[*]Shadow Of The Day
[*]What I've Done
[*]Hands Held High
[*]No More Sorrow
[*]Valentine's Day
[*]In Between
[*]In Pieces
[*]The Little Things Give You Away [/list][/indent]

Minutes to Midnight is the new album by Linkin Park, that has been scheduled for release at the 15th of May, 2007. Which is in ten days. The date is drawing nearer and nearer. By this time however, the album has already leaked, which was the reason for me to start this thread.

I got to hear the album and must say that I think it's really great. To start, it's more open than the past few albums. By revamping their style, they got rid of that silly underground attitude that made no sense anymore, as they were way too popular for that. It's an a lot more clean album. Some things you'll notice quickly is that Chester's voice doesn't get dubbed as much, Joe Hahn - Turntables, Samples, Beats - has a lot less influence in the songs, as well as the lack of rapping by Mike Shinoda. In fact, the song [b]In Between[/b] on Minutes to Midnight is [i]sung[/i] by Mike himself. How's that for a change? Don't be afraid, he still raps on some songs (for example [b]Hands Held High[/b], which sounds very Mike).

There's a bunch of songs on the album like [b]Bleed It Out[/b] and [b]No More Sorrow[/b] that are really catchy and I'd even consider them more solid than what we've heard of Linkin Park before. There are also more calm songs on the album (for example [b]Shadow Of The Day[/b]), which are quite refreshing after two albums of mainly beat-driven raps and yelling (which I don't mind listening to, but I don't really need a third album filled like that in my list of CDs). Though the first song on the album ([b]Wake[/b] is an instrumental introduction of about 1,5 minutes): [b]Given Up[/b] is very comparable to their old sound and includes a very impressive 17 second shout by Chester.

Some of the songs didn't really strike me at first, but they just needed to grow on me. If there'd be a song that I would skip in the album, it'd probably be [b]Valentine's Day[/b] which is just the least powerful one. Either that one or [b]In Pieces[/b] which has a really odd beat in it right from the beginning.

Eh, I will stop about it now. :whoops: I say that this album is really worth looking forward to and I'm definatelly going to buy it when it comes out.

[b]PS:[/b] There was already a thread, but it was dedicated to the first single and filled with silly speculations based solely on that single. I wanted to create a new - prettier - thread for the album itself.[/size]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I'm a pretty good fan of [B]Linkin Park [/B] - I grew up listening to them. I really like [B]Meteora [/B] and [B]Hybrid Theory[/B]. Just about everything I liked about those albums, though, you basically just said they took out. And that single sucks, which says something about the album, and plus all the things you said. They have become U2, it's DISGUSTING.[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]I'm a pretty good fan of [B]Linkin Park [/B] - I grew up listening to them. I really like [B]Meteora [/B] and [B]Hybrid Theory[/B']. Just about everything I liked about those albums, though, you basically just said they took out. And that single sucks, which says something about the album, and plus all the things you said. They have become U2, it's DISGUSTING.[/COLOR][/quote][size=1]How did I never notice that you were Tical? It's so obviously you, the git.

I'm really sick of people whining about the album based on that one single and expecting a band to stay at the same level of music for three albums straight. Boohoo, people improve while you don't.

Besides, I didn't say they took things out. I said they don't overdo it as much as before. This album is a lot more clean and controled than what we've heard before of Linkin Park, and they got rid of the teeny angsty-emo lyrics. So yes when you consider that you prefer crap over music like I've noticed in other threads, this album probably isn't much good for you.[/size]

[COLOR=Blue]I love Linkin Park, but I hate some of their rapping. now yeah, I hate the U2 look, and I despise U2 with a fiery passion. Anyways I'm getting that CD. Always wondered what a song by Mike was like. I can't wait![/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Boo][size=1]How did I never notice that you were Tical? It's so obviously you, the git.

I'm really sick of people whining about the album based on that one single and expecting a band to stay at the same level of music for three albums straight. Boohoo, people improve while you don't.

