OtakuBoards

Your "To Buy" list?

2010DigitalBoy

[COLOR=DarkOrange]With both music and movies, there's always a whole lot of stuff coming out ever-frequently. we can't always keep up, and sometimes we end up eyeballing a couple albums for a while, or waiting till you've got the extra cash for that season box-set.

What are you looking to buy? Personally, I make these lists semi-compulsively all the damn time, so rather than waste my paper right now, sticking it in my jacket pocket, and forgetting it's there, I figured I'd give everyone the chance to post a list they can't forget here.

My list:
CDs

1. [B]Type O Negative [/B] - [B]Dead Again [/B] - Being that I'm a pretty big Type O fan, their newest release is a definite hotspot on my list. From what I've heard, the lyrics have a lot of Christian influence, which is far from my style, but you really can't go wrong with Type O. The two tracks I've heard so far were brilliant, so i'm sure this will be a spectacular release.

2. [B]Ensiferum [/B] - [B]Ensiferum/Iron [/B] - Ensiferum disks are rather hard to come by, which is a shame because they play some of the most grandois, uplifting heroic folk-metal ever to be created. I've heard quite a few trracks by them that I like from either CD, so if I ever spot one of them I'd be sure to scoop it right it. I'm leaning toward the ST cuz it has two of the songs I love, but the other one has [B]Into Battle[/B], the ultimate Viking anthem, so it won't be an easy choice.

3. [B]Mogwai [/B] - [B]Mr. Beast [/B] - I have a bit of a hang-up with this one. That being the fact that it is just under 45 minutes long. Customarily I never buy anything under 50 minutes long, but I have before with disks such as [B]Pearls and Brass's The Indian Tower[/B], and thats one of my alltime favorite CDs, so I suppose it could go well. Almost everything I've heard by this post-rock band blows me away.

4. [B]Unearth [/B] - [B]III - In The Eyes of Fire [/B] - It seems like a weird choice for me, seeing as it's a hardcore band and I hate hardcore, but these guys play some generally great music with outstanding riffage on certain tracks. This one is a maybe, really, if I have the extra dough.

5. [B]Dream Theater [/B] - [B]Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence [/B] - Their album [B]Train of Thought [/B] is one that I consider one of my more wise purchases, but their earlier CD, [B]Awake[/B], is one of my least favorite. The thing about this is, ToT is considered their 'heavy' album, and since Awake is an example of their sound when not heavy, I'm scared to buy the other albums. Namely this one cuz it's 25 bucks (but two disks.) So far what i've heard was great, so I really do want to buy this.

Later this year ther is a [B]Dream Theater [/B] and an [B]Opeth [/B] album slated for release as well, both of which I look forward to. [/COLOR]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2]Here is my own CD list. I won't list all the CDs that I want to get for then the post would be way to long. [/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][b]Wednesday 13~ Transylvania 90210: Songs of Death, Dying, and the Dead- [/b]I have heard two of the songs from this CD, I Walked With A Zombie and Bad Things. The singer is greatly influence by Alice Cooper and you can hear it in his songs. I also already have Fang Bang, which is their second CD.[/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][b]Murderdolls~ Beyond the Valley of the Murderdolls- [/b]This was the band before Wednesday 13. They bands were both founded by the lead singer most commonly called Wednesday 13. I have heard a few songs of from this album as well, their cover of Billy Idols White Wedding and Dead in Hollywood. [/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][b]Wednesday 13's Frankenstein Drag Queens[color=black]~ [/color]Little Box of Horrors[/b]- I want to collect all the CDs that singer Wednesday 13 has done. This way I can compare and contrast between when he was with each band and if he has changed or not when it comes to his music. [/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][b]Wednesday 13's Frankenstein Drag Queens~ 6 Years, 6 Feet Under the Influence-[/b] Same as the above comment for Little Box of Horrors. [/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][b]Lacuna Coil~ Karmacode[/b]- My friend showed me this band. Once I heard the songs Our Truth. It got me hooked. I have heard the other songs by them but this is their most resent CD. [/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][b]Nightwish~ Highest Hopes: The Best of Nightwish-[/b] I kind of already have this album for I ripped it on to the computer from the library. I like to have the albums in my hands to just saving them onto the computer. I also already know that I like the songs.[/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][b]Type O Negative~ The Best of Type O Negative[/b]- I have been told by my friends to get the greatest hits album before I start to buy the rest of their albums. This also gives me a chance to see if I really like them besides the small glance of the songs when I hear them on Music Choice Metal. [/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][b]Cradle of Filth~ Thornography- [/b]I again what to have one of their albums instead of having to hear a song here and there on Music Choice Metal. [/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][b]Sisters of Mercy~ A Merciful Release[/b]- A few of the bands I listen to are greatly influenced by Sisters of Mercy. To get to the roots of some bands you need to go and see what they think is good music. This can also show what the influence did and to see if you can hear it in the other band. [/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][b]Jason Michael Carroll~ Waitin' in the Country- [/b]Time to throw in the oddball in my music CD list. I have always been a fan of country music, which some people find strange. This guy has a nice voice that I could listen to when my heard hurts and don?t feel like listening to any type of rock music.[/size][/font] [/font]

