and I are currently in a debate over the pronunciation of "Hylian" as in the Hylian Shield from the Zelda games. I say that the "hyl" in Hylian makes the sound like the word "hill," while he says it sounds like "heil"(the nazi greeting). What do you guys think?[/FONT][/SIZE]
Ellerby Posted February 21, 2007 Posted February 21, 2007 [COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]I always pronounced the "Hyl" as "High." Especially since we know for a fact that Hyrule is pronounced High-rule. I would assume it's the same for Hylian or Hylia.[/FONT][/COLOR]
James Posted February 21, 2007 Posted February 21, 2007 [font=arial]Yep, I've always pronounced it as "highlian", if that makes sense.[/font]
Desbreko Posted February 21, 2007 Posted February 21, 2007 [color=#4B0082]Hylian hī·lēăn (hi lee an) As quoted from Zelda Universe's [url=http://www.zeldauniverse.net/content/view/475/471/][u]pronunciation guide[/u][/url]. Those are the most commonly accepted pronunciations for some odd Zelda names.[/color]
2010DigitalBoy Posted February 21, 2007 Posted February 21, 2007 [COLOR=DarkOrange]Mine has always been hill-eye-an. Whylt this doesn't make sense in conjuncture with Hyrule, we should all turn to the Japanese direct translation before making a statement. English has too many pronunciations, in Japan 'ki' and 'ki' always sound the same lol.[/COLOR]
Gavin Posted February 21, 2007 Posted February 21, 2007 [quote name='James][font=arial']Yep, I've always pronounced it as "highlian", if that makes sense.[/font][/quote] [SIZE=1]Same here, just always seemed to make more sense than "hillian" to me.[/SIZE]
Xyandar Posted February 23, 2007 Posted February 23, 2007 Yeah since the first zelda its always been Hylian like 'High'lian. I know there have been some times and some other words in that game that have made me look twice and have to see if its pronounced right lol. But I pronounce it Highlian.
Rachmaninoff Posted February 24, 2007 Posted February 24, 2007 [QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]Hylian hī·lēăn (hi lee an) As quoted from Zelda Universe's [url=http://www.zeldauniverse.net/content/view/475/471/][u]pronunciation guide[/u][/url]. Those are the most commonly accepted pronunciations for some odd Zelda names.[/color][/QUOTE]I didn't even know there was a guide on how to pronounce it. However, that is exactly how I have always said it. The other choice just didn't make sense and never occurred to me.
DaSilva Posted February 24, 2007 Author Posted February 24, 2007 [QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]Hylian hī·lēăn (hi lee an) As quoted from Zelda Universe's [url=http://www.zeldauniverse.net/content/view/475/471/][u]pronunciation guide[/u][/url]. Those are the most commonly accepted pronunciations for some odd Zelda names.[/color][/QUOTE] [SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]If they don't say the names aloud in the games, how can there be a pronunciation guide?[/FONT][/SIZE]
Desbreko Posted February 24, 2007 Posted February 24, 2007 [color=#4B0082]"Most commonly accepted." There aren't official pronunciations but the guide lists how most people (myself included) pronounce those words.[/color]
DaSilva Posted February 24, 2007 Author Posted February 24, 2007 [quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']"Most commonly accepted." There aren't official pronunciations but the guide lists how most people (myself included) pronounce those words.[/color][/quote] Ah, I see. I was confused there for a while.
Tatsubei Yagyu Posted February 25, 2007 Posted February 25, 2007 [COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I feel pretty dumb, as I used to call it a loooong time ago, "Hyrulian Shield" until my brother 'nicely' told me there was no 'rule' in it. :animeswea [/FONT][/COLOR]
Roleni-Chan Posted February 25, 2007 Posted February 25, 2007 When I saw it in Icons (a show of technology recognition) a while back in G4TV, it said in Highlian...its the same way you would put Hylia, Highlya. But does it really matter?
SunfallE Posted February 25, 2007 Posted February 25, 2007 [COLOR=RoyalBlue][quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']Hylian hī·lēăn (hi lee an)[/color][/quote]I never thought about it before, but that is how I've always said it. [/COLOR]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now