Besides, I didn't say they took things out. I said they don't overdo it as much as before. This album is a lot more clean and controled than what we've heard before of Linkin Park, and they got rid of the teeny angsty-emo lyrics. So yes when you consider that you prefer crap over music like I've noticed in other threads, this album probably isn't much good for you.[/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]WTF? Now your going to drag personal preference down for the count. **** your idea of what's 'good'. did i say that their new sound 'wasn't good?' no. I said The single sucked and they sounded like [B]U2[/B]. some people like U2, I'm no voice of what's 'good', but I'll tell you one thing, I freaking hate U2 and this crap sounds like freaking U2. I like their old sound - I like the basement sound and I like the angsty lyrics cuz guess what? I connected with them, I liked them, I felt what they felt, I enjoyed [B]Chester [/B] and [B]Mike Shinoda's [/B] way of singing and writing. I liked the rap lyrics, i really liked the techno. Hell, that was all the band really had going for them. Their instrumentality is uninspiring and bland, their style is cliche. Every ounce of their musical capability screams 'pop-rock band' but they threw it off the tracks with their combination of rap and rock and they helped bring that type of fusion to the forefront of popularity at the time. Everyone though LP kicked ***, i thought they kicked ***, most people still think they kick ***. So if they kick *** with thier old sound, and that old sound is gone, give me one good freaking reason I should listen to this new crap and like it if it's a load of crap?!

And then you're going to come at the bands I listen to and insult them? What kind of hypocracy is that? [/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]DB's right. I mean, I want to get the CD spo I can hear it, cause maybe I'll like it. But U2 s crap, and the music DB listens to (which I listen too also) is great. I also connected with their lyrics from before, hell I still do. The fact of the matter ius, a lot of bands switch musical styles. But for LP, It wouldn't make the greatest impact. I do believe the CD will be good, don't get me wrong. But their old style kicked more than just ***.

DB can listen to whatever music he wants. Who knows maybe Boo's favorite music sucks. Rock is the greatest of musics, and matel is pure uranium. SO Boo, deal with it. DB likes what he likes and you can't change that at all.[/COLOR]

[size=1]Has one of you two even heard the full album yet? Because you're both talking in past tense when it comes to the good things of the band and you both keep repeating that they're U2, even though [b]What You've Done[/b] is nothing like the rest of the album.

Pardon me for attacking the stuff you listen to, but I really can't see why anyone likes that and act all prejeduice about an album you don't even know yet. [/size]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Okay, thanks to [B]Boo's [/B] help I am now listening to the album and will be giving my first impressions. After I've heard it a few more times I will further post my opinions later.

1. [B]Wake [/B] - Okay, so it's and intro. But it IS an epic intro. Better than whatever 'Forward' was meant to be.

2. [B]Given Up [/B] - The bass riff in the verse is pretty cool - I could do without the clapping and tambourines, and... well, it really seems like your average rock song for the most part. ZOMG he just said ****! WTC! Well, at least their being honest now, lol. Overall, it's not a bad song, though it's really just any old rock song with exceptional bass and far heavier than anything LP has done before. It's almost frightening hearing him scream 'take away my ****ing misery' though I guess the band's just growing up with me, lol. Pretty cool. 8/10

3.[B] Leave Out All The Rest [/B] - Kinda reminds me of [B]AFI[/B], which wouldn't be a bad thing ordinarily, but I think AFI can pull off this sound a lot better. Overall, it's not a [i]terrible[/i] song, but one I would skip for the most part. Makes me want to pop in [B]Decemberunderground [/B] just to hear the song done right. 6.5/10

4. [B]Bleed It Out [/B] - What the hell is it with them and clapping in this album? Anyway, the whole thing kinda feels like one big intro for the most part. I like the lyrics, the rap is cool, the chorus is cool, but it just feels like a constant rising action that exists only for the sake of the climax which it never actually reaches. Also, the chorus gets seriously repetitive for such a brief track, I mean like Panic at the Disco bad, lol. 6/10

5. [B]Shadow of the Day[/B] - ZOMG its [B]U2[/B]!! I KNEW IT! Anyway, boring as hell, sounds like U2, worst song yet. Answer = NO! Also, this did NOT need to be 5 minutes long, as that piano stuff at the end is worthless and not interesting 5/10

6. [B]What I've Done[/B] - Already said before... 7/10

7. [B]Hands Held High[/B] - This one was cool for a bit. I really like the rap lyrics, I like the beat, I like the piano. there is only one thing that throws this song off and it's the freaking part where the backround voices start saying 'amen.' Twas just off-sounding. Other than that it's a great song especially when the violins come in. That oice thing is realy weird, though, even when Mike sings over it. By the way, Mike has a good singing voice. 8/10