[B]Taake - [/B] [B][I]Nattestid Ser Porten Vid[/I][/B]: I want this because Taake is brilliant. This is simply one of the coolest black metal albums I've ever heard. It's not blast-and-screech Darkthrone worship. Every single song on this album has the most infectuous melodies and hooks, yet they still retain their vicious black-metal edge. There are folksy moments, epic moments, and grit-your-teeth-and-smile-'cause-you-just-gotta-headbang moments throughout without skipping a beat. I downloaded it, devoured it, and the album must be mine.

[B]Taake[/B] - [B][I]Over Bjørgvin Gråter Himmerik[/I][/B]: See above.

[B]Taake[/B] - [B][I]...Dødskvad[/I][/B]: See above.

[B]Leviathan[/B] - [B][I]The Tenth Sub-Level of Suicide[/I][/B]: Sometimes, I'm just in the mood for some really, really dark music. This album encompasses it all: rage, torment, depression, hatred, longing, the works. I love the gritty, nasty sound of the production job, and the atmosphere couldn't be more tangible. I need the actual album in my hands, as I'm sure the booklet is very cool.

[B]Leviathan[/B] - [B][I]Howl Mockery at the Cross[/I][/B]: This is a very cool black metal album that isn't afraid to stray from the traditional "rules" of black metal. And anyway, the entire album is worth the unbelievably f***ing cool "Those Slimy Things Are Real". I cannot get enough of that song.

[B]Otyg[/B] - [B][I]Älvefärd[/I][/B]: There's no denying that Otyg is simply one of the coolest folk metal bands around. Every single song gets immediately stuck in your head, and you can't help but sing along (it doesn't matter if you don't know Swedish - you'll be singing along anyway :p ). I love every last song on this album. It's very, very difficult to find an actual copy of the CD, but I can't live with just a digital version for much longer!

[B]Otyg[/B] - [B][I]Sagovindars Boning[/I][/B]: See above.

[QUOTE=Cat14][font=Comic Sans MS] [font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][b]Wednesday 13~ Transylvania 90210: Songs of Death, Dying, and the Dead- [/b]I have heard two of the songs from this CD, I Walked With A Zombie and Bad Things. The singer is greatly influence by Alice Cooper and you can hear it in his songs. I also already have Fang Bang, which is their second CD.[/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][b]Type O Negative~ The Best of Type O Negative[/b]- I have been told by my friends to get the greatest hits album before I start to buy the rest of their albums. This also gives me a chance to see if I really like them besides the small glance of the songs when I hear them on Music Choice Metal. [/size][/font][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Transylvania 90210 [/B] is a great album if you like their style, has a lot of great tracks on it. [B]I Walked With a Zombie [/B] is pure win, though they have some other greats like "[B]Haunt Me[/B]" and "[B]Elect Death For President[/B]". If you want to buy this CD you must be ready for blatantly gothic humor that can sometimes be throughly cheesy but also awesome XD. For instance in [B]'Buried by Christmas' [/B] he tells santa he want 'A casket with velvet inline and black trim... oh yeah... and a bucket of chicken!'