8. [B]No More Sorrow[/B] - Another heavy one right off the bat. I want to know, though, why they have so many marching drums in this album. The heavy guitars are pretty cool and Chester's voice sounds good with it. it sounds like the kind of screamo songs you see on TV, relly, but LP is good enough to sound better than them, lol. The part where it bogs down and he starts screaming is good for headbanging as well. Prolly the best song yet, though it's edging on your average screamo fare. 8.5/10

9. [B]Valentine's Day[/B] - right of the bat it is once more obvious that they wish they were AFI. It's got a very Decemberunderground feel to it, but once more it just isn't as good as AFI, and once more I just want to go listen to DUG. I think the biggest problem they've had on most of these songs is taking too damn long to pick up. Having the last 30 seconds of a song acceptable doesn't make up for the first 2 and a half minutes. Lyrically, this song is just gay. Just... gay. 5.5/10

10. [B]In Between [/B] - the beginning of this song made me say 'neeto' and also Mike was singing again. i like how the beat rolls in over the violin. It slowly builds as keyboards come in and sounds cool, but once more it just always sounds like it's building but toward nothing. Like this entire album is one freaking leading up to nothing. It REALLY reminds me of one of the songs on Stadium Arcadium that i disliked for the same reason. Least SA had 28 tracks to make up for the fact that 14 sucked. With only 12 songs, having most of them suck is an irrevocable failure. LP have always had slow songs, but they were powerful. This is boring. 6/10

11. [B]In Pieces [/B] - Okay, the beat it unique but Chester's voice doesn't match up with it. I'm guessing that's what you were talking about before. And OH MY FREAKING GOD! Once more it has not picked up until a minte and a half in, and even then it still sounds like it's building. I'm getting mad, it's really aggrivating cuz it's pensive -- you're constantly waiting for something to happen and when it does it doesn't - it never picks the **** up! I'm ready to just skip this song - oh wait here comes a solo. And there goes a solo which was really just a rather uninspired riff played over and over. So the song finally explodes and sounds alright, but once again, it doesn''t make up for all the **** beforehand! 5/10

12. [B]The Little Things Give You Away [/B] - not a bad start, i like the acoustics - I'm just a sucker for acoustics, though they don't seem to be doing much. Not that I should expect them to on this damn album. ...the chorus. holy Jesus. Just look the last song's description, it's like that for this one as well. It's so boring I could fall asleep, no joke. And these damn U2 lyrics, GAH! *looks at time* oh my god this is going to be 6:30?! Alright chorus 2 picks up and the percussions are pretty cool, though everything else sound like faux-Gorillaz or something. It then pulls into something that's kinda cool... I can't believe I'm alredy 4 minutes in, it only felt lie 2 minutes cuz so little happened. Ah, now we have a solo and unlike the last song it's actually a viable solo, though still not particularly interesting. This song sounds like it's retreating from me. It's trying to be a big ending, but it lacks EPIC. It needs epic!!! **** it. I know at the beginning I said i'd post after hearing this more, but I don't think I'll listen to it again. Other than maybe 3 songs, this album is ***. 6/10

It was actually EVEN WORSE than I thought it would be... by a longshot!! i'm ready to go to my room, listen to AFI, and think of how much it sucks that 2 of my favorite bands releast crappy albums this year. My overall score, after the math, comes out to 6.5. [B]LAME[/B]. (by the way, I'd score [B]Hybrid Theory [/B] an 8.4 and [B]Meteora [/B] 8.6)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Well, I heard the entire album a couple days ago. I'm impressed. I grew up loving Linkin Park and it's really neat to see they've changed just like I have. I'm loving the new songs!

There is one song (I'm not sure which it is) that just bothered me. It was almost as annoying as AFI, but oh well. This album was [b]much better[/b] than Meteora and Hybrid Theory. And those albums were [i]good[/i].[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Magenta][B]I grew up listening to LP as well, they've been a big band in my life...but then...I kinda stopped liking them. Their songs were repetitive and such, but I still sing along and etc. when a song is playing. And if Minutes to Midnight is good...even better than the first three albums...then.... I might be interested. I'm wayyy tired of Chester though. That dude gets on my nerves. I swear all of the people I know that like LP like it for that one guy...and his voice hasn't progressed very much. But, of course, I havn't heard the full album yet, so I'll give him one more chance. I like to listen because of the music from the rest of the band...they have a certain hypnotizing feel. But now...I don't like the whole mainstream poppy stuff, so I probably won't like their new stuff anyway. BUT. I shall give it a chance, before I go kill infants.[/B][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]Well I've always been a fan of LP. I admit I like all types of genres. I'm planning on purchasing that album, and I don't care if they have "changed". Sure there may be repeative lines and that whole rap deal, but still yet, who cares? I normally look into the music for it's lyrics and meanings. Not based on it's looks or whatever gets people riled up. As for U2, why attack them, when this thread isn't even concerning them in the first place. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Boo']Pardon me for attacking the stuff you listen to, but I really can't see why anyone likes that and act all prejeduice about an album you don't even know yet.[/quote]
[COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1] Boo, you took the words right out of my mouth. And White, you're cool. As for Kazuwa Nomura, DON'T KILL THE INFANTS. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

I for one, think they kind of sold out with this album.

Don't get me wrong, I love Linkin Park but this album just tosses them in the mold of every wannabe emo band out there right now.

I like a few songs, but i think Hybrid Theory and Meteora were better in the fact that they sounded like themselves, they had a distinct style. And the style just so happened to rock.

Overall i would give it a 4/10.

A point for effort

A point for more mature lyrics

A point for the cool song about New Orleans

A point for the song, Valentines Day....emo as it is....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kakara Rider
I agree i loved them to death but their new cd SUCKS :mad: It makes me mad I even liked them!

[quote name='vegeta rocker']Don't get me wrong, I love Linkin Park but this album just tosses them in the mold of every wannabe emo band out there right now.[/quote][size=1]Wannabe emo band? The only slightly emo song on the CD is the one you picked out: Valentine's Day. The rest isn't anymore emo than the other CD's. Especially not the lyrics, which have just gotten more mature, as you mentioned before. The music doesn't even sound like emo, so I don't know where you based the above comment on. [/size]

[COLOR=Navy][B]I only like given Up, What I've Done, No More Sarrow, and the litle things give you away. The other songs on the CD are horrid. And so people know, LP is not emo in this CD! get a grip people! Just becase the lyrics are sad doesn't mean it's emo. I can't stress that enough![/B][/COLOR]

but this is ok. I think that it's better if you don't listen to it expecting the usual sound... The album's actually pretty good in its own right, now that I'm listening to it for the fourth time. I pretty much grew up listening to LP too, and I definitely prefer their old sound to this, since I think that was what made them so great in the first place. Nhot that I'm against maturation of musical style (or some other way to say that that doesn't sound so damn snobby) or anything... but metal beats U2 any day.

[COLOR=Yellow]
[CENTER]*the sun goes down*[/CENTER][/COLOR]

I dont see why almost everyone dislikes the cd. I wasnt sure what I thought about it at first but when I listened to it a second time I knew. I really like the cd. Now dont get me wrong I like Hybrid Theory and Meteora better but this cd isnt as bad as everybody's making it sound. Change is good you guys!

[quote name='Sazumechan']I dont see why almost everyone dislikes the cd. I wasnt sure what I thought about it at first but when I listened to it a second time I knew. I really like the cd. Now dont get me wrong I like Hybrid Theory and Meteora better but this cd isnt as bad as everybody's making it sound. Change is good you guys![/quote]

I'm with you, Suzumechan. The first listen through, I raised a questioning eyebrow and frowned a bit as I started from track 1 once more. I stopped working on the PC, and just laid back and...listened. After that, I loved it. It was not the Linkin Park I knew (notice the past-tense), but was very good none-the-less. I love it when bands branch out and try new stuff. Who's to say their next effort will be like this or more like their first two: I hope it's something totally unlike either.

If someone is REALLY crazy for hip-hop/metal stuff more akin the former LP albums, there are other bands out there doing exactly what LP was doing. No real loss, people, just something a bit different, and that is superb.

Guest LunaForest
It has gotton very different...Leave out the Rest and Valentine's Day are my tops, but some things i could do without...like in "given up" clapping and keys can go bye bye..."hands held high" can do without the "Amen"s...but other than that its a cool CD

LP is one of the few American bands I like, but I must admit that this album is not up to par with their others in my opinion. Different, yes, but not necessarily in a good way. They seem to lack the passion they once had. I also miss the wonderful imagery they used to use (remember the lyrics for "Forgotten" from Hybrid Theory? Freakin' sweet.).

Though I must admit, I rather like "Bleed It Out" & "Leave Out All the Rest." :3 "Bleed It Out" sounds like it'd be fun to dance to, & "Leave Out All the Rest" just hits home a little for me. :3