As for [B]Type O Negative[/B], don't go for the Best of disk. If your going for a compilation, I suggest [B]The Least Worst of Type O Negative[/B], though I actually reccommend neither. Skip introduction and go straight for [B]Bloody Kisses[/B], one of the greatest albums ever created. It's got songs from every style they've written in, and all of their best songs are on it. It's like a best of on one album XD.[/COLOR]

[color=indigo][size=1][font=arial][B]Mindless Self Indulgence - Tight[/B]t: I know they're essentially immature ravers at the start of their career, but it's for completeness, you know? Also, even if their work was as irrelevant as Bush at the start, their songs are always crazy nuts anyway.

[B]Mindless Self Indulgence - Alienating Our Audience[/B]: This is a live album, and I can't find it anywhere. : (

[B]Mindless Self Indulgence - You'll Rebel To Anything[/B]: This is the album I got into them through, and it's pretty ****ing fun, for 22 minutes of songs. It and Frankenstein Girls pushed them into my Last.fm top 5.
[B]
Marilyn Manson - Portrait of an American Famil[/B]y: It's a fun album, albeit nowhere near as complex as later albums, and every chance I've had to get it has been foiled. I will persevere.

[B]TISM - tism.wanker.com[/B]: Come on, it's TISM. This is their first album after their breakout album, and though it's a bit samey, I want it nonetheless.
[B]
Leftöver Crack - **** World Trade[/B]: I love Leftöver Crack, I've been looking for this album for years.

That's all I can think of for now.[/font][/size][/color]

[QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][color=indigo][size=1][font=arial]
[B]
Marilyn Manson - Portrait of an American Famil[/B]y: It's a fun album, albeit nowhere near as complex as later albums, and every chance I've had to get it has been foiled. I will persevere.
[/font][/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[font=arial]Has it just been hard to find? It's interesting because you can get that album everywhere down here. I have a copy and my sister got a copy not long after (even Smells Like Children and Remix & Repent were plentiful down here, haha).

The only album I'm looking forward to right now is Eat Me, Drink Me. I listened to a preview of Heart Shaped Glasses though and I totally disliked it.

Some articles have suggested that much of the album is reminiscent of Mechanical Animals, which I love. So hopefully I won't be disappointed with the other tracks.[/font]

I don't know how the hell I forgot these, seeing as they're on the top of my list!

[U][B]Woods of Ypres[/B] - [B][I]Against the Seasons: Cold Winter Songs from the Dead Summer Heat[/I][/B][/U]: Woods of Ypres is so incredible... I get chills listening to them. This album is short (it was originally inteded as a long EP, but they re-released it with better production and whatnot, and it's pretty much their debut album). But what it lacks in length is utterly made up for by every track being incredible. "Sea of Immeasurable Loss" and "A Meeting Place and Time" are pure gold. Absolutely incredible songs, and worth the whole thing just by themselves. I love this album start to finish, and I wish it weren't so damn hard to find!

[U][B]Woods of Ypres[/B] - [B][I]Pursuit of the Sun and Allure of the Earth[/I][/B]: [/U]Alright, so [B]Opeth[/B] and [B]Agalloch[/B] fans rejoice. Big-time. This band is right up your alley if you love the aforementioned masters of lengthy, melancholy songs with lots of atmosphere and transitional sections. This album is much less raw than "Against the Seasons", and has a lot more clean vocals, acoustic parts, what have you. Even the damn lyrics are good! Oh, and the first track "Intro - The Looming of Dust in the Dark (and the Illumination)... don't let the word 'intro' fool you. Even the intro frigging rules. If you're a fan of emotional, passionate, awesome transitional metal, find this album NOW. I must own a copy, but it's out of print and there aren't any on eBay (at least last time I checked), so this one's been tough. I'll find it one of these days.

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I may have to remove[B] Dead Again [/B] from my list. I heard their new single, the 10 minute track [B]Profits of Doom[/B], and it was utterly horrible, paling in comparison to anything they've ever written. Worse yet, Christian faith has bathed all their lyrics. I respect bands and their faith, but this is just rediculous and forceful. The worst part is, I've read about the album, and there's a 14-minute song on there, which sounds like a good thing, but it's about their disapproval of abortion!!! Now, I have no opinion on abortion, but what a gay thing to sing about!!!!

As for you, [B]Jakehammaren[/B]! You have just added to disks to my must-have list! After listening to a few songs on their website, I absolutelly love this damn band! [B]A Meeting Place And Time [/B] is an absolutely beautiful, deep, wondrous track. I know already I'll be reopening this webpage many times in the future![/COLOR]

[size=1]Oh, hell... there are so many CDs I want to buy, good thing I'm getting a job. Haha!

[b]Killwhitneydead[/b] - [i]Nothing Less Nothing More[/i] and [i]Hell To Pay[/i]... I've been listening to the new songs from these albums on KWD's MySpace pages, and I love them. So, obviously I want to get them as soon as they are out. I only wish they were coming closer to my area on their tour. :(

[b]the LoveCrave[/b] - [i]The Angel and the Rain[/i]... I've had my eye on this CD ever since it came out, but I don't think it's been released in America, so I have to buy it online and pay for shipping... bleh. Oh well, it'll be worth it, I really have an ear for this band.

[b]Porcelain and the Tramps[/b]... So, okay, their first CD isn't even out yet... but, still! They are my favorite band, and I am nearly about ready to pee myself in anticipation for this release. Supposedly, they are still recording... so I still have awhile to wait.

I don't really care which albums, I just want [I]something[/I] from [b]Arch Enemy[/b] and [b]Moonspell[/b]. Argh.

Oh, and on a slightly different note, I want [b]Cansei De Ser Sexy[/b]'s CD. Haha![/size]

[FONT=Arial]Right now I can only think of [B]An American Paradox[/B] and [B]Exile in Oblivion[/B], both by [B]Strung Out[/B]. I first heard this band on Punk Goes Acoustic, and after hearing the original version of Velvet Alley I decided to hear some more. I've only heard three different songs but I already really like this band.[/FONT]

[quote name='Fyxe][size=1][b]Killwhitneydead[/b] - [i]Nothing Less Nothing More[/i] and [i]Hell To Pay[/i']... I've been listening to the new songs from these albums on KWD's MySpace pages, and I love them. So, obviously I want to get them as soon as they are out. I only wish they were coming closer to my area on their tour. :([/size][/quote]
[font=arial][size=1]YESSSS!!!
Well, sorry they're not coming to your area. They live in my backyard and I'm pretty good friends with them, Matt especially.

I just got Panthers - The Trick in the mail today and the last half of the cd is amazing, but I don't know why they'd put a lot of their weaker songs near the top. Maybe the band and I have different points of view on their work.

As far as albums I'm waiting for, the KWD albums top my list, but there's also the new albums by This Will Destroy You, Circle Takes the Square, Usurp Synapse, and The Number Twelve Looks Like You. This is going to be a good year for music.

I mean, duh, RUSH is coming out with a new album!
RUSH, man. RUSH![/font][/size]

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=arial][size=1]YESSSS!!!
Well, sorry they're not coming to your area. They live in my backyard and I'm pretty good friends with them, Matt especially.
[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Ahhh, lucky. The only band that I can say I know is Dark Arrival. And that's because it's a local band that my step brothers are in. :P They just started doing shows, and we're getting a recording studio in our town. So, I wonder how they'll do in the future.

Anywho.
I guess another thing I want is the next album from [b]Melody Club[/b]. They are a really fun powerpop band that I like to dance to. :) "Fever Fever" is a verrry delicious and addicting song.[/size]

[font=arial][size=1]By the way...

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]3. [B]Mogwai [/B] - [B]Mr. Beast [/B] - I have a bit of a hang-up with this one. That being the fact that it is just under 45 minutes long. Customarily I never buy anything under 50 minutes long, but I have before with disks such as [B]Pearls and Brass's The Indian Tower[/B'], and thats one of my alltime favorite CDs, so I suppose it could go well. Almost everything I've heard by this post-rock band blows me away.[/COLOR][/quote]
BUY IT.

That is seriously one of the best cd's I have, and it was probably the best album that came out last year. It's definitely some of their best work, and if you like their older stuff, then you will be absolutely floored by this.

&also, I heard there's a new Dillinger Escape Plan album coming out in September? That's such a loooong wait.[/font][/size]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]
As for you, [B]Jakehammaren[/B]! You have just added to disks to my must-have list! After listening to a few songs on their website, I absolutelly love this damn band! [B]A Meeting Place And Time [/B] is an absolutely beautiful, deep, wondrous track. I know already I'll be reopening this webpage many times in the future![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Thanks man! I know, [B]Woods of Ypres[/B] is amazing. That song (A Meeting Place and Time) is off the rawer first album... I imagine you'd like [I]Pursuit of the Sun and Allure of the Earth[/I] even more! It's way, way more transitional, which seems to be something you like a lot in music. Definately try to find it for download (it's out of print and absolutely impossible to find - yes, even on eBay). Although apparently, they're going to remaster and re-release it after [I]Woods III - The Deepest Roots and Darkest Blues[/I] comes out.

[IMG]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q234/Leon_Fury/SilentAlarm.jpg[/IMG]

[SIZE=1] [B]Album:[/B] Silent Alarm: Remixed
[B] Artist:[/B] Bloc Party

I want to rebuy this album cos it accidentaly got shipped with my realtives to the Far East, best remix record to date. It's got as much energy as the orginal record, but it has this club feel to it.

I love the opening track: [B] Like Eating Glass [Zapatista Mix][/B] / Bloc Party Vs. Ladytron. It sounds like they playing five blocks away.

from there it goes into this very earthy feel, as opposed to the frantic of the orginal, I'm not saying that's bad, it's just sets people up for [B] A Weekend In The City[/B].[/SIZE]

[font=comic sans ms]As far as music goes. I'm not buying anything. I let my family buy / download all of the music, and I just listen to their stuff. All of it is mainly gospel, so I'm pretty content with it.

However, I am buying (or considering to buy, once I get some good money rolling around.) a few movies and tv shows.

[b]24[/b] - I just can't get enough of this series. Even having all them stupid people that makes me yell at the tv can't keep me away from it, and there are quite a few people in it that are stupid, to the point where they deserve to get killed, and whatnot. With all that being said though, it's highly addicting, and I just have to see everything without the commercials.

[b]Friends[/b] - I didn't really start watching this series until season 5. (maybe 6) And what they're playing now are all over the place. I don't know if they're playing the shows in order, and I have to see it from the 1st season. (I didn't even know that started in 95 until season 10 rolled around.) I also like to see the bloopers to these tv sitcoms for even more laughter.

[b]The Protector, Ong Bak[/b] - Pretty much anything Tony Jaa related. I can watch these movies pretty much all day, everyday. It was good to see a martial arts movie without the use of wires, making everything look phony. If I could've kept the movies from blockbusters, I would've, but unfortunately, my folks wanted different movies.

That's all for now.[/